X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnShaft
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoinseattle View Post
    "I just don't get how it got to that point in such a short period of time," the FOX NFL analyst Troy Aikman said today. "It seems to me that McDaniels had that in mind before he even got that job. That's what was bizarre to me."
    The more I read about it the more it seems that McDaniels just plain didn't want Cutler from BEFORE Day 1 because he was sure a gunslinger would not be the right type of Quarterback for his system. He needed someone solid, if unspectacular, who would do what he wanted on the field. The system relies more on consistently making the right play rather than occassionally making a spectacular one.

After eveything that's been said since, including McDaniels saying Jay was fine for the system, the above fact still seems to lead to irrefutable logic.

1. Cutler is the wrong type of QB for a System QB System (he either wouldn't 'obey' or his talent would be wasted).
    2. McDaniels WOULD want someone to play WITHIN his System.
    3. It therefore makes the most sense to replace Cutler with someone that suited his system while also picking up a lot of value in the trading him.

I can't find any better logic than the above. Words can say anything. Actions, and motivations, are the truth of the matter.

Leave a comment:

• JohnShaft
    replied
    But Bowlen is to blame for all of this. He should have hired a defensive coach and focused solely on rebuilding the defense.
    That thought occured to me a week ago, and I realised why it took me so long, I'd never seen it posted here on the boards.

Really, when your Offense is excellent, and only a running back away from top of the league, why in the world do you hire an Offensive coach?

I mean it's just accepted wisdom that if you need a new Head Coach, and you have one half of your team sorted (O or D), you hire a Coach who is in the top of his field at the other half, and leave the bit that works fine alone.

I can't figure out why this didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hockey Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gideon333 View Post
    It's possible that Cutler's sudden onset diabetes might have factored into McDaniels' thought process when a trade opportunity presented itself.

No one knows for sure how his diabetes will affect him - short or long term. It certainly would make sense to think twice about putting all your eggs into that basket.

As the HC it makes a lot of sense to consider all your options and weigh out all possible contigencies
    Anyone who thinks that Cutler's battling with diabetes and playing the way he did is a negative is sorely lacking in understanding of human courage.

I measure people less by their physical potential and more by their ability to overcome physical limitations by sheer mental manpower. For me, Cutler more than passed the test.

McDaniels has a solid F from me on character for the lack of candor and honesty he has displayed from the start on that Cutler episode. We will see how he handles adversity this coming season. He has a lot to prove to regain my respect.

Leave a comment:

• broncoinseattle
    replied
    Originally posted by Blitzmaster View Post

Okay whether you agree with anything I have written or not, I have a question for you. How do you think last year's Denver Broncos would do against THIS YEAR'S game schedule? Do you think it would still be an 8-8 season? I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on that.
    I think most people who are ticked off about the Cutler trade are upset because NOW we are rebuilding the defense and the offense. I think McD has set this team back years. But Bowlen is to blame for all of this. He should have hired a defensive coach and focused solely on rebuilding the defense. If Bowlen had to do it over again I doubt he hire McD.

So to answer your question, if Bowlen hadn't screwed up this hire, we would have used this draft to rebuild, not passed on Orakpo, and would be in a good position to go 8-8 this year. But this year's team will go 5-11. Last year's team would probably fare no better. I'm not arguing against getting rid of Shanny. I'm just saying Bowlen screwed up the hire and let a rookie head coach set our team back years.
    Last edited by broncoinseattle; 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• psychobear
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFan1088 View Post
    Was just talking about that article with some other Bear fans. The consensus is... we just don't care.

Chicago is a big city and it gets tiring getting hassled for "just a moment" everywhere you go. Urlacher often will refuse to sign autographs or chat with people... we don't care. Most of the fans understand this. I'm not sure if Denver is different as it's a smaller town and a closer community.

There are plenty of sports personalities that are a little rough around the edges... doesn't mean that they are a cancer to their teammates nor does it mean that McDaniels was in the right.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFan1088
    replied
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ienating-fans/

:wave:

Leave a comment:

• DanEllis
    replied
    Bronco Lover

It's been a while since I've written to all of you and you're still talking about McDaniels and Cutler.

It's time to turn the page and start looking at the future. What's done is done. Why are all of you still talking about Cutler and McDaniels?

I feel the next time I feel the urge to write, I will try not to until August, or until the Broncos play their first exhibition game.

Leave a comment:

• dizzolve
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That is interesting.....McDaniels made a comment after "the trade", in which he stated Bill B. would not trade Cassell to the Broncos because he knows it would "help our team". This sort of implies that McDaniels could have more success with him than the Chiefs could.

It appears there might be a little gamemanship going on between the mentor and the student.
    I totally agree 100%. Not only did he not let JMD get Cassell, but he sent Cassell to JMD's division. Now lets hope JMD knows Cassells biggest weaknesses so he can own him in the years to come.
    Last edited by dizzolve; 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blitzmaster
    replied
    I am always amazed at how people can all look at the same evidence and facts, but draw different conclusions in their reasoning.

For me, I think this was more on Jay Cutler than on McDaniels, and I don't believe for a moment that Josh was a renegade and acted on his own destroying a relationship with Cutler. Why would he? I think part of what made the Denver coaching job attractive and the crown jewel so to speak of the jobs out there at the time, was the offense and Cutler in particular. I really don't believe that Matt Cassel was even a consideration at the time that Bowlen had interviewed McDaniels for the job. I think the relationship went sour when Jeremy Bates was let go after Bowlen had told Jay he would be kept on regardless. No matter what the media told us and what the team admits to, I think that was the beginning of the end right there. Cutler changed his attitude and turned into a petulant child over the matter. The new coach starts to think in terms of how to deal with this, and realizes that right now is the time and opportunity to seize control of the team from a leadership and authority stand point. Get rid of anybody that is not going to be on board with the new system and be a happy camper about it. In the case of Cutler I think he started to think in terms of getting whatever trade value he could before the situation got any uglier, and move on. THAT makes more sense to me than other theories of McDaniels just being over the top with his arrogance and sense of self importance. I think McDaniels was given a job and the task of getting Mr. Bowlen's team back on the map as a winner. Mr. Bowlen felt pretty good about Josh or wouldn't have hired him. I believe in Mr. Bowlen, so therefore I have to believe in McDaniels and think it's probably all going to turn out okay in the end. I may not understand every move made by the team, or even agree with them all for that matter, but that's why I fix cars for a living and don't make the big bucks working as a GM or coach in the NFL. This is all speculation on MY part. I don't know any more than anybody else does around here. Just connecting the dots a little different perhaps in a way that makes the most sense to me.

As regards the draft not being a used totally on the defense, I think McDaniels assessed the situation with the Broncos and realized it was going to be a 2 to 3 year rebuild. And that's what this team is. Being rebuilt. Whether they actually admit we are rebuilding is another thing. But anybody with eyes can see THAT'S what is happening with over half the roster new players. Outside of the offensive line, everything else on the team practically is being overhauled. I think perhaps McDaniels realizing this wasn't going to be a quick patch job to fix the team, took the best players in the draft that could help the team over the long stretch, and will further bolster the team over the next couple of years. IMHO.

Okay whether you agree with anything I have written or not, I have a question for you. How do you think last year's Denver Broncos would do against THIS YEAR'S game schedule? Do you think it would still be an 8-8 season? I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on that.

Leave a comment:

• broncoinseattle
    replied
    Troy Aikman's analysis of the Cutler trade

AP article, NY Post, April 7th, 2009

Troy Aikman says he's still baffled by the falling out between Jay Cutler and new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, a rift that resulted in the young Pro Bowl quarterback being traded to Chicago.

"I just don't get how it got to that point in such a short period of time," the FOX NFL analyst said today. "It seems to me that McDaniels had that in mind before he even got that job. That's what was bizarre to me."

Aikman wonders whether Broncos owner Pat Bowlen would've hired McDaniels had he known the coach wasn't committed to building around Cutler.

"Maybe (Bowlen) did know it, I don't know. But it was pretty obvious, based on the timing, that Josh McDaniels knew that he wasn't real high on Cutler, if he's trying to make a trade for Matt Cassel within his first few weeks on the job," Aikman said. "Could Jay have handled it a little better? Yeah, I think maybe he could have. But I certainly don't begrudge him for being as upset as he was."

Leave a comment:

• psychobear
    replied
    Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
    The "Coaching Tree" arguement is STUPID. Each coach is their own person. What success and challanges other coaches that have ties to NE have had has nothing to do with McDaniels one bit.

Judge the man on his own achievements, not that of others.
    One thing it does show is that his achievments at NE mean exactly nothing. The coaching tree at NE is a list of people that had success there and didn't have success outside of NE. You are right in that he won't necessarily stink it up like the others just because he is from NE. You are wrong to talk about his achievements at NE while at the same time dismissing what other coaches achieved there.

Leave a comment:

• psychobear
    replied
    Originally posted by Gideon333 View Post
    It's possible that Cutler's sudden onset diabetes might have factored into McDaniels' thought process when a trade opportunity presented itself.

No one knows for sure how his diabetes will affect him - short or long term. It certainly would make sense to think twice about putting all your eggs into that basket.

As the HC it makes a lot of sense to consider all your options and weigh out all possible contigencies
    There is risk in that... and the worst case scenario developed from it.

If Orton is really their guy or they wanted him as a backup they probably could have made that trade happen.

Leave a comment:

• Gideon333
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
    Did Cutler trade himself or did the FO trade him? I was under the impression that the FO traded him. Has Anquan Boldin asked for a trade the last 2 years? Has he gotten one? If they REALLY wanted to keep him, they could've. They controlled his rights. Not Cutler. No matter what Cutler did, he still can't force a trade. People want to get traded everyday in the league, why aren't they crucified like Cutler is?

Leave a comment:

• psychobear
    replied
    Originally posted by AC1 View Post
    The Cutler situation wasn't about money, it was about communication. Belichick wouldn't have been bothered about trying to show Cutler who the boss was. Good leaders know how to give respect and command respect at the same time. Belichick wouldn't have gotten along with divas like Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon and Tom Brady if he didn't. He is able to soothe their ego, while commanding respect from them.

Not being able to command a player's respect was one of the biggest concern everyone had when McDaniels was hired. The same concern was expressed about Raheem Morris as well. The latter didn't react to it, but it seems that the former has gone out of his way to show that he is the boss of his team, and validated the concern indirectly.
    I don't know that Belichick soothes players ego's... it's just that he won't go around blatantly disrespecting him which IMO McDaniels did. Someone mentioned what happened with Branch. Well Branch said it was about the money and Belichick didn't think it was fair and sent him out of town. There was already a dispute there. That's different from this senario. Cutler had requested more money but hadn't really been vocal about it nor was he forcing the issue... just made it known that he would like to renegotiate his contract. It wasn't a demand.

McDaniels tried to trade him in a different scenario. That wasn't the real insult though... the real insult came when they met to discuss what had happened.

I don't think that any of the players mentioned above "Lawrence Taylor, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon and Tom Brady" would have been too positive about similar transgressions. Instead, Bill has been a smart businessman with those types of players. He tells them the rules... if there is a violation he discusses it with them... if players start becoming a problem they are traded away before the problem gets out of hand and he does this quietly. McDaniels created the problem, met to discuss it and it went very poorly, and then traded him away in not so quiet fashion.

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Cutler is a "good" QB? Apparently, you know more than Troy Aikman, Ron Jaworski and Phil Simms. These former QB's say Cutler is a franchise QB.
    They've seen 3 years of Cutler and stated he's a franchise QB. "Good" does not equal "franchise". I've seen posts that compare Orton and Peyton Manning, that say Orton will be All-Pro in McD's system. None of the football experts are saying this. It's okay to be a homer but let's not pretend we're experts on NFL quarterbacks.
    To be fair, the thread comparing Orton to Manning was regarding his MANNERISM BEFORE THE SNAP. Not their on field abilities. Manning is the best and no one compares to him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X