Plummer is Taking much Needed Responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plummer is Taking much Needed Responsibility

I have to say that as a newer member, I am a bit dismayed at all the he said she said here, but I will let it slide until after this weekend. (could be a fluke I am hoping) I know we have all seen this article, but I thought I would post it to remind everyone about how commited the new general is to making Dever successful again.

Wednesday Notebook: For Plummer, Pressure is Familiar
    By Andrew Mason
    DenverBroncos.com
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The last time 'Jake Plummer's team was in the type of situation the Broncos face now, he responded with one of the finest sequence of pressure games for any quarterback in recent memory.

With three weeks left in the 1998 season, Plummer and the Arizona Cardinals were 6-7, trailing in the playoff race, and headed to Philadelphia for a game with their division rivals, the Eagles. The Cardinals ended up winning that game in overtime, and Plummer subsequently led the Cardinals to two more come-from-behind wins, against the New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers, to clinch the first and still only playoff appearance for that franchise since it moved from St. Louis in 1988.

In Plummer's eyes, Sunday's game against the Kansas City is the biggest game he's seen since those three weeks of December 1998, when he dragged the Cardinals to their first playoff bid in 16 years. Having the chance to repeat personal history represents part of the reason that he chose to join the Broncos nine months earlier.

"That's why I came here," Plummer said. "We obviously would like to be in a little better position, but it's playoff games from here on out. The only way they stay playoff games is if we win each week. We've got to win this Sunday in order to keep our hopes alive."
    ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

i dont want to jinx him, but i hope he delivers from now on.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Does anyone hear believe he can be a "leader" or is he merely an effective place holder while other more effective playmakers keep our team competetive for the next few years...?
      ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

Anyone that does not think he can't be a leader here in Denver, look at our wins and losses when he is not playing. I think those stats speak for themselves.
        Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

That is one way of looking at it, yes. (trust me I have been a Bronco fan since 85) But is Plummer leading, or acting? I think there is a bit of a difference.

I believe he can be a leader, but he hasn't been yet. (or lost it when he broke his foot)

Comment

Originally posted by palehorse
            That is one way of looking at it, yes. (trust me I have been a Bronco fan since 85) But is Plummer leading, or acting? I think there is a bit of a difference.

I believe he can be a leader, but he hasn't been yet. (or lost it when he broke his foot)
            Yeah, I think its still Shanon Sharpe's offense.

I think he is helping Jake understand not only the offense, but Shanahan, Denver, the fans, etc.

Jake has the personality to be the type of leader he needs to be, but how do NOT defer to guy with the 3 Super Bowl rings? Isn't that why they all play?

Next year, perhaps a more intense Jake Plummer.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
            You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
              Yeah, I think its still Shanon Sharpe's offense.

I think he is helping Jake understand not only the offense, but Shanahan, Denver, the fans, etc.

Jake has the personality to be the type of leader he needs to be, but how do NOT defer to guy with the 3 Super Bowl rings? Isn't that why they all play?

Next year, perhaps a more intense Jake Plummer.
              Shannon is definitely a leader and so is Rod Smith, but neither of those two can do anything without Plummer. Look at the games Plummer did not play did Sharpe or Smith win the game for us, for the matter did Clinton??? The answer is NO!! Jake must be the leader through his play, but he also has everyone on the team buying into his play, including Portis. He just makes everyone better.

Comment

So what we as fans are really witnessing this year, is the creation of a potential leader in Plummer.

Given that premise is a playoff berth possible, on any level, or should we as fans support the new growth of our team?

Comment

So what we as fans are really witnessing this year, is the creation of a potential leader in Plummer.

Given that premise is a playoff berth possible, on any level, or should we as fans support the new growth of our team?
                  Well, if they want to make the playoffs, Jake is going to have to pretty much say "**** it, win or lose, ride with me and follow my lead" They may go down in flames, but I think he will win a ton of respect.

If he doesn't say that, then he will have to start the process all over next year.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                  You should check these guys out

Comment

I don't know how you feel about the playoffs. I will always be a Bronco fan and I think we can get to the playoffs but it will be a really hard feat to do at this time. Even if we do, we have lost some really good players to IR that we would need.

If we do get to the playoffs it will be because Jake has become the leader of this team and again made everyone better. Why does Clinton look better the last two games?? Because they have to worry about Jake's scrambling ability. Jake could have some bad games and have a let down, does that mean he is less than a leader??? I don't think so. When he first came to the team, I was cautiously optimistic if you read my posts in August, you will see that. Now I do believe in him, because of what he brings in the games.

Comment

I wish I had know about this forum back in August. I will be watching the game closely on Sunday, looking for a leader (win or lose)

We need one now, more than ever.

Comment

Plummer is the denver broncos leader.

More than his arm, feet or just his ability to make plays...he has unmatchable charisma.

He is the complete opposite of griese.

Charismatic
                        Mobile
                        Big arm

Comment

The thing that separates Jake from a lot of QB's is that he is unflappable.
                          The guy can have a bad day (See Arizona Cardinals) and still come off like he is indestructible.
                          I'm not going to say he is a great QB. He has the potential to become a great QB. He has many of the qualities that all great athletic performers have...especially the ability to learn from and not dwell on the last bad play.
                          Jakes confidence level is what will make him a solid leader for this team.
                          Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

I believe Jake is indeed charismatic. I sense that the offense truly wants to rally behind him but they are a bit wary or gun shy. It is inevitable that whoever is under center will be compared to Elway. Tough row to hoe for anyone. Griese just could not get any chemistry going with the O. That, in my opinion, created his greatest weakness - inconsistency.

Jake on the other hand seems to be able to relate to the guys. His rep was developed on a horrible team, and rightly or wrongly he still has a stigma attached to him. The next few weeks will have a huge impact. Certainly for our post season hopes this year, but more importantly on our success next season.

Consistent play for the balance of this year, combined with his personality and skills can make him a great leader. As for it being Shannon's offense, I agree and disagree. I see him more as a team leader - a role he can continue while turning over the O to Jake. Plus who knows if Shannon will be back next year.

Jake steps up this year - next year could be back to the mid 90's dominance we all know and love.

Comment

Plummer hasnt had a break out game yet. I lived in Arizona the last 8 years. Gave me the chance to see him play at A.S.U and with the Cards. I believe he will have that one game that shows everyone what he is all about. He is new still to the Bronco's but the day he has that game he will take control.
                              97-DenverBroncos-98

Comment

Working...
                              X