Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler's gets a bad rap on interceptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elway played the first half of his career in a qb unfriendly system and with virtually no talent around him. Cutler has had just the opposite. Nothing negative about Cutler here, but the comparison isn't really fair to Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pubs07 View Post
      Elway played the first half of his career in a qb unfriendly system and with virtually no talent around him. Cutler has had just the opposite. Nothing negative about Cutler here, but the comparison isn't really fair to Elway.
      and that comparison isn't fair to Cutler.

How is having no defense, and asking him to throw the ball 600 times a season, "Friendly" to the QB if you are comparing INTs per game????? Throwing that many more times, you EXPECT to see more INTs. So if anything, its unfair to Cutler in THIS comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
        Plummer and griese dont even count because they had nowhere the talent that jay does so expectations werent high for those 2 bums

Elway won 2 superbowls

And jay cutler well yeah ..
        Elway won them at the end of his career, and he also had a solid defense throughout his career.

Also it should be noted that Elway threw more INT's than Cutler in his first 3 years... in fact his 3rd year he threw 23 INT's. He also had the 2nd best defense in the NFL his 2nd year (points allowed).

Cutler's done damn good for having to deal with the pressure of constantly knowing you have to score, and dealing with 7-8 defenders in the backfield due to an absent running game via 7 IR RB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezer View Post
          Why does he get such a bad rap about his interceptions? Have you all forgotten how many interceptions Elway through? I did a little research and came up with this....

Cutler averages 1 interception thrown per game.
          Elway averaged .97 interceptions thrown per game.
          Plummer averaged 1.2 interceptions thrown per game.
          Griese averages 1.1 interceptions thrown per game.

If you ask me, he isn't any worse than these former Broncos QBs at tossing interceptions, and none of them ever passed for over 4500 yards!

Elway was the man, but Cutler is damn good too! He deserves some respect.
          Seriously. I think he deserves some respect, too, but it seems that everyone wants to kick him to the curb. Some think that we are going to get a better qb or a "good enough" qb by trading Jay. I think spoiled is a good word.

Some don't want a baller here. Some want a nice guy. Seriously... look at some of the posts here. Jay said this and Jay said that or so and so around the league doesn't like Jay so we shouldn't, too, or his attitude sucks...and it goes on and on.

I think some mix up his demeanor in the press with his work ethic. It gets under my skin when people say "he's a terrible leader and is not well liked in the locker room." I don't even know where that comes from... Did I miss some report about his team mates, past or present, talking bad about him? From what I gather, he seems to be well liked by his peers. I agree that he needs to mature some but that can be coached by a really good mentor, which he had in Shanahan. That is why people are undestimating the value of the coach/qb relationship at this time, saying he needs to shut up and show up for work. I would love for him to show up. I would be ecstatic, but I understand his need to be mentored by someone who cares about his career development. McD does not. This also raises the Bus Cook question but it's an entirely overdone subject for some other thread.

People around the nation have been clamoring for a decent qb. Some fans have been crying for a lot longer that we have. And we were even fortunate to have a great one for well over a decade who helped usher in back to back Super Bowls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            and that comparison isn't fair to Cutler.

How is having no defense, and asking him to throw the ball 600 times a season, "Friendly" to the QB if you are comparing INTs per game????? Throwing that many more times, you EXPECT to see more INTs. So if anything, its unfair to Cutler in THIS comparison.
            Agreed. Even Shanahan was concerned about Cutler's development and has stated numerous times that they put too much on Jay's shoulders.

Man Ravage, did you study debate? You rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Pubs07 View Post
              Playing in a system where the other teams defense has to do nothing but play the pass, While throwing making him throw the ball 600 times and with out having a defense that can get you the ball. IS NOT A QB FRIENDLY SYSTEM.

People bring up the #3 OLine, While I think they were good Cutler was a BIG factor in the number (or lack of) sacks agianst us. You put most other QB's in there and the OLine doesn't look quite as good as they did. Not that they wouldn't be good, but Cutler is a huge part of how good they did do. When you add in the fact that we had no play action or running game. The blitz knew exactly where to go.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

He wouldn't throw as many interceptions if he didn't look for Marshall from the moment the ball is snapped.

He can't read coverages. Not to be unexpected from a quarterback who played in an option system in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Patent_Pending View Post
                  He wouldn't throw as many interceptions if he didn't look for Marshall from the moment the ball is snapped.

He can't read coverages. Not to be unexpected from a quarterback who played in an option system in college.
                  I hate to say this, PP.. but.. none of these statements are true whatsoever. he didn't play in an option system, and he most certainly can read defenses.

If he couldn't read defenses, how is it that he only threw 18 INTs with that many pass attempts?

Comment

Originally posted by Patent_Pending View Post

One of the reasons Shanahan liked Cutler a lot coming out of the draft is the fact that Cutler ran a pro-style offense at Vanderbilt. One of the reasons Jeff Fisher recommended Cutler to Shanahan is because of his intelligence and ability to pick up systems quickly (as evidenced to him watching Cutler for four years in Nashville and working him out prior to the draft).
                    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

I hate to say this, PP.. but.. none of these statements are true whatsoever. he didn't play in an option system, and he most certainly can read defenses.

If he couldn't read defenses, how is it that he only threw 18 INTs with that many pass attempts?
                      If I remember right a few of those interceptions popped out of the hands of his receivers. I still think those should not be counted against the QB, but against the receiver.
                      If you love NFL stats and history
                      pro-football-reference.com
                      jt-sw.com/football

Comment

I see your point, can we agree that it was a spread/option hybrid?

But, if you look at a bulk of his interceptions last year he was throwing into double, and even sometimes, triple coverage with Marshall being a prime target.

Comment

I agree with most people's reasoning, that if you throw the ball over 600 times, 18 interceptions isn't bad as far as averages. But in all honesty, it should have been lower. Cutler made way too many "rookie" throws, most of his interceptions weren't great defensive plays, more like Cutler was throwing to them. I left last year thinking that it's getting too late to call it rookie mistakes, it's time for the guy to realize when to throw it out of bounds instead of throwing into heavy defense. Sure I'll give it to Cutler, he's a great QB and a huge benefit to the team, but to say that his interceptions were typical and average, I will not. I'm gonna look past the numbers and say that he should have thrown less picks, even given the fact that he threw so damn much.

Comment

Thats not accurate. The problem is, you haven't shown you know what a QB should do, nor show any knowledge in how a QB should "distribute" the ball.
                            Well, you give no evidence of what being "accurate" is when it comes to QBs, so I have no reason to think I made any mistake in what I said.

Cutler does not distribute the ball enough. He locks onto Marshall much too often when their are other receivers open. Jay will throw into multiple coverage in critical situations when he has no pressure in the pocket, while there are RBs who might not make a huge gain but will get the 1st down.

Now why don't you back up your statement rather than bluntly tell me that I'm wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Coldbrew View Post
                              I agree with most people's reasoning, that if you throw the ball over 600 times, 18 interceptions isn't bad as far as averages. But in all honesty, it should have been lower. Cutler made way too many "rookie" throws, most of his interceptions weren't great defensive plays, more like Cutler was throwing to them. I left last year thinking that it's getting too late to call it rookie mistakes, it's time for the guy to realize when to throw it out of bounds instead of throwing into heavy defense. Sure I'll give it to Cutler, he's a great QB and a huge benefit to the team, but to say that his interceptions were typical and average, I will not. I'm gonna look past the numbers and say that he should have thrown less picks, even given the fact that he threw so damn much.
                              yeah.. but something to remember as well. ALL QBs that throw that many times, throw nearly if not more INTs. Rookie throws or not. There is no difference btween a rookie INT and a veteran one. Both must have been either bad throws, or bad reads.

Also.. remember that our offense couldn't afford to simply "throw the ball away".. and to throw a series away. I mean, Rothlesburger could throw the ball away and know that the defense would do their job and they would try again later. Our offense didn't have that benefit.

I'm not taking ALL his bad throws away from him.. not at all. I know Jay has things to work on, obviously. But when you know your team is giving up 30+ points on an average of every other game, you know you MUST score and try your DAMNEST to score on each and every drive. Not feeling as though you could afford to punt and try again next drive.

That kind of mentality, takes a toll on a team... on the players. EVERY series is a "must" score for them. As a result, our team actually had more 10+ play drives than anyone else in the NFL.. was VERY high on 3rd down conversions, and ranked amongst the top in yrds. But.. we had to throw the ball 600+ times to do that. The defense had SUCH A HUGE advantage against us.. knowing we couldn't/wouldn't run. Its hard to convert long 3rd downs.. because the defense KNOWS what you are going to do. Thats how it was for us each and every down. Thats a pretty hard thing (for EVERYONE) to overcome.

So yeah... Jay made some 'forced' throws... absolutely. But at the same time, I think thats how our entire offense looked at their job on the team... FORCED to try and make big plays all the time. THey NEEDED to make big plays, hold long drives, and not have the benefit of simply playing field position.

Comment

In my opinion, had Elwayhad Shanahan as his offensive coordinator from the beginning his career would've been something out of this world. I believe Dan Reeves put a lot of strain on Elway because he was a control freak
                                It wasn't until Shanaha came in as the OC that Elway's numbers improved but the great relationship he had with Shanny was something Reeves felt "inappropiate". Reeves thought they were devicing plays behind his back without his approval. Remember, Reeves was an old-school coach. At the time, Shanahan's offensive prowess was ahead of its time, having learned it from Bill Walsh HC of the 49ers. Yet, it's safe to ssume that Elway willed his way to SB's. He didn't have a great defense or superstars on offense, but the guy always found a way to win
                                He did have his share of interceptions, but those weren't the game killer variety, and as long as Elway had the ball in the 4th qtr, we were always in the game with a chance to pull a win...
                                sigpic
                                I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Working...
                                X