No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I will wish the best for Jay as I have thought he was developing into a great QB and will keep an eye on his performance as many of you will. I see a couple of things happening if/when we trade him. If he goes to somewhere like detroit and they turn things around and become a NFC threat and we struggle the everyone will then agree McLovin hosed us. But if Jay struggles and we get deep into the Playoffs or win a SB in the next couple of years then Mclovin becomes a genius and Jay will be the goat. At this point I say just trade jay and lets move on (even tho I disagree with the move) beacuse at this point it's like beating a Dead horse (Bronco) and is getting old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
      If Joe Montana can get traded, so can YOU Culter. Good luck, and goodbye! For all of you that were in Jay's boat.....set sail! The team and game is bigger than Jay, and the only reason he made the Pro Bowl is the fact voting is done before the end of the regular season. Go be a PREMODONNA somewhere else. I want to wins for the Broncos, not tenured whinny players.

#6 = BIG BABY

Good luck Josh McD

GO BRONCOS!:go::salute!:
      You'll be the first person to post the "Why did you get rid of Cutler?" thread next season when some scub is our starting QB when they finish with a 3-13 record.

This team is done. McDoofus is going to drive it into the ground.
      Superbowl 50 Champs!

Comment

• Read the espn story. I dont know how anyone can feel like that. Cutler was straight up lied too. This is going to end badly and worse the Broncos team is really going to suffer for it. I think both sides did a garbage job with this situation but you know McD did start it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoSteelers7 View Post
          I may not be a Broncos fan but I have followed the team because I do like Jay Cutler. I think he's going to be a GREAT quarterback someday and probably win a Super Bowl. I just never thought this whole thing would happen.

EVERYONE is at fault in this whole situation.

McDaniels wanted to trade Cutler. That was his boneheaded decision and it backfired on him. But denying this whole thing is not going to help anyone. I mean, the Broncos were NEVER desperate for a quarterback. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right?

Pat Bowlen needed to step in before everything blew up. HE never did. He should have admitted to Jay they were shopping him and then he should have mended the fences himself because McDaniels and Jay were not going to do it themselves.

Jay should have been the bigger man in this situation. He should have flown to Denver the minute these reports were out there and talked to McDaniels. But I admire him for standing up for himself. And some say he has a brash attitude but I'm tired of all these athletes fitting this certain mold of "perfection." It's all too fake for me. That's why I like Cutler, he never minces his words and tells it like it is.

But now that this has blown up ... I think it's hard to pick up the pieces and return to normalcy in Denver. It's truly a shame because now it makes Jay look bad. But to me, I'll root for him wherever he goes. I really feel bad for this great franchise. I hope things turn out for the better in Denver.
          I'm a huge Bronco fan in Steeler country. Let me ask you GoSteelers7, how would Steeler nation reacted if Tomlin would have tried to trade Ben away before he even coached his first game? Probably not to well....
          Superbowl 50 Champs!

Comment

• Originally posted by mtn_horn View Post
            Old school players don't whine to the media.
            Old school players don't threaten in the media, "there will be trouble (with the team) if I'm traded"
            Old school players show up for meetings and practice - voluntary or not

Cutler is acting like a prima donna.

Could the Broncos have handled the media better? Maybe. I appreciate them NOT running to the media - but many fans here think that's exactly what they should do.

Broncos have said they won't be trading Cutler for a draft pick, so now what? If they bench Cutler he has much less value in any trade, if he plays, he'll need to play well if he wants out...otherwise, he's on the bench for the remainder of his contract (I think 2 years) and when FA rolls around, he won't be worth as much.

So I think he plays. He'd better play well or he's going to get another shot of what some folks think is "old school" but isn't: boos in his home stadium. Lots of 'em, unfortunately.
            He needs to go. He can't be here. It's a destructive relationship. He should be somewhere he is wanted and treated with a certain amount of respect that EVERYONE is deserving of, including Mike Leach!

When I say, old school, I mean loyal to his team and the organization. We have so many players looking for the big money contract... by the way, all bred by this cut throat approach to building a team. Jay has busted his butt for the past 3 years for this team. Yet, so many support the decision of a HC who has proven NOTHING! He is a loyal guy. He stayed and worked his butt off a Vandy... for what? A losing record? His values are old school but is the most inarticulate person I've ever seen. His comments are often misconstrued.

Granted, sometimes his comments are immature and tactless, but what did he say that wasn't honest? Nothing. McD touted the importance of the relationship will be between him & Jay, then tried to trade him, cut him off when he tried to inquire about it, then lied about it only to admit it 2 weeks later. How is that not trouble for this team? This issue is so polarizing to the fanbase. What do you think it did to the locker room?

Coach McD is inept and doesn't deserve our blind loyalty and support because he sure hasn't done anything to have earned it.

Jay earned it the past few years and gets treated like a doormat.

Comment

• What the hell is a "PREMODONNA?"
              IT'S OK - The F just means Freakin' !!

Comment

• This is a pretty easy answer...

* I've been a Broncos fan since Jay was about 7 years old.
                * I'm a fan of the team, not 1 player
                IT'S OK - The F just means Freakin' !!

Comment

• Originally posted by mtn_horn View Post
                  Old school players don't whine to the media.
                  Old school players don't threaten in the media, "there will be trouble (with the team) if I'm traded"
                  Old school players show up for meetings and practice - voluntary or not

So I think he plays. He'd better play well or he's going to get another shot of what some folks think is "old school" but isn't: boos in his home stadium. Lots of 'em, unfortunately.
                  1. Elway did all of thisngs you say old school players dont do. And thank God he did it!

2. There will be plenty of boos next year. But they wont be for Jay because he wont even be here. McDaniiels better get used to booing.
                  sigpic

Comment

• If Jay goes to Detroit, I think they are in the running for the NFC north this year.

Comment

• Cutler says he can't trust McDaniels
                      By Chris Mortensen

Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said Sunday night that he will not report to the team's first meeting on Monday and has formally asked to be traded. He confirmed that a Saturday meeting with first-year coach Josh McDaniels ended badly from his perspective while McDaniels offered another viewpoint on Sunday night.

"I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.

[+] EnlargeMatthew Emmons/US Presswire
                      Jay Cutler said while new Denver coach Josh McDaniels hasn't been critical of him, Cutler can no longer trust McDaniels.
                      "At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened [Saturday] was the last thing I expected. If I didn't think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver. It was painfully obvious to me and Bus [Cook, his agent] it's not something they want to fix."

Consequently, Cutler instructed Cook, who also attended the meeting, to formally request a trade. The quarterback said he left town late Sunday and would skip McDaniels' first team meeting on Monday as they begin their offseason program.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen told the Denver Post on Sunday that he was disappointed with how Cutler has handled the situation. In a telephone interview with ESPN, McDaniels was reluctantly expansive on the story.

"I really have wanted to avoid a he-said, she-said thing but it's only fair for us to present the Bronco side of the story rather than let things get taken out of context," McDaniels said. "There's been a pattern here for the past two weeks the way things [have been represented] in our communications. I don't think anythng that happened [Saturday] was out of the ordinary. At the end of the meeting, Jay said he had thought about things quite a bit and requested a few more hours to mull things over. He said he wanted to talk to Bus on how to proceed. He was gonna call me on my cell phone and that never happened. Instead, Bus called [GM] Brian [Xanders].

"Again, I think that's been a pattern. I couldn't get [Cutler] to talk to me for two weeks or to talk to Mr. Bowlen. Then when he came here this weekend, we couldn't get a one-on-one meeting, just me and him alone. He wanted Bus in there, so I had Brian sit in, too. And it was the four of us. There wasn't any yelling, none of that. I can't believe we get to a totally different [interpretation].

NFL.com Video

Highlights of some of Jay Cutler's best moments in 2008.

"It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that has cropped up, a potential distraction and we've done our best to limit that. The main message I want to get out is that we're excited to start our offseason program [Monday]. It's an exciting time for us."

Cutler won't be present at the team meeting.

"I certainly went back there, expecting I'd be there [Monday] but not now," Cutler said. "It's not mandatory. I'll attend every mandatory mini-camp and training camp but that's it. Really, it's best for me to move on. As coach said, he needs every eye in the meeting room to be on him and not me."

As McDaniels pointed out, Cutler had a completely different expectation when he left their private meeting on Saturday.

Cutler said: "You know, even after the meeting, I hung around town, kind of expecting him to call me and say, 'Hey, let's just me and you get away and have lunch or a cup of coffee' and mend things, but that didn't happen. So, I get it, really, it's a business. I'm disappointed beause I love being a Bronco but I think it's run its course."

Cutler denied recent reports that he had asked to be traded when the Broncos fired offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
                      "Yes, I was upset when they let Jeremy go because Mr. Bowlen had assured me when Mike [Shanahan] was fired that the offense wouldn't change because it was the second-ranked offense in football," Cutler said. "But I didn't push for a trade then."

McDaniels and Cutler agreed on at least one element of the controversy, knocking down a Sunday report on NFL Network that the coach had criticized the quarterback's play in 2008.

"That just isn't true," McDaniels said. "Not a word has been said about that."

Cutler added: "Josh has never said anything negative to me about my play or anything else, for that matter."

McDaniels admitted that the team got involved in trade discussions for Cassel, who instead was dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs. However, he said any perception Cutler felt that the team could still trade him was misleading.

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve. I think most people [in the NFL] feel the same way. You make smart, educated decisions that are best for your football team."

Cutler feels like McDaniels lost his credibility with him when he initially denied to the quarterback that the Broncos tried to acquire Cassel only to admit it later.

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me. But trust now? How can I trust him now?"

He also explained that his house being put up for sale was "nothing more than a coincidence."

"I had already shown my house privately to some interested buyers a couple of months ago," Cutler said. "I've really been looking to buy 40 to 70 acres of land there."

As for ignoring phone calls from McDaniels and Bowlen, Cutler said: "Josh and I have exchanged text messages. We had a conference call. And if Pat wanted to speak to me, why didn't he come to the meeting on Saturday?"

Cook said that as an agent he was "totally in shock" that it has gotten so ugly.

"I would have bet my house going into Saturday's meeting that everyone would be shaking hands and smiling," Cook said. "I thought it was going to get worked out. But it was very clear to me that Jay Cutler is not their choice to be quarterback of that team."

Yet Cook admitted that when he called Xanders to request a trade on Saturday night, the team's general manager said it wasn't going to happen and that "Jay should show up Monday."

That wasn't going to happen, either.

Normally I would sulk around the house all day wondering who the hell will lead our team this year...... Welp! what is one thing wrong with all of this?

By Chris Mortensen
                      We shouldnt worry too much... Mortensen will write anything to get his story

Comment

• Bye Bye 20 year fan here. I started supporting the Broncos and fell in love with a team that always seam to have it together and profesional. I hate you Mc D for this crap. If you think this is the type of behavior that will turn us into NE and we will respect you your stupid. Thanks for screwing up 2 weeks of my life and football may never be the same for me. I hope he goes to Lions. I will buy a blue Lions # 6 jersey and wear it proud. CYA

Comment

• I was a Bronco fan even before Jay was out of elementary school... I will be a bronco fan even after he retires
                          sigpicI am from BRONCOLOMBIA

Comment

• Will be a Denver Broncos fan until the day I die... No player is above the "I" in team and yes that includes Cutler I wish him best of luck He def should acted more his age o well... Here to losing season this year :brick:

I hope I am proved wrong... :salute!:
                            sigpic

Comment

• haha, I am with you.

Originally posted by MileHighPimp303 View Post
                              Don't let the door hit you in the vag-ina on the way out.
                              Jay, grow up. It is so sad that we have a guy like Jay acting like this. People are losing their homes, their jobs, and yet a 25 year old asshat is complaining because he can't see eye to eye with somebody.... IT'S A DAMN GAME you ****** bag.

Comment

• If the recent article from Mort has any validity, then it seems that it may be unrepairable. Who knows. At this point I'm just hoping I wake up and it was all a dream and Mike is still HC and he did indeed fire Bob Slowik.
                                Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X