Woodyard ILB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodyard ILB?

Any excuse to break away from the Cutler soap opera...here is an interesting scouting report on Wesley from last year...many are calling for Rey to be drafted at 12 for us...I think between Larsen and Wesley I feel we have a couple of high octane hungry players ready to lay down some lumber!

Oohh and are great tacklers as well...

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008wwoodyard.php

Wesley Woodyard's Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Is always making plays and always around the football…A great tackler who plays bigger than his frame indicates …Can probably add 15-20 more pounds of muscle in the next few years…Has long arms… A true leader who pumps up his defense…Loves the game and is one of those prospects you label as a “true football player”…Will probably be a good special teamer in the NFL…Has four years of starting experience in the toughest conference in football…Second in the SEC in 2006 with 122 tackles.

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have great coverage skills…Needs to fill out his frame and bulk up if he wants to play linebacker at the NFL…...Has the instincts all great linebackers have but does he have the physical tools?...A late-round prospect.

Notes: If you watch Kentucky football you keep hearing “Woodyard” because he makes so many plays in the box on defense…Was a projected safety coming into college but former defensive coordinator Mike Archer moved him to weak-side linebacker and has thrived since…Can he play inside linebacker?...Scouts are going to love to watch tape on this kid because he plays the game with heart, although he might just be a great collegiate player not cut out for the pros.

Woodyard is a very tricky player to project (I am telling you!) because of his lack of bulk[B]...maybe he can play the WLB psoition with his 4.4 speed at UK's pro day but in my personal opinion I think he can really bulk up and play ILB into a 3-4 defense with his instincts and toughness[/B]. Woodyard was the ONLY player last year that got a solo tackle on Michael Bush on UK's defense (remember, he ended Bush's season and sent him to Day 2 of the draft).

Player Comparison: Ryan Nece.

Subscribe to the WalterFootball.com RSS Feed:
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

love Woodyard. The problem is the linebacker talent at # 12 is pretty darn deep. The Dline is not unless Raji falls, and I just dont see it happening. They could take an outside backer here also, but how do you pass Rey?

Comment

Maybe. But a big MAYBE, and I am sure that Mike Nolan does not like the idea. I like Wesley Woodyard a lot. He needs to be on the field. He is a football player. Last season, he was one of our best defensive players. There were games when he was the best defensive player on the field. Despite his size, he was shedding blocks and making a lot consecutive tackles, laying some big hits, making 3rd down stops, deflecting passes... He was gaining a lot of momentum.

Even Jake Delhomme said that Woodyard was playing great. In my humble opinion, it was a huge mistake to remove him from the starting lineup. I also like DJ Williams, but he was still banged up and had awful, awful games late in the season. Woodyard was flying on the field, giving hope to a dreadful defense. He should have played the whole game against the Panthers, and as a linebacker. 8-9 snaps as a SS? Are you kidding me?

I even dare to think that if he had played the 16 games as a starter, he would have made as many tackles as Jerod Mayo. He was averaging 10 per game, and getting better week after week. I still remember when he started against the Browns, he was looking nervous and rusty, missing some plays. When he calmed down, he became a beast and never looked back.

WOODYARD, YOU ARE THE MAN!
      sigpic

Comment

I also love Woodyard and am a big proponent of seeing him starting in the orange and blue in the near future. Sure he is small...but like the article said he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with a lot of heart; something that cannot be measured through the combine.

He led the SEC in tackles 2 years in a row (junior and senior campaigns) and his the fire that I love to see on the defensive side of the ball.

I think we all saw last year that he can play...

I would love to see:

OLB:Brian Cushing (12th pick in the draft)
        ILB: DJ Williams
        ILB: Wesley Woodyard
        OLB: Jarvis/Doom or another draft aquisition.

Andra Davis and LArsen provide healthy competition and depth (Davis also provides experience and leadership)

The OLB also offers Reid (new aquisition from the Colts)

...that would be very nasty for opposing offenses to see.
        sigpic

Comment

I really don't think Woodyard could get big enough to play on the inside.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Between D.J. Williams, Spencer Larson, Wesley Woodyard, and Andra Davis, I really don't see us going with an ILB in the first day. OLB and DE are much bigger needs imo. :salute!:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Rambler View Post
              I also love Woodyard and am a big proponent of seeing him starting in the orange and blue in the near future. Sure he is small...but like the article said he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with a lot of heart; something that cannot be measured through the combine.

He led the SEC in tackles 2 years in a row (junior and senior campaigns) and his the fire that I love to see on the defensive side of the ball.

I would love to see:

Andra Davis and LArsen provide healthy competition and depth (Davis also provides experience and leadership)

i Agree Woodyard needs to be on the field on Sundays hes a Ballhawk im sooooo Big on Woodyard i just love seeing him play i honestly think hes probably the best LB we have but thats just a maybe, im more than willing to give him a shot at getting the starting ILB position with time his motabolism will slow down and he will gain the weight he needs to gain cant wait to see this guy out on the field this upcoming year
              Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
                Between D.J. Williams, Spencer Larson, Wesley Woodyard, and Andra Davis, I really don't see us going with an ILB in the first day. OLB and DE are much bigger needs imo. :salute!:
                Woodyard's isn't big enough for to play every down in a 3-4, at least I don't think he is and there better inside linebacker than Andra Davis. His stats are rather mediocre for guy who had pro bowl nose tackle playing in front of him. Maualuga is available I take him in a heart beat.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC View Post
                  Woodyard's isn't big enough for to play every down in a 3-4, at least I don't think he is and there better inside linebacker than Andra Davis. His stats are rather mediocre for guy who had pro bowl nose tackle playing in front of him. Maualuga is available I take him in a heart beat.
                  Size < Ability / Desire

Al Wilson was undersized, and so are a great many all pro caliber players. Woodyard would make a very good 3-4 inside backer if he can shed blocks well. We have a ton of depth right now at inside backer compared to the rest of our defense, and Rey isn't even a projected top 15 player. If we take him at #12 I'll be very disappointed, because that would be an extreme reach, and I don't think he'll be that good anyway.

Wesley Woodyard - 230 Pounds (frame capable of carrying more)
                  Rey Rey Maualuga - 255 Pounds

Woodyard could easily gain 10 pounds or so, and then he wouldn't be so "undersized" as many people think.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Rambler View Post

I would love to see:

When the Broncos signed Ronnie Fields from SF, that pretty much ruled out Raji. Fields is only 27 yrs old and can play nose tackle at 6-2 315lbs
                    I wanted Raji with our 12th pick, but I can see us going for a LB, and yes, I like Cushing to be that guy
                    Besides LB's this year's draft has a couple of 1st round cornerbacks material as well. We'll see...
                    sigpic
                    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                      When the Broncos signed Ronnie Fields from SF, that pretty much ruled out Raji.
                      Then why did they bring in Raji for personal workouts?

Comment

I agree that with Fields...Raji might not be our first choice. Plus I still think the time to get our anchor NT is next year's draft...there is much more depth at the position.

We can still even add more depth with Terrence Taylor or someone of the likes in the later round.
                        sigpic

Comment

I love woodyard, he has that fire to compete in him, and while i think he would produce if he was on the field, I dont think nolan will put him out there because of his size.

He impressed me with his play against the browns, he took down Jamal Lewis by himself and kept him from getting a first down. Pretty impressive for a guy only weighing 220 taking down a RB who is 240.

I hope the kid gets a chance though
                          Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                          Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Well in my opinion Raji simply wont be there. I also think they brought Raji in because they thought he might still be there at twelve. Fields was signed because its pretty clear Raji wont make it that far down the boards. Im ok with Rey. The boards are all over the place on him though. Ive seen him going as high as five and as low as in the mid twentys. I'm not sure how anyone thinks he is not going to be a great pro. (your certanly entitled to your opinion.) I personally think He is a beast. I watched him a lot last year against the best compitition college has to offer and he was the man. Sure he has holes in his game but there isnt a college player and very few pros that don't. All that being said, while Im not as confident that we are deep at ILB as some of you, I wouldnt mind seeing Cushing be the pick there. A corner would make sense also but like I said before this backer class is something else this year. Its Rey or Cushing. Bank on it.

Comment

Like Woodyard but...

He's too small at any LB position in a 3-4- If we were staying 4-3, then I'd have a different opinion.
                              This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X