Ed Hochuli Rule? Committee proposes replay change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pratama View Post
    I am amazed they would even entertain this. I hope they change this and Brian Dawkins blows up Phillip Rivers on a Safety Blitz after the whistle. (mostly kidding). Seriously though, how quickly do you think they will change this rule back if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning gets lit up after a blown whistle on a play the players deemed "controversial".

Injuries aside, this just opens things up to too many "what-ifs". How can you say a guy recovered a fumble after the whistle if you dont know what would have happened if the whistle wasnt blown? Maybe the guy takes the ball all the way to the 1 yard line and it gets punched out from behind, maybe he pulls a Leon Lett, maybe. . .maybe. . . maybe. . .

Too much interpretation. It was one play in a season that sees 32 teams play 16 games. How come no one talks about the lack of a review of the final "touchdown" in the Superbowl (one foot was on top of the other - great catch though) or Kurt Warner's "fumble" (actually was an incomplete pass)? Those were far more significant. Its because no one whined about it as much as SD did. Everyone understands its just part of the game. Don't change the friggin rule.

Thats right. What if Rivers throws one of his famous passes to a lineman's foot, and the ref doesn't see it, and a safety or LB, now thinking he has to play until someone pulls him off a dead body, demolishes him?
    Chargers' fans opinion of the rule would change.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
      Thats right. What if Rivers throws one of his famous passes to a lineman's foot, and the ref doesn't see it, and a safety or LB, now thinking he has to play until someone pulls him off a dead body, demolishes him?
      Chargers' fans opinion of the rule would change.
      But Patriots and Broncos and Colts fans would all rejoice lol. All three teams have had to deal with the Dolts showing themselves as the ultimate crybabies or poor winners.
      Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Let's just throw away the whistles and call it 'rugby' or summat like that.
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
          It should be called the 'Chargers crying like *****es' Rule, it was a tear fest all year long from those guys, i bet they will still be crying about it next year, iv never seen any team or teams fans cry so much about a play being blown dead, there have been blown plays like that every year since the NFL started and nobody ever thought much more of it then 'Thats the Breaks' But when it happened to the Chargers in that game they cried and moaned on such an epic scale that the NFL had to change the Rule just to try and shut these cry babies up.
          to be fair (which you clearly are not) plays like that don't happen every day that change the outcome of the game like that.

do you honestly believe this is stemming from the fans "whining"? or maybe just maybe there are other people in the league that thinks something should be done about this?

its a good thing that play didn't effect the outcome of the division champ, or even worse......its a good thing it didn't happen in the playoffs.

you are a broncos fan, so obviously you are just going to shove this aside as no big deal and try to blame this on the chargers fans as whining.

maybe you should try to have an open mind for just one second and ask yourself if it is a problem that could effect a future game?

my answer is hell yes it could.
          sigpic

Comment

Bump.

I looked and couldn't find this anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f5e234

Mike Pereira lays out new rules that owners will vote on at the NFL Annual Meeting next week.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Here is a list of other rules that could be made from the week 2 game against the Chargers;
              1. You have to actually catch and possess the ball while in the endzone for the pass to be ruled a TD(see Chambers 2nd TD in which he never actually caught the ball and Paymah forced it out of his hands for reasons why this rule should be instituted)
              2. Offensive Linemen are not allowed to bear hug and simultaneously grab a defenders facemask when said defender is on a clear path to sack the QB from said QBs blindside. (see chambers 1st TD for reasons why this rule should be instituted)
              3. A defender who does not actually contact the QB should not get called for roughing the passer.(see DJ's bogus roughing the passer penalty on a critical 3rd down for reasons why this rule should be instituted)
              4. A fifteen yard penalty should be assessed to any team when one of it's players tries to intentionally break the ankle of an opposing player after the whistle has clearly been blown.(see B-Marsh's catch with just under 2:00 remaining in the half and Matt Wilhelm's reaction to said catch for reasons why this rule should be instituted)

What? What do you mean all these rules already exist? But, I watched the game and all those things were missed. I guess there were bad calls all the way around in that game.

Comment

To discuss the video, they are trying to change the onside kick formations, where you have to have 4 players on each side of the kicker with 3 outside of the hash, and one of those three have to be outside of the numbers??

Say goodbye to onside kicks, if they vote yes on that.

Next is the wedge. People are getting REALLY jacked up with the current rules, so they are proposing penalizing anything with over two people in a wedge formation on kickoffs. I support this rule change, strangely enough.

The next proposal is the penalizing of head to head contact on peel-back blocks by offensive players. This one will pass, its a no brainer.

The next rule proposal is penalizing players for leading with their shoulder or arm to the head a receiver, which is a ridiculous rule change that will only allow the WR to not have to worry about getting hit while catching the ball. This rule change would start coming down to judgment calls, while completely handcuffing DB's.

You'll have to watch the end of the video to hear the proposal about playing through the whistle, because he is VERY vague on the rule change, and actually talks about something completely different.

discuss.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                X