• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Hochuli Rule? Committee proposes replay change

Sorry if this was posted already:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3994121

Committee proposes replay change

NEW YORK -- The NFL will look into changing instant replay rules in hopes of avoiding a repeat of the blown call by referee Ed Hochuli that helped cost San Diego a game last season.

The competition committee will propose that when the ball comes loose when a quarterback is throwing, replay can be used to determine if it is a fumble or an incomplete pass. Such a change would resemble the rules alteration made for down-by-contact plays two years ago.

In the final minute of a game at Denver in Week 2, Hochuli ruled a ball that slipped from Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler's grasp was an incomplete pass instead of a fumble. The ball was recovered by the Chargers and Hochuli later acknowledged his decision was wrong.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I dont think itll change, there are some rules that allow decisions from stuff after the whistle, but I dont think the officiating committee wants to add any more potential excuses for play to go on after the whistle. They can allow the call on the field to be changed to a fumble from an incomplete pass, but any sort of recovery that happens afterward I think would have to be ignored.

Comment

they're going to call it the cutler rule, should go nicely with the merriman rule haha
      sigpic

Comment

They might change this, but they won't change the awful overtime system?

Comment

I don't see how they can change it... or at least how they can modify it so that the 'mistake' can't or won't happen again.

Ed didn't JUST call it an incomplete pass. He blew the whistle. Unless they completely take out the "inadvertent" whistle rule, then this mistake couldn't be changed. When whistles blow, players stop.

You can NOT say that players need to KEEP playing through the whistle. That will get players hurt, and take out the need for whistles altogether.

Comment

i don't get it, why don't they just tell their refs to not blow the whistle so fast on plays like that? that will solve the problem right there, no rules need to be changed just let the play finish, make the call, then decide if it should be reviewed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
              i love how OT is

if you don't wanna lose in OT, grow some balls and win it in 4 qtrs

ncaa OT = soccer moms

it's fn pathetic
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                i don't get it, why don't they just tell their refs to not blow the whistle so fast on plays like that? that will solve the problem right there, no rules need to be changed just let the play finish, make the call, then decide if it should be reviewed.
                I think if it were any player but a QB in a similar situation, he wouldn't have blown the whistle so quickly.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  They can't, baph. How do you tell a guy to NOT blow his whistle when HE sees the play dead. When he blew the whistle, he saw it as an incomplete pass. He didn't see it as 'controversial'.. he wasn't judging it as a "close call".. he simply saw it as an incomplete pass and blew the whistle, like you would on ANY play where the play is dead.

How can you simply let them play, if the play is dead? That would mean that ANY time a ball is incomplete, they don't blow the whistle and allow players to continue to play? Hit? Tackle? block? You can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                    I agree. The NFL is too afraid to make changes on this, and I hate it. Its the WORST overtime rule in professional sports.

Comment

It should be called the 'Chargers crying like *****es' Rule, it was a tear fest all year long from those guys, i bet they will still be crying about it next year, iv never seen any team or teams fans cry so much about a play being blown dead, there have been blown plays like that every year since the NFL started and nobody ever thought much more of it then 'Thats the Breaks' But when it happened to the Chargers in that game they cried and moaned on such an epic scale that the NFL had to change the Rule just to try and shut these cry babies up.
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
                        It should be called the 'Chargers crying like *****es' Rule, it was a tear fest all year long from those guys, i bet they will still be crying about it next year, iv never seen any team or teams fans cry so much about a play being blown dead, there have been blown plays like that every year since the NFL started and nobody ever thought much more of it then 'Thats the Breaks' But when it happened to the Chargers in that game they cried and moaned on such an epic scale that the NFL had to change the Rule just to try and shut these cry babies up.
                        QFT BABY!!

+CP!!
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Ed Hochuli? Denver, Sd? Cutler, Fumble?!

Don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Whatever!

I am amazed they would even entertain this. I hope they change this and Brian Dawkins blows up Phillip Rivers on a Safety Blitz after the whistle. (mostly kidding). Seriously though, how quickly do you think they will change this rule back if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning gets lit up after a blown whistle on a play the players deemed "controversial".

Injuries aside, this just opens things up to too many "what-ifs". How can you say a guy recovered a fumble after the whistle if you dont know what would have happened if the whistle wasnt blown? Maybe the guy takes the ball all the way to the 1 yard line and it gets punched out from behind, maybe he pulls a Leon Lett, maybe. . .maybe. . . maybe. . .

Too much interpretation. It was one play in a season that sees 32 teams play 16 games. How come no one talks about the lack of a review of the final "touchdown" in the Superbowl (one foot was on top of the other - great catch though) or Kurt Warner's "fumble" (actually was an incomplete pass)? Those were far more significant. Its because no one whined about it as much as SD did. Everyone understands its just part of the game. Don't change the friggin rule.
                            Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

I hate to say it, but the rule should be looked at and Denver absolutely was gifted that redo. Granted, they still had to earn the win, and SD proved how suspect their D was by allowing us two chances to win the game. But in all honesty, we should have lost. That being said, I was happy we won at the time and am still happy.
                              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X