• Chad Mustard RETIRES??

I didnt see this posted and sorry if its a repost

http://www.denverpost.com/sportshead...688?source=rss

MIKE KLIS
    Klis: Wedge-busting rule change vital
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 03/29/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

With greater ferocity than Spencer Larsen running at full speed with complete disregard for his well-being, the NFL has busted up the wedge.

No more can kickoff return teams form a three-or-more-man blocking wedge in front of the returner. Outlawing the tactic may cripple the job security of players like Chad Mustard. But it's better than leaving Mustard crippled.

"I think it's a great move for the health of the players," said Mustard, who played the past three seasons, off and on, with the Broncos. "I can tell you I needed a shoulder surgery because of it. And I've had multiple times when I was dinged in the head. I don't think I ever officially had a concussion, but I've been knocked silly numerous times."

It's not the wedge itself that causes some of the most dramatic, and traumatic, hits in an NFL game. It was the kamikaze-like blasts a designated kickoff coverage player will utilize to bust up the wedge.

"Think about it, I'm running 20 yards at some guy and he just ran 40 at me," Mustard said. "There's going to be a huge collision."

Larsen was the Broncos' top wedge-buster last season. Before him, it was often Patrick Chukwurah who self-sacrificed his limbs, shoulders, joints and every muscle for the sake of preventing the Darren Sproles of the league from hiding behind a human wall until it was time to break.

Mustard can't remember playing a game when he wasn't part of a wedge.

"They could have listed my position as 'wedge,' " said Mustard, who otherwise was labeled as a tight end.

Coincidentally, Mustard has retired from football, anyway. He has accepted a position as math teacher and varsity boys basketball assistant coach at Bellevue West High School outside Omaha.

An All-American basketball player at North Dakota, Mustard played college football as an afterthought. It worked out.

He thinks NFL return teams will now use two pairs of two-man blocking formations. Still, the separation should be just enough to dial down the wedge-busters to a more controlled speed.

"I wish they would have passed this rule five years ago," Mustard said.

Spoof on Singletary.

I could come up with 10 reasons why I prefer Letterman to Leno. And there are just as many reasons to like San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary. But I don't like the Letterman parody on Singletary for one reason — it isn't funny.

"I'm still trying to figure it out," Singletary said Wednesday at the NFC coaches breakfast. "I don't know if he hates me or if he likes me. He's said he's supposed to be a fan. It would be really interesting to see because I have no idea what that's all about. Maybe one day I'll see him."

Singletary may have an eccentric nerve that can be twitched at the drop of his pants, but he also comes across as extremely intelligent. Name an intelligent person who isn't a tad eccentric. The problem with the Letterman spoof is it portrays Singletary as unintelligent. It misses.

Then again, imitation, even if poorly executed, is said to be flattering.

"I don't know if flattering is the word," Singletary said.

Not giving thanks.

Not everyone is thrilled about the Broncos' first Thanksgiving home game in 46 years. The Tuna Golf Association, a group crammed with local dignitaries and celebrities that puts on the area's highest-profile turkey bowl game each year, is seeking an immediate injunction against the Broncos. The group's legal brain trust accuses the Broncos-New York Giants game of "infringing upon the exclusivity, proprietary rights, and sanctity of the Tuna Turkey Bowl."

New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin was in a less humorous mood about playing the holiday game in Denver.

"The way you deal with the schedule is — you may close the door and have some thoughts about it, but openly, you play with the schedule as it's designed," Coughlin said. "And within that schedule you hope there's equality in terms of every team has those kinds of weeks. You would hope everybody would have back-to-back tough games on the road, things like that.

"Hopefully, we'll play at home the Sunday before (Thanksgiving) and then we get into this thing as fast as we can because, quite frankly, there is not a whole lot of practice going into that week. There's not enough time."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or [email protected]

Wow!

Why haven't we heard about that before this?

I think he set the record for most releases/signings with one team in a span of two years.

CP to anyone who can figure out the actual # of times he was cut and the # of times he was signed....
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

All the stress that comes with going to work every day not knowing if you are still an employee leads to early aging.

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
        Wow!

Why haven't we heard about that before this?

I think he set the record for most releases/signings with one team in a span of two years.

CP to anyone who can figure out the actual # of times he was cut and the # of times he was signed....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10740645

Case of job insecurity

Since joining the Cleveland Browns for the 2002 season, Mustard has played 41 NFL regular-season games, caught 12 passes, been waived nine times by three different teams, and learned not to take any of it personally. Not even the four times the Broncos have told him: Hey, about that playbook . . .
        Cutting Mustard

Broncos tight end Chad Mustard has been in and out of the NFL more often than any other player on the team. In a six-week stretch in 2007, he was waived and signed from the Broncos' roster four times. A look at his career transactions:

With arena ball

2002: Played for the Omaha Beef of the National Indoor Football League, starting 13 games after going undrafted out of North Dakota.

With Cleveland

Dec. 3, 2002: Signed to practice squad.

Jan. 8, 2003: Signed to a future contract.

Aug. 31, 2003: Waived.

Oct. 1, 2003: Signed to practice squad.

Oct. 11, 2003: Signed to active roster.

Nov. 4, 2003: Waived.

Nov. 6, 2003: Signed to practice squad.

Sept. 5, 2004: Waived.

Sept. 21, 2004: Signed.

Nov. 17, 2004: Placed on injured reserve (left foot).

Feb. 22, 2005: Waived.

With Carolina

Aug. 11, 2005: Signed.

Aug. 29, 2005: Waived.

With Broncos

Jan. 3, 2006: Signed to a future contract.

Sept. 1, 2007: Waived.

Sept. 8, 2007: Signed.

Sept. 11, 2007: Waived.

Sept. 15, 2007: Signed.

Sept. 17, 2007: Waived.

Oct. 18, 2007: Signed.

Aug. 30, 2008: Waived.

Oct. 6, 2008: Signed.

Comment

Money?

Originally posted by Hardbodyaz View Post
          http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10740645

Case of job insecurity

Since joining the Cleveland Browns for the 2002 season, Mustard has played 41 NFL regular-season games, caught 12 passes, been waived nine times by three different teams, and learned not to take any of it personally. Not even the four times the Broncos have told him: Hey, about that playbook . . .
          Cutting Mustard

Broncos tight end Chad Mustard has been in and out of the NFL more often than any other player on the team. In a six-week stretch in 2007, he was waived and signed from the Broncos' roster four times. A look at his career transactions:

With arena ball

2002: Played for the Omaha Beef of the National Indoor Football League, starting 13 games after going undrafted out of North Dakota.

With Cleveland

With Carolina

With Broncos

Does a guy like Chad Mustard make any decent money? Like a couple hundred grand a year or so? I'm not sure how this works... anyone?
          Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

With Cleveland

With Carolina

With Broncos

That's incredible.

Thanks!
            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pratama View Post
              Does a guy like Chad Mustard make any decent money? Like a couple hundred grand a year or so? I'm not sure how this works... anyone?
              Found this...

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/chad.mu....2.870015.html

Instead of $140 a day substitute jobs, he'll earn a weekly paycheck of about $36,500 with the Broncos.

WOW A WEEK??? Id be anyones punching bag for $36,500 a week!!!

Comment

I think they should get paid around a million and multi millions and wear flags around their waist ....

Not to go overboard with the my above post...Many reasons why someone could fall in love with the game....The chest match etc....One of the many reasons that fans love the game is the battle side and the brutality of the sport....

I cant complain about the NFL adding,changing rules to protect the players from senseless injury.....

However will I ever feel sorry for the NFL player that says .....

Mustard: I can tell you I needed a shoulder surgery because of it. And I've had multiple times when I was dinged in the head. I don't think I ever officially had a concussion, but I've been knocked silly numerous times."
                :nono:

Honestly does he need a tissue ?

Also can anyone explain this part of the article to me ?

Singletary may have an eccentric nerve that can be twitched at the drop of his pants,
                Last edited by LarryDean; 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM.
                :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Enjoy retirement Chad. He was a good player so sign when we were in a pinch, but with Shanny gone, it was pretty much the end of his career unless Shanny found a team this year.
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Now what am I gonna do with my Chad Mustard jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Supporter of COLORADO sports teams. :

Comment

Chad Mustard Retires From NFL To Teach Math

Former Broncos TE Chad Mustard has retired from football.

Though he was listed as a tight end, Mustard's main role was to maintain wedges on the kickoff return team. He blames a slew of injuries on that job, which will be less prevalent due to new rules against three-man wedges. Mustard, 31, has taken a job as a high school math teacher in Omaha.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL
                      Now go get your shine box

Comment

Mustard actually would teach math whenever he was out of a job long enough. It seems he's just making it permanent.

With the healthy amount of gamechecks he's made I have no doubt he's just living off of that and putting every penny from teaching into a savings. Having summers if has got to be pretty badass as well since he sounds like the kind of guy who didn't waist what he earned.

Comment

you figure he'd have to be pretty darn good at math after all the contracts we've signed him to..

but thanks for your services and heres to a good life
                          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

I'm happy for Chad.

I dont want to think how many times the Broncos have cut Mustard, only to re-sign, only cut him again.

Teaching is a challenging profession. I'm glad he got to walk away from football healthy.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                            -Sean Payton

Comment

Good luck Chad and thanks for the years that you spent here.

Kyle Orton Army #24sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X