McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I think he tried. It was Cutler crying to the press that forced a rift big enough to require a "conference call".

Talened is quite clearly, not as important as intelligence on the football field. Jeff George was talented too.
    Actually.. it was McDaniels trying to trade a player away as big as Cutler and believing it would have been kept a secret, that caused the rift and caused the media to JUMP on it with both feet. Cutler was alerted by the media, not by anyone else. It was McDaniels refusal to talk to the media and deny (at first) that they were trying to trade Cutler that caused the rift.

As far as "requiring a conference call".. that might have to do with the fact they aren't in the same state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      I edited it for YOU silk... you seemed to have forgotten the obvious difference. But notice that when even the great Manning's defense is around where ours has been, he can't win either. :thumb:

Funny how you missed that part
      Good point.

I should have brought up Carson Palmer instead.

Comment

• I believe packer fans felt the same way after bret left

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          Please. Cutler hasn't talked to the press in over a week. The story had pretty much died down up until this.

There was no need to do anything this week if the Broncos knew Cutler was going to be here next Monday. This was nothing more than for McDaniels to try and establish his dominance, and now it's a big spectacle again. That's not Jay's fault - that's McDaniels' fault.
          Cutler probably didn't talk because there was a meeting scheduled. This is nothing more than Cutler getting hurt because he's tradeable, and not bigger than the organization like he thought he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            If all that McDaniels had to say to Cutler was 'your tradable', then he didn't have anything more to say to Cutler and should have just kept quiet.

And by doing so now a week before workouts, they've made it a much bigger distraction that it would have been had they just kept it quite and spoke to Culter next week. Now there's going to be talk and speculation all week as to whether Cutler will show up or not.

Great message to send there.

I don't see McDaniels' move today as anything other than the 'little man's' syndrome rav adequately stated. You clearly respect that. I see it as counter-productive and futile, not to mention VERY immature.

As I stated, the Broncos need Cutler more than Cutler needs the Broncos. Cutler can make $50 million virtually anywhere. But the Broncos are highly unlikely to find a quaterback as talented as Jay anytime soon.
            That's really the problem with all this. McDaniels, Bowlen and Xanders can play "tough guy" with Jay all they want.

But the bottom line is that the team is totally screwed right now and everybody in the league is shaking their heads at what a fouled up organization the Broncos suddenly are becoming.

Then wait till the season. Without a top QB in this division facing the most brutal schedule the team has had in probably 20 years?

It's going to be a total FUBAR for the next 3 seasons in Denver.

And it just didn't need to happen.

Having screwed up by trying to trade Jay for Cassel and FAILING Josh should should just S T F U and admit to Jay he made a mistake.

Instead he makes things worse. NO resolution.

McDaniels would rather win a power fight than win football games.
            Well, he's going to do neither.

This is 100% McDaniels fault because he didn't need to create this situation. He could have quietly gone about fixing the rotten defense and gotten ready for the season, without all the distractions.

This shows worse than inexperience. It shows blithering incompetence. And a young 33 year old assistant who isn't ready for prime time.
            sigpic

Comment

Wait 1 year and bring in Sam Bradford. We're likely not winning this season regardless. Bradford will be better than Cutler. Taylor made to run an NFL spread.

McDaniels does not need a franchise QB to be successful like Shanahan did. The only probably with Shanahan was he also needed a franchise RB I guess.
              He hasn't been a HC for a single game, and you are saying that He doesn't need a franchise QB despite EVERY team in the NFL needing a franchise QB to succeed????

If you've forgotten... Shanahan was the OC that took Elway to three SBs with no franchise RB, and took Steve Young to his only SB win as well. Seems that McDaniels still has a lot to prove before you can say "he doesn't need" anything.
              Last edited by Ravage!!!; 03-10-2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                Trading Jay Cutler is monumentally stupid.......period.......
                You just have to qualify that and not make a blanket statement.

FOR THE RIGHT PRICE, everybody is expendable.

Comment

• Kiper had Chad Jackson as #12 overall on his "big board" that year, with Jay ranked #20.

Take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Wait 1 year and bring in Sam Bradford. We're likely not winning this season regardless. Bradford will be better than Cutler. Taylor made to run an NFL spread.

McDaniels does not need a franchise QB to be successful like Shanahan did. The only probably with Shanahan was he also needed a franchise RB I guess.
                    Look silk. You're a great poster, and I love debating you as much as I love agreeing with you.

But you're being completely speculative here. McDaniels doesn't need a franchise QB? Every elite coach does.

Lombardi.
                    Noll.
                    Landry.
                    Walsh.
                    Seifert.
                    Shanahan.
                    Belichick.
                    Dungy.
                    Cowher.

None of those coaches won anything without an elite franchise quarterback. None.

I think it's clear you've made up your mind about Cutler, which is fine. Many fans made up their minds about Elway pretty early in his career too. Hopefully the Broncos keep Jay around long enough to prove you wrong. If not, you'll see him blossom elsewhere.
                    Last edited by mojo0730; 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chicago-Broncofreak View Post
                      What if Tomlin came in and wanted to trade Big Ben?
                      17 td's 15 int's isn't all that great. Pitt wouldn't need to get rid of him though because they already have a great defense and solid pieces around him. Which i why i was saying i wouldn't mind if we traded cutler for picks or players that would allow for the team as a whole to improve while still winning with a statistically average qb.
                      Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
                      Supporting this staff!
                      Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        Actually.. it was McDaniels trying to trade a player away as big as Cutler and believing it would have been kept a secret, that caused the rift and caused the media to JUMP on it with both feet. Cutler was alerted by the media, not by anyone else. It was McDaniels refusal to talk to the media and deny (at first) that they were trying to trade Cutler that caused the rift.

As far as "requiring a conference call".. that might have to do with the fact they aren't in the same state.
                        McDaniels didn't try and trade him away. He said no to the offer brought to him, according to Adam Schefter. Sounds to me like you don't even understand what the entire story is.

Comment

Good point.

I should have brought up Carson Palmer instead.

how would hat have been a better case for you????

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                            I believe packer fans felt the same way after bret left
                            I was surprised at how mad some Packer fans were when the Pack traded him, I thought for sure they'd be tired of his antics.....die hard fans right there.
                            sigpic

Comment

McDaniels didn't try and trade him away. He said no to the offer brought to him, according to Adam Schefter. Sounds to me like you don't even understand what the entire story is.
                              Sounds to me that you simply want to take that lame story at face value. NOT very many players, nor Cutler, are buying that BS story that McDaniels is throwing around. Perhaps you want to be that lemming and believe that junk.. but its not fooling me.

You don't just have multible teams call you on the same day, and ask to trade for your franchise, pro-bowl, fourth year QB that is still under contract for three more years. Thats a pretty DAMNED big coincidence you are believing there.

Also.. since you say I'M the one that doesn't understand the "story".. the story isn't that McDaniels said "no".. it was he wasn't fast enough and Belicheck nixed the deal to go with the Chiefs. Perhaps YOU aren't up to date on the story.

Comment

• Originally posted by premier-ace55 View Post
                                I disagree I mean we are rebuilding anyways and we havent been winning anyways but if he really doesn't want to be here we could always see if detroit is up for a trade and see if we can get multiple picks. There have QB's with less talent that Jay that has won the Superbowl so understand that the broncos don't need Jay. I've been a Broncos fan as long as i have been alive and I'm not going to ever say that they need anybody. Teams win championships even though it is very important that we have aQB
                                I appreciate your argument but QB is the most important position in football and if you do not have a good one then odds are that you are not going to make it to a super bowl to find out if you can win....especially when you have a defense that is rebuilding and is a long way from being a championship caliber defense...I remember when Baltimore had an average QB and won a super bowl but they also had a good running game and one of the best defenses to ever take a field, the Vikings have a good team that could easily be championship caliber however they do not have a good enough QB and it has been a real problem for them. My point in all of this was that this situation should have never happened in the first place and Jay is not to blame because it did. I am not one to believe that everybody is able to be traded.....yes they may be able to but that doesn't mean that it would be a good decision that won't hurt your team and even if we traded Cutler to Detroit it does not guarantee that we will get a QB that is as talented as him. Good teams treat their good player's accordingly.
                                Last edited by CRAZYTRAINTK; 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X