Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case to Trade Champ Bailey

Here's the case for trading Champ Bailey now:

1) Champ will be 31 by the time the season starts. Not old yet, but certainly on his way. He’ll be 33 before he starts the 2011 season when his current contract expires.

2) If we try to keep him in 2011, it will cost a gazillion dollars to avoid free agency in a potentially uncapped year, and hamstring the organization for the next 5 years. If we let him go to free agency, we get nothing in return.

3) He has not yet lost a step (we think), but he will at some point. I'd rather be playing against him once or twice a season than depending on him 16-20 weeks a year when his skills begin to erode.

4) The defense is a major rebuilding project that will take at least 2 years anyway; keeping Champ now will not make a bad defense good. His skills are wasted on a last-place defense.

5) Trade him now while he's still at the top of his game, his market value is still high and we both maximize the return (draft choices) and help accelerate the reconstruction of the defense.

One likely trading partner would seem to be Miami who needs a cornerback after we signed Andre Goodman away from them in free agency. Champ would be an upgrade over Miami’s CB position in 2008, and we should get at least their 1st round pick (#25). We could parlay that pick into Clint Sintim, a very good 3-4 OLB out of Virginia, or perhaps Connor Barwin, DE/OLB and combine star, both of whom appear destined to be very good outside pass rushers.

Other possibilities are:
    Detroit (likely a very high 2010 1st round pick and their 2009 2nd - #33; or their 2009 1st - #20)
    (This likely would be enough to grab both Sintim and Barwin)
    Cleveland (again, a potentially a very high 2010 1st round pick and their 2009 2nd - #36);

Or other 2009 1st round picks from these teams that are also looking for cornerbacks:
    Washington - #13
    New Orleans - #14
    Houston - #15
    Chicago - #18
    Minnesota - #22
    Atlanta - #24

while i do agree that if the right deal came along we would have to take a look at it, i think your expecting too much, no team is going to give up their first rounder for a 31 year old corner, no matter how good he is. A few weeks ago i would have said no way to this thread too, but now with dawkins as our leader, i say lets trade champ!
    sigpic
    Thanks Sporting4life!

Welcome to Denver Von Miller!!

Originally posted by MarshallMoss
    My bet is open to anyone. 7 sacks minimum playing at least 14 games in 2011. I will eat crow if I am wrong, and will cp everyone who takes my offer. If you lose, you will be happy to send a cp my way![/B]
    Bet Taken! Although i hope you win

Comment

Not gonna happen.

Browns need to gather draft picks in order to address more of their needs.

Not trade away draft picks.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

You're way off on what we would get in compensation. Although we should trade Champ for a good deal, what your proposing is far fetched.
        sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Originally posted by PhillipE View Post
          Here's the case for trading Champ Bailey now:

1) Champ will be 31 by the time the season starts. Not old yet, but certainly on his way. He’ll be 33 before he starts the 2011 season when his current contract expires.

2) If we try to keep him in 2011, it will cost a gazillion dollars to avoid free agency in a potentially uncapped year, and hamstring the organization for the next 5 years. If we let him go to free agency, we get nothing in return.

3) He has not yet lost a step (we think), but he will at some point. I'd rather be playing against him once or twice a season than depending on him 16-20 weeks a year when his skills begin to erode.

4) The defense is a major rebuilding project that will take at least 2 years anyway; keeping Champ now will not make a bad defense good. His skills are wasted on a last-place defense.

5) Trade him now while he's still at the top of his game, his market value is still high and we both maximize the return (draft choices) and help accelerate the reconstruction of the defense.

One likely trading partner would seem to be Miami who needs a cornerback after we signed Andre Goodman away from them in free agency. Champ would be an upgrade over Miami’s CB position in 2008, and we should get at least their 1st round pick (#25). We could parlay that pick into Clint Sintim, a very good 3-4 OLB out of Virginia, or perhaps Connor Barwin, DE/OLB and combine star, both of whom appear destined to be very good outside pass rushers.

Other possibilities are:
          Detroit (likely a very high 2010 1st round pick and their 2009 2nd - #33; or their 2009 1st - #20)
          (This likely would be enough to grab both Sintim and Barwin)
          Cleveland (again, a potentially a very high 2010 1st round pick and their 2009 2nd - #36);

Or other 2009 1st round picks from these teams that are also looking for cornerbacks:
          Washington - #13
          New Orleans - #14
          Houston - #15
          Chicago - #18
          Minnesota - #22
          Atlanta - #24
          I see where you're coming from. If we're totally rebuilding like it looks like we are, we might as well get the top value for Champ before teams start looking at him as over the hill.

I think his leadership and experience is important for all the defensive players we'll hopefully acquire. His knowledge and leadership is just as important as his on-field talent in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by IamBroncos View Post
            I think his leadership and experience is important for all the defensive players we'll hopefully acquire. His knowledge and leadership is just as important as his on-field talent in this case.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Champ is still a damm good player and the younger players can learn alot from him.
            Team Tebow #73

Comment

I see why trade Champ but umm.. i see more reason not to. Ya his age is gettin there. Did he lose a step? Possibly, that does happen when you have injuries. To me, Champ is still a shut down corner and i much rather have him on my team every down than go against him every down. Like every db position, you will be getting burned if your d-line cannot put pressure on the QB. I see Champ back in the Probowl this season. And it would be delightful if we could resign him with a paycut....big paycut....

Comment

While I can understand your reasoning. I tend to agree with a few others that we wouldn't get the value for him that your thinking. Admittedly it will be higher now than it would be in a few more years but in the meantime we already have many new players with more on the way via the draft. Champ could accelerate their learning process just by example and from a teaching standpoint. No way would I pull the trigger on this deal right now but thats my opinion.

Comment

Bears win superbowl Cutler MVP....

Broncos make the biggest mistake in franchise history.
                  Broncos used to be a team of great QB's
                  Now Broncos have a 2nd stringer leading the team.
                  Mcdaniels blew it guys wake up.
                  And Bowlen blew it even more so
                  He should have put both of them over his knee
                  and spanked the crap out of them.
                  Thanx Mcbowlen great job boys
                  way to show us whos boss. by the way who is....

Comment

Not quite yet!!

I do see your reasoning in this whole thing. However, i do agree that you cant get that as much as your saying for champ and champ will be an incredible teacher for our young CB's. I believe that next year we may wanna think about either trying to renegotiate his contract or possibly trade him. Champ is still going to be a shutdown corner this season and a invaluable teacher for our young defense.

Comment

Hey Welcome to the Boards !!!

PhillipE :salute!:

Fantastic first thread well done .... Even if I dont like the subject at all ....

The Broncos do need depth at CB .... Watching the draft this year how the first two rounds play out could serve as an indicator imo...Even though with/wo the draft anything can happen .....
                      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

What the.....

Have you people lost your mind? Trade Champ? You are smoking the wrong kind of pipe. I am glad the people on these boards are not the Broncos FO. Jeesh
                        Always in support of my team. No matter what!:go:

Comment

Might as well.....

The Broncos traded their best offensive player (a pro-bowler by the way)... so lets make it complete, and trade their best defensive player. Broncos have a pretty good kicker too... lets trade him also!!!!

I love the Broncos... but right now, I really dont like em. I'll bet somewhere out there, Shanny is laughing his ass off. I would if my former boss just made the bigest bonehead move in recent NFL history. Did Al Davis buy the team, and we werent imformed?

Comment

Champ has much more value than just being a fast cover corner. He is an awesome football player. He hits, he plays well in run support.

He could potentially move to safety if he does slow down in a couple of years. You might be able to place a value on speed, but you can't place a value on his football IQ.

IMO the only way it would be worth it is if someone desperate makes a move for him. I really don't think there are any corners in this draft that will be as productive as Champ over the next 3 years anyway. We need him right now.
                            Trading him for a 2nd round pick would tell the fan base that we are giving away the season.
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I agree with this thread. I love Champ as much as the next guy, but he's definitely deteriorating. The hammy issues aren't going away at his age. Let's get what we can from him now and try to let him win a superbowl somewhere else. I'm not saying we can't win, but it's probably leaning on the highly unlikely side right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X