Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expanded Regular Season (18 games proposal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded Regular Season (18 games proposal)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

DANA POINT, Calif. -- More games that count, perhaps as early as August 2011? That's exactly what NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants.

There are several hurdles before the league can expand its regular season from 16 to 17 or 18 games. Among them is reaching a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.

Still, Goodell hopes to present a proposal to the owners in May after the matter was discussed at length this week at the NFL Annual Meeting.

"It's possible that we could vote in May, but we want to have core discussions on this," Goodell said Wednesday. "Anytime you have change, there is some reluctance. But it's clear we don't need four preseason games anymore."

Goodell said the league hasn't seriously discussed the subject of a longer regular season with its broadcast partners. He couldn't imagine them not being interested in more meaningful games.

"I think the quality of NFL programming, that every one of our network partners would say, if they have the chance to have more regular-season programming, they'd be interested in it," Goodell said. "A key point is the fans also recognize players they want to see are not in those preseason games; that's why they are not attractive. They want to see those players play."

As for those players and their union, Goodell recognizes an expanded schedule will be part of CBA negotiations. Owners opted out of the current deal last year, and it expires after the 2010 schedule, which would be an uncapped season.

"Under the current agreement, additional regular-season games would not be covered," Goodell said. "I think our most important priority after we get done with our internal analysis is talking to our key partners, and that includes the players. I think we want to make sure that the right dialogue takes place before we make any final votes."

DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA's incoming executive director, wants any decision that affects the players to happen collaboratively.

"His hope is that the concerns and interests of the players will be seriously considered," said George Atallah, a director at the public relations firm Qorvis Communications and a spokesman for Smith during his transition. "He was elected by the players to be their advocate on such issues and is more than ready to serve them."

Among the issues that team owners must discuss is when the regular season would begin; how many bye weeks would be scheduled, how deep into February the playoffs and Super Bowl would go, and when the offseason programs -- including the combine and the draft -- would be held.

Plus, where would the extra games be played, particularly with 17 of them?

One possibility, an idea that Goodell and senior vice president of sales and marketing Mark Waller first mentioned several years ago, would be 17 neutral-site games, including some aboard. That would enable the league to step up its efforts internationally, a particular goal of Goodell's.

"There's been some discussion about that," Goodell said. "That's been one of the appealing features of converting preseason games into regular-season games is it gives you more inventory, more games that you can take to neutral sites, either internationally or domestically. So that is a compelling feature."

Another option would be having one conference play nine home games during a season, and the other conference do so the next year.

An 18-game schedule, obviously, would eliminate such concerns. It also would mean dropping two preseason contests.

"Fans don't believe preseason games are up to our standards," Goodell said.

Clearly, neither does he.
    What are your thoughts? I think it is a good idea. It could work if they limit the preseason to 2 games. The players would still play 20 games, but there will be 2 more meaningful games.
    sigpic

Yeah, then all the backups can play in the superbowl because all the other players will be injured.
    sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Two more real games means a bunch more $$$ for the league. I imagine this will happen.

Or at least, I imagine the owners really want this to happen.
      sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by I Hate SD Alot View Post
        Yeah, then all the backups can play in the superbowl because all the other players will be injured.
        Oh no....poor babies........they have to play two extra games......I bet they wish they could get paid for those extra ones!!

Just cut the preseason games to 2....they are a waste anyway.

Comment

As fans, we should like it. Strategically, I'm not quite sure. Might change the way the game is played, but I think it's going to be a plus. Most sports analysts hate it from what I've heard.

Comment

i hated it when they expanded to 16 and i'd hate it if they expand to 18

it destroys all the records already in the books....2000 yard rushing and 5000 yards passing will occur every year..i don;t know, i just hate that stuff

Comment

The preseason is too long as it is; if they do this they will simply replace two of the preseason games with regular season games. If players are going to get hurt anyway, I'd rather see it happen during a game that actually means something; I get really infuriated when guys get hurt playing in meaningless "exhibition" games.

I like this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                i hated it when they expanded to 16 and i'd hate it if they expand to 18

it destroys all the records already in the books....2000 yard rushing and 5000 yards passing will occur every year..i don;t know, i just hate that stuff
                You know you have a good point there. I think 16 is fine. The preseason should be cut by 2 games regardles. I know it gives coaches a chance to see the "bubble" players in action but it just seems to much to me.

Its like the Moss TD rec. record. He got it in 16 games. Rice did it in twelve. Not to take anything away from Randy but Jerry's season was much more impressive imho.

Comment

There will inevitably be more injuries in a 17 or 18 game season. I wonder if they'd expand the roster size to account for this.

Comment

I guess i would not mind it.I hate it when players get injured but it is part of the game.If it has to happen than at least have it mean something.Nothing worse than losing a player in a preseason game imo .

Comment

In an 18 game season I would imagine the starters would get limited time playing in an attempt to keep them fresh for the whole season. This would allow second team players a better opportunity to prove themselves in real game situations. If they add the two games I would think the league would allow higher rosters making it more acceptable to the players union. Also, higher rosters would compensate for the two preseason games missed.

The downside is that the "star" players may play less thereby hurting some egos. Fans too might be disappointed because the fun of live games is to see those "star" players do their "magic" - even if they're on the opposing team!

All-in-all I'm for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                        http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

What are your thoughts? I think it is a good idea. It could work if they limit the preseason to 2 games. The players would still play 20 games, but there will be 2 more meaningful games.
                        I think it will be great for the fans. There's no such a thing as too much football
                        Now, the question will be if with this, an 'x' number of players will be added to the active roster. More games mean more wear and tear. Teams would want to keep their players fresh in 18-game season, I'm sure...
                        sigpic
                        I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

I think this idea sucks. Its going to re-write the record books and fill it full of *'s.

Leave it alone, 16 games is fine. Personally, I think there's at least one too many preseason games, as well.
                          sigpic

TZ

Comment

Originally posted by mbu View Post
                            In an 18 game season I would imagine the starters would get limited time playing in an attempt to keep them fresh for the whole season. This would allow second team players a better opportunity to prove themselves in real game situations. If they add the two games I would think the league would allow higher rosters making it more acceptable to the players union. Also, higher rosters would compensate for the two preseason games missed.

The downside is that the "star" players may play less thereby hurting some egos. Fans too might be disappointed because the fun of live games is to see those "star" players do their "magic" - even if they're on the opposing team!

All-in-all I'm for it!
                            You just read my mind!
                            I'm all for it if the salary cap goes up and the roster expands by 10 players or so. It might make it more of a team sport.
                            Science Bless

Comment

Originally posted by combo-breaker View Post
                              You just read my mind!
                              I'm all for it if the salary cap goes up and the roster expands by 10 players or so. It might make it more of a team sport.
                              The salary cap is going to disappear next year.
                              sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Working...
                              X