X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco Rambler View Post
    I also love Woodyard and am a big proponent of seeing him starting in the orange and blue in the near future. Sure he is small...but like the article said he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with a lot of heart; something that cannot be measured through the combine.

He led the SEC in tackles 2 years in a row (junior and senior campaigns) and his the fire that I love to see on the defensive side of the ball.

I think we all saw last year that he can play...

I would love to see:

OLB:Brian Cushing (12th pick in the draft)
    ILB: DJ Williams
    ILB: Wesley Woodyard
    OLB: Jarvis/Doom or another draft aquisition.

Andra Davis and LArsen provide healthy competition and depth (Davis also provides experience and leadership)

The OLB also offers Reid (new aquisition from the Colts)

...that would be very nasty for opposing offenses to see.
    Perhaps, but unfortunately, THIS won't be very nasty for opposing offenses:

LDE: God-knows because nobody on the Broncos qualifies.
    NT: Ron Brace. A backup with the 49ers. No pass-rush threat at all.
    RDE: Marcus Thomas?

Backing up these marginal players are: Kenny Peterson + Various scrubs.

Leave a comment:

• Botan
    replied
    Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
    Hey, you never know. My point is, we already signed a NT. I was hoping we would draft Raji to anchor our DL for many years to come.
    Raji may not be available at #12, but if he is, I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him, but then again, why did we sign Fields?
    Just because we have one NT doesn't mean we don't need competition at the position. Usually at the very least a team wants 2 at the position.

It could be argued at this point that barring any last red flags Rajii won't even make it to our pick. Some also argue he isn't a NT. But if you consider him a NT, us signing Fields has nothing to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    As for you Raji fans.... He isnt a NT.... Looking at his skill sets, he is a natural fit for a 4-3. He is just a big two gap penatrator, He isnt the type of player that we would be looking for if we make the transition. But it is kind a moot point since there is only about a 5% chance that he makes it out of the top 5 let alone all the way to 12

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    Woodyard is way to small to play ILB in the 3-4. I agree with some that he has a place in a 4-3. I think the best thing to do with him is to play him at MLB when we are in 4-3. I still think that we are going to spend most of 2010 in the 4-3 cause that is what our personel is going to lead us to play. Let the league see what he can do, and then after next season maybe we can move him for something.... Either that, or make him a SS

Leave a comment:

• Cutler4tw
    replied
    Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
    Size < Ability / Desire
    Rey isn't even a projected top 15 player. If we take him at #12 I'll be very disappointed, because that would be an extreme reach, and I don't think he'll be that good anyway.

Wesley Woodyard - 230 Pounds (frame capable of carrying more)
    Rey Rey Maualuga - 255 Pounds

Woodyard could easily gain 10 pounds or so, and then he wouldn't be so "undersized" as many people think.
    Woodyard is only 220 Pounds at most i love the guy and hope he gets a shot at a starting position but to say that Rey is not a top 15 players is rediculous this guy is a straight up player and i asure you he will be a monster in the NFL

Leave a comment:

• mooncamping
    replied
    In a 3-4, as an inside linebacker, Wesley Woodyard from the Kentucky Wildcats? Yes, absolutely. He has the proper proportions and he´s a
    ballhawk.

Leave a comment:

• kona bronco
    replied
    Woodard is a Ball Player no questions about it and the kids heart will never be brought in to question BUT for an ILB in the 3-4 he is just way to small. Inside Linbackers need to be able to shed 300+ lbs linemenoff and still stop the run or penitrate to provide QB pressure. We had undoubtly had one of the best lines in football last year, this offseason is where he needs to prove himself.

Leave a comment:

• swankattack86
    replied
    It would be hard for him to put on the 20-30 pounds me might need to play ILB but i say its worth a ****, i like this kid.

Leave a comment:

• IgorBStrange
    replied
    When I see Raji and read his reviews I hear the words Haynesworth and Shaun Rogers. Takes plays off, tends to underperform, etc..

Now when I see guys like Dorel Scott and Sammie Lee Hill, read about them and see what little video I can get, I think Kris Jenkins, Rubin Carter. Good citizens, great motor, never takes plays off, coachable. Basically everything you want. Plus, with Hill comes the words "athletic and versatile".

As for Woodyard, I think of guys like Joe Rizzo, Bob Swenson. Undersized? So what? He is a player. He gets to the ball and makes plays. Just put him in and watch him go. Like a previous poster said, he stopped Jamal Lewis in his tracks. Give him time to grow, get a good LB rotation going and he'll thrive.

That is what made the original Crush so deadly. If the starters were resting, the 2nd team would beat you up almost as badly. When Alzado, Carter and Chavous took a breather in came Smith, Grant and Manor. All smaller, quicker and just as nasty. There were pieces interchangeable everywhere in the Crush when Collier coached them.

And for all of you who think McDaniels FA pickups sucketh. Remember, even the original Crush had role players, mid grade players and supposed scrubs who molded the unit that those of us old enough remember as arguably the best defense in the late 70's and early 80's.

Keep them fresh and tire out the opponents. Works every time.

Leave a comment:

• dragster69
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    You think we will carry 1 NT for the entire season? Especially Fields, who is not a great NT. The other guy we signed (Parker) is practice squad material for now. Raji would be perfect for us.
    First of all, I'm NOT saying I would be against drafting Raji, I loved to have him, no question
    To answer your question, the other possible back-up at NT would be Marcus Thomas. He's a rotational player, and can play NT as well

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    You think we will carry 1 NT for the entire season? Especially Fields, who is not a great NT. The other guy we signed (Parker) is practice squad material for now. Raji would be perfect for us.

Leave a comment:

• dragster69
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
    Then why did they bring in Raji for personal workouts?
    Hey, you never know. My point is, we already signed a NT. I was hoping we would draft Raji to anchor our DL for many years to come.
    Raji may not be available at #12, but if he is, I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him, but then again, why did we sign Fields?

Leave a comment:

• urinal_cake
    replied
    Like Woodyard but...

He's too small at any LB position in a 3-4- If we were staying 4-3, then I'd have a different opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco Timcat
    replied
    Well in my opinion Raji simply wont be there. I also think they brought Raji in because they thought he might still be there at twelve. Fields was signed because its pretty clear Raji wont make it that far down the boards. Im ok with Rey. The boards are all over the place on him though. Ive seen him going as high as five and as low as in the mid twentys. I'm not sure how anyone thinks he is not going to be a great pro. (your certanly entitled to your opinion.) I personally think He is a beast. I watched him a lot last year against the best compitition college has to offer and he was the man. Sure he has holes in his game but there isnt a college player and very few pros that don't. All that being said, while Im not as confident that we are deep at ILB as some of you, I wouldnt mind seeing Cushing be the pick there. A corner would make sense also but like I said before this backer class is something else this year. Its Rey or Cushing. Bank on it.

Leave a comment:

• broncsfan21
    replied
    I love woodyard, he has that fire to compete in him, and while i think he would produce if he was on the field, I dont think nolan will put him out there because of his size.

He impressed me with his play against the browns, he took down Jamal Lewis by himself and kept him from getting a first down. Pretty impressive for a guy only weighing 220 taking down a RB who is 240.

I hope the kid gets a chance though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X