Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all those who blame Cutler for 17-20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by topscribe View Post
    I'll ask the same question I have asked elsewhere: Do you think Cutler would
    have been 17-20, were he the QB for the Patriots? The Steelers?

    Yes, Cutler made some "bone-headed" mistakes. Now, go look at the stats for
    any other quarterback . . . Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, Warner . . . any
    of them. Do you see one of them who did not throw interceptions last year,
    or any year? I have seen the description "drive-killing" in reference to Cutler's
    interceptions . . . do you know of an interception, by anybody, that did not
    kill a drive?

    And yes, I did see a couple incidences where Cutler threw unnecessary INTs.
    I also saw several where he was playing catch-up because the defense could
    not keep up. A QB has to take more chances in such predicaments, and those
    chances lead to more INTs.

    Throw into that equation the fact that Cutler was in just his second year on
    the field. That is overwhelming pressure for a very young quarterback.

    I believe that Cutler not only did well last year, but he passed with flying
    colors for what he had to go through in this stage of his career. Those who
    are overly critical of him need to think more deeply about it.

    Give Cutler at least an "average" defense, and he will not only have a winning
    record, but he probably will go deep into the playoffs.

    -----
    QFT. Good to see some sanity around here again.
    sigpic

    I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by kmcgough25 View Post
      Top,

      I don't think many would argue the what if factor. I think the main issue here is that some of us need to stay balanced in the evaluation of Jay. I just refuse to believe that you can give him "free losses". I have even seen people using stats of when the oppossing team is held under 21 points.

      Most will also admit that he had a fantastic 2/3 of a season. However, the last 1/3 was not so good.

      At this point I believe it is too early in his career to determine if he is clutch or not, based on his opportunity to deliver just one win in his last three games.

      I believe that most of what you stated is based on the enormous amount of potential that Jay has demonstrated and I hope he gets this stuff worked out internally because I, for one, hope to watch him lead the Broncos back to the Super Bowl.

      He has shown it. Now when the consistency kicks in, watch out.
      I understand. And, really, that is what I'm trying to do: establish some balance.

      I've been mistaken for a "Cutler lover." But I really believe we have been too
      hard on and impatient with young players at times. "Don't you mention Cutler
      in the same breath with Elway," has often been the admonishment. Yet how
      did Elway do in his first two years? Look at Manning's first couple years
      (either Manning, in fact). How did that work out?

      It takes time to learn how to read defenses, to check down receivers, to
      sense pressure in the pocket, to see defenders lurking in the background,
      awaiting a pass in their direction. This is professional football . . . dramatically
      faster, tougher, and more sophisticated than college ball.

      QBs who did well in their first year . . . e.g., Roethlisberger and Marino . . .
      were protected by their coaches with "dink and dunk" plays and solid
      defenses. Cutler played downfield, and his "defense" could not contain the
      opposition. Yet he went to the Pro Bowl.

      Don't think Cutler hasn't frustrated me at times and that I haven't uttered a
      few epithets in his direction. But in the end I understand what he has been
      through these last couple years. Does he pout? Yes. Does he have faults? Oh,
      indubitably. So what does that make him?

      A human being.

      Here is the bottom line: The Broncos are a better team with him than without.
      I can live with his faults. Give him a decent defense, and we will be living with
      his wins.

      -----

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by topscribe View Post
        I understand. And, really, that is what I'm trying to do: establish some balance.

        I've been mistaken for a "Cutler lover." But I really believe we have been too
        hard on and impatient with young players at times. "Don't you mention Cutler
        in the same breath with Elway," has often been the admonishment. Yet how
        did Elway do in his first two years? Look at Manning's first couple years
        (either Manning, in fact). How did that work out?

        It takes time to learn how to read defenses, to check down receivers, to
        sense pressure in the pocket, to see defenders lurking in the background,
        awaiting a pass in their direction. This is professional football . . . dramatically
        faster, tougher, and more sophisticated than college ball.

        QBs who did well in their first year . . . e.g., Roethlisberger and Marino . . .
        were protected by their coaches with "dink and dunk" plays and solid
        defenses. Cutler played downfield, and his "defense" could not contain the
        opposition. Yet he went to the Pro Bowl.

        Don't think Cutler hasn't frustrated me at times and that I haven't uttered a
        few epithets in his direction. But in the end I understand what he has been
        through these last couple years. Does he pout? Yes. Does he have faults? Oh,
        indubitably. So what does that make him?

        A human being.

        Here is the bottom line: The Broncos are a better team with him than without.
        I can live with his faults. Give him a decent defense, and we will be living with
        his wins.

        -----
        I wish some fans would acknowledge that Elway had a better defense to support him. It seems like some how John having good defense behind him is irrelevent to his win-loss record.

        No doubt, I believe Denver is much off with Jay than with out him.
        John 11: 25-27

        My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



        Thanks Snk16

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by jhns View Post
          I think 10 GMs see a "franchise QB". They know they can attempt to get a proven player. Just listen to them all talk. They aren't dolt homers that just want to hate on Cutler like you.
          It is true I dont like Cutler at all but that is because of his moody, petulant personality. I have always been objective enough to admit he is a talented young QB.

          I simply dont get carried away like you guys do and am actually waiting for him to accomplish something before I throw out the superlatives I read on here.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by KeepItReal View Post
            It is true I dont like Cutler at all but that is because of his moody, petulant personality. I have always been objective enough to admit he is a talented young QB.

            I simply dont get carried away like you guys do and am actually waiting for him to accomplish something before I throw out the superlatives I read on here.
            Dude, you're on a Broncos site. Obviously the praise of our QB is going to be a little overblown on our site. I have been to the Dolt board and seen people talking about Rivers as though he is already a lock for the HOF. Do you not understand how this stuff works?

            You talk about accomplishments, well what exactly has Rivers accomplished for so many of you Dolt fans to anoint him the second coming of Joe Montana?

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
              Dude, you're on a Broncos site. Obviously the praise of our QB is going to be a little overblown on our site. I have been to the Dolt board and seen people talking about Rivers as though he is already a lock for the HOF. Do you not understand how this stuff works?

              You talk about accomplishments, well what exactly has Rivers accomplished for so many of you Dolt fans to anoint him the second coming of Joe Montana?
              You make a good point. Some of the guys on our site that wear Charger colored glasses speak of Rivers the same way as some on here of Cutler. Like they are both Peyton Manning, which neither are yet.

              Rivers is a good, Improving QB with great leadership skills. I am not one who calls him Montana.

              His accomplishments... well he led the NFL in passing last year, got completely ripped off from making his 2nd Pro Bowl, and in 3 years as starter has led his team to 3 Division titles and 3 playoff wins so far.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by KeepItReal View Post
                You make a good point. Some of the guys on our site that wear Charger colored glasses speak of Rivers the same way as some on here of Cutler. Like they are both Peyton Manning, which neither are yet.

                Rivers is a good, Improving QB with great leadership skills. I am not one who calls him Montana.

                His accomplishments... well he led the NFL in passing last year, got completely ripped off from making his 2nd Pro Bowl, and in 3 years as starter has led his team to 3 Division titles and 3 playoff wins so far.
                Too bad athos "almost" made it and "shoulda made it" don't count, huh?

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  Too bad athos "almost" made it and "shoulda made it" don't count, huh?
                  Whatever, Rivers could have gone as an alternate to hawaii but elected not to.

                  Cutler made it because the voting ended week 13 before the massive choke job. No way Cutler makes it over Rivers if the voting is concluded at the end of the season where it should be.

                  For the record it should have been Manning, Rivers, Cutler in that order. Favre making it while leading the NFL in interceptions was a complete joke and tribute vote.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by KeepItReal View Post

                    For the record it should have been Manning, Rivers, Cutler in that order. Favre making it while leading the NFL in interceptions was a complete joke and tribute vote.
                    That may be the first time I have ever agreed with you. Rivers is very good. So is Cutler. It will be an awesome rivalry if Denver can pull off a miracle and keep Jay.
                    sigpic


                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by KeepItReal View Post
                      Whatever, Rivers could have gone as an alternate to hawaii but elected not to.

                      Cutler made it because the voting ended week 13 before the massive choke job. No way Cutler makes it over Rivers if the voting is concluded at the end of the season where it should be.

                      For the record it should have been Manning, Rivers, Cutler in that order. Favre making it while leading the NFL in interceptions was a complete joke and tribute vote.
                      Same arguments every year... about one player or another. If Rivers didn't blow the first 13 weeks of the season, then he would have been voted in.. but he did.

                      Same discussion every season about one player making it that shouldn't have, and another that was "robbed"...... every fan base has their complaints.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        Same discussion every season about one player making it that shouldn't have, and another that was "robbed"...... every fan base has their complaints.
                        Stop responding to "best QB" threads until your QB wins playoff game....err...makes a playoff game.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
                          Stop responding to "best QB" threads until your QB wins playoff game....err...makes a playoff game.
                          I don't think anyone has made you a moderator yet, so it isn't your place to tell people what they can and can not post.
                          John 11: 25-27

                          My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                          Thanks Snk16

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
                            Stop responding to "best QB" threads until your QB wins playoff game....err...makes a playoff game.
                            Hey.. here's a comment for "Dumbest post of the week" nomination

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              Hey.. here's a comment for "Dumbest post of the week" nomination
                              QFT
                              John 11: 25-27

                              My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                              Thanks Snk16

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                                Too bad athos "almost" made it and "shoulda made it" don't count, huh?
                                That is exactly the problem with the reviews on Cutler. He is "almost" a winning QB, we should have made the playoffs, and all the losses were exclusively the fault of the defence, who didn't save Cuddles ass at anytime during the season, the running never worked...

                                Cutler has fantastic abilities, but the team does not seem to gel around him, he does not fire them up the way his predecessors did. He could become great, but he vas a substantial part of the performance in the last three games.

                                Defence needs a lot more work than offence. Broncos could have gone to the playoffs if the defence had folded a few less times, and they could have gone to the playoffs if Cutler had chocked a few less times, and if....

                                The fact is that it is a team sport, that people get injured, that the game plans can be carried through. I dont think that anybody blames Cutler exclusively for the 20 losses at his helm but he is part of them as well. The previous 58 games before Cutler came Broncos were at 69% win rate and never lost more than two in a row, after they are at 46% win rate.

                                Cutler looked like a HOF QB in the first many games, but totally folded towards the end. The more footage the competition got on the team the worse the offence looked.

                                I do not hope that they will trade Cutler. Leave him on the bench and he will start to want to regain the spot as starting QB. Best case scenario is that Simms outplays Cutler and keeps him glued to the bench. Simms too has looked very good at times, but also not consistently good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X