Can Spencer Larsen be our Teddy Bruschi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Spencer Larsen be our Teddy Bruschi

I know I know, too damn many NE comparisons already. Well I am never one to shy away from beating a dead horse, so I pose the question; Can Spencer Larsen be a bit like our version of Teddy Bruschi?

I remember when Teddy Bruschi was described as a less than stellar athlete with good instincts and a nose for the ball. Many people also thought he wasn't good enough to be a starter, and look how that turned out.

I am not saying I think he will be as good as Bruschi, I hope so, but obviously he would have a long way to go to reach those heights. But, I think it is something to think about. Larsen kind of reminds me of the kind of guys Belichick likes, and it is obvious that BB has rubbed off on McD at least a little.

I bring this up because I really like the guy. He is one of those type of players that you just have to root for. And he went to the same HS as my brother, not at the same time but still kind of cool. It was Gilbert HS in Phoenix BTW.

Originally posted by Raiders_R_Back
    IMO, he is a special teams player at best. When you played him at LB last year, he looked horrible. He is better at playing FB than he is at LB.

In the 3-4, you ask your LBs to shed blocks and take on 330 pound Guards. Larsen will never be able to do that.

Spencer Larsen can be your Teddy Bruschi......of Special Teams....

JMO

Actually in the Falcons game he looked pretty darn good for a Rook making his first start. He helped our horrible Defense hold Turner to a pretty pedestrian looking game. 25 Atts for 81 yards a 3.2 YPC granted he did score 2 tds. That was one of our Defenses best games, and Larsen started at MLB for us.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
      Actually in the Falcons game he looked pretty darn good for a Rook making his first start. He helped our horrible Defense hold Turner to a pretty pedestrian looking game. 25 Atts for 81 yards a 3.2 YPC granted he did score 2 tds. That was one of our Defenses best games, and Larsen started at MLB for us.
      This was one of the few games that I touted as our Defense showing true heart and grit. !!!! It was because Mr. Larsen was there stopping runs by sticking his nose right in the middle of everything and blowing up the play !!!

Comment

Andra Davis is our Teddy Bru...he isnt fast side to side but for some reason every year he has 90-100 tackles he has good instincts and not as good speed..thats our bru

Comment

This is NOT New England, this IS the Denver Broncos.
          What's wrong with you guys making these dumb comparisons?
          Spencer Larsen played good before he got hurt. I think he can play in the NFL, but I hope we're not copying the New England defense now

I take offense at the fact that McDiaper is trying to literally build another New England team, to the point that now fans are looking at our players as if they were the Patriots.
          Anybody figured out who Ryan Clady would be when you convert him to a NE player?
          Is Jay Cutler Matt Cassel or tom Brady?
          I hear already Royal is Wes Welker...

Come on, let's have some pride on who we are, and not a cheap imitation of another team. Hopefully the core of players that were here before McD would ensure those thoughts stop quickly...
          Last edited by dragster69; 03-07-2009, 06:56 PM.
          sigpic
          I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
            Spencer Larsen played good before he got hurt. I think he can play in the NFL, but I hope we're not copying the New England defense now

I take offense at the fact that McDiaper is trying to literally build another New England team, to the point that now fans are looking at our players as if they were the PatriotsAnybody figured out who Ryan Clady would be when you convert him to a NE player?

Come on, let's have some pride on who we are, and not a cheap imitation of another team. Hopefully the core of players that were here before McD would ensure those thoughts stop quickly...
            THIS. I %$#@!*& despise the NE Patriots and I have ZERO interest in being "Cheatriots West"

Denver Broncos and Mike Shanahan > Cheatriots and Bill Belicheat
            sigpic

Comment

No, Spencer Larson is not a Teddy Brushi.
              He´s more like a Zach Thomas. And Zach Thomas did pretty good for a long time. We have to be carefull the Dallas Cowboys don´t steal him from us, they may see him in the veneer of a Norton or Nguyen or Thomas.
              Andra Davis and Spencer Larson sounds pretty good to me, but it may also mean an early strategic decision to not pursue Rey Maualuga or James Laurianitis (although he is an outside linebacker).
              Don´t assume people don´t see the talent you are hiding on your roster. Nary a Denver Bronco has been picked up off of waivers, yet, for whatever reasons. That Bonanza may come though.
              mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

I take offense at the fact that McDiaper is trying to literally build another New England team, to the point that now fans are looking at our players as if they were the PatriotsAnybody figured out who Ryan Clady would be when you convert him to a NE player?

IMO there is nothing dumb about the comparisons. This is a copy cat league from top 2 bottom, look @ how many teams started using the wild cat, teams going to the 3-4 defense, bigger recievers, etc the list goes on and on. The truth of the matter is that New England has been the blue print for success a long time on how 2 win. They have taken blue collar guys who people never heard of and may not make a nother NFL roster and created a dynasty. I know some people don't like our FA pick ups but when New England was winning championships it wasn't with Moss and it wasn't with young talent it was with no names and senior citizens
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but to do that without star power, you have to bid the whole bank. They did and lost. And it shows. They´re starting over with a new blueprint, and they are shedding responsible people, like a scared animal sheds hair.
                  mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

I know I know, too damn many NE comparisons already. Well I am never one to shy away from beating a dead horse, so I pose the question; Can Spencer Larsen be a bit like our version of Teddy Bruschi?

I remember when Teddy Bruschi was described as a less than stellar athlete with good instincts and a nose for the ball. Many people also thought he wasn't good enough to be a starter, and look how that turned out.

I am not saying I think he will be as good as Bruschi, I hope so, but obviously he would have a long way to go to reach those heights. But, I think it is something to think about. Larsen kind of reminds me of the kind of guys Belichick likes, and it is obvious that BB has rubbed off on McD at least a little.

I bring this up because I really like the guy. He is one of those type of players that you just have to root for. And he went to the same HS as my brother, not at the same time but still kind of cool. It was Gilbert HS in Phoenix BTW.
                    I think there is definite potential there for him. He may not start this year but could learn a lot from Davis and actually getting reps and practice at the position istead of FB. He will make good progress this and will look even better than he did last year. he is a tough player and has good ball instincts. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year and develop into a very solid LB for the team.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really like the idea of Spencer Larsen and DJ playing inside. The pair would form a duo very similar to Bruschi and Mayo.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

You have a valid point, but the NE front seven has been very good the last 7 or 8 years. It's inevitable that the comparisons will come.

If it makes anyone feel any better we can draw on the fact that the Broncos were the first to utilize the 3-4.

Maybe we can compare him to Randy Gradishar!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Maybe we can compare him to Randy Gradishar!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Now THERE'S a comparison I can LIVE with!
                          uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

Originally posted by Raiders_R_Back
                            IMO, he is a special teams player at best. When you played him at LB last year, he looked horrible. He is better at playing FB than he is at LB.

In the 3-4, you ask your LBs to shed blocks and take on 330 pound Guards. Larsen will never be able to do that.

Spencer Larsen can be your Teddy Bruschi......of Special Teams....

JMO

Uh, which game did you watch? The one game he started was at Atlanta, and that was probably one of the best games our defense had all year, especially against the run.

He isn't too fast, but he is a very strong and cerebral player. He will make his assignment, fight through blocks, and make hard and sound tackles. he just won't be running backs down from behind.
                            sigpic

Comment

Larsen was good for one game and then pretty much invisible the rest of the season. I'm hoping maybe with some extra experience he could grow into a good ILB but I wouldn't expect anything like that by next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X