No announcement yet.

McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we traded Cutler. I'd want to go to a game just to chant with the other fans. There's words about McD, that I want to say, but wont. But it does piss me off.

It just floors me. Cutler says he wants to play here, With Cutler you know he means what he says. So when he says he loves Denver and the players he plays with, You don't even need to wonder if he means it.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel View Post
      I don't know that Jay IS still on the trading block. I doubt Mdaniels is insane enough to just want to get rid of Jay at all costs. He just wanted Cassel plus maybe some players or extra draft picks, not just any other QB in the NFL. He feels comfortable with Cassel knowing his system.

For example, you might justify a trade if the Bucs had offered a 1st round pick to the Patriots, PLUS a second round pick to Denver and Denver gets Matt Cassel, plus a 2nd rounder. I still wouldn't like it and would attack McDaniels for doing something like that, but he's trying to rebuild the team and could attempt to justify it.

But, since it was just going to be Cassel to Denver for Cuter to Tampa they vetoed the trade.

But, this just shows the total inexperience and foolishness of Xanders / McDaniels. You can't treat your franchise QB just like he's a reserve LB or something!

The success and failure of coaches in the NFL depends largely on having the right QB. If McDaniels was going to trade him he'd BETTER damn well make absolutely sure:

1. That the trade goes through so the whole thing doesn't blow up in his face the way it just did.

2. That you get really great value so nobody can say you got screwed.

3. That you succeed. Because your ass is totally and immediately on the line with this trade. If the offense struggles, it's "why did we trade Jay? FIRE Mac!" Endless fans screaming right in his face as he walks off the field.

That kind of thing gets very ugly very quickly. McDaniels is used to winning in New England where everybody loves Belichek and nobody is in your face. He has NO IDEA the kind of media pressure, fan pressure and peer pressure on Pat Bowlen from doing something like this and having it even APPEAR to not work out. In the short-run.

Denver is a one-horse town and that horse is Bronco orange! There's NOTHING else. Not like Bean Town where there's the Bruins, the Celtics winning the NBA championship, and the Red Socks in the playoffs every year. Here there's the Broncos and that's it. The Avs, Rockies and Nuggets are a distant third.

We take football seriously here and there's NO slack for losers. McDaniels had a hard act to follow and by his screw up he's just made life much harder on himself.

If he pulled that trade off it would have been exponentially worse for him. The defense despite all the changes isn't going to suddenly become the Pittsburgh Steelers. The schedule is still totally brutal. The team is going to struggle to win games, whether it's Cassel or Cutler.

With Cassel, there would be NO honeymoon. He'd have to come right out and win instantly to justify the trade and of course that's just totally unlikely.
      Well.> I don't honestly think that Jay is on the tradeblock anymore. But I can understand why jay would feel that way. he feels that the coaches and FO have completely lied to him, and are moving to trade him away behind his back. Why wouldn't he feel as though he's on the block? I don't think anything McDaniels has said today is truthful.

Seems that is something McDaniels learned from BB in NE..... lying badly.

I can't believe that there ever was consideration of trading away a stud QB like Cutler for another Scott Mitchell in Cassel. I know coaches want to bring in their own guys, but this is just pathetic. This completely.. and I mean COMPLETELY... undermines My confidence I had given to McDaniels.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaHammer View Post
        I agree with the analysis. I can't for the life of me believe that McDaniels ever thought, even for a second, that Cassell is a better QB than Cutler, but prehaps he felt that he could not achieve his goals with Cutler at QB and saw an opportunity to get an average QB that knows his system and get better positioned in the draft. I see this turning out one of 2 ways, either Cutler puts this aside and earns McDaniels respect through his play, proving he is the guy. Or he ends up going elsewhere next offseason. I just don't see them trading him this offseason, but who knows, if they can put this behind them before draft day, he might be gone.
        I don't think the Broncos CAN trade Cutler now. See, it was barely possible if they got Matt Cassel PLUS a draft pick. Now, who's going to be the QB?

Cassel knew the system and McDaniels obviously wanted just him. Well, now Matt Cassel is gone to the Chiefs, so that's done. The whole thing is over. It just leaves a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Cutler didn't say it but you know he's thinking that he's not going to be in Denver for his career. But, in truth, he has 3 years left on his contract and he might well outlast McDaniels if Josh doesn't start learning fast.

It's no accident that the top 10 teams are all looking for QBs. Without Cutler the Broncos last year would have looked just like the Chiefs, Lions and Bucs. And they'd be looking for a franchise QB with their top 10 draft pick after a 5-11 season or 4-12 or something.

And they'd be wondering if Stafford or Sanchez can really be the guy or if they will even be in a position to draft him.

You'll notice that the three worst defenses in the NFL were the Rams, the Broncos and the Lions. And all three of them fired their head coaches. It wasn't Jay Cutler or the offenses' fault that the team lost 8 games. With that defense they were amazingly lucky to make a run at all!

What should Jay have done? Put up 53 points on the Chargers in the final game because the defense gave up 52?
        Last edited by Cugel; 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
          Dude, you need to take a week off of the board. Then delete your account.
          Can't handle the truth man?
          Sorry, but can't do that man. I'm trying to catch up to you in posts :thumb:
          sigpic
          I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• I really don't think that McDaniels decided to go out and find a new QB. But who knows... I just find that hard to believe. I picture that Belicheck was talking to other teams and mentioned that maybe McDaniels would like to get Cassell and to work out a 3way. And then they called Josh. But who knows.

I just hope that it all goes away. This forum was nuts today. It was worse then after we lose.

Comment

• Hopefully nothing comes of it and it becomes a funny story next January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                Well.> I don't honestly think that Jay is on the tradeblock anymore. But I can understand why jay would feel that way. he feels that the coaches and FO have completely lied to him, and are moving to trade him away behind his back. Why wouldn't he feel as though he's on the block? I don't think anything McDaniels has said today is truthful.

Seems that is something McDaniels learned from BB in NE..... lying badly.

I can't believe that there ever was consideration of trading away a stud QB like Cutler for another Scott Mitchell in Cassel. I know coaches want to bring in their own guys, but this is just pathetic. This completely.. and I mean COMPLETELY... undermines My confidence I had given to McDaniels.
                To think about our starting QB suiting up for a game, and it not being Cutler because he was traded. Man that pisses me off.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
                  I really don't think that McDaniels decided to go out and find a new QB. But who knows... I just find that hard to believe. I picture that Belicheck was talking to other teams and mentioned that maybe McDaniels would like to get Cassell and to work out a 3way. And then they called Josh. But who knows.

I just hope that it all goes away. This forum was nuts today. It was worse then after we lose.
                  You know.. but think about it. The story always sounded fishy..... but when you try to think, how many times have you heard a franchise, not to mention TWO separate franchises, contact a team and just randomly ask if they would be willing to trade their franchise QB?? You mean to say that both Tampa AND the Lions just happen to have called out of nowhere? Belicheck wouldn't have led them to Denver unless McDaniels had already made it clear he was interested in Cassel.

No. This just doesn't happen.

Comment

• I dunno after reading the whole of what was said (instead of just what the news decided to post) I do feel slightly different about the whole situation and when reading it in it's entirety it does have a much different tone than what the few snippets that were put in the original article had.

it's posted on cugles thread but here

Lombardi: Jay. All kinds of rumors. Earlier today a trade to Tampa, that apparently fell through, now we're hearing Detroit. Tell me your reaction.

Cutler: Um, I'm shocked. I'm a little disappointed obviously. I loved Denver, the city and the fans, the guys we had offensively. So, when I woke up this morning that wasn't exactly the phone calls I was expecting to hear.

L: So now when you hear these rumors and it sounds like maybe Tampa instigated or made a call to the Broncos to say they might be interested in you and now we hear Detroit calling. So do you think in your view are the Broncos shopping you or are other teams saying "hey, we'd love to get Jay Cutler?"

C: Seriously, there are two different takes on this obviously. Obviously the Broncos are going to say that other teams were calling inquiring about me but we've talked about this, you don't hear other teams talking about shopping Eli or Phillip Rivers or Peyton, or any of those guys so obviously they dangled the lines to somebody to let them know obviously that, you know, I was available if the right opportunity came along. That's my feel of the situation.

And, you know I think they're going to cover their tracks and say anything that they want to say at this point and say that I won't be traded and this and that. But, the point is they tried to make a trade for me last night and it didn't go through and now we're back at square one.

L: Jay, why would the Broncos try and trade a third year guy who most people in the NFL think has all the potential in the world?

J: Yeah. I don't know. I think you get comfortable with somebody and I think Cassel is one of those guys who knew the system and they thought they had an opportunity there and you know it didn't work out.

So we're all going to be professional about the situation and we're all going to go back to work. I've still gotta make it happen and I love the guys I play with offensively and hopefully we can still make it work.

L: Well, that's the thing. Can you come back and play? Can you come back and play for coach McDaniels? Will that be a comfortable situation or will that be something that you have to work out? Do you guys need to sit down and discuss this?

C: I don't think there's anything to discuss at this point. Everyone knows what happened. At least everyone important and involved knows what happened. I'm sure we're going to hear a lot of different stories throughout about this, but at this point everyone knows what happened and we're going to have to deal with it. And I think my teammates offensively know what happened.

And we're going to move on and try and learn this new offense and try and get to the Super-bowl and get to the playoffs.

L: Jay do you expect this year that you'll be playing for the Denver Broncos?

J: Hope so. I would love to. It's been my home. I've been dedicated myself to. And like I said the teammates are great, I love playing with the guys we've got we'll see what happens.
                    I dunno maybe I jumped the gun (long day of work this whole story was not the news I wanted to come home to after busting my butt off all day) I still think cutler needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes but in light of reading THE WHOLE of what was said instead of bits and pieces I think I was too harsh and need to cut some slack (especially now that I've had some time to calm down a little and think more rationally.)

Hopefully now that cassel is off the market this whole thing will die off and we can just move on with the rest of preseason and get it out of the way.

I just really hope the front office realizes that if they did in fact kick cutler to the curb it would alienate a lot of fans and would not be the best possible move for the organization. I know there are a lot of people that don't like or trust cutler and would love nothing more to see him go but he is our best chance of seeing another superbowl and maybe this will be the shot in the arm he needs to just prove all the nay sayers (his coach possibly included) that they were wrong and he is worth keeping.
                    sigpic

Comment

• feb, 27th 2009

mr Bowlen

it has come to the attention of denver broncos most loyal fans that some asswadd tried to trade our franchise qb , a qb who threw for 4000+ yards and a trip to the probowl....for a high school qb that had one(1) decent season in the nfl. let me remind you, cutler is a first round selection with all the potential in the world, and because cassel came in with no expectations after the loss of brady and did ok we are suppose to beleive cassel and a 2nd round pick is a good trade? i have one question for you...are your a friggen idiot???

signed
                      arapaho
                      sigpic
                      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• I'm ****in pissed as hell at him. You heartless clowns can be happy with him all you want.

Comment

• Hey guys, good to be back after what I think was a........3 year lay off? Anyways, this is exactly the kind of transcript i have been waiting to read. Jay has had his moments, but I think that his maturity is what is going to resolve this situation in the end. It already appears that he is ready to try and talk things over, so now I think the ball is undoubtedly in McDaniel's court. The coach needs to come out and say what happened, and let us and Cutler know where his standings lie. My take on what has transpired is simply this: A young coach made some brilliant moves on the first few days of FA, and got a little too excited and tried to make something happen that he shouldn't have. I don't believe that he initiated trade talks, but I think his emotions might have gotten him to listen to a trade that he should have said no to. We have to remember that he was brought here to rebuild this team, and that he may have been trying to give us more of a makeover than we really needed. I think what has transpired is actually a beneficial lesson for both parties. Jay gets another lesson in Public Relations, and McDaniels now knows exactly where the line is as far as cleaning house goes. Based on what Coach and Xanders have done with Free Agency, I think that this is a forgiveable, while still costly, mistake.
                          Any coach who listens to fans is going to be sitting with them pretty soon. - Bobby Bowden

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                            I don't agree with that even slightly...we've had a great FA period I think we've picked up players that fill needs and will help us focus in the draft more on the pressing needs like LB DT CB and S we addressed those a little by grabbing some veterans but I think guys like dawkins were mainly brought in to mentor the youth preparing them for starting in a year or two the only signing I have a question mark about is the long snapper but he came really cheap so who cares...

People on these boards have been up in arms about us getting jj arrington and I think it's great Mark my words he'll be very productive in a ZBS and will be utilized as an extra receiver for quick screens and such, much like how kevin faulk was utilized in NE.

You can say it was a waste but as I posted in another post earlier today who would you have had us pick up? There wasn't anyone worth while that would be worth the amount we'd have to pay them, better to get some vets to mentor youth and draft some rookies cheap instead of paying millions for someone that might just take the paycheck and be a bum (see boss bailey, dewayne robertson and many other players we've picked up through FA in the past)

FA is a joke and normally a failure, you build a successful team by drafting them not by paying several million dollars to many.
                            I have no idea what you're talking about, all I know is that I went into this free agency period with the intent to judge this by how many legitimate starters they bring in on defense, which is what this team needs most.

You talk about Arrington and Dawkins, I won't disagree with that, but as for the rest, they have nothing but other teams backups and Over-the-Hill-Never-Was players (like Andra Davis).......those simply are not "Legitimate Starters", and no amount of wishing and denial will change that.

I have zero confidence that this group of Village Idiots have the ability to build through the draft either.

Btw, that long-snapper that "came really cheap" is now the second highest paid LS in the league, apparently a LS is more important to Doogie than a QB like Jay Cutler.......Circling the drain.......
                            Last edited by stnzed; 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• The thing that I dont get, and maybe it's because I'm biased, but why Matt Cassel?

Did McDaniels or Xanders actually think Cassel is better than Cutler?.....Really?

It just doesnt make sense.....It's like when the Broncos drafted Tommy Maddox in the 1st round when they had John Elway. Different circumstances but similar in ways.

Unless they were banking on getting the 1st overall pick from the Lions in exchange for Cutler.....which would be stupid in its own right, but they are the Lions. Why even give teams the notion that Cutler was available?

Did they not think about the public backlash this would and has created? You dont come to a team and dismantle the only thing that they had going for them because youre more 'familiar' with your former player, who clearly isnt a better talent.

It's unbelievable, to think even for a second, that all this is actually happening......I'm still not sure if it's all true.

But if it is......that's a shame. I wont ever be a McDaniels supporter if this is true.
                              Last edited by Chidoze; 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Yes this sucks I know

First and foremost, I love Jay Cutler and wish this never happened. McDaniels should have learned from Belicheck that these discussions cannot and should not have leaked out.

Now, every post has been "this better not happen", "McD is a moron", etc. I get that, I agree with that, but let's say the Lions called and said, "We're prepared to make a Herschel Walker deal for Cutler, would you be willing to listen?" I would think if the Lions would trade their 2 1st round pick this year (#1 and #20) plus next year's 1st rounder, wouldn't you have to go for it?

If something like this were to happen, that #1 pick would not be used on Stafford. It would be used on Aaron Curry or traded down to the 4th spot and go for Raji or Orapko. We would still have the #12 and #20 pick and even if the Lions get Cutler, they will still finish in the bottom 10 and we'll have another top 10 pick next year. I'm not saying the Lions would do that, but if they were desperate for a franchise QB, maybe that's why the Broncos are still "discussing".

I think McDaniels feels his system can make an avg QB good and a good QB great. Since Cutler has to learn the system from scratch, the possibility of accumulating high draft picks and signing a QB like Kurt Warner to run the team for the next two years, then drafting a QB next year might be the quickest way to get this team back in the Superbowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X