McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MindField View Post
    If this is true, and the device is able to be removed, then I obviously misunderstood what my Dr. was trying to say, so my bad.

I only know one person who has the same type of diabetes, and he wears a pump all the time, but he is not an NFL QB.

Still, the complications are likely to increase as Cutler ages, so I wonder how much this would factor in to a teams decision about Jay Cutler.

What kind of doctor did you talk too?

And yes.. I'm sure your friend does wear the pump 24/7. And like you said, he isn't an NFL QB who has a chance to get hit on every play.

I still don't think the trade talks were made because of his condition... No way. That's a bunch of crap.

If Jay stays healthy, eats right, monitors his blood sugar... there is no doubt in HIS mind, his DOCTORS mind, and our minds that he can have a LONG career.

Comment

How am I 'making things up'?

Jay Cutler does have diabetes, and it is not an easily treated disease, and there are complications.

You act as if he is medically 'normal', which is defintiely not the case.

Denial is never a good thing.
      No, what I'm saying is your claim his device is on him all times of the day is you simply making a wild claim to support your reason for trading him.

Diabetes isn't a good thing, but his device getting smashed while in games will never be a problem. Something you could have found out for yourself if you actually did more than speculate.

And while I agree his condition COULD make him a risk as he ages.... to this point he hasn't shown that the way he's been managing it will cause any problems to this point.

To be honest, I'd rather have a Pro bowl quality QB with Diabetes, than a QB who couldn't complete a high percentage of passes in college where his predecessor outdid his stats and ended up as a washout in the NFL.
      Last edited by JoRo; 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel View Post
        Of course the Vikes want Cutler, and so do about 20 other teams right now. But the Vikings have a CRAP pick (#23) and no QB so what do they have to offer?

If the Broncos are going to trade Cutler for a Draft Pick, they should at least get the #1 overall pick and use it to get a potential franchise QB to replace Cutler!

Draft Matt Stafford. Sign a FA to play QB for a year and take your lumps! At least then there'd be some hope for the future, even if McDaniels wasn't around to see it!

IF McDaniels were stupid enough to entertain this trade for one second, he REALLY should be just fired right now and save the rush later!
        That would be logical but it doesn't fit with the win now mentality of the past few weeks. I mean we signed Dawkins because he felt this team could compete. I don't see this team dealing Cutler for anything less than an impact QB +. That is why the Quinn deal might not be the end of the world should it materialize.

I just hope Jay stays and the team can work out the kinks.
        http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...uff/hillis.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
          oh and what, your golden boy has been in the league 3 YEARS and all he can do is 17-20?! Everybody knows Brady Quinn is going to be a better QB than cutler at the end of the day. Oh and btw, Derek Anderson > Jay Cutler

Anderson has actually won 10 games in a season
          GOOD! I hope Browns management was as stupid as you, then there'd be NO chance of Cutler being traded to the Browns! You could keep Brady Quinn and watch as he becomes the next Kyle Boller!
          sigpic

Comment

• Shirley you jest

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
            It's mildly amusing that the only outside team whose fans support McDaniels over Cutler, is New England (nearly every other team has fans who can't believe the Broncos FO can be so stupid). It's even funnier if you consider how the average NE fan would react if Brady were to be put on the trading block in favor of a career backup, that too by a rookie head coach.
            Hey now... I'm not your average fan. Avid Patriot fans keep tuned in on what there rivals are up to. Players coaches etc... However, I do have a selfish interest involving ex Pats. Perhaps you would of ex Bronco's.
            1- Josh didn't win me over until his 3rd year as OC. I was quite skeptical of his experience. But seeing what he could do with Cassel was, well, impressive.
            2- As a Pats fan, I hated Shanny/Elway. Of course I had a great deal of respect for them as well. It always seemed Denver had our number.
            3-I was shocked that Shanny got the axe. But on the other hand, the present Bronco's were a team that couldn't go deep in the playoffs any more.
            4 I've had many casual conversations with fellow Patriot fans on who should be traded, Cassel or Brady? "Brady's not the same guy he was a few years ago" etc...
            5- Cutler, all though he's quite good. He doesn't have "the look" in his eyes ala Brady, Manning, Montana. I'm not sure Bronco's fans understand how much Tom Brady wants to win every game he plays. Does Cutler want it that much?
            Anyway, like all fans. when it looks like it's the end for a favorite player there is some regret. For one, I was confused that Mike Vrabel was traded to KC. at first. He was a great patriot for his 8 years here. A real fan favorite. But that was business. He knows it. The fans know it. Piolli knows he got Cassel, for taking Vrabel's cap hit away from the Pats. Vrabel's trade (who had to immediatly fly to KC that day a pass a physical) was announced a day before Cassels. Hence, no taking Vrabel = No Cassel.
            Like a quote from The Untouchables. "What are you willing to do?"
            The Bronco's haven't been a deep threat in the Playoffs in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoRo View Post
              No, what I'm saying is your claim his device is on him all times of the day is you simply making a wild claim to support your reason for trading him.

Diabetes isn't a good thing, but his device getting smashed while in games will never be a problem. Something you could have found out for yourself if you actually did more than speculate.
              Yeah, yur right, we never 'specualte' around here...

Comment

• At the risk of speaking for someone I disagree with frequently, Mindfield's point was the risk Cutler's diabetes poses to the Broncos. Regardless of whether Cutler wears his insulin pump during games or not, it is a valid point.

If Cutler does end up getting traded for draft picks, and McDaniels comes out and says that his diabetes was the reason, this suspicion will be confirmed. I think it's impossible to disprove that this is a concern for the management (it would have to be).

However, the fact that the FO clammed up about trading Cutler once Cassel was no longer available suggests that the most likely reason for the trade was McDaniels craving the familiarity of the QB he worked with in the past. It fits in with the pattern of signing the NE long snapper to replace ours, even though Mike Leach was considered to be a very good LS.
                Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                  The IDEA of a trade should have never happened...
                  Oh I hear ya. I don't think they should have thought that as well. I can see why they would be interest in Cassel from McD's standpoint for obvious reasons. I'm just saying that unless you know for sure that BB isn't going to bend you over and make you look silly (which he does to former employees)it shouldn't have been brought up.

Comment

• McDaniels is the type of kid that you look at and want to just drill!
                    sigpic
                    "Made by White Dragon - 8/26/10"
                    Great Job & thanks, WD!

"He had a better career than [Hall of Famer Gale] Sayers did, but he is not held in the same regard. Is that fair to Davis?"--Dan Patrick, ESPN

“A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it.” --Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters champion

Comment

Yeah, yur right, we never 'specualte' around here...
                      Never said "we" didn't, what I am alluding to is your speculating when a simple bit of homework (such as a simple good search) would prove your main point wrong (or the point you had meant to make before I proved you wrong) so as not to cause a thread to create a ton of people arguing against you and you resorting to half assed "denial is never a good thing" and such BS.

All I'm saying is do your homework. It was one of the news items of last offseason when Jay found out he had Diabetes, wasn't exactly hard to find.
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyD123 View Post
                        This may seem a bit harsh since I'm not a Bronco's homer. I just feel that a different point of view, is sometimes a good thing. Up front... I'm a New England fan, with a history of how Parcells & Belichick do things when they take over a team, so here it is...
                        Look! McDaniels comes in because he promised Pat Bowlen he's "committed to winning" RIGHT NOW!

If he didn't want Jay Cutler, then he should have made that plain to Cutler, to the media and to the fans when he signed on. He should have said pointedly "we're going to go in an new direction."

Personally, I think that's totally INSANE. He has a QB who just completed his first pro-bowl after his third season. You just can't trade him.

But, that's up to him if he wants to roll the dice and Pat Bowlen is stupid enough to let him. It's their team not mine.

But, having TRIED and FAILED to get his guy in Matt Cassel, he gets NO CONSIDERATION AT ALL!

If he was going to do something like that he'd DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE SURE IT WORKS!

Then he'd better batten down the hatches and get ready for a stormy reception from the fans because the South Stands are going to let him know in no uncertain terms what they think!

If he can pull it off and have a winning season, well and good. If not then he should be fired immediately after the season! Screw him and the horse he rode in on for ruining the team! You don't get to dismantle the one thing about this team that works -- the offense and Jay Cutler, and then say "oops! Guess that didn't work out as well as I though! My bad! Well, better luck next year!"
                        sigpic

Comment

• Yet another thread about blaming diabetes.

C'mon people, it's clear McDaniels simply wanted an easy road by coaching a QB he already knew with Cassel. I don't think diabetes was the issue.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                            At the risk of speaking for someone I disagree with frequently, Mindfield's point was the risk Cutler's diabetes poses to the Broncos. Regardless of whether Cutler wears his insulin pump during games or not, it is a valid point.

If Cutler does end up getting traded for draft picks, and McDaniels comes out and says that his diabetes was the reason, this suspicion will be confirmed. I think it's impossible to disprove that this is a concern for the management (it would have to be).

However, the fact that the FO clammed up about trading Cutler once Cassel was no longer available suggests that the most likely reason for the trade was McDaniels craving the familiarity of the QB he worked with in the past. It fits in with the pattern of signing the NE long snapper to replace ours, even though Mike Leach was considered to be a very good LS.
                            Even if Diabetes was the issue: I can't see the FO stating that as the reason. It'd be bad publicity.

But I do agree with you on the trade originally being nothing more than exploring a player Josh was comfortable with, though I disagree with it now, and did with the LS. Seems like a waste of resources to me. (the LS, not MC)
                            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• i think it would be a big mistake if they trade cutler to the browens for for brady quinn he not a better qb then cutler. cutler is no john elway of any means but hes going to be the next best thing pat needs to put his foot down two his new gm an coach ive been a bronco fan for 25years this is the most dumest thing i'am hearing out of these guys i was on board with the new coach but now i don't think so

Comment

• And this thread is different from the other 4000 how? Any new info in there? Nope.. Nope...

/delete thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X