Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed in the defensive backfield

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speed in the defensive backfield

    Since the line is heavy, and the linebackers (Boss Bailey+...) are massive, and the free agents aren´t super stars don´t you think the Denver Broncos will be looking for speed in their defensive backfield.
    It seems like a no-brainer to me, they will attempt to draft the fastest little gnats available, aren´t they?
    mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan



  • #2
    Our line isn't heavy. Only heavier than last year. I've never ever heard our linebackers being called "massive" and we haven't been bringing in anything out of the ordinary in terms of speed. I'm not quite sure where all this is coming from.

    Comment


    • #3
      It was a revelation. I shared it with you!
      mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan


      Comment


      • #4
        LINEBACKERS:
        Curry, Aaron 4.56
        Arnoux, Stanley 4.61
        McRath, Gerald 4.61
        Matthews, Clay 4.67
        Phillips, Jason 4.69
        Brinkley, Jasper 4.72
        Cushing, Brian 4.74
        Freeman, Marcus 4.74
        Follett, Zack 4.75
        Fokou, Moise 4.76
        CORNERBACKS:
        Webb, Lardarius 4.46
        Davis, Vontae 4.49
        Hughes, Brandon 4.50
        Owens, Christopher4.51
        Barnes, Kevin 4.52
        SAFETIES:
        Clemons, Chris 4.41
        Bruton, David 4.46
        Spillman, C.J. 4.50
        Vaughn, Chip 4.51
        Martin, Sherrod 4.52
        mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan


        Comment


        • #5
          Can we PLEASE change the subject...let's talk defense!

          Ok, so we've made a couple free agent signings on D and we have the draft coming up.

          Right now, who do we see as having an actual impact on our D for 2009?

          We have Hill and Dawkins out there at Safety and a healthy Champ back on one side at CB. Who else? Does Jack MF Williams get a shot or what?

          We've got DJ at linebacker...and honestly, I don't know who else we'll have there. Hopefully, Maualuga (I can never spell his name right).

          Do we get anything out of the disappointing trio of Crowder, Moss and Thomas?

          I don't know. I really like the Dawkins signing and I'm ok with Renaldo Hill...but other than that, I'm not so sure what we have out there.

          Someone with more knowledge than me...please come in here and talk me off the ledge with this D.

          Thanks,
          Jim

          Comment


          • #6
            If you want to talk defense, talk to Josh McDaniels. There was nothing wrong with the Broncos offense besides needing a healthy RB, but McDaniels has now decided that the offense needs a makeover as well. WHAT AN IDIOT!

            Yes, we all should be talking about our great new defense right now, not all this Cutler bs.

            I'll say it again:

            Josh McDaniels is an idiot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by stampede! View Post
              If you want to talk defense, talk to Josh McDaniels. There was nothing wrong with the Broncos offense besides needing a healthy RB, but McDaniels has now decided that the offense needs a makeover as well. WHAT AN IDIOT!

              Yes, we all should be talking about our great new defense right now, not all this Cutler bs.

              I'll say it again:

              Josh McDaniels is an idiot.
              And yet you bring it up again....

              Comment


              • #8
                Well from the way it looks to me is Goodman and Champ will be the starter and Dawkins at safety. As for the other safety Hill will be OK but Williams I just dont know.

                Hill was a good pick up because he has played at safety and corner. So he will be a solid Nickel back and spot starter. As for a solid starting safety I still think we may go after one in the Draft Hopefully William Moore out of Mizzou. Guys is a ball hawk and great in coverage which is what we need.

                Linebackers are a little confusing. We got DJ and Andrae Davis they say will both start in the middle but the outsides are up in the air. Dumervil should be fine but anyone else is just reachin. So the only logical thing I can come up with is get a solid outside/de Like Maybin PSU or Jackson LSU. But I also have always thought DJ was a much outside backer than inside. So why no take a shot at Rey Maluaga USC or Larinitis OSU in the middle and have doom and DJ on the outside.


                Again these are just my thoughts.


                D-Line is tough, Every says Raji but I am not sold on the guy. But he will be an upgrade from anyone we currently have. I think the line will formed from committee this year and have a pretty heavy rotation of guys filling in. Those who step up will play.

                Its tough to say who we will draft DL, LB or a safety, all I know is we need a young safety now to learn under Dawkins.

                We need at least one more solid linebacker, which I am sure we can fill in a later round because it is so deep at that position.

                As for the line it would not surprise me if we spent 3-4 picks on d-lineman.

                We are fillin the gaps though Andrae Davis is definately a solid upgrade as well as Goodman and Dawkins.


                Bottom Line Very Very Curious to see that first pick.:go:
                Last edited by JDAcord; 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by vannestjc View Post
                  Do we get anything out of the disappointing trio of Crowder, Moss and Thomas?

                  No I think they are all busts, but this is their last year to prove so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by vannestjc View Post
                    Ok, so we've made a couple free agent signings on D and we have the draft coming up.

                    Right now, who do we see as having an actual impact on our D for 2009?

                    We have Hill and Dawkins out there at Safety and a healthy Champ back on one side at CB. Who else? Does Jack MF Williams get a shot or what?

                    We've got DJ at linebacker...and honestly, I don't know who else we'll have there. Hopefully, Maualuga (I can never spell his name right).

                    Do we get anything out of the disappointing trio of Crowder, Moss and Thomas?

                    I don't know. I really like the Dawkins signing and I'm ok with Renaldo Hill...but other than that, I'm not so sure what we have out there.

                    Someone with more knowledge than me...please come in here and talk me off the ledge with this D.

                    Thanks,
                    Jim
                    I can't claim to have more knowledge than you. But here's my take -

                    The move I liked the most so far is the Nolan hiring. I think he will, given time, build a decent defense. He has hired a good defensive staff, as far as I can tell. I like the Dawkins signing and to a certain extent the Fields signing.

                    As for the rest, I can't see Hill as an upgrade to any of our scrubs, nor do I see Goodman as an upgrade to Bly, Bell or Paymah. Andra Davis will probably get beaten out by Spencer Larsen (who I expect big things from this season).

                    If Fields is our de facto starter at NT and Marcus Thomas is at one of the DE spots, we still need another DE. I was hoping we sign either Marques Douglas or Vonnie Holliday and am still holding out hope for either.

                    Just like for the past two seasons, the performance of Moss and Crowder will be key. If they can finally step up in the new scheme, it'll help our team immensely. I think the inside LBs should be set with DJ and Larsen.

                    In the secondary, I think we are still one safety short, especially with our OLBs (who will be responsible for the pass-rush) still not established.

                    My expectations from the defense for this year are to setup the DL for the future, with Thomas and atleast one long-term starter (either NT or DE) and be in the top half of the league in run-defense.
                    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stampede! View Post
                      If you want to talk defense, talk to Josh McDaniels. There was nothing wrong with the Broncos offense besides needing a healthy RB, but McDaniels has now decided that the offense needs a makeover as well. WHAT AN IDIOT!

                      Yes, we all should be talking about our great new defense right now, not all this Cutler bs.

                      I'll say it again:

                      Josh McDaniels is an idiot.
                      For real go back to your other 200 threads to complain about this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I absolutely love the Andre Goodman signing. The guy had 5 int's and 19 pass deflections! The most anyone on our defense last year was 11 and that was LB Jamie Winborn... I know he is kind of old but sometimes guys are just late bloomers and this guy is the perfect example of that.

                        I have a very close friend who is a HUGE Dolphins fan and was very disappointed when we signed Goodman because he was getting better each and every single week to the point where he was a top 4 player on their defense.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                          The move I liked the most so far is the Nolan hiring. I think he will, given time, build a decent defense. He has hired a good defensive staff, as far as I can tell.
                          Agreed. What better way of solidifying yourself if your McDaniels than to hire a defensive coordinator with a ton of experience and head coaching experience.

                          I think Nolen balances McDaniels out nicely.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stampede! View Post
                            If you want to talk defense, talk to Josh McDaniels. There was nothing wrong with the Broncos offense besides needing a healthy RB, but McDaniels has now decided that the offense needs a makeover as well. WHAT AN IDIOT!

                            Yes, we all should be talking about our great new defense right now, not all this Cutler bs.

                            I'll say it again:

                            Josh McDaniels is an idiot.
                            Oh im sorry but this is a thread talking about something OTHER than Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler. Please stop trolling. troll.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by d-bronx42 View Post
                              Oh im sorry but this is a thread talking about something OTHER than Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler. Please stop trolling. troll.
                              Josh McDaniels changed the subject. Not me. I'm all about a new defense in Denver.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X