Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler's gets a bad rap on interceptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's easy to get a bad rap on interceptions. They are, generally speaking, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      I don't know what you consider accurate.. but throwing the ball 616 times and completing over 62% of your passes.. is accurate. Don't give me it was because he threw the 'dink-n-dunk' passes, either. Because Cutler's yardage per pass wasn't low compared to the other big passers in the NFL.

Cutler: 7.3
      Warner: 7.7
      Manning: 7.2
      Brees: 8
      Rothlesburger: 7

YOu say that Cutler "doesn't distribute the ball"... thats not true either. Compare the number of receivers that Cutler hits on average per game compared to some of the other big passers.

Cutler: 6.8
      Warner: 6.8
      Manning: 6.4
      Brees: 8

So how is it he doesn't distribute the ball enough, and only locks onto Marshall?? Is it because Marshall caught over 100 passes?? So did Welker and Andre Johnson. Fitz did last year... Boldin has in the past. How come you don't say the same thing about Manning to Harrison when Harrison caught over 100 passes in '99, 2000, '01, and '02??

I've backed up my reasoning over and over again, yet you haven't provided a single ounce of "back-up" to any of your ridiculous statements. The only thing you've expressed, is an uneducated opinion. Thats fine, thats what the boards are about, giving opinions. But lets just call a spade a spade and express to everyone that you don't really have any 'knowledgeable' viewpoints or facts on this opinion.
      What does the number of receivers that you throw to have to do with the frequency in which each is thrown at?

I'd produce stats if I knew where to find them. I used to get my info through games I recorded but I don't have that opportunity anymore being at college in Cali. How many times was Marshall thrown at compared to how many catches he had? How many passes went Marshall's direction on 3rd and long?

Comment

Originally posted by Coldbrew View Post
        He also took some of the biggest hits I've ever seen, and surprisingly almost never let go of the ball when these big hits were delivered. And ALSO makes some mighty tasty horseradish sauce
        That is what i will always remember him for.The hits he took and still held onto the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
          I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but I just want to say that I envy you guys. I come from a place where football starts at 3/4 am on Monday morning. Seriously, Super Bowl "MONDAY" is celebrated with breakfast & beer at 7 am, where everyone gets a free pass for missing work and the all-boys private school now has a standardized teacher workshop on that day.

Back in the heyday, we were lucky to catch 3-4 Bronco games a season. Denver is not a big market team and therefore was not carried here as often. The access is amazing now, but back then, it was a bit hard to keep up with plays, stats etc.

I just want to say that you guys should appreciate what you have living in Colorado and having the access you did in the past and still continue to enjoy! Cheers!
          During the SB years (the good ones, not the bad ones lol) I was still in High School and my Dad was stationed at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, so I know how you feel. He let me stay home from school that Monday so me and him could watch the SB. Amazingly, almost a year later, I got the same illness and had to stay home from school again, also on a Monday. Very strange. And we had to watch it at like 5am, lol.
          Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
            What does the number of receivers that you throw to have to do with the frequency in which each is thrown at?

I'd produce stats if I knew where to find them. I used to get my info through games I recorded but I don't have that opportunity anymore being at college in Cali. How many times was Marshall thrown at compared to how many catches he had? How many passes went Marshall's direction on 3rd and long?
            You said Cutler doesn't distribute the ball. If he's purely locking onto Marshall, then he wouldn't be distributing the ball to more receivers than Manning does. Guess what.. the #1 WR on a team, normally gets the most balls thrown at him, especially when you have a stud like Marshall on the team. Especially on 3rd and long. Thats your go-to guy, thats who you WANT to throw the ball to.

I'm not saying Jay didn't mis-read or lock onto him on occasion. I know that ALLLLL QBs do that. I know all QBs lock onto "their" guy on big situations and long downs... thats normal. Especially for a young QB. But you try and make it sound as if its absurdly in one direction. You make it sound as if his numbers aren't in match with some of the top in the NFL.. and they ARE.

So your complaints that he doesn't know how to read a defense, doesn't distribute the ball enough, and isn't accurate.... just isn't factual.

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
              In my opinion, had Elwayhad Shanahan as his offensive coordinator from the beginning his career would've been something out of this world. I believe Dan Reeves put a lot of strain on Elway because he was a control freak
              It wasn't until Shanaha came in as the OC that Elway's numbers improved but the great relationship he had with Shanny was something Reeves felt "inappropiate". Reeves thought they were devicing plays behind his back without his approval. Remember, Reeves was an old-school coach. At the time, Shanahan's offensive prowess was ahead of its time, having learned it from Bill Walsh HC of the 49ers. Yet, it's safe to ssume that Elway willed his way to SB's. He didn't have a great defense or superstars on offense, but the guy always found a way to win
              He did have his share of interceptions, but those weren't the game killer variety, and as long as Elway had the ball in the 4th qtr, we were always in the game with a chance to pull a win...
              You are joking, right? Or you just became a Broncos fan. You see, Shanahan was with Elway for nearly half of his career. Denver QB Coach from 84-85. O-Coord for Denver from 86-87. Came back to Denver in 89 to be QB Coach again from 89-91. Came back in 95 to be HC obviously. So out of Elway's career, the only times that Shanny didn't have an influence on him was his first season in 83, the 1988 season, and from 92-94. So really, he was around Elway for all but 5 years of his career. So Shanahan was tutoring and grooming Elway for 2/3rds of Elway's career.
              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post

Cutler had at least 5 guys with 30 or more catches this season, and nearly 3 guys with 50 or more (Stokes was 1 catch short of 50, so I'd call that close enough really for government work). And he nearly had two guys with 100+ catches, as Eddie only fell 9 catches short.

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                  You are joking, right? Or you just became a Broncos fan. You see, Shanahan was with Elway for nearly half of his career. Denver QB Coach from 84-85. O-Coord for Denver from 86-87. Came back to Denver in 89 to be QB Coach again from 89-91. Came back in 95 to be HC obviously. So out of Elway's career, the only times that Shanny didn't have an influence on him was his first season in 83, the 1988 season, and from 92-94. So really, he was around Elway for all but 5 years of his career. So Shanahan was tutoring and grooming Elway for 2/3rds of Elway's career.
                  What is it that I'm joking about?
                  Didn't I say "from the beginning" of his career?
                  Elway was thrown into the fire when he started. He DID NOT have somebody "qualified" to work with him in his early development...
                  sigpic
                  I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                    Just one question, who's offense was being run until Shanahan became coach? Hence I agree with the poster who said that Elway would have probably done much better in another system.

I would like to have Jay stay, but: For those who like to throw out the number of passes to the number of interceptions please apply that to his total yards when crowing about that. While the interceptions and bad reads bothered me I think I was more upset about just plain ass missed passes to wide open receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by oldster View Post
                      Just one question, who's offense was being run until Shanahan became coach? Hence I agree with the poster who said that Elway would have probably done much better in another system.
                      I believe it was a combination of a "Tom Landry" type offense an Hermindinger (Sp?) who at the time may have been the recievers/offense coach
                      sigpic
                      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                        Plummer and griese dont even count because they had nowhere the talent that jay does so expectations werent high for those 2 bums

Elway won 2 superbowls

And jay cutler well yeah ..
                        elway won 2 superbowls is your argument? Jay's not even at his prime (or close to it) yet. Elway won 2 in his last 2 years.... just wait with cutler he will win a few in a row in a couple years...

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                          You said Cutler doesn't distribute the ball. If he's purely locking onto Marshall, then he wouldn't be distributing the ball to more receivers than Manning does. Guess what.. the #1 WR on a team, normally gets the most balls thrown at him, especially when you have a stud like Marshall on the team. Especially on 3rd and long. Thats your go-to guy, thats who you WANT to throw the ball to.

I'm not saying Jay didn't mis-read or lock onto him on occasion. I know that ALLLLL QBs do that. I know all QBs lock onto "their" guy on big situations and long downs... thats normal. Especially for a young QB. But you try and make it sound as if its absurdly in one direction. You make it sound as if his numbers aren't in match with some of the top in the NFL.. and they ARE.

So your complaints that he doesn't know how to read a defense, doesn't distribute the ball enough, and isn't accurate.... just isn't factual.
                          While I agree with all your points. That last one still needs a better statistic. I don't think that Cutler locks on to Marsh to much (some games I think he did). But just saying he throws the ball to 7 different people a game isn't the stats I want to see.

I guess I'm just asking if you have a statistic on the percentage of throws to BMarsh, Compared to other top QB's in the league.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

We have to consider when and how Cutler throws his interceptions. Some are acceptable, some are unfortunate, others are just awful. Last season, for example. Against the Jaguars, he was facing a 3rd and long. So, he simply threw a deep ball and tried his luck. The ball was intercepted in the Jaguars territory, it wasn't much different from a punt. But against the Dolphins, he just lost the focus.

After the referees cancelled Marshall's TD reception, Cutler showed he was clearly upset with the call. 3rd and 24 in the beginning of the 4th quarter, Miami was winning by only 6 points. Pittman was all alone, wide open to receive a short pass and run for extra yardage, but the infuriated Cutler just thought "oh, whatever, I'll just sling it". So, he threw an awful ball towards Stokley who was completely covered. Even Daniel Graham was a good target deep in the middle, poorly covered one on one. The Dolphins intercepted the ball and regained possession in our territory, scoring a field goal.

There were picks when Cutler threw the ball to option routes and the WR went to a different direction. Such thing happened against the Browns, and after the game Marshall said it was his fault. So, Cutler was unfortunate. Overall, he can improve his stats and our chances of winning just by avoiding the senseless risky throws against triple coverage when he is frustrated with the game.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                              We have to consider when and how Cutler throws his interceptions. Some are acceptable, some are unfortunate, others are just awful. Last season, for example. Against the Jaguars, he was facing a 3rd and long. So, he simply threw a deep ball and tried his luck. The ball was intercepted in the Jaguars territory, it wasn't much different from a punt. But against the Dolphins, he just lost the focus.

After the referees cancelled Marshall's TD reception, Cutler showed he was clearly upset with the call. 3rd and 24 in the beginning of the 4th quarter, Miami was winning by only 6 points. Pittman was all alone, wide open to receive a short pass and run for extra yardage, but the infuriated Cutler just thought "oh, whatever, I'll just sling it". So, he threw an awful ball towards Stokley who was completely covered. Even Daniel Graham was a good target deep in the middle, poorly covered one on one. The Dolphins intercepted the ball and regained possession in our territory, scoring a field goal.

There were picks when Cutler threw the ball to option routes and the WR went to a different direction. Such thing happened against the Browns, and after the game Marshall said it was his fault. So, Cutler was unfortunate. Overall, he can improve his stats and our chances of winning just by avoiding the senseless risky throws against triple coverage when he is frustrated with the game.
                              Thats awesome and all, tell me if I am wrong here. But it almost sounds like you expected cutler and the offense to win the games all by themselves. I know this WHOLE topic is a dead horse beatin one to many times but, given we had any type of defense last year, we would have held the keys to the west all the way through. I am pretty sure you, me, and 9 other guys could get out there and do the same thing on defense we did last year.

Cutler and some bad throws and picks? Sure I give that to you, he needs to improve on that ALOT. But his 3rd year and we expect a superbowl appearance. Big Ben gets there 2 times only because of that defense, not because he is a good QB. (that throw to win the game at the end was really good though, but a throw QB's should be able to make, followed by terrible defense) Young mistakes that will get worked out, but lets come together and hope that this year is better than any we have had in a while!

Comment

Cutler threw the ball 616 times last year he was intercepted 18 times, this works out to a whopping 3%. I'll take those numbers. END OF DISCUSSION.
                                sigpic
                                2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Working...
                                X