A look on the bright side: Everything that could possibly go right in 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look on the bright side: Everything that could possibly go right in 2009

In no way is this meant to be a copycat of CanDB's thread, anyone who has read my posts in GD in the past know that I usually like to bring some positive thoughts to the boards when most people seem to be angry.

The only problem was, throughout all of last week, I was pretty angry too.

With a new week comes a new outlook though, and I've realized there are so many things that can go right this year, starting a few weeks ago through February 7, 2010, that there's little point in feeling blue.

This post is pretty long, so I split it into subtopics for easier reading...

Themes to look forward to
    • Brand new coach means brand new style

Tough Schedule means no excuses about the teams we play

Young offense continues to grow, develop, under a coach who has a proven record of improving offenses

A 0% chance the defense is as bad as last year

The draft will bring new players to root for

Less job security = More competition = Better performance

The coach

We all know the not-so-impressive history of coaches who coached under Bellichick. McDaniels is different though, and for as much as I've hated him over the past two weeks, I'm beginning to become excited again. Remember, this is a guy who has LIVED football his entire life, woke up to football, ate football, smelled football, everything about him was football.

I challenged his intelligence after dangling Cutler in trade talks, but the truth is, this guy knows a LOT of football. None of us know the true details behind what happened with the Cutler fiasco, but we do know this; McDaniels has a plan, and that plan is to win ASAP.

He's 32 years-old, so he can coach this team for a decade + if he's successful. In a lot of ways, he's a much younger version of the coach we had, and that's probably a good thing. Similar concepts, but different styles.

The new styles should resonate well with the players, and I get the sense that a lot of them are curious for change, anxious for change, and ready to perform better than ever under a new head coach.

The schedule

There's no debating the difficulty of our schedule next year, we play TOUGH teams.

BUT, we might've lucked out a bit. We play Baltimore (who just lost a TON of key players on D, not to mention their coordinator), the Bengals (who just lost their best WR), the Eagles (we took their safety and 2nd string RB, possibly a prime time game now, plus you KNOW Dawkins will play well, assuming he's healthy), the Colts (that's a challenge, no way around it), and the Redskins (probably a bit overrated) on the road.

Those are some tough teams, but you know what, those are actually WINNABLE games on the road, those are teams we can absolutely beat. Indy will be tough, but anything can happen until we play them.

Then, at HOME, we got some of the tougher games. The Browns (who we beat last year, and they are probably worse now than they were last year), the Steelers (SB champs, but hey, we got them at home. They were pretty good the last time we played them, on prime time, and we were able to eke out a win there, so never say never), The Patriots (Who, this year aside, we have a pretty good history against...plus you KNOW this is a primetime game that McDaniels will be planning VERY hard for. Brady's coming off an injury, they don't have Cassel, there's certainly a lot of ?'s with the Pats), the Cowboys (who are only getting worse), and the Giants (Again, a very tough team, but hey, we got them at home).

We definitely have more winnable games on the road than at home, which means we could pull off a couple of home upsets, and a couple of big road wins. Our schedule is hell, but we can certainly get 10 wins out of that.

The offense

We all know what just happened with Cutler, but you know what, it'll motivate him. He's most likely going to be a Bronco next year (Again, you can't ever say definitely in this sport), and so whether he really wants to or not, he'll be starting.

Worst case scenario, he hates Denver at that point and wants out...well, and don't forget, this isn't likely to happen, but...he'd be in a contract year. If he wants BIG money he has to perform. Sure he can get a contract with a decent year, but he'll hit it big time with a big year, so you know he'll be trying his hardest. There's even a chance a good season would completely change his mind.

I don't see Marshall getting more than 4 games, and I think, or I hope at least, it's only around 2. He'll appeal, but it most likely won't be less than 2. Which isn't terrible...even four is manageable. All that does is keep our best WR HEALTHY as we get into midseason. Marshall will play next season, we know that much at least, and he's pretty damn good when he plays (you can say what you want about the drops...you don't catch 100+ passes two seasons in a row if you're not GOOD), Royal will continue to improve, and likely be better than this year in McDaniels system...we'll still have Stokely, Gaffney's not a bad 4th stringer, and who knows, maybe we even draft someone.

Graham's quietly done a great job with the Broncos. He's got to love the fact McD is the head coach now, and he'll be utilized even more this year. He's THE best blocking tight end in the game, period. He can catch passes too, and you can be sure McD will set him up to help us the most.

The O-Line's staying the same from last year, and it was one of the best in the league last year. Aside from Casey, there all young and improving, so we can expect great protection and blocking once again next year.

We have enough running backs for three teams now, and with Hillis back at FB, we have yet ANOTHER weapon on offense. In addition to Buckhalter, Arrington and Jordan (all GREAT pass catching RBs) we have Hillis (who will go back to being the best pass catching FB in the NFL). On any given play our offense could pass it to our four solid WRs, our one or 2 RBs in at a given time, our FB, or just hand it off to any of 5 or 6 guys. Our offense is going to become ELITE next year, just wait and see.

The Defense

There's just no way our D can be as bad as last year. We still have the two best players on our D, Champ and DJ, and we're building around them. Dawkins, though old, will help out or D INCREDIBLY. He is exactly the type of playmaking safety/team leader we needed on defense last year. Renaldo Hill is better than what we had last year too, not to mention Barrett's developing still and could see some time next year.

We cut Bly, but our corners will be solid, trust me, it'll be better than last year, same with the LBs...switching to the 3-4 will benefit everyone on our D.

Our D-Line could still use a little bit of a tuneup, but that's what the draft will be for.

Speaking of the draft...

The draft

Every year, we watch the draft to find that one (or more) new player who we'll cheer for, the one player who will be THE player. The one who will make an impact next year. Player X.

That's what we can expect from the draft...a need we currently have, say DT or LB or Corner...that need will get filled through the draft.

Personally, I love the draft, and we've done GREAT the past few years. Though we're under completely different management now, there's no reason not to be excited. We're picking at #12, so we've got to get a player who will make impact. Sure, we could pick a bust.

But we won't.

What's up with the Locker Room

I don't buy into anything saying McDaniels put Cutler in this situation on purpose to prove a point. However, I believe it will prove a point.

This team's going to come together this season, they're going to gel, they're going to play harder than they might have in the past. Every player knows they can lose their job at any moment, and with very little money guaranteed for most players, these are jobs that, believe it or not, they NEED to keep.

That will be plenty enough motivation to encourage this team to have a significantly better 2009 than expected.

On to 2009

So what does this all mean?

Of course, this is only the positive side...there's negatives as I'm sure most on this board will be quick to point out.

But think of it this way: What if our offense scored as many points as they could have. Or at least as many as they should have. We're such a young offense, with a young, creative offensive-minded coach. There's no reason NOT to improve. A team that collects that many yards in a season is a team that has the right pieces, it just needs some tinkering. McDaniels will provide that tinkering, and another year of experience will help everyone.

There's no reason for our offense to be WORSE than last year, and there's every reason for it to be better.

So if our offense is better, our defense isn't worse, and our biggest areas of need are addressed, why can't we be better in 2009? The schedule? Nonsense, any given Sunday, every given Sunday. It's all in the planning and execution, and this 2009 Broncos squad will get it done.

I won't say playoffs yet, but I'd be willing to be that this team will surprise a LOT of people next year. Even though 95% of the people on this board will be talking Super Bowl by Week 5, claiming they knew this team was something special all along...I'll just say it first.

This team will surprise people, and I mean that in a good way.

And if they don't, I can always just re-write this thread next year

Last edited by RunYouOver; 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM.
    Administrator

sigpic

very very good post bro...I'm looking ALL forward to it...I'm hopin' for a Broncos super bowl...I think we really could do it...not likely but def possible

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
      In no way is this meant to be a copycat of CanDB's thread, anyone who has read my posts in GD in the past know that I usually like to bring some positive thoughts to the boards when most people seem to be angry.

The only problem was, throughout all of last week, I was pretty angry too.

With a new week comes a new outlook though, and I've realized there are so many things that can go right this year, starting a few weeks ago through February 7, 2010, that there's little point in feeling blue.

This post is pretty long, so I split it into subtopics for easier reading...

Themes to look forward to
      • Brand new coach means brand new style

Tough Schedule means no excuses about the teams we play

Young offense continues to grow, develop, under a coach who has a proven record of improving offenses

A 0% chance the defense is as bad as last year

The draft will bring new players to root for

Less job security = More competition = Better performance

The coach

We all know the not-so-impressive history of coaches who coached under Bellichick. McDaniels is different though, and for as much as I've hated him over the past two weeks, I'm beginning to become excited again. Remember, this is a guy who has LIVED football his entire life, woke up to football, ate football, smelled football, everything about him was football.

I challenged his intelligence after dangling Cutler in trade talks, but the truth is, this guy knows a LOT of football. None of us know the true details behind what happened with the Cutler fiasco, but we do know this; McDaniels has a plan, and that plan is to win ASAP.

He's 32 years-old, so he can coach this team for a decade + if he's successful. In a lot of ways, he's a much younger version of the coach we had, and that's probably a good thing. Similar concepts, but different styles.

The new styles should resonate well with the players, and I get the sense that a lot of them are curious for change, anxious for change, and ready to perform better than ever under a new head coach.

The schedule

There's no debating the difficulty of our schedule next year, we play TOUGH teams.

BUT, we might've lucked out a bit. We play Baltimore (who just lost a TON of key players on D, not to mention their coordinator), the Bengals (who just lost their best WR), the Eagles (we took their safety and 2nd string RB, possibly a prime time game now, plus you KNOW Dawkins will play well, assuming he's healthy), the Colts (that's a challenge, no way around it), and the Redskins (probably a bit overrated) on the road.

Those are some tough teams, but you know what, those are actually WINNABLE games on the road, those are teams we can absolutely beat. Indy will be tough, but anything can happen until we play them.

Then, at HOME, we got some of the tougher games. The Browns (who we beat last year, and they are probably worse now than they were last year), the Steelers (SB champs, but hey, we got them at home. They were pretty good the last time we played them, on prime time, and we were able to eke out a win there, so never say never), The Patriots (Who, this year aside, we have a pretty good history against...plus you KNOW this is a primetime game that McDaniels will be planning VERY hard for. Brady's coming off an injury, they don't have Cassel, there's certainly a lot of ?'s with the Pats), the Cowboys (who are only getting worse), and the Giants (Again, a very tough team, but hey, we got them at home).

We definitely have more winnable games on the road than at home, which means we could pull off a couple of home upsets, and a couple of big road wins. Our schedule is hell, but we can certainly get 10 wins out of that.

The offense

We all know what just happened with Cutler, but you know what, it'll motivate him. He's most likely going to be a Bronco next year (Again, you can't ever say definitely in this sport), and so whether he really wants to or not, he'll be starting.

Worst case scenario, he hates Denver at that point and wants out...well, and don't forget, this isn't likely to happen, but...he'd be in a contract year. If he wants BIG money he has to perform. Sure he can get a contract with a decent year, but he'll hit it big time with a big year, so you know he'll be trying his hardest. There's even a chance a good season would completely change his mind.

I don't see Marshall getting more than 4 games, and I think, or I hope at least, it's only around 2. He'll appeal, but it most likely won't be less than 2. Which isn't terrible...even four is manageable. All that does is keep our best WR HEALTHY as we get into midseason. Marshall will play next season, we know that much at least, and he's pretty damn good when he plays (you can say what you want about the drops...you don't catch 100+ passes two seasons in a row if you're not GOOD), Royal will continue to improve, and likely be better than this year in McDaniels system...we'll still have Stokely, Gaffney's not a bad 4th stringer, and who knows, maybe we even draft someone.

Graham's quietly done a great job with the Broncos. He's got to love the fact McD is the head coach now, and he'll be utilized even more this year. He's THE best blocking tight end in the game, period. He can catch passes two, and you can be sure McD will set him up to help us the most.

The O-Line's staying the same from last year, and it was one of the best in the league last year. Aside from Casey, there all young and improving, so we can expect great protection and blocking once again next year.

We have enough running backs for three teams now, and with Hillis back at FB, we have yet ANOTHER weapon on offense. In addition to Buckhalter, Arrington and Jordan (all GREAT pass catching RBs) we have Hillis (who will go back to being the best pass catching FB in the NFL). On any given play our offense could pass it to our four solid WRs, our one or 2 RBs in at a given time, our FB, or just hand it off to any of 5 or 6 guys. Our offense is going to become ELITE next year, just wait and see.

The Defense

There's just no way our D can be as bad as last year. We still have the two best players on our D, Champ and DJ, and we're building around them. Dawkins, though old, will help out or D INCREDIBLY. He is exactly the type of playmaking safety/team leader we needed on defense last year. Renaldo Hill is better than what we had last year too, not to mention Barrett's developing still and could see some time next year.

We cut Bly, but our corners will be solid, trust me, it'll be better than last year, same with the LBs...switching to the 3-4 will benefit everyone on our D.

Our D-Line could still use a little bit of a tuneup, but that's what the draft will be for.

Speaking of the draft...

The draft

Every year, we watch the draft to find that one (or more) new player who we'll cheer for, the one player who will be THE player. The one who will make an impact next year. Player X.

That's what we can expect from the draft...a need we currently have, say DT or LB or Corner...that need will get filled through the draft.

Personally, I love the draft, and we've done GREAT the past few years. Though we're under completely different management now, there's no reason not to be excited. We're picking at #12, so we've got to get a player who will make impact. Sure, we could pick a bust.

But we won't.

What's up with the Locker Room

I don't buy into anything saying McDaniels put Cutler in this situation on purpose to prove a point. However, I believe it will prove a point.

This team's going to come together this season, they're going to gel, they're going to play harder than they might have in the past. Every player knows they can lose their job at any moment, and with very little money guaranteed for most players, these are jobs that, believe it or not, they NEED to keep.

That will be plenty enough motivation to encourage this team to have a significantly better 2009 than expected.

On to 2009

So what does this all mean?

Of course, this is only the positive side...there's negatives as I'm sure most on this board will be quick to point out.

But think of it this way: What if our offense scored as many points as they could have. Or at least as many as they should have. We're such a young offense, with a young, creative offensive-minded coach. There's no reason NOT to improve. A team that collects that many yards in a season is a team that has the right pieces, it just needs some tinkering. McDaniels will provide that tinkering, and another year of experience will help everyone.

There's no reason for our offense to be WORSE than last year, and there's every reason for it to be better.

So if our offense is better, our defense isn't worse, and our biggest areas of need are addressed, why can't we be better in 2009? The schedule? Nonsense, any given Sunday, every given Sunday. It's all in the planning and execution, and this 2009 Broncos squad will get it done.

I won't say playoffs yet, but I'd be willing to be that this team will surprise a LOT of people next year. Even though 95% of the people on this board will be talking Super Bowl by Week 5, claiming they knew this team was something special all along...I'll just say it first.

This team will surprise people, and I mean that in a good way.

And if they don't, I can always just re-write this thread next year

RYO...very nice indeed!!! Glad you took the time and put it down on paper. Not to worry......my thread and yours are similar in position but you bring new dimensions and thought consideration.

CPs after I reload....

:go:

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
        very very good post bro...I'm looking ALL forward to it...I'm hopin' for a Broncos super bowl...I think we really could do it...not likely but def possible
        That's what you should take out of this, because as last season proved...ANYTHING is possible.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        RYO...very nice indeed!!! Glad you took the time and put it down on paper. Not to worry......my thread and yours are similar in position but you bring new dimensions and thought consideration.

CPs after I reload....

:go:
        We can be the members this forum looks to for positive posts during negative times. CPs to you after I spread them around, too
        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Do we know we will be in a 3-4? If so, who will play NT?

Comment

Originally posted by Lilrush View Post
            Do we know we will be in a 3-4? If so, who will play NT?
            It's pretty much definite at this point...

Not positive who the NT will be, but I'd have to think Marcus Thomas would get some consideration...if we can draft BJ Raji, they he'd probably become the NT, but as of now, not really sure...
            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Raji wont fall.

Comment

You Da Man

I wish everyone who bloged this site had as many up-beat things to say. You Da Man!

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:go::cutler:
                I WAS A BRONCO FAN BEFORE I WAS BORN

Comment

Makes sense to me. I can't wait to see if we can get a running game going.
                  vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

L.t.

L.T. to visit the Broncos on Monday!
                    WOOHOO....:cutler:

Comment

Originally posted by terbronco07 View Post
                      Is that you thinking positively, or the truth?

If it's true, where'd you see that?
                      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Right on!

We gotta be pumped up for this upcoming season. Alot of people have already written us off.

Were not some two-bit, roll over and die team.
                        Were the Denver Broncos dangit!

Im getting jazzed for this season. Bring em all on!

GO BRONCOS! :go:
                        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by armchair scout View Post
                          Makes sense to me. I can't wait to see if we can get a running game going.
                          I am convinced we will have a solid run game, and we have so many weapons to choose from now. Initially I was hoping for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but the group we have now will likely get us back into the top 5-8 in the league. My Eagles buddy really likes Buckhalter, and Lamont and Arrington are useful commodities. Not to mention we have a fabulous FB already, and we still have some competition for spots, including Torain and the gang. As has been described, many of the backs can catch very well, which adds even more weapons at Jay's disposal. This new offense will be extremely hard to defend!

Back to the run game.... watch for the oline to pave lanes for these guys. I saw a whole lot of potentially long runs turn into just decent runs, not because of the oline, but because the backs we had were either too slow or too hurt or didn't have the moves to find the holes. Clady alone made "many" defenders try to get out of the way, when he ventured downfield in sight of the enemy.

So lets compare notes next year.......top 5-8 in the rushing game.

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                            Is that you thinking positively, or the truth?

If it's true, where'd you see that?
                            It was on a blog posted by Bill Williamson on E.S.P.N. Quote sources close to the Broncos stated that L.T. to visit the Broncos on Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by terbronco07 View Post
                              Do you mean Lord Trychon, our Mod??????? Why would he visit, he's already here? We got him signed, sealed and delivered.

You're not talking about the other LT are you???

Comment

Working...
                              X