Any Chance Royal will play Slot & Gaffney across from Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Chance Royal will play Slot & Gaffney across from Marshall

Any Chance that Josh might move Gaffney across from Marshall and use Royal in the slot postion because of their size difference??? 6'1 200 vs 5'10 185

If So do you think this would help Royal or hurt him?

Being on the outside is easier to get off the blocks and separate but on the inside you have a LB covering you a few yards that you should smoke but you in the middle of the defense for a few extra yards....
    We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of

sigpic

I think the best strategy might be to mix up the positions of the WRs; we have 4 good WRs between B-Marsh, Royal, Stoke, and Gaffney, and I think it could give defenses fits if on some plays Royal lines up outside with Stoke or Gaffney in the slot; then on other plays we move Royal inside with Gaffney in the number 2 position. Defenses could not get comfortable with man assignments because they wouldn't always know where their guy was going to line up.

To actually answer your question, I think Royal could be good in the slot but I do think we have one of the better slot guys in the league with Stokely, and I think Royal's speed is better suited overall to the sidelines where he can get behind the secondary; too often the slot guys have to work underneath the coverage.
    Last edited by MileHighInNY; 03-10-2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Royal is better suited on the outside. The slot can take a heck of a lot of punishment underneath and in the middle. I would hate to ruin Royal's skills having him get pounded. Stokeley is a veteran slot who knows the secrets of being a good slot. Let him do that job.

Comment

Don't let Royal's size fool you. There's another guy with nearly the same stature as Royal who consistently plays from the outside. Maybe you've heard of him? Steve Smith (no, not the Giant, lol). To say that he needs to play the slot because he's under 6' is rediculous. He played lights out from the #2 spot in his rookie season for crying out loud.
        Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

What you call the slot, traditionally is called Flanker, he used to line up, in a standing position, on the side opposite the tight-end, who lines up in a three point stance like an offensive lineman. Wes Welker is a good example, and so is Hines Ward. Not to be confused with the so called possession receiver, who comes in on third downs. The Flanker rules the underneath routes, he keeps the middle of the field sharp, of course he can run all the other routes, but along with the tight-end he controls the action in the short to medium range passing game. A very dangerous play is the flanker sweep and reverse play, it is hard to control because of the momentum generated to the outside.
          A flanker is tough, quick, runs crisp routes, and has good break away speed. They also block, especially unattentive linebackers, or down the field in combination patterns with the wide-outs. From the oldsters here, is that an accurate description of the position?

Robert Royal has all the tools to be a good Flanker, although I must say I have not yet seen him take a hit.

Oh, look what I found:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR8AFK5WqPU
          mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan

Comment

Originally posted by mooncamping View Post
            What you call the slot, traditionally is called Flanker, he used to line up, in a standing position, on the side opposite the tight-end, who lines up in a three point stance like an offensive lineman. Wes Welker is a good example, and so is Hines Ward. Not to be confused with the so called possession receiver, who comes in on third downs. The Flanker rules the underneath routes, he keeps the middle of the field sharp, of course he can run all the other routes, but along with the tight-end he controls the action in the short to medium range passing game. A very dangerous play is the flanker sweep and reverse play, it is hard to control because of the momentum generated to the outside.
            A flanker is tough, quick, runs crisp routes, and has good break away speed. They also block, especially unattentive linebackers, or down the field in combination patterns with the wide-outs. From the oldsters here, is that an accurate description of the position?

Robert Royal has all the tools to be a good Flanker, although I must say I have not yet seen him take a hit.

Oh, look what I found:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR8AFK5WqPU
            Good post, but who the heck is Robert Royal?
            Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Sorry, Eddie Royal. Fast Eddie Royal, don´t know if he´s so steady.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't think Gaffney is a legit number 2 reciever?

Comment

Are you thinkin Tory Holt, Marvin Harrison, Derrick Mason, Sam Hurd?

Comment

Originally posted by GCPIII View Post
                    Am I the only one who doesn't think Gaffney is a legit number 2 reciever?
                    I'm right there with you buddy. Still confused why he was brought in, seems like maybe Gaffney had some nude pics of McDaniels in his bank lock box with orders to distribute if he cannot find a team to sign with.

Comment

Anything's possible with McDaniels running things now. I don't think anything is off the table, and he had monster success with Welkah in the slot. Royal is very speedy, and can get a lot of YAC from the slot position.
                      In Manning I trust.

Comment

There's no telling because Royal has alot of talent and I haven't seen much out of Gaffney to speak on him.
                        GO BRONCOS!!!

Comment

Please don't confuse the Thread as to who's better and what I think should happen...

I agree with everyone that Royal will take a beating in the slot every game & all game. I think he is a better reciever then Gaffney and without doult the real # 2.

I am still trying to piece together what Josh Macky is doing & thinking.....

I Hope that he is bringing in Part of the Pats and some Fresh stuff of his own and I like the ideal that he is young and new. I really don't like the older coaches because 9 out 10 times they are afraid of change and this game has changed so much in the past 20 years.

Play Gaffney in 4 and 5 WR sets only...He is the # 4 WR behind Stokley in my book.

sigpic

Comment

I think Gaffney will be a pleasant surprise for the fans. You are seeing him as a bench warmer but I expect good things from him, I always thought he was an underrated weapon for the Patriots.
                            sigpic

Comment

I love Gaffney at Florida and always like their WR's but man it's kinda like watching the RB's from Texas, They seem to never make it in the NFL...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X