McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilfer Disses Cutler

"I believe Jay Cutler is one of the top 12 quarterbacks in the NFL, but I would not put him in the top eight. He has a lot more to prove."

Dilfer's concern — and one area he doesn't give Cutler an edge over Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson — is managing key downs.

"What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff," Dilfer said. "It's the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations.

"I think that Sage, Tarvaris and Jay Cutler are all in the same boat in that sense. None have proven they can do it a high level consistently."

(DENVER POST STORY)

Again, sorry if this was posted already. I didn't see anything... BUT, who is this tool? Of all the things to pick on.... on Cutler... he goes here?

Please, Cutler complete almost 50% of third down conversions. 3rd in football... the $-down. He's had his fair share of comeback wins as well.... Sure, he makes mistakes... but, Cool Hand Cutler is the money-down QB.

Let's review Sage & Tavaris and see what they did on 3rd down.

Comment

• Dilfer's been pretty fair on all his assesments, and is pretty fair to Cutler. Just because he makes this statement now doesn't mean he will one week into the NFL this coming season.

I've really come to like Dilfer's point of view.

Comment

• :cutler:

Cutler 2008:
        » He was No. 3 in the NFL in 3rd down efficiency. NFL avg teams converted 39.5 percent of its third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent.
        »Threw for more yards than Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger.
        » He had eight games of 300-plus passing yards (five of those at 350 or more), connecting for 15 TD's
        » 4th quarter of games Cutler completed 100 of 167 passes for 1,212 yards and 11 TD's with just four int's

Comment

• Dilfer has a good opinion. But come on, Tavaris and Rosenfels? Cutler is better than that. This is one of the few times I disagree with Trent.
          sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

• Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
            The "laughing stock" is a carry over from last year.

We were the laughing stock when we were a "shoe in for the playoffs"after week 14, to suffering 2 Shanahanesk blowouts and a miserable loss at home to lousy Buffalo and completing the worst NFL regular season collapse ever.

I hate where the organization is at, but I'm not concerned where it's going. It can't be any worse then the soft teams Shanahan was fielding over the course of the last 10 years.
            Good point. Very hard to outdo the collapse at the end of last year. Seems like they are trying though.

Comment

• I agree with his assessment on managing key downs consistantly..

But I find it hard to believe that he's not in the top 8? At least top 10. Sometimes on third and short Cutler would bomb it deep into double coverage, instead of taking the easy 1st down..

Although if he thinks that Sage and Tavaris are anywhere near Cutlers league than yes that is kind of a diss (especially Jackson). I HATE THE VIKINGSSSS

Comment

• Originally posted by sntnl View Post
                Were not the bloody laughing stock and if you think that your pretty dumb... Lions 0-16 with the first pick in a draft with no legitimate QB and Fairders with the Kiffen v. Davis going to the judge so let the slinging begin.

Something that should have had more said about it is the the Titans ability to not resign there franchise(by play, not tag) player should have been a far larger issue. Hyansworth was to the Titans defense as Cutler is to the Broncos offense and he just flat out rejected the offer to stay at HIS team.
                I think you might be in denial. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. When our alum (SUPER BOWL WINNERS) goes on air to blast the management for the team that took them there and gave them a comfortable living, it's bad. Nobody likes to lose. 0-16 is bad. All eyes should have been on their off season. Losers can turn into winners but it still would have been about football.

We are just a joke.

Comment

• This coming from a guy who was an awful QB.....
                  sigpic

Comment

• Cutlers arrogance is a problem on and off the field, both of which are now very apparent.
                    Official 2009 Adopt-A-Bronco:Moreno, Knowshon

Comment

• Shannon Sharpe Weighs in on Jay Cutler Situation

Sharpe weighs in on sports radio:

Shannon Sharpe Weighs In On The Jay Cutler Saga
                      March 18, 2009 – 8:53 am by Bunk

Well, the Josh McDaniels era in Denver sure hasn’t gotten off to a great start. If the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator was hoping to make the Broncos denizens forget about the storied and lengthy career of predecessor Mike Shanahan, it probably was going to take even greater play from QB Jay Cutler, who definitely showed flashes of greatness in 2008. But McDaniels ruffled feathers and alienated Cutler early and often upon arriving in Denver. You usually hear coaches, particularly young ones like McDaniels, say what’s necessary to not lose the respect of key members of a football team early on in their tenures. Not McDaniels. The result has been a testy Jay Cutler, and rightfully so to a certain extent.

Could Cutler really be on his way out of Denver before the first day of spring this off-season? It’s looking more and more possible every day, with Cutler’s home even being listed for sale as of late last week. To get the scoop on what’s going down, let’s check in with former Broncos TE legend Shannon Sharpe on KKFN in Denver. And if you’re a bit tired of the plain-Jane answers given by so many college basketball coaches and NFL folks this time of year, don’t worry - it’s Shannon Sharpe!

Sharpe begins by explaining that he thinks coach McDaniels is making a huge mistake in wanting to get rid of Cutler, one of the few lone bright spots for the up and down Broncos last year:

“The more that I sit down and think about it - you had the second worse defense in the National Football League. You couldn’t turn the ball over; you couldn’t pressure the quarterback. And the new guy [McDaniels] comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is his Pro Bowl QB? I don’t want to trade for a Julius Peppers. I don’t want a Ray Lewis or a Bart Scott; I don’t want a defensive lineman. I want to trade my QB! That’s the problem.”

On the double standard in the NFL for players and front offices when it comes to making ‘business decision’:

“And why is it that when an organization wants to trade a player, it’s business; but when a player wants to request a trade, he’s being disgruntled, he’s a malcontent? See you can’t have it both ways.”

Does he think Cutler and the Broncos will work out there differences?

“If I’m Jay Cutler now, I think he has to leave.”

On how he dealt with a somewhat similar issue when he was with Denver earlier in his career:

“When Mike [Shanahan] tried to trade me in ‘95, after the ‘95 season. And when I called the organization they said it wasn’t true. And my agent and I found out later that it was true. I never trusted Mike again until I got back the second time around.”

Check out the site too so you can hear even more from Sharpe!

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/200...y-cutler-saga/
                      Last edited by IHSD; 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
                        This coming from a guy who was an awful QB.....
                        He knows more than you do.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Can You Imagine Draft Day.....

I think we will settle into a bit of a calm with the Jay situation, unless there is another outbreak or Jay doesn't report to mandatory camp or a trade is consumated. But if nothing has changed going into the Draft, we will all need some tranquilizers to manage the tension on that fine Saturday. Can you imagine the agony of sitting there......by the way, I'll be expecting a Broncos Pacers Club meeting prior to the draft, because this may not be an event for the weak.....sitting could be too difficult.

Here's a glimpse of what it may be like......

The Draft teams will be setting the stage about Detroit and its first pick, but while doing that, they will also be reminding folks that Jay Cutler may be the major development of day one. And we will be watching Adam Schefter closely for signals and likelihoods and the dreaded "A deal has been cut between The Broncos and _________". Scary stuff.

And no matter what Adam tells us, from that point the blood pressure will rise, as the show gets closer to the arrival of the Commish, to initiate the draft. And as Detroit goes on the clock, we hold our breaths. And if they do not trade with us, we have to sweat it out as each of the following teams enters the fray. And if the Commish starts any sentence with "We have a trade" or words of that affect, our guts will wrench like the feeling one gets when they pigged out before bedtime to awake to a mid night crisis.

This will go on for a while, until we get by each of the potential suitors, if we really think we know who they all are. Maybe they all want Jay!!!!!!!

And if we get through the draft with Jay still "in the house", we rest, at least for the next little while.

I don't know about you, but I don't want this to come down to Draft Day. And if so, inspite of what I have tried to describe, I'm sure Adam will break the news first. And if I had my choice, this thing will end up with Jay, some orange and some blue......

:cutler:

Comment

• Pretty much everything I've been saying, from the double standard where for front offices it's "just business" but if the player asks for a trade, they are disgruntled, to the fact that it was incredible stupid for McDaniels to try and trade away one of the few things this team really had going for it in an incredibly talented QB with tons of potential.

I was shocked to read that he didn't trust Mike until he came back to Denver from Baltimore, I never even suspected it. I guess if Cutler has done anything at all wrong, it's that maybe he's been too honest, but I'd rather a guy be too honest then deceitful.
                            Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by I Hate SD Alot View Post
                              ***Pwned***
                              Official 2009 Adopt-A-Bronco:Moreno, Knowshon

Comment

• Originally posted by I Hate SD Alot View Post
                                wow that comment was a winner.......

no class......
                                sigpic

Comment