McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17-20! 17-20!

Just stop it. Jay is more pissed off about 17-20 than you are.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• 3 ways the Broncos and Cutler can move forward

No matter whom you side with, or whether the Broncos' fractured relationship with franchise quarterback Jay Cutler gets repaired, the Josh McDaniels era in Denver has started on shaky ground.

No team in the NFL has dealt with such unnecessary controversy this offseason.

The entire organization has to learn from this. Under the tandem of owner Pat Bowlen and coach Mike Shanahan, the Broncos were known as a team players wanted to play for.

After the McDaniels-Cutler fiasco, that could change. Denver may not be looked at as such a desirable destination after McDaniels engaged in trade talks for Cutler last week, reportedly having considered bringing on board Matt Cassel, who played for him in New England.

The Broncos have announced that they will not trade Cutler now and the two sides are expected to communicate soon in an attempt to mend fences. Even if Cutler and McDaniels, who Cutler has maintained were building a strong, new relationship, can find a common ground, it will hover over the 32-year-old coach as he tries to turn around Denver, which stumbled in the final two seasons of the Shanahan era.

NFL.com Video
      The best moments from Jay Cutler in 2008.

Denver has to learn a valuable lesson from the saga. Things like this just can't happen again. Yes, it could all end well, but this was a serious warning sign for a team that is trying to restore its winning ways.

Here are three areas Denver must pay attention to as it tries to move forward from this public relations disaster.

Bowlen needs to take charge
      : Bowlen is not used to being in the spotlight for such drama. It has to be eating at him.

Bowlen has a reputation around the league as being one of the better owners. He is smart, gives his team what it needs to win and his main business interest is the Broncos. He loves his team and he is a daily presence.

He must become a bigger presence. In fact, Bowlen has to live up to his own words. It starts with him. He seemed to get that when he fired Shanahan. He made a point to say that he would be making the final call on matters.

Under Shanahan, it was well known in league circles that Shanahan ran the show in Denver. Bowlen is a quiet, shy, nice man who has believed his football people should run the football side.

Still, many thought Shanahan took advantage of his ultra-long leash and there were no checks-and-balances in Denver the past couple of years. Bowlen seemed to sense public perception by making a point of saying he'd be more involved after firing Shanahan.
      But, the word around Denver was that McDaniels, 32, was given the keys to the house in the early stages of his Denver tenure, just as Shanahan did.

Now that this Cutler situation has blown up in Denver's face, perhaps Bowlen truly will take charge.

McDaniels needs to be more open minded: McDaniels can make up for this situation quickly, but it is absurd that he is looked at so skeptically less than two months after being hired. Remember, he is six months away from coaching his first game and he's already a villain in some circles in Denver.

But the truth is, McDaniels put himself in this situation. He talked about Cassel despite having a Pro Bowl quarterback who is 25. That raised questions. Why would McDaniels want to trade the younger, more experienced, more accomplished Cutler for Cassel? Perhaps this Patriot Way thing has gotten a tad clouded.

McDaniels has been able to build his team the way he wants and he is making wholesale changes, all the way down to replacing long snapper Mike Leach, who was virtually perfect in Denver in seven seasons, for the equally solid Lonie Paxton. Paxton was with New England. He is good but so is Leach, and many people around Denver didn't think this move was necessary, especially on the first day of free agency with Denver having so many needs on defense. A long snapper is a luxury in free agency and Denver already had a solid snapper.

It is completely within McDaniels' right to construct the team the way he wants but he has to realize that there is a world out outside of New England.

Ultimately, McDaniels' biggest problem was he discussed trading for Cassel and trading Cutler without getting it done. If you are going to investigate this type of dramatic move, you better get it done or it will explode. And, boy, did it explode.

McDaniels is young and he is going to make mistakes. He made a huge miscue weeks into his tenure. He can and he will likely survive it, but he must learn from it.

Reward Cutler: A major theme between the Broncos and Cutler's upcoming meeting will likely be trust.

The Broncos said this week that they will not trade Cutler, and they were emphatic about it. Still, the meeting will likely be lively to say the least. Cutler told ESPN's Chris Mortensen last week the Broncos were denying seeking a trade while he said he knew for a fact they were in trade discussions. He wants the Broncos to level with him.

Cutler will certainly want to be reassured when he meets with McDaniels. Cutler is open to talking and staying, but those close to him say he wants to make sure he can trust the team.
      Yes, Denver said it won't trade him, but since Cassel is off the market there are no clear options as Cutler's replacement. Denver will likely have to do more than just say he won't be traded to appease the quarterback.

Here's what Denver should do: Give Cutler a long contract extension. He has three more seasons remaining on his rookie contract that he signed in 2006 so it would be a bit unusual giving him a new contract with just half of his existing deal over. But it is also unusual to talk about dealing a 25-year-old Pro Bowl player.

Giving Cutler a new contract would be an ultimate sign of good faith by Denver. And it would end any trade discussions or talk of Cutler trying to leave through restricted free agency in two years. It would make life normal again. Denver is teeming with salary-cap room and this would be a good time to do it.

Plus, there is no reason not to. Cutler is a quality player who is going to be in the league for a long time. If the two sides work out their differences, the Broncos would likely want to re-sign him down the road, anyway. Why not do it now?

If the Broncos want to do right by Cutler and make a positive out of this offseason disaster, giving him an extension will go a long way in moving forward and away from this drama.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...e-forward.html
      Nice article by the Billster.

Thoughts on a new contract?

Comment

• Originally posted by japfaff View Post
        I am going to go back to the orig. question cause it seems to me that we have gotten a little off topic... Why am I mad at Jay? Cause he is a little cry baby. He is crying cause he was put on the trading block. Big deal buddy, Joe Montana got traded so can you. He thinks that he is something special in this league and he has nothing to prove it. It is outragous him acting like such a premadonna and never doing anything in tis league. If Peyton or Brady were to act like this I would be more ok with it cause at least they have accomplished something. Win some ball games, win a division, win a few playoff games and then maybe I will hear what you have to say. But right now you are still all stats and no substance.. You need to shut up and just do as you are told. You were the one that asked to be traded. I would actually be pissed off at denver if everyone wasnt on the block. No player is bigger than the team and untradable.
        So you are mad at him because he wants to be a Bronco and is upset that they wanted to get rid of him? I'm not sure how that means he thinks he has done something in the league. I'm sure others get mad as well but just don't get publicity like Jay because they aren't starting QB's.

I would much rather have a guy that wants to be here than someone who is ok with jumping from team to team with no loyalty or care.

Also, we relied on Jay to win us games in his second year starting. We put it ALL on him. He had an inconsistent run game, tons of injuries, an average special teams, and a HORRIBLE defense. You say he hasn't done anything because we aren't in the playoffs? Is that a joke? He single handedly won us 8 games last season. There are about 5 QB's in this league that could possibly have won 8 games with this team. You may think he didn't do anything, but he accomplished a lot last year in my eyes.

Also, I'm sure you would be mad if your dream job told you to move on to another job. I'm not sure why people think Culter should be a robot about everything. The guy wants to be here. Why is that a bad thing?
        Last edited by jhns; 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• I say they dual at high noon.

Cutler being a gun slinger could say, "make my day".

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

• I was talking to a fellow fan in the office here earlier this week, that's what I said.

$$$ seems to heal many wounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhns View Post
              I'm sure you would be mad if your dream job told you to move on to another job. I'm not sure why people think Culter should be a robot about everything. The guy wants to be here. Why is that a bad thing?
              Right on post.

When I talk to people in person on this topic, especially the Jay haters, they look at me like they are choking on a chicken bone when I ask them "Fine, so Jay leaves. Who replaces him?"

And they get that glazed over look because much to their chagrin, they know there isn't a QB in the league you would want replacing Jay in Denver.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• I think that we need to give Jay and Josh a little more time, but once they start to partner up, then "show him some money". I still think Jay needs to impress in terms of how he handles situations, things that don't always equate to arm strength.

Comment

• Simms and Cutler

We are going to like Simms. Good in the clubhouse and works hard. Will not be a problem and will be a team player. Throws a nice deep ball for a positive. Negative is he gets alot of passes batted down at the line of scrimmage

Back in the day, he was on the Jim Rome radio show and Rome asked him the question;" Ok, Chris, if you were a general manager, who would you take in this years draft; Lienart or Young? His response was" Easy, I would take Cutler! He is impressive.... and went on to talk about why he liked Cutler out of school"

Comment

• we needed a decent backup, hopefully he will be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 97BackToBack98 View Post
                      we needed a decent backup, hopefully he will be it.
                      Anyone would of been better than Ramsey. But Simms is even better than my expectations.

sigpic

Comment

• Good move, as I had to jolt myself everytime I thought about what would happen if Cutler got hurt.

Simms had a misfortunate injury, but knows how to play in the big leagues. He comes from a football family, and will be happy to join us. If he and Jay bond, this will be a great acquisition, because I still believe Jay needs a QB friend, someone he can vent to and discuss things with. And I'm sure Simms has matured a lot in a short time.

Like it!!!:thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Good move, as I had to jolt myself everytime I thought about what would happen if Cutler got hurt.

Simms had a misfortunate injury, but knows how to play in the big leagues. He comes from a football family, and will be happy to join us. If he and Jay bond, this will be a great acquisition, because I still believe Jay needs a QB friend, someone he can vent to and discuss things with. And I'm sure Simms has matured a lot in a short time.

Like it!!!:thumb:
                          Cutler doesn't need a QB friend to whom he can vent. He has already proven he will take his whiny ***** routine to the media.

I like the Simms pick up though. It's always good to have a good back up.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• his injury came giving his all for his team. you gotta love him for that. :go:
                            Sean Taylor 21 R.I.P
                            Darrent Williams 27 R.I.P
                            Damien Nash 29 R.I.P
                            John Elway 7
                            Jake Plummer 16
                            Ian Gold 52
                            Al Wilson 56
                            D.j Williams 55
                            Rod Smith 80
                            Shannon Sharpe 84
                            Steve Atwater 27
                            Terrell Davis 30
                            Ed Macaffrey 87
                            Champ Bailey 24
                            John Lynch 47
                            Brandon Marshall 15
                            Jay Cutler 6
                            Peyton Hillis 22
                            Tony Scheffler 88
                            Tom Nalen 66
                            Mike Anderson 38
                            Brandon Stokely 14

Comment

• Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                              17-20............This league is about winning not about arm srength.
                              you guys crack the hell out of me. It's like you forgot the whole reason this team has been so bad for the last few years is due to the defense. I'm not saying he's elway but he's won more games for us than he's lost. And as far as I'm concerned jay was in the right to be pissed. How the hell do you even think about trading a pro bowl qb for a stand in. For gods sakes jay was leading the #2 offense in the leauge last year.

Comment

• Giving Cutler a lucrative extension at this time is the absolute wrong thing to do. Make him prove he can run the new offense first. If he can do that, then they should consider it next year.

I only agree with Williamson on the one point about Bowlen needing to take charge. He never really explained his point about McDaniels needing to be open minded. How much more open minded can you get when you're willing to trade your star quarterback for one that you know can run your offense? He was very open minded to the prospect of pissing off all the Cutler sycophants by talking about trading their favorite boy toy. Imagine what he would be going through if it had actually happened. He was open minded enough to risk finding out.

Why is Williamson not calling for Cutler to grow up and accept that the NFL is a business and that trades get discussed? Why isn't that part of his plan for the Broncos and Cutler to move forward? Why is that players should not be accountable for their behavior? Why does Cutler get to act like a whiny ***** and not be told he should adjust his attitude to conform to the team concept in a team sport?
                                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X