Clear All

Not good, not good at all!!!

Originally posted by BroncosRule23 View Post
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11830461?source=rss

Reworked deal relief to Stokley
    By Mike Klis
    he Denver Post
    Posted: 03/04/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Even before they acquired Jabar Gaffney and signed David Anderson to an offer sheet, and before they knew Brandon Marshall would get into trouble, the Broncos decided to bring back veteran slot receiver Brandon Stokley.

Stokley's return was ensured Feb. 27, in the hours before the opening of NFL free agency, when the Broncos and Stokley agreed to roll his $500,000 unguaranteed roster bonus into his 2009 salary. Then they agreed to guarantee $560,000 of his $1.41 million salary for this season. So Stokley is back, despite the crowd at receiver.

"When you bring a new coach in, you just never know," Stokley said. "I wasn't sure until I signed that new contract that I was going to be here for another year."

Most teams carry four or five receivers on their game-day, 45-man roster. The Broncos have four in Marshall, Eddie Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. Anderson would make it five if Houston doesn't match the three-year, $4.5 million offer he signed with the Broncos as a restricted free agent.

Simms passing through.

The Broncos will visit today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms. If a deal can be reached, Simms, 28, would replace Patrick Ramsey as Jay Cutler's backup.

Scheffler on trade block.

The Broncos have been shopping Tony Scheffler. Scheffler, 26, is considered one of the NFL's best receivers at tight end — his average of 16.1 yards per catch led all players at his position with at least 40 receptions last year.

However, there is concern Scheffler might not fit in the New England offensive system that new coach Josh McDaniels has brought with him to Denver.

New England's offense usually lines up with three wide receivers and one tight end. The Broncos already have the prototype New England-style tight end in Daniel Graham, who played for the Patriots from 2002-06. Graham left New England for free agency in part because the Pats rarely use the tight end in their passing game.

The most logical destinations for Scheffler are teams that operate the West Coast offense, which often uses a second tight end in the game. The Philadelphia Eagles have the most prominent West Coast offense.

Footnote.

Former Broncos offensive tackle Erik Pears has signed with Oakland.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post
    So not only is Jay upset about all this trade talk hoopla. The team is talking about trading one of his closest friends since he has been a Bronco. This will not be good news for Jay as he is coming in to attempt to mend his relationship with the front office (if Jay is willing to mend it that is). This is not a good situation. I wont be surprized if Jay comes out of this "meeting" still pissed and possibly wanting out of Denver.
    http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

I think McDaniels is making a mistake in trying to mold the team to his system, rather than considering what talent he already has here and trying to shape his system to the players. We had a pretty darn good offense last year, and granted, we need to improve a bit, but it's not like you have to reinvent the wheel. I think Scheffler can be used in his system, and he's not even costing us a lot of money against the cap at the moment. The guy has too much athleticism to not try to keep at the position. If Graham goes down, what do we have then at the TE position? IIRC, we already got rid of Putzier, Jackson, and Mustard (technically he's both a TE and T), so really, Graham and Scheff are the only two TE on the roster at the moment.
      Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

This thing is getting really stupid.......

You don't shop a player that is young and is a QB Savor on the Field and has Great hands, you make people come to you if your gonna make a deal at all.

When you shop a player, others assume its a Dollar store and thats what your gonna get in return.

Does this guy Know talent at all.
        We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of

sigpic

Comment

IF Scheffler is Traded Hillis Will become a TE

we could have Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley playing for us it seem extremly logical..great hands, good speed,running and pass blocking ability, good route runner(from college)...Payton could extremly effective as a TE..do you guys Agree..Similar builds

Comment

I Know we are shopping Scheffler, but look at another aspect

We all know TE Tony Scheffler is ont he block. I do not want him there because he is progressive and works well with our man Cutler. But think about this...if we are trading him because he is not a blocking TE...then doesn't that tick Graham off a little too? HE CAME HERE WANTING TO BE INVOLVED IN THE PASSING GAME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! That just ruins the purpose...doesn't it? Please let me know your toughts? I am in the middle of mid terms and getting ready for spring break but I am still checking rotoworld.com and our boards for any info on any situation! I love my Broncos...but I don't like the Patriots we are becoming...
            50 Stars and 13 Bars

Comment

I don't know what the heck Josh is thinking at this point and starting to believe that he may be in over his head. I don't care at what postion but Hillis & Shef need to be on the Field doing their thing.

I've got one for you, If I gave you the Broncos and said win...Why would you do anything other then spend the next 6months fixing the Defense and plug a hole in the offense.

Hillis and Shef need to be on the field regardless of any System. Systems very seldom work when placed with other teams.

sigpic

Comment

It's not like we're going to use the patriots system to a T. We honestly cannot. We have Cutler, not brady or cassel. Not saying they are better, but they are more accurate. We have to adjust it to cutlers strengths. Graham never said he disliked blocking, in fact many times he has openly said he enjoys all aspects of the TE including blocking. He just wanted to be involved in the passing game more and get more money. The patriots never paid him a lot.

We will not use the TE like we did last year true, but if we kept scheffler his catches would drop and graham would never catch anything. There really is no need for 2 TEs in this offense. As much as it sucks.

Comment

Hillis is a dominate RB.

Not a home run hitter but I hope they are watching the game film last year and realize the dude is a beast with the ball.

Personally I think you keep him at full back but still give him the ball 5-10 times a game.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Everyone seems to forget one thing. This is not shanahans offense anymore. McDaniels has zero experience running this offense and he's the head coach. It's not like he's going to go to Cutler and say, hey i'm lost, you call all the plays ok? I also wouldn't say he is in over his head until we see it on the field. Everything he has done so far seems to make sense according to yes the patriot way. Apart from the whole trade thing, which we still don't have all the facts on.

Just give the guy a chance before you stick a stake in him...

As for Hillis it's possible but I doubt it. The pats have never used a TE like that and we already have one in graham. They generally use their RB and FBs more and I would not be surprised to see him be the starting FB.

Comment

If McDaniels installs a similar system to what he ran with the Pats, the vast majority of the formations will use only 1 TE, and mostly use him for blocking. Graham is our best bet if that's the case, and the system would, in some ways, justify trading Scheff.

But for Hillis, it might be a difficult adjustment to make. The footwork and technique for blocking at the line is different than the technique for blocking out of the backfield. Plus, I think he's too much of a threat in the backfield. I would love to see us run a lot of 2-back sets having 2 legitimate threats in the backfield--Hillis is good at both run blocking and pass blocking from the backfield, plus he's an above-average receiver and we know what he can do when he gets to carry the ball. I don't think I want to lose that kind of backfield weapon by turning him into a TE who will block most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by theflammer View Post
                        This thing is getting really stupid.......

You don't shop a player that is young and is a QB Savor on the Field and has Great hands, you make people come to you if your gonna make a deal at all.

When you shop a player, others assume its a Dollar store and thats what your gonna get in return.

Does this guy Know talent at all.
                        You mean the guy that helped mentor brady and cassel? That same guy who knows no talent?

As for the shop a player comment. What do you mean exactly? Kindve what they did to cutler? Or what they are doing now? I don't think they trade him unless we get a 2nd or better.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
                          It's not like we're going to use the patriots system to a T. We honestly cannot. We have Cutler, not brady or cassel. Not saying they are better, but they are more accurate. We have to adjust it to cutlers strengths. Graham never said he disliked blocking, in fact many times he has openly said he enjoys all aspects of the TE including blocking. He just wanted to be involved in the passing game more and get more money. The patriots never paid him a lot.

We will not use the TE like we did last year true, but if we kept scheffler his catches would drop and graham would never catch anything. There really is no need for 2 TEs in this offense. As much as it sucks.
                          Why not get rid of Graham he has more value and keep Cutler happy by keeping Tony and if he struggles blocking why not get a slim OT to be a TE use Polumbus or something

Comment

we had the number 16 offense and they had the number 8...scheff might stay and they move him around if they cant get a 2nd 3rd or 4th look for him to stay or a quality NT dont be surpised to see him goto

Cleveland for a 4th for Shaun Rodgers

then would anybody Cry

Comment

Why shop Scheffler. Does McDaniels not realize you need more than one freakin tight end on a team? Not to mention the guy can line up as a wide reciever and has done so many times. I just don't know what goes through this guys freakin head. Hey lets trade a great wide reciever and sign a freakin long snapper.
                              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

You keep mentioning Brady and your wasting your time typing the name Cass, but he wanted to get rid of our Brady so I hold that with no regards...

If you shop a player then it shows you don't think he is the best at that Position on your team. Most cases, We know Shef doesn't block very well but he gets down the field and makes big plays and in this day and age that is what your looking for.

I would assume that all NFL Coaches know what system Josh is running and they know that Shef doesn't really fit the system and they will call us and at that moment they are playing into our hands.

Why did the Cowboys trade for Kitna when the Lions were gonna cut him...Maybe I am losing my head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X