Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all those who blame Cutler for 17-20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To all those who blame Cutler for 17-20

    How bad was the Broncos defense during Cutler's two years of starting? How does that defense compare to the Defense that Plummer played with? How about any of the defenses Elway played with? Have other qb's in the league ever succeeded with a Def that bad? I uses this site to answer these questions: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

    The defense during Culer's time as qb was the 28th ranked and 30th ranked defense in the nfl based on points allowed. I chose points allowed because the fundamental job of a defense is to stop people from scoring. Those are the lowest rankings the broncos have had since the merger. Cutler's record is amazing considering how atrocious this defense is.

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    People often say Plummer is better than Cutler because he had a better winning %, but Plummer never played with a defense that wasn't in the top ten.

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    The great John Elway (the best football player of all time regardless of position) only played with a defense ranked lower than 20th in three seasons. How did he fare? I only counted the games Elway started in and didn't look at games where he was injured.

    1988-Denver ppg rank was 20th. Elway was 8-7
    1990 Denver ppg rank was 23rd. Elway was 5-11
    1994 Denver ppg rank was 25th. Elway was 7-7

    When playing with a defense ranked lower than 20- Elway's career record was 20-25. Do you want to call him a loser based on the years when he had the least defensive support?

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    How about Peyton Manning? He had a defense as bad as Denver's in 1991. They were ranked 31st. Peyton's record that year? 6-10.

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    Tom Brady? He has never had a defense nearly as bad as Denvers. The worst defensive rank he has ever played with was the 17th ranked defense (just a shade below average). His record with that defensive rank is 19-16. Very un-Brady like.

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    The great Joe Montana? He had a top 10 defense every year of his career in SF except one. That year Joe went 3-6.

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    Dan Marino? He played with some bad defenses (none were as bad as denver's)
    1986 25th ranked def..... Marino 8-8
    1988 24th renked def......marino 6-10
    1989 22nd ranked def.....Marino 8-8
    1991 24th ranked def.....Marino 8-8
    1993 24th ranked def.....marino 9-7

    DEFENSE MATTERS

    Last year Cutler forced the ball too much. that's true. But when you know that virtually every time you punt, the other team will score.....you tend to force balls on third down instead of just throwing it away. last year Denver was at the bottom of the league in takeaways. Cutler never got the benefit of the momentum changes that takeaways create, let alone the short field that often results.

    NO QB IN THE LEAGUE COULD HAVE DONE BETTER THAN CUTLER THE LAST TWO YEARS!

    Why? DEFENSE MATTERS!
    sigpic



  • #2
    So what?

    There are still plenty of games that Jay Cutler played poorly and did not help his team win.

    Look at the Miami game this past season...the defense actually played fairly well, but Cutler and the offense stunk it up.

    Football is a team game, and Jay Cutler cannot escape blame, and it cannot be placed entirely on the defense.

    Jay Cutler is a gvreat talent, and in time could be a great NFL QB, but he has not yet arrived at that level.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
      How bad was the Broncos defense during Cutler's two years of starting? How does that defense compare to the Defense that Plummer played with? How about any of the defenses Elway played with? Have other qb's in the league ever succeeded with a Def that bad? I uses this site to answer these questions: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

      The defense during Culer's time as qb was the 28th ranked and 30th ranked defense in the nfl based on points allowed. I chose points allowed because the fundamental job of a defense is to stop people from scoring. Those are the lowest rankings the broncos have had since the merger. Cutler's record is amazing considering how atrocious this defense is.

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      People often say Plummer is better than Cutler because he had a better winning %, but Plummer never played with a defense that wasn't in the top ten.

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      The great John Elway (the best football player of all time regardless of position) only played with a defense ranked lower than 20th in three seasons. How did he fare? I only counted the games Elway started in and didn't look at games where he was injured.

      1988-Denver ppg rank was 20th. Elway was 8-7
      1990 Denver ppg rank was 23rd. Elway was 5-11
      1994 Denver ppg rank was 25th. Elway was 7-7

      When playing with a defense ranked lower than 20- Elway's career record was 20-25. Do you want to call him a loser based on the years when he had the least defensive support?

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      How about Peyton Manning? He had a defense as bad as Denver's in 1991. They were ranked 31st. Peyton's record that year? 6-10.

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      Tom Brady? He has never had a defense nearly as bad as Denvers. The worst defensive rank he has ever played with was the 17th ranked defense (just a shade below average). His record with that defensive rank is 19-16. Very un-Brady like.

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      The great Joe Montana? He had a top 10 defense every year of his career in SF except one. That year Joe went 3-6.

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      Dan Marino? He played with some bad defenses (none were as bad as denver's)
      1986 25th ranked def..... Marino 8-8
      1988 24th renked def......marino 6-10
      1989 22nd ranked def.....Marino 8-8
      1991 24th ranked def.....Marino 8-8
      1993 24th ranked def.....marino 9-7

      DEFENSE MATTERS

      Last year Cutler forced the ball too much. that's true. But when you know that virtually every time you punt, the other team will score.....you tend to force balls on third down instead of just throwing it away. last year Denver was at the bottom of the league in takeaways. Cutler never got the benefit of the momentum changes that takeaways create, let alone the short field that often results.

      NO QB IN THE LEAGUE COULD HAVE DONE BETTER THAN CUTLER THE LAST TWO YEARS!

      Why? DEFENSE MATTERS!
      i think you really need to go these threads more often. this has been beaten to death and doesn't explain the prima donna attitude.
      does he get credit for just the wins? is he just 17-0? was he only in the wins?
      you can't excuse him for the record because of the defense. ufortunately qb get win loss records whether they are the reason for it or not.
      he's either 17-20 or 0-0 he can'y be 17-0 and excuse him for the losses.
      Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

      Comment


      • #4
        Not only defense, but check the run games. This is mostly for the PLummer years because Elway did have some years with lesser run games and was ok. Plummer ALWAYS had a top run game though. Consistent, with good backs that people feared in our system. Not cell phone salesman.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MindField View Post

          There are still plenty of games that Jay Cutler played poorly and did not help his team win.
          And Manning had like 5 bad games to start this season. What is your point? EVERY player has multiple bad games a season. Are you saying Jay isn't good for haveing a couple bad games?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MindField View Post
            So what?
            so what? I showed that Hall of Famers dont have good records when you have a bad defense and your response is so what???

            You keep blaming Cutler?

            Your hate has warped your mind.
            sigpic


            Comment


            • #7
              One thing that everyone is forgetting is Special Teams, which again was amongst the worst in the league. That certainly didn't help anyone, Jay included. I think people are being way too harsh on Jay for the record. There's a lot of problems with this team, and Jay isn't one of them. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to go buy a football for dummies book, seriously. But I guess fans of other teams must be retarded, since there are fans of by my last count at least 15 teams who are hoping beyond hope that we are dumb enough to trade Cutler away.
              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MindField View Post
                So what?

                There are still plenty of games that Jay Cutler played poorly and did not help his team win.

                Look at the Miami game this past season...the defense actually played fairly well, but Cutler and the offense stunk it up.

                Football is a team game, and Jay Cutler cannot escape blame, and it cannot be placed entirely on the defense.

                Jay Cutler is a gvreat talent, and in time could be a great NFL QB, but he has not yet arrived at that level.
                People like this would have wanted to get rid of a young John Elway too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bronco_Mike View Post
                  People like this would have wanted to get rid of a young John Elway too.

                  This is a different NFL Elway wasn't expected to win right off the back Today's NFL has a higher demand thats just the way it is.:go:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    McD comes from a place where no one is greater than "team". And I like that. Guys recall back when denver was good i.e. 2000-2005. Who do you remember cheering for. Plummer, Brister, Griese? Or do you remember cheering for Denver...for the broncos. Folks this is who we should be cheering for its Denver. The biggest question is where are all the McD haters and Jay Haters go when this organization makes a decision and has success?

                    The funny thing is I have a feeling that Cutler will stay in Denver. That this situation will start to boil down and the team will move on. I really believe that if McD wanted Cutler gone he'd be gone. Just the fact that he's still trying to make mends with Jay shows me something.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by broncofan015 View Post
                      McD comes from a place where no one is greater than "team". And I like that. Guys recall back when denver was good i.e. 2000-2005. Who do you remember cheering for. Plummer, Brister, Griese? Or do you remember cheering for Denver...for the broncos. Folks this is who we should be cheering for its Denver. The biggest question is where are all the McD haters and Jay Haters go when this organization makes a decision and has success?
                      Have you ever heard about the Patriots fielding calls (not even making them, but just taking them) for Brady? I would say a few guys on the Pats are untradable and this entire theory is bunk. There is no way they take calls for a Brady trade. I don't even care to hear that Cutler isn't Brady. That isn't the point. If noone is above the team, that would include Brady. So keep believing the bull****.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jhns View Post
                        Have you ever heard about the Patriots fielding calls (not even making them, but just taking them) for Brady? I would say a few guys on the Pats are untradable and this entire theory is bunk. There is no way they take calls for a Brady trade. I don't even care to hear that Cutler isn't Brady. That isn't the point. If noone is above the team, that would include Brady. So keep believing the bull****.
                        Sorry good sir, but you missed the point and you need to look at what I said at a different angle. I still stand by what I said and I'll tell you why. If...if Tom Brady started to hurt the patriots franchise in a big way I have no doubt that he'll be traded right then and their, but that's not the case because Brady is happy the franchise is happy and there is no reason to trade him because he is a winner and a leader. If you knew how things are run in NE you'd know its all about TEAM. My post was all about cheering for Denver not Cutler sorry if that eluded your grasp.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by broncofan015 View Post
                          Sorry good sir, but you missed the point and you need to look at what I said at a different angle. I still stand by what I said and I'll tell you why. If...if Tom Brady started to hurt the patriots franchise in a big way I have no doubt that he'll be traded right then and their, but that's not the case because Brady is happy the franchise is happy and there is no reason to trade him because he is a winner and a leader. If you knew how things are run in NE you'd know its all about TEAM. My post was all about cheering for Denver not Cutler sorry if that eluded your grasp.
                          Wait... So Cutler hurt the team before they started fielding calls for him? What exactly did he do? My point is that NE's theory is a bunch of crap. They do put players above the team. Just like EVERY other organization.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
                            i think you really need to go these threads more often. this has been beaten to death and doesn't explain the prima donna attitude.
                            does he get credit for just the wins? is he just 17-0? was he only in the wins?
                            you can't excuse him for the record because of the defense. ufortunately qb get win loss records whether they are the reason for it or not.
                            he's either 17-20 or 0-0 he can'y be 17-0 and excuse him for the losses.
                            And that is a super simplistic way of thinking

                            Aaron Rodgers 6-10
                            Drew Brees 1 career playoff win
                            Carson Palmer 0

                            Vince Young 66% win pct
                            Joe Flacco 2 playoff wins

                            Putting the W-L on one guy's plate is simplifying what is complicated.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jhns View Post
                              Wait... So Cutler hurt the team before they started fielding calls for him? What exactly did he do? My point is that NE's theory is a bunch of crap. They do put players above the team.
                              Cutler was upset when Bates got the axe you knew that.

                              That brings me to another topic that drives me crazy. This notion that "you shoulda hanged up the phone" now lets think about this shall we. Do you hang up on someone when they are for the first time talking to you. I don't know but that seems rude. what I would done is

                              1)listen
                              2)pay attention
                              3) say "well that's an interesting offer but sorry we will stay with our QB" and hang up.
                              :2cents:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X