Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the fans who followed the Broncos in the 80's..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the fans who followed the Broncos in the 80's..

If we had a clone of a 3rd year John Elway as our quarterback in 2008, would we have made the playoffs?

Just curious. I thought I would throw out a change of pace thread. :salute!:

i don't think very many quarter backs can win with our defense last year
    Team Tebow Member #14

Comment

I love John, but I dont think any qb would have got us to the playoffs last year.

When John played with a defense ranked 20 or lower, he never made the playoffs and he had a losing record ( over 5 seasons).

Our defense was 30th last year. By all rights we should have gone 3-13. We must have had a pretty good qb.
      sigpic

Comment

This seems too easy. But Elway led Denver to the SB in his 3rd year as a starter, 1986. He also had a far superior defense, but not nearly as much offensive talent. So if you mean the 1986 Elway, yes.

Now, if you mean 1985, Denver went 11-5 if I remember and missed the playoffs (like the Pats this year). Again the D was light years ahead of Cutlers D from this year. But then again, the offensive talent wasnt as good as the 86 squad.

Thats a toughie. I think it is obvious even a little better D would have resulted in at least 1 more win this year and helped us make the playoffs. I dont know if Elway would have made a differece. I also sont know if more than 2 players from last years squad would start on D for the 85 squad.

Comment

By all rights we should have been a below .500 team last year. I don't think that even John could have got us to the playoffs and I watched him in some very tight games over his career especially in the 80's. just my honest opinion.

:go:
          Kyle Orton Army #24sigpic

Comment

if 86 elway had qb'd this team last year there would be all kinds of threads saying he's immature, he tires to force the ball too often relying on his rocket arm too much

does anybody remember if elway mentioned to the media about having a better arm than craig morton?

Comment

Obviously it's impossible to know for sure. But I'd say it's unlikely even Elway would have put last year's Broncos into the playoffs. As previously mentioned, our defense was the main reason for our missing out and Elway couldn't have done anything about that.

Elway was a great QB but too many people think he was perfect and forget that he was actually mortal. He did lose games and he did miss the playoffs. Or, more accurately, his TEAMS lost games and misssed the playoffs.

In the end, it is and always will be a TEAM sport and no single player, not even a quarterback, will win games by himself. He still needs players to catch the ball, to run the ball, and to play defense and special teams. And I don't care who was at QB last year, the TEAM wasn't playoff-worthy. The only reason it's even a discussion is because our division royally sucked.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

This is a change of pace thread? One that, AGAIN, asks if we would have made the playoffs with another QB? I would say this stays on par with the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  This is a change of pace thread? One that, AGAIN, asks if we would have made the playoffs with another QB? I would say this stays on par with the rest.
                  Ravage don't be mean :nono:
                  There are worse threads than this.

My opinion...
                  Making the playoffs last season would have meant winning ONE more game. So 1986 Elway winning one more game than 2008 Cutler, I'll give it to him.
                  HOWEVER, Future-Elway the Time-Traveler and his 2008 Broncos would have been stomped on Wild-Card weekend - No Defense, No Running game - hard to win an AFC Playoff game with that.

Comment

I vote yes, Elway would have lead the Broncos to the playoffs. To me that is why he is in the pro football hall of fame and considered by many to be one of the great QBs in pro football history. No disrespect to Cutler, but he still has a long way to go to be compared to Elway. Elway's ability to take an out gunned team and will them to victory is legendary imo. The biggest difference I see is in his scrambling ability and how he would get those first downs on 3rd and long out of nowhere right when he was about to be sacked. I don't see that level of determination in Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by sendacash View Post
                      I vote yes, Elway would have lead the Broncos to the playoffs. To me that is why he is in the pro football hall of fame and considered by many to be one of the great QBs in pro football history. No disrespect to Cutler, but he still has a long way to go to be compared to Elway. Elway's ability to take an out gunned team and will them to victory is legendary imo. The biggest difference I see is in his scrambling ability and how he would get those first downs on 3rd and long out of nowhere right when he was about to be sacked. I don't see that level of determination in Cutler.
                      wow couldn't have said it better myself.
                      Albert

Comment

My guess would be no. Probably less than half way into the season he would give into the media hype of being a clone and end up living on a boat house somewhere in Mexico drinking too much Tequila and sleeping with cheap mexican hookers while his backup, Darrell Hackney, would be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                          If we had a clone of a 3rd year John Elway as our quarterback in 2008, would we have made the playoffs?

Jesus Christ himself couldn't have QB'd us to a playoff berth this past season. Our defense was a flat out joke. It was so bad, I had Chargers fans actually apologizing to me in the sports bar for me having to watch such a melt down on defense in week 17. They felt bad for me. That's just...not even imaginable lol. I literally felt almost every time we had a close game that if we didn't have the ball last, we'd lose, and almost every time that happened, we did lose.
                          Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by sendacash View Post
                            Elway never had a defense near as bad as ours. In his first three years, Elway had a defense that ranked, figured by points allowed, the 9th, 2nd, and 13th ranked defenses in the league, respectively for 83, 84, and 85. In his first three seasons, Cutler has had the 8th, 28th, and 30th ranked defenses measured by points. So don't give me that Elway could've carried this bad a defense. He never had to. Yeah, sometimes his defenses gave him monumental hurdles to overcome, but not on an every week basis.
                            Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post

no!!! look at elways rcord of wins when his defense allows 30+ POINTS...our defense gave up nine of them this season
                              sigpic
                              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                              X