Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunslinger QB's

Hello sports fans!

In the interests of staying on the Cutler topic, but presenting some new material that HOPEFULLY can bridge some of these massive gaps, communication and otherwise, that suddenly are spreading across Bronco Nation like the Black Plague....I'd like to see if we can all come to some sort of agreement about a term that's been bandied around like a bowl of M&M's at your kid's birthday party.

"Gunslinger" QB's.

First of all...this is NOT your term. Or mine. It's the media's. They invented it a few years back and it's caught on since then. Howard Cosell used the term originally, I believe, but no one else did back then. I call this phenomenon "media think"....but regardless of the origin, the term is here to stay. Let's see if we can define the darn thing to some agreement.

Gunslinger is a term from the wild, wild west. Now I shoot a pistol. A revolver even....but it's not the old Colt western .45 and I'd look like a fool trying to pull it fast from a hip holster. So I believe the term simply "implies" qualities of the so-called gunslinger.

Let's categorize them. Fast....shoots from the hip. Aims for the head or whatever. That would appear to be the range regarding our old western stereotype.

That could describe about every starting QB in the NFL.

Or perhaps the modern media thinkers mean something else entirely. I'm from an era where one QB was constantly allegorically compared to John Wayne, America's quintessential gunslinger.

John Elway.

His nickname was "The Duke". That was the same nickname given to John Wayne and later to Ronald Reagan.

It denoted his Wayne-like swagger and grin, but also the "gunslinger" qualities that seem fairly nebulous.

So using that standard, let's see if we can come up with some football qualities that would belong to a "gunslinger".

Strong arm....a must. The utmost confidence in that arm....another prerequisite. Fires downfield at will, and deep....that makes sense. Perhaps so much confidence that he plays a bit risky at times...I think everyone would agree on that one too.

So those are four qualities that I'm hoping everyone can agree on that belong to a "gunslinger".

???

Now let's make a list. Gunslinger's first. Let me CLARIFY that of course this list will include QB's that have stronger arms than others and other nuances, but attitude (confidence) and the ability to beat you with their arm alone is what sets the gunslinger apart for the sake of this thread.

Gunslinger QB's (in no particular order)

John Elway....Brett Farve.....Dan Marino....Jim Kelly....Drew Bledsoe....Ben Roethlisberger....Peyton Manning.....Tom Brady (a gunslinger who plays in a rigid system offense)....Donovan McNabb....Drew Brees....Kurt Warner.....Warren Moon.....Troy Aikman....Terry Bradshaw.....Dan Fouts.....Fran Tarkenton.....Kenny Stabler.....and Joe Namath.

Jay Cutler belongs on this list of QB's.

Now for the non-gunslingers, or system QB's. The glaring thing you will notice about this list of QB's is that all of them have two things in common. Rather comparitively weak arms, and they all won when plugged into a team of All-Stars, most especially defense.

Non-Gunslinger QB's

Joe Montana....Roger Staubach....Johhny Unitas.....Lenny Dawson......Bart Starr.....Joe Theisman....Phil Simms....Matt Hasselbeck.....Eli Manning.....Phyllis Rivers.....and Jake Delhomme.

Obviously Cutler does NOT belong on this list.

Before I close, let me add that I'm SURE I've left a few QB's out of both lists. Feel free to add to them, if you like.

Both list's have advantages and weaknesses, and QB's from both lists won Superbowls. However, it's only fair to note that the QB's from the Gunslinger list were able to accomplish much more with less All-Star's at other positions than the system QB's were able to.

It boils down to your own personal philosophy. QB's run the game in my opinion, and I coached sucessfully at a very small level a long, long time ago. Most coaches, however, disagree, and prefer the system QB since they can control his behavior better on the field.

But to me....football is still a game and there is one guy who runs the whole sheebang.

The QB.

Give me the Gunslinger any day.

See you at sundown, pardner. ;-)

:cutler:

In my mind, the definition of a "gunslinger" quarterback would be the antithesis of a "system" quarterback.

I think you've made some good assertions, but some I would not categorize as gunslingers that you have are:

Dan Marino
    Jim Kelly
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Kurt Warner
    Troy Aikman

Warner and Aikman especially strike me as the antithesis of a "gunslinger."

These are quarterbacks that under pressure will not be able to scramble as well and survive, to prolong the play and find the receiver most people don't even see on the field.

One I think you missed was Steve Young.

I think mobility and improvisation go a long way to earning that gunslinger title as opposed to a system title.

And yeah, some people called John Elway "The Duke" for a while. It wasn't anyone here in Denver though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      In my mind, the definition of a "gunslinger" quarterback would be the antithesis of a "system" quarterback.

I think you've made some good assertions, but some I would not categorize as gunslingers that you have are:

Dan Marino
      Jim Kelly
      Tom Brady
      Drew Brees
      Kurt Warner
      Troy Aikman

Warner and Aikman especially strike me as the antithesis of a "gunslinger."

These are quarterbacks that under pressure will not be able to scramble as well and survive, to prolong the play and find the receiver most people don't even see on the field.

One I think you missed was Steve Young.

I think mobility and improvisation go a long way to earning that gunslinger title as opposed to a system title.

And yeah, some people called John Elway "The Duke" for a while. It wasn't anyone here in Denver though.

I believe your standard is too narrow. And I never even think about scrambling as an ability that defines a "gunslinger". The "gun" portion of the adjective is relative to the QB's arm and not his legs. Strong arms and the attitude to use them are what I believe the term means. The only real weak arm on my list would belong to Fran Tarkenton, and he ran around mainly because of his height. Couldn't see much in the pocket.

I also missed Bob Greise on the System QB list...lol.

Everyone's a critic.

Comment

Rex Grossman is the prototypical gunslinger in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
          Rex Grossman is the prototypical gunslinger in my eyes.
          .....I can see clearly where he would be.

Comment

How is Romo not on your gunslinger list? He is regarded as THE current gunslinger. He, Cutler and Breese are the only three current players I would have on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
              I believe your standard is too narrow. And I never even think about scrambling as an ability that defines a "gunslinger". The "gun" portion of the adjective is relative to the QB's arm and not his legs. Strong arms and the attitude to use them are what I believe the term means. The only real weak arm on my list would belong to Fran Tarkenton, and he ran around mainly because of his height. Couldn't see much in the pocket.

I also missed Bob Greise on the System QB list...lol.

Everyone's a critic.

Manning and Marino are gunslingers? Nice redifinition of the term. Despite what you believe, it also implies recklessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilrush View Post
                Manning and Marino are gunslingers? Nice redifinition of the term. Despite what you believe, it also implies recklessness.
                I am certain that I covered your point in point #4 in my original post. Sorry you missed it.

Is it just me, or did a well thought out blog just get flamed by a bunch of overly sensitive Bronco fans?

LOL!!! You guys are really getting obvious, you must realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbronco85 View Post
                  How is Romo not on your gunslinger list? He is regarded as THE current gunslinger. He, Cutler and Breese are the only three current players I would have on that list.
                  I do not consider Tony Romo to be any sort of franchise QB.....at all.

Comment

I do not consider Tony Romo to be any sort of franchise QB.....at all.
                    With all due respect, that's just dumb. I love Cutler, but in almost a season less play time, he has almost 30 more TDs and a much higher winning percentage than Jay.

Comment

I think gunslinger is more an attitude than a physical attribute. One who so sure of his talent he takes risks regardless of the odds.

Comment

i think your definition of a gunslinger is slightly off, at least based on your list. the nfl isn't catagorized into the gun slingers and non gunslingers, most of the QBs in the league don't fit that discription.

for me a gunslinger simply means high TD numbers, high INT numbers. brett farve is considered the protypical gunslinger because he holds the record in both. tom brady and peyton manning don't fit the catagory; they are just simply good QBs with ridicolous passer ratings (something a gunslinger doesn't usual have imo; see john elway). but i do agree being a gunslinger is a good thing because from my understanding, they would be the ones you look for to deliver a team when the oline is crumbling and defense is obsolete.
                        disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

I am certain that I covered your point in point #4 in my original post. Sorry you missed it.

Is it just me, or did a well thought out blog just get flamed by a bunch of overly sensitive Bronco fans?

LOL!!! You guys are really getting obvious, you must realize this.

Umm... You did ask for people to help define gunslinger and that's what they're doing.
                          sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Interesting discussion.

One of the posters summed up how I would define a gunslinger. High TD and High Int rate.

The gunslinger is the guy who scares the hell out of you (whether you are rooting for him or not), but he is also the guy you want in place when you need something crazy to happen (Brett Favre anyone?).

I've seen the various lists posted above and some are good. I would submit that gunslingers are a product of what they've done as much as how they approach the game. In other words, you'd have to win crazy (a few times) when it mattered to get that label.

Looking at three of your big names over Bronco history--Elway, Plummer and Cutlet.

All three have (had) the confidence, the arm and the approach to the game consistent with what I'd call a gunslinger. But only Elway backed it up. Plummer was about as gunslinger as they come, but he never won big. Cutler brings a raw approach to the game as well, but again, he hasn't lived up to his potential yet.

The Bolts? Rivers is not a gunslinger for a number of reasons. Fouts was though.

The big difference between a gunslinger and a poor decision maker is his level of success.
                            Last edited by Go_Bolts04; 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I'd take either, I prefer the Gunslinger type because that is what I grew up watching, but there are a lot of QB's that aren't huge risk takers that could play for me.

Aikman or Dan Marino, makes no difference to me, but you've seen what a Gunslinger can do when he's put in a great system in John Elway in Shanahan's system.

It's the Game Managers that I can't stand.

Btw, we're talking about all-time greats here, your average system QB's are a dime-o-dozen, but even Grossman played well enough to help his team to a SB.......

Comment

Working...
                              X