Gunslinger QB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post

Back to the OP intentions, The more I think of Manning the more I see the gunslinger in him. His need to constantly do things his way, by hot routing or audible out on plays, telling the coaches that he isnt coming off the field and they are gonna go for it on 4th down. He is the thinking mans gunslinger, the Doc Holliday of the NFL. Brady is and will always be to me just another system QB, but my hats off to him for what they have been able to do.
    I don't see Peyton as a gunslinger. I admire him more than any other QB playing now, but being intellectual and changing plays is just smart ball. The big difference between him and Farve, for example, is that he rarely tries to force the ball based on his firm belief in his arm strength. He generally tends to make the right calls which give him the best opportunity for success.

Comment

• The next gunslinger in the NFL just turned 21. lol Even if he sits for 2 seasons he will only be 23.

That is the one thing I like about him. If he gets on the right team and sits for a season or 2 and learns, he could potentially put up killer #'s by the time he retires(assuming he does well).

Comment

• How is Aikman considered a 'gunslinger' by anyone?

Comment

If one good year is what you want to judge Rivers to Cutler by, then I challenge you to prove me why Cutler is not the better of the 2 right now. He has a better 1st full year starting, he only improves onto the next to carry his team to a better placed offense. Comparing only the 2 QB's and the positions they were put in, please tell me how you came up with this idea.
          Today, in the here-and-now, Rivers is better than Cutler, on the field and off. Cutler certainly has the tools to be a better QB, if he can get his head into it and let it become more about the game and the team and less about him. I fully admit that I could be wrong here, but my gut tells me that Cutler's personality is such that he will never realize his full potential whereas Rivers will more fully realize his less-impressive physical potential.

Cutler needs a good coach who can handle him and push him. Whomever posted about Holmgren had it right.

Do you actually watch the colts or just espns idea of what happens? Peyton Manning has told his OC and his HC where to go when he wants to. If he wants to go for it on 4th dare them to say something to get him off he field. It doesnt happen. Excuse me, once he has been pulled compared to the times you need two hands to count on. He is a risk taker and reckless when he wants but he thinks out his maddness which is alot more than other gunslingers do.

Brady doesnt think much, just read and react. System QB at its best.
          Peyton has the fire of a gunslinger, sure. But I still say he makes smart decisions. With the game on the line and time running short, a Favre will almost always go for the bomb and trust his arm to thread the defenders. Peyton might look at the bomb, but seeing someone underneath who offers a better chance at success, he will take that. I just don't see him as reckless.

27 TD's and 12 interceptions shows a little better decision-making process to me than Farve's 22 TD's and 22 interceptions. (But boy, Farve is sure fun to watch!)
          Last edited by bonobo; 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChargersDivison View Post
            Actually Cutler's INT's went up comp % went down, QB rating went down and believe avg went down this year from last year.

Rivers yds, avg, tds, QB rating, comp % all went up and ints went down this year. With less of a running game than 07, a worse defense than 07, worse o-line than in 07.

So no Rivers has improved, while Cutler took a step back. You can look at 25 tds and 4500 yds, but he also had 616 attempts.

Rivers first year starting had a 92 QB rating, better than any season Cutler has had yet.

So really I see no argument for Cutler over Rivers, other than being a Broncos fan. IMHO it's not even as close as alot of people suggest. Not saying Cutler sucks by any means. But he's not on the same tier Rivers is.

Peyton has told his HC 2 times in his career, to get ST's off the field on 4th down. That's not a gunslinger, that's just a offensive general, making the call. A proven veteran with some say.
            If anything Rivers got worse in 2007 and better in 08, he hasnt been steadily increasing as you would like to believe. If only QB rating is what the NFL judges QB's by. That is where Rivers makes his money so he should stick to what he knows best. 616 attempts is the big sign that something went wrong in Denver other than the QB. If you can honestly sit here and tell me that Cutlers 1st full year was better than his 2nd year you are only kidding yourself, you would be hard pressed to find someone who believes that.

Rivers is surrounded by talent and a good defense, yeah it lacked last season but welcome to the AFC west. That talent has fluffed Rivers numbers way more than they should be, Sproles alone should have a highlight real for what he did for Rivers. Dont make it sound like Rivers is surrounded by average joes and performs like a god. Its bs and you and me both know it, you are just blinded by your own teams biased to not see past it.

You obviously have no clue who Doc Holliday is but telling your coach that you are going to do something when he wants something else is reckless, he could easily cost his team field position and put them in bad spots. I never said he was your prototypical gunslinger but he at least in my book fits.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonobo View Post
              Today, in the here-and-now, Rivers is better than Cutler, on the field and off. Cutler certainly has the tools to be a better QB, if he can get his head into it and let it become more about the game and the team and less about him. I fully admit that I could be wrong here, but my gut tells me that Cutler's personality is such that he will never realize his full potential whereas Rivers will more fully realize his less-impressive physical potential.

Cutler needs a good coach who can handle him and push him. Whomever posted about Holmgren had it right.

Peyton has the fire of a gunslinger, sure. But I still say he makes smart decisions. With the game on the line and time running short, a Favre will almost always go for the bomb and trust his arm to thread the defenders. Peyton might look at the bomb, but seeing someone underneath who offers a better chance at success, he will take that. I just don't see him as reckless.

27 TD's and 12 interceptions shows a little better decision-making process to me than Farve's 22 TD's and 22 interceptions. (But boy, Farve is sure fun to watch!)
              I dont see Rivers any better than Cutler or Cutler any better than Rivers. Just merely two QB's who have alot to prove to some very impatient fans. I dont know if you missed an earlier post but I dont believe peyton fits the bill of a gunslinger 100% but compared to cowboys of the west he has his place.

Comment

Rivers is surrounded by talent and a good defense, yeah it lacked last season but welcome to the AFC west. That talent has fluffed Rivers numbers way more than they should be, Sproles alone should have a highlight real for what he did for Rivers. Dont make it sound like Rivers is surrounded by average joes and performs like a god. Its bs and you and me both know it, you are just blinded by your own teams biased to not see past it.
                Rivers got some good stats with safe passes to Sproles who got wicked YAC. He averaged almost 12 yards per catch, which isn't earthshattering, but they are mostly on pretty safe passes.

But our defense was not as good as you make it sound out to be. Our defense just could not get off the field, for the most part. When an opposing team is on the field for 10 minutes to start the second half, that is just not good. I may be wrong, but I think I heard on tv that the Chargers consistently had the fewest offensive plays of any team in the NFL.

Comment

I dont know if you missed an earlier post but I dont believe peyton fits the bill of a gunslinger 100% but compared to cowboys of the west he has his place.
                  Point accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                    Cutler is the opposite of "very consistent".

One game he forces throws and throws three picks, the next he's insane and has 3 TD's and 400 yards. Cutler is a younger Tony Romo..
                    L2read within the context Cutler has never came out and cost us the game since he has started his first full season. He has made some bad throws yeah but never has he taken a step back and been a completely different QB like Romo, like Grossman. Both Romo and Grossman have very good on games and games that are hard to see why they were even playing. Romo has finished games with a rating of 22 and 34 and that bills game seems impossible that he finishes with a 42 after throwing 5! picks.

My point was not that Cutler was a consistent QB as far as his ability on the field but that he is is consistent in the way his games are played. (dont know if that makes any sense). With Cutler we can be almost assured what is going to happen. He is gonna throw a pick, he is gonna put up yards, make some crazy throws, and rarely is the one we ever point the figure at saying he cost us the game. There were a few games last season but that was after watching our defense get beat up.

Cutler is far from a young Romo. When Romo feels pressure it costs him the game. When Cutler feels it, he has shown he can win the game. I dont remember watching cutler go from a 114 qb rating to a 49 to 121 to a 10. That is inconsistent and Cutler is far from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonobo View Post
                      Rivers got some good stats with safe passes to Sproles who got wicked YAC. He averaged almost 12 yards per catch, which isn't earthshattering, but they are mostly on pretty safe passes.

But our defense was not as good as you make it sound out to be. Our defense just could not get off the field, for the most part. When an opposing team is on the field for 10 minutes to start the second half, that is just not good. I may be wrong, but I think I heard on tv that the Chargers consistently had the fewest offensive plays of any team in the NFL.
                      Surprisingly your pass defense was worse than ours, and that is where the similarities end. 15th in points allowed, 11th in rush yds against, If Denver could have been 15th instead of 30th in points allowed you would see a different team representing the AFC west.

Last year was a bad year for your defense and I admit that, but you still were light years ahead of us where it matters the most. Those passes to sproles OMG, I watched a safe pass turn into 6 more times than I want to remember. When you guys get the ball you put up numbers, why people forget vincent jackson is wide up is beyond me.

Comment

Surprisingly your pass defense was worse than ours, and that is where the similarities end. 15th in points allowed, 11th in rush yds against, If Denver could have been 15th instead of 30th in points allowed you would see a different team representing the AFC west.

Last year was a bad year for your defense and I admit that, but you still were light years ahead of us where it matters the most. Those passes to sproles OMG, I watched a safe pass turn into 6 more times than I want to remember. When you guys get the ball you put up numbers, why people forget vincent jackson is wide up is beyond me.
                        Yes, our defense was able keep many red zone drives at 3 points, which was their saving grace.

Someone else posted that Cutler has that "it might be now" quality, that at any second, the big one was coming. Well, Sproles is our "it might be now" guy. I love watching his every touch. I have always been a Sproles fan, and to think, we almost cut him. Why the coaching staff waited so late in the season to really use him is beyond me.

Everyone focuses on Gates. So they tend to ignore Jackson. I rarely see him double-teamed.

Comment

• Gunslinger=Mudslinger-what difference does it make.Useless thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X