McD / Cutler mess (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    Cutler has had nothing but a negative(losing) mentality sing he started high school.
    Um. You know he won the Indiana state championship his senior year?

You're also saying that going 4-12 this season "would be a stepping stone to something long-lasting". Okay...what? Chris Simms is not a man we want to build around. Neither is Lamont Jordan. Defensively, we have acquired a safety who might last three more years.

I don't know what McDaniels means to do during the Draft. But if he is planning on re-building the Broncos that way, we're most likely looking at at least two years of losing. I don't know about you, but unless Tim Tebow becoming a Bronco is somehow thrown into that mix, I am not interested. And since whatever draft picks McDaniels will likely trade Cutler for will only be good during next month's draft, with its weak QB class, well...

Under Shanahan, we were a step away from becoming a playoff team. He would have addressed the defense this offseason. Cutler is not gone yet, but it appears McDaniels doesn't mean to keep him. A tear-down of that magnitude isn't/wasn't necessary. Starting from scratch is something an expansion team does.
    sigpic

TZ

Comment

• Maybe we can hope for some of the same.

Mike tried to trade Shannon in 95, lied about it and they went on to win two super bowls!
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Tampa Bay would have sent their first to New England for Cassell.

Tampa then would have sent Cassell to Denver along with a 3rd for Cutler.

If Raheem Morris, the new TB coach was willing to go with that it shows that he values Cutler more than Cassell because in that scenario, he could keep either.

Oh wait, TB has a real GM....never mind.

Comment

• McDummy is a moron.

Read the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            Dilfer's been pretty fair on all his assesments, and is pretty fair to Cutler. Just because he makes this statement now doesn't mean he will one week into the NFL this coming season.

I've really come to like Dilfer's point of view.
            Fair? Dilfer says, ""It's the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations."

Huh? Look, I'm not questioning his opinion, or saying he's wrong. BUT, one thing you cannot complain about with Jay Cutler is THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY. Simple as that.

"He was No. 3 in the NFL in third-down efficiency, the "money" down. The average NFL team converted 39.5 percent of its third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

So... what is a critical down? A 3rd down is one. SO, if you're third in the NFL here... Aren't you above average managing a critical down.

You want to pike fun of his red zone efficiency... That would be fair. It would even be fair to cite his 2-minute skills... but.... you could argue the fact.

When it comes to the 4th quarter:

"Only Jacksonville's David Garrard threw more passes in the fourth quarter of games than Cutler, who completed 100 of 167 passes for 1,212 yards and 11 touchdowns with just four interceptions."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Still... you can even argue this fact.

BUT... on thing you have no right to call out... Cutler on 3rd down. I mean, if he's average... what about all the other NFL Qbs?

I don't mind Dilfer either... He just comes across as uneducated here. Simple to check facts man. I loath talking heads who cannot do one iota of research... That statement, minus the 3rd down bt... would be fair. Since he incuded that... the whole statement is BS.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
              wow that comment was a winner.......

no class......
              I'm just saying man, who are you to criticize him? He's giving his opinion and so do you on these boards. Some analysts and even coaches and general managers had little to no experience. But they were good in evaluating talent and such.
              sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoRy View Post
                the biggest mistake in all of this goes back one year. Instead of taking the time to find a quality DC and then finding a proven talent evaluator for defense Shanny just brought Dewayne Robertson, Boss Bailey ( nice try), McCree and Manual and thought the defense would be good enough. Blah, what a travesty.

I was tiring of Shanny but im willing to bet these boards would be piping with optimism for the 2009 season. Now we are left to wonder what will become of our beloved broncos?

I have nowhere else to go. The Broncos have and always will be one and only NFL team. Laughing stock or not.

And seemingly all of the Denver Broncos recent troubles revolves around egos.
                Shanny's ego was to big. There was no way someone else was going to make player decisions which was clearly needed for defensive evaluations.

Now, McD's is a little man wielding a big stick and trying to act tough. No way would a rookie coach admit a mistake, make atonement, and hopefully move on. Again, EGO.

Move the egos aside. Its time for the Broncos to start winning titles again.
                This is a great post, I would take it back a little further to 2005(since it doesn't matter anyway) Say keep Plummer, Keep Coyer, fire Shanny and go with a new coach ??? and some more toys for Plummer to play with.

The egos are really ruining the game, this from a guy who's been watching football longer than alot of you have been breathing. Maybe the media just gives us more of what we may not need to know? Too much information isn't always the best thing. The article on foxsports on the Buss Cook involvement sheds alot of light on this situation.
                [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  Maybe we can hope for some of the same.

Mike tried to trade Shannon in 95, lied about it and they went on to win two super bowls!
                  Yes but that was after Sharpe came back! I do not see us getting lucky enough to get Cutler back, hAHAHA
                  Cutler 2008:
                  » He was No. 3 in the NFL in 3rd down efficiency. NFL avg teams converted 39.5 percent of its third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent.
                  »Threw for more yards than Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger.
                  » He had eight games of 300-plus passing yards (five of those at 350 or more), connecting for 15 TD's
                  » 4th quarter of games Cutler completed 100 of 167 passes for 1,212 yards and 11 TD's with just four int's

Comment

• Originally posted by Crush77
                    Worth putting up...

Shannon Sharpe Weighs In On The Jay Cutler Saga
                    March 18, 2009 – 8:53 am by Bunk

Well, the Josh McDaniels era in Denver sure hasn’t gotten off to a great start. If the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator was hoping to make the Broncos denizens forget about the storied and lengthy career of predecessor Mike Shanahan, it probably was going to take even greater play from QB Jay Cutler, who definitely showed flashes of greatness in 2008. But McDaniels ruffled feathers and alienated Cutler early and often upon arriving in Denver. You usually hear coaches, particularly young ones like McDaniels, say what’s necessary to not lose the respect of key members of a football team early on in their tenures. Not McDaniels. The result has been a testy Jay Cutler, and rightfully so to a certain extent.

Could Cutler really be on his way out of Denver before the first day of spring this off-season? It’s looking more and more possible every day, with Cutler’s home even being listed for sale as of late last week. To get the scoop on what’s going down, let’s check in with former Broncos TE legend Shannon Sharpe on KKFN in Denver. And if you’re a bit tired of the plain-Jane answers given by so many college basketball coaches and NFL folks this time of year, don’t worry - it’s Shannon Sharpe!

Sharpe begins by explaining that he thinks coach McDaniels is making a huge mistake in wanting to get rid of Cutler, one of the few lone bright spots for the up and down Broncos last year:

“The more that I sit down and think about it - you had the second worse defense in the National Football League. You couldn’t turn the ball over; you couldn’t pressure the quarterback. And the new guy [McDaniels] comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is his Pro Bowl QB? I don’t want to trade for a Julius Peppers. I don’t want a Ray Lewis or a Bart Scott; I don’t want a defensive lineman. I want to trade my QB! That’s the problem.”

On the double standard in the NFL for players and front offices when it comes to making ‘business decision’:

“And why is it that when an organization wants to trade a player, it’s business; but when a player wants to request a trade, he’s being disgruntled, he’s a malcontent? See you can’t have it both ways.”

Does he think Cutler and the Broncos will work out there differences?

“If I’m Jay Cutler now, I think he has to leave.”

On how he dealt with a somewhat similar issue when he was with Denver earlier in his career:

“When Mike [Shanahan] tried to trade me in ‘95, after the ‘95 season. And when I called the organization they said it wasn’t true. And my agent and I found out later that it was true. I never trusted Mike again until I got back the second time around.”

Check out the site too so you can hear even more from Sharpe!
                    Thanks. I put it up.
                    sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

• Denver has upper hand; ask Chad Johnson how demanding a trade worked out for him

The ball is in Denvers court. Cutler already said he will show up to the mandatory practices in April. Which actually means he doesnt have the brass to hold out, and miss out on any money.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
                        wow that comment was a winner.......

no class......

Huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by I Hate SD Alot View Post
                          I'm just saying man, who are you to criticize him? He's giving his opinion and so do you on these boards. Some analysts and even coaches and general managers had little to no experience. But they were good in evaluating talent and such.
                          Everyone can have their opinion. I just dont think Dilfer is in any position to be critical of a QB that is far better than he ever was.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bjmohar View Post
                            The ball is in Denvers court. Cutler already said he will show up to the mandatory practices in April. Which actually means he doesnt have the brass to hold out, and miss out on any money.
                            Brillian post :sighs:

Perhaps its not so much not having the 'brass' to hold out as him saying that he's not goingto "go the extra mile" for McDaniels.. but he'll hold up to his end of the contract.

Cutler is a wanted QB that has more value that Chad Johnson.

Comment

• That was excellent. Exactly how I will be feeling. The scary part is that I can picture Shefter or Goodell announcing a trade. At that point, I will be ready to chuck my remote at the TV.
                              Originally posted by darth-hideous
                              Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
                              Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Comment

• There is side by side of situationals between Cutler and Rosenfels 2008
                                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X