No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will say this. Tampa probably called and there was no hesitation in saying no to them. But if Detroit called and offered Matt Cassel and their 1st rounder for a tried and true cutler.... I don't hold it against them for "Mulling it over." I think this is what happened. It still probably wouldn't have been the smartest decision but I don't blam them wither way.

Comment

• if Cutler goes to Detriot so would Shanahan

Comment

• Originally posted by joshunderwood View Post
        Sorry guys, I have never posted on these forums before, but the Cutler talk had me wondering what was really going on, so I did a quick google search and found this, and I wanted to post it so you guys could see it as well -

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=110869

- following is the text of the article in case I didn't post the link correctly -

DENVER - According to published reports, the Denver Broncos considered deals this week which would have sent quarterback Jay Cutler packing - rumors that angered the Broncos' passer.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports the Broncos were approached by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who were trying to swing a three-way deal with the New England Patriots which would have sent Cutler to Tampa and brought quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver.

According to Schefter, the Broncos mulled the deal, but ultimately decided against it.

The report also says the Broncos were also approached by the Detroit Lions regarding a similar three-way deal which would have netted them Cassel. Again, the Broncos entertained the deal, but opted against the move.

"Of course, there is fallout to this," Schefter told 9NEWS. "Jay Cutler is aware of all the storylines going out there, he is none too pleased about it. So, Denver is in the process of repairing that relationship. I believe they'll get it repaired."

Both deals fell by the wayside as Cassel was dealt to the division rival Kansas City Chiefs, along with linebacker Mike Vrabel, in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

The Broncos deny any intention to trade Cutler, Shefter says.

"These are the things you go through as other teams call you and try to make a deal," Shefter said. "And Denver feels as if it got caught in the crosshairs and it didn't do anything wrong. They didn't shop Jay Cutler. They never tried to make a deal. Other teams came to the Broncos and obviously this leaked out, and once it leaked out, that's where problems arose." (end article)

So it sounds to me like the whole thing was blown out of proportion. My question is this. If the Broncos were really willing to offer a first rounder and Cutler, or even just a first rounder alone, why would the Pats trade Cassel for only a second round pick? That makes no sense at all.

Everyone should read this and calm the hell down. ESPN is probably just reporting out of their a$$ because technically, there were trade talks between us and other teams for Cutler. When Cutler said that he understands this is a business and is willing to be traded if so wished, I'm almost 100% certain that this got blown into "Cutler Demands a Trade1!!!1!1!"

Wait a week or two, this is going to be gone, and we'll have a sweet season.

Oh, and welcome to the offseason >_>
        Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos_fan88 View Post
          wow shocker... all 5000 posts calling for mcdaniels head were nothing but premature whining, but what else should i expect on these forums
          I wouldn't say Whining, I would say worried or concerned about the next 8 years...Thats how long it took for us to kinda, a little not really maybe replace a Elway like QB and now we might start over. Thats the concern

This story isn't over and will now follow into the entire Season because a QB like Jay will make Great Plays all Year but the Bad ones are the only ones that people remember and If Josh thought about it once, wait until Cutler makes a mistake.
          We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of

sigpic

Comment

• And people are STILL going on about this. CUTLER IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. DENVER NEVER ONCE TRIED TO SHOP HIM.

They were approached by Tampa and Detroit, and denied both trade offers.

Don't listen to retarded ESPN or any other source.

Comment

• Ah, a sigh of semi-relief...

This all makes no sense...

( P.S. -JC4MVP, you sir need to get on youtube, and be the ambassador of all us loyal fans, and profess our love for Cutler...(unless of course you already have, I'll have to check) ahaha...

PPS- I noticed that getlynched47 was banned How come? I didn't mind him most of the time, in fact, he was very informative on some topics. )
              sigpic

:orton: ITS TIME FOR THE ORTONATER!

Comment

• As much as I respect Schefter, I do think if he's getting his information from the Broncos, it's not totally reliable.

My guess is that the real truth is somewhere in the middle. I think McDaniels would jump at the chance to bring in Cassel, even if it meant sacrificing Cutler. But in the end, everyone advised him against it. Unfortunately, whatever time it took for the Broncos to consider the offer allowed the story to leak and get out of hand.

It's just disappointing that the Broncos would ever think to trade away Cutler, especially for Cassel.
                sigpic

Comment

• Man you gotta love the drama. I guess people forget that sports media is still the media and you cant hang on every word. They have to get ratings!!! Chill guys!!!
                  GO BEARS!!!!!!

Comment

• Can't wait for this to blow over!

Typical off-season drama. Keeps the boards going... It's a scam. McD has a defence to build and an offence to make in "his image". After last year, it's take no prisoners!!!

Comment

• http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...be-traded.html

:shake::shake:

Who the heck is this "source" ESPN has?
                      Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

• Maybe the way to repair this relationship is to utilize our cap space and sign Jay to a big contract extension. With the Collective Bargaining agreement issues on the horizon combined with our cap room, maybe this would be the time to lock Jay up for a long time. Just an idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                          'Mulled over' is vague, as is 'ultimately decided against it'.

However, I would think that anything is serious if the initial conversation doesn't end with 'thanks but no thanks'. And 'mull over' does imply a certain amount of thought went into it, even if it is just a few hours (as it apparently was to begin with).

Either way, that gap time allowed this story to explode, and now everyone in the front office has egg on their face.

I just don't see how this would even happen. Cutler should be untouchable as far as I'm concerned, especially if we were going to have to give up our first rounder and be stuck with Cassel.

In the end, I'm glad Cutler appears to be staying. But it's still very dumb that they had to think about it, and it makes them look foolish that they let it get out of control like they did.
                          Originally posted by DeNFrK View Post
                          I will say this. Tampa probably called and there was no hesitation in saying no to them. But if Detroit called and offered Matt Cassel and their 1st rounder for a tried and true cutler.... I don't hold it against them for "Mulling it over." I think this is what happened. It still probably wouldn't have been the smartest decision but I don't blam them wither way.
                          I agree with both. I mean when you are first offered something that sounds like good, with a couple picks (we dont' know what was offered from TB and/or Detroit) and still getting a QB in it... it makes you stop and think, even "mull" over the idea.

But as Mojo said.... its hard not to believe that anything to do with trading Cutler isn't immediately cut off, although we can't really expect that to be reality. Even when there was a chance tht we would have gotten STUCk with Cassel!! (am completely agreeing with mojo on that one... mark the date).

Now its just time we move forward... move on... and feel confident that they will get the fences mended and things going forward.

Comment

• I know this was all blown out of proportion, especially coming from Espn, but it really ruined my damn week! I was sitting there watching some tv and all the sudden they start talking about trading Cutler, and that he demanded a trade and the Broncos denied it. Why the hell wouldnt people overreact?!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by phnomnl_waffles View Post
                              And people are STILL going on about this. CUTLER IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. DENVER NEVER ONCE TRIED TO SHOP HIM.

They were approached by Tampa and Detroit, and denied both trade offers.

Don't listen to retarded ESPN or any other source.
                              He might not be, but, the fact that it has been reported from several sources (including Schefter) that the team considered trading Jay in an attempt to get Cassel is disturbing, and Jay is rightfully upset. Just because the deals didnt happen, doesnt mean they werent a good possibilty, and a couple of words away from being done.
                              sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                              SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

• Per the Denver post

If Cutler is not traded, and he stays with the Broncos, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade.

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X