McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    He hasn't been a HC for a single game, and you are saying that He doesn't need a franchise QB despite EVERY team in the NFL needing a franchise QB to succeed????

Jeebus. How many franchise QB's in the NFL are there? Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlesberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, ........sounds to me like they're a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    If you've forgotten... Shanahan was the OC that took Elway to three SBs with no franchise QB, and took Steve Young to his only SB win as well. Seems that McDaniels still has a lot to prove before you can say "he doesn't need" anything.
    If you've forgotten, the rules of the NFL have changed significantly, to make the game significantly more passer friendly, and much much easier to move the ball through the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by BurgessRudy View Post
      Jay Cutler holds all the cards in this. He didn't talk to Pat Bolwen because he no longer trusts him and wants to get out. His agent knows they will get a great deal for him elsewhere.
      Why would another team trade for a tempestuous, petulant QB? Why would they go after a talent if the fear is he will simply decide he doesn't like it there and cry about something else.

The fact is Cutler has a ways to go on that Rookie contract and Bowlen can simply pay the kid and keep him off the field for 2-3 seasons. Where would that leave Cutler?

Cutler had a right to be mad because McDaniels LIED. However, it should be over by now.

For some reason I think Jay is jockeying to end up with the Titans a place he felt and thought he would be going anyway.

I sided with him at first. Now it is just time to grow up. You are paid to play. Players are mentioned in trade talks. Champ is being mentioned. If anybody should be a Bronco forever or untouchable I would think it would be Champ. Grow up kid and learn what it means to be a professional.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrainmaker View Post
        To what's going on with the fans. Though some of the current fans don't care either way (I would agrue that those fans are more like observers who may watch the game or read about it in the paper). But there are real fans out there...fans like me. Fans who are actually impacted by the outcome of this team. So, apologies for posting this comment in another thread, but I can't just sit back and watch Josh blow everything I've stood for for the past 32 years (since super bowl 12, as a 2 year old in an orange crush Tshirt watching my family cray about putting up a half dozen turn overs in a loss to the Boys).
        For the first time in my life- I'm starting to feel like this is not my team anymore. You know the feeling when your buddies called you and and said, "dude, I don't know how to tell you this, but I just saw your girl kissing on Joe what's his name in the back of Tim's truck on Friday night. I heard they went back to his place and she passed out there, no telling what they did." That's what it felt like when I heard Jay's name being thrown around as trade bait - for Matt Cassel? anyway, here's my comments:
        Here's the deal Josh. You trade my franchise quarterback- or if you allow him to feel like he's expendable- you lost a life-long fan. I lose sleep on Saturday Nights because I'm so nervous about Sunday's performance. I can't eat on game day because it would just make my stomach worse. I've lost years of my life yelling from the stands (both good and bad games). I've lived with the tragedy of replacing the best QB the game has ever seen (don't argue, it's just my perspective). You come in here with your Patriots West mentality and start dangling my new franchise QB out like he's just another player. Bad attitude, maybe- he's young. But you are going to mess this whole thing up if you don't find a way to keep Jay here. And make him feel like he's wanted. Pat, I sure hope you are seeing what you've done to my team (and I represent hundreds of thousands of fans) I fly back to Denver two times a year to see my guys play. That IS my vacation. I pay Direct TV a few hundred bucks every year to make sure I don't miss a single play. You ruin this- I'm done. I'm not the only one either. I am furious at this situation. Head coaches aren't tradable. They just get fired- make no mistake, you are no better that Jay in terms of arrogance and imnaturity. Grow up and make some humbling decisions about how to deal with this.
        Seek counseling immediately!!
        sigpic
        Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS (SuperSport w/Rally Sport package).

Comment

• I don't understand the people that say Jay needs to grow up and that he needs to shut his mouth.........What are you going off of to say that?!?! Seriously, think for yourselves for two seconds, he hasn't said anything at all.....don't just repeat what some columnist said.

And if McDaniel's idea for patching things up is to say what he supposedly said, (no one is above being traded) he's is a bigger idiot than I ever feared. Way to go man...........good start to you first "real" job.

Comment

• I think that they are blowing this up. According to rotoworld, the Broncos thought the discussion went "Possitively." So I think that they are blowing this up. He won't be traded, and I bet he will show up on Monday, and things will start to heal.

"Whereas Jay Cutler emerged from Monday's conference call believing he'll still be traded, the Broncos reportedly felt the discussion went "positively."

The team felt it conducted the call in a "non-confrontational manner," was there to answer every question, and never discussed a potential trade of Cutler. The Denver Post suggests that a move could be expedited if Cutler doesn't report for offseason conditioning, however. The Lions, Bucs, Jets, Bears, and Vikings should all be monitoring the situation closely.
            Source: Denver Post"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=3608

So this might turn into a he said she said, but I think that the Broncos won't trade him, like they say. I think they realize the consequences if they go back on their word. Nobody would want to come play here if they can't be trusted. So lets see where this goes!

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              Look silk. You're a great poster, and I love debating you as much as I love agreeing with you.

But you're being completely speculative here. McDaniels doesn't need a franchise QB? Every elite coach does.

Lombardi.
              Noll.
              Landry.
              Walsh.
              Seifert.
              Shanahan.
              Belichick.
              Dungy.
              Cowher.

None of those coaches won anything without an elite franchise quarterback. None.

I think it's clear you've made up your mind about Cutler, which is fine. Many fans made up their minds about Elway pretty early in his career too. Hopefully the Broncos keep Jay around long enough to prove you wrong. If not, you'll see him blossom elsewhere.
              1)Franchise QB's are much easier to find in this day and age. There are arguably 10-15 in the NFL right now, according to some people.

Cutler isn't the first young talent to come through Denver at the QB position, and he won't be the last, regardless of what happens with him.

Comment

• one of the best articles on this yet...and it just shows people need to REALLY put their feelings aside and honestly put themselves in each pair of shoes, analyze it, and THEN you'll see the real deal...I see this for wat it is....a MISUNDERSTANDING...

Comment

• If you guys are watching SP right now you just heard about the 2nd source from DEN that Cutler and Mcd are actually closer than before due to the whole convo on the phone insuring Jay about him staying in Denver...anybody got more info on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by sullyboy8 View Post
                    "Whereas Jay Cutler emerged from Monday's conference call believing he'll still be traded, the Broncos reportedly felt the discussion went "positively."
                    Seriously? Was that in the report? How dense headed can you be....good grief.

Comment

• Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                      1)Franchise QB's are much easier to find in this day and age. There are arguably 10-15 in the NFL right now, according to some people.

Cutler isn't the first young talent to come through Denver at the QB position, and he won't be the last, regardless of what happens with him.
                      I think in this thread on these boards in general we are in the minority with thinking this way haha talk about some hate mail coming my way haha. Good luck holding the fort down man i tried to talk some sense but no one with have it.
                      Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
                      Supporting this staff!
                      Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

• Originally posted by sullyboy8 View Post
                        I think that they are blowing this up. According to rotoworld, the Broncos thought the discussion went "Possitively." So I think that they are blowing this up. He won't be traded, and I bet he will show up on Monday, and things will start to heal.

The team felt it conducted the call in a "non-confrontational manner," was there to answer every question, and never discussed a potential trade of Cutler. The Denver Post suggests that a move could be expedited if Cutler doesn't report for offseason conditioning, however. The Lions, Bucs, Jets, Bears, and Vikings should all be monitoring the situation closely.
                        Source: Denver Post"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=3608

So this might turn into a he said she said, but I think that the Broncos won't trade him, like they say. I think they realize the consequences if they go back on their word. Nobody would want to come play here if they can't be trusted. So lets see where this goes!
                        Of course the Broncos thought it went positively. McDaniels was able to talk down to Jay in a meaningless phone conversation.

He's probably wetting himself with how well he handled that one!

I don't think it's productive to tell a player you tried moving that he's 'tradable' then order him to report next Monday when he presumably was already planning on being here. If that's considered 'positive' by the Broncos front office, then it's quite clear what they think of Jay, and I can see why Jay still thinks he's going to be moved.
                        sigpic

Comment

Then you know what? Trade him! Get him out of here. I've already stated that that is the only option that will work right now, because McDaniels and Cutler will never get a long.

If you think Cutler is easily replaceable, then the Broncos should have moved him when they had the chance, and they should move him now. If a franchise quarterback is a dime a dozen, then there's no need to keep a disgruntled quarterback you and they feel is worthless on roster, is there? I mean, the Broncos can't be dumber than you or I, right?

So yeah, trade him. Bring in someone else. It's all about system and scheme and nothing about talent. Just ask Mike Shanahan!
                          sigpic

Comment

• I like Cutler, and I hope it works out with him.

But I want a QB who has a bulldog mentality of..."I'll show you", rather than thinking he has a sense of entitlement.

This is what McDaniels knows about Cutler.......A young explosive talent, who's careless with the ball, who's lost more games then he's won, who has a hige arm(Cutler will tell you himself), who has a sulking demeanor and not the best leadership shills, and who throws his defense under the bus even when he isn't performing himself.

Yea, I think Cutler needs to "show him something".

Comment

Rookie playoffs are getting to the playoffs often lately. They should get Sam Bradford. That dude is taylor made to play in the NFL spread. And he doesn't think he's entitled.
                              Some rookies or 2nd year players get CARRIED into the playoffs like Ben Roethlisberger, but they aren't really LEADING their teams there.

How did Big Ben play in his first SB? Like crap. His team with the Bus won that game for him.

Yes, it can happen. The Ravens win a championship despite Trent Dilfer, not because of him, but they had possibly the best defense in NFL history.

The Bucs won a SB with Brad Johnson and a dominating defense, but then they searched for a franchise QB for the next 6 seasons until finally Gruden got fired!

Same thing with the Ravens and Brian Billick. Teams that don't find a great QB to lead them falter and the coach gets fired. And that's despite having a great defense all these years!

Billick made one fatal mistake. He thought Kyle Boller was going to lead his team. It was reasonable at the time. Boller was a 1st round pick with lots of athletic skills. It just didn't work out as these things sometimes happen.

That's just the way things are in the NFL.

And you can't count on ANY rookie to lead your team anywhere.

FACT: The Broncos didn't need to trade Jay. He was fine. They should have just shut up and never thought about trading him and worked on the defense.

Now everything is all screwed up and somehow that's Jay's fault?

The Broncos without Jay Cutler will be the Rams, Lions or Browns. I.e. 4 or 5 wins this season.
                              Last edited by Cugel; 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Jeebus. How many franchise QB's in the NFL are there? Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlesberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, ........sounds to me like they're a dime a dozen in the NFL.
                                Who have been the SB winners the decade?? What teams in the last 10 years have won multible SBs?

Elway (2), Warner (been to three), Dilfer, Brady (Been to 4, won 3), Johnson, Rothlesburger (2), Peyton, Eli

These are the QBs for the last 12 Super Bowls.... TWO have QBs that aren't franchise... and the two that won without a franchise QB.... had Great defenses.

So please. Tell me again how teams don't need franchise QBs.

Comment

Working...
                                X