Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler's gets a bad rap on interceptions!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post
    Thats awesome and all, tell me if I am wrong here. But it almost sounds like you expected cutler and the offense to win the games all by themselves.
    Cutler's bad decisions had a great impact because we had no defense to bail him out. Going back to the game against the Dolphins, we could have won even after Cutler's 3rd pick. But what happened? They scored a field goal, ok. Then Cutler threw a beautiful pass and Hillis made a great catch and run, Marshall suffered pass interference and Hillis scored a TD. We were back in the game. But our defense was pathetic. We allowed endless first downs with that 10-yard cushion, their WRs ran hook routes all the way. They turned a 3rd and 19 into a 4th and 1 and then got the 1st down. Pass deep to Ricky Williams, Louis Green on the coverage, complete pass. Goal line play, Ronnie Brown runs free to the right as someone blew Engelberger and Winborn was too slow to react, besides he stumbled on Nate Webster. Cutler still got the ball back and almost threw a long TD pass to Marshall, who dropped the ball in the endzone. Cutler threw 3 interceptions against the Dolphins. With our defense, it's tough to win after suffering 3 turnovers. Cutler and the offense had to win the games by themselves because our defense was very giving.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      I don't know what you consider accurate.. but throwing the ball 616 times and completing over 62% of your passes.. is accurate. Don't give me it was because he threw the 'dink-n-dunk' passes, either. Because Cutler's yardage per pass wasn't low compared to the other big passers in the NFL.

      Cutler: 7.3
      Warner: 7.7
      Manning: 7.2
      Brees: 8
      Rothlesburger: 7

      YOu say that Cutler "doesn't distribute the ball"... thats not true either. Compare the number of receivers that Cutler hits on average per game compared to some of the other big passers.

      Cutler: 6.8
      Warner: 6.8
      Manning: 6.4
      Brees: 8

      So how is it he doesn't distribute the ball enough, and only locks onto Marshall?? Is it because Marshall caught over 100 passes?? So did Welker and Andre Johnson. Fitz did last year... Boldin has in the past. How come you don't say the same thing about Manning to Harrison when Harrison caught over 100 passes in '99, 2000, '01, and '02??

      I've backed up my reasoning over and over again, yet you haven't provided a single ounce of "back-up" to any of your ridiculous statements. The only thing you've expressed, is an uneducated opinion. Thats fine, thats what the boards are about, giving opinions. But lets just call a spade a spade and express to everyone that you don't really have any 'knowledgeable' viewpoints or facts on this opinion.

      Fantastic post!!! You are a true Broncos fan.
      If you love NFL stats and history
      pro-football-reference.com
      jt-sw.com/football

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        Cutler's bad decisions had a great impact because we had no defense to bail him out. Going back to the game against the Dolphins, we could have won even after Cutler's 3rd pick. But what happened? They scored a field goal, ok. Then Cutler threw a beautiful pass and Hillis made a great catch and run, Marshall suffered pass interference and Hillis scored a TD. We were back in the game. But our defense was pathetic. We allowed endless first downs with that 10-yard cushion, their WRs ran hook routes all the way. They turned a 3rd and 19 into a 4th and 1 and then got the 1st down. Pass deep to Ricky Williams, Louis Green on the coverage, complete pass. Goal line play, Ronnie Brown runs free to the right as someone blew Engelberger and Winborn was too slow to react, besides he stumbled on Nate Webster. Cutler still got the ball back and almost threw a long TD pass to Marshall, who dropped the ball in the endzone. Cutler threw 3 interceptions against the Dolphins. With our defense, it's tough to win after suffering 3 turnovers. Cutler and the offense had to win the games by themselves because our defense was very giving.

        A qb doesn't throw for 4500 yards in one season by making bad decisions!
        If you love NFL stats and history
        pro-football-reference.com
        jt-sw.com/football

        Comment


        • #64
          Honestly, this debate is getting a little monotonous.

          Cutler haters will continue to focus on ints and win/loss records until he wins a SB. There is no talking sense into people who are completely closed minded on the subject.

          I am a Cutler fan, and I don't pretend that he is perfect. He makes mistakes, but he provides way more good than bad on the field.

          Too many people think that this is a game of Madden and you can just draft a QB with an OVR 90 and AWR 90 and everything else will fall into place. Cutler is a very good QB and he is young. He is doing very well considering his age and the state of the team. Perfect, no, but to think that he is a problem with this team is incorrect.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
            Honestly, this debate is getting a little monotonous.

            Cutler haters will continue to focus on ints and win/loss records until he wins a SB. There is no talking sense into people who are completely closed minded on the subject.

            I am a Cutler fan, and I don't pretend that he is perfect. He makes mistakes, but he provides way more good than bad on the field.

            Too many people think that this is a game of Madden and you can just draft a QB with an OVR 90 and AWR 90 and everything else will fall into place. Cutler is a very good QB and he is young. He is doing very well considering his age and the state of the team. Perfect, no, but to think that he is a problem with this team is incorrect.
            Amen. And I'll take the INTs and such because hell, Jay is as fun to watch as John was. I've had to suffer through 7 years of watching mediocre QBs after we lost John and even during wins it just wasn't fun. Broncos football is fun again, even in the losses, because we have a guy who, god forbid, likes to take chances and believes he can make every throw on the field and won't back down from a challenge.
            Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
              Amen. And I'll take the INTs and such because hell, Jay is as fun to watch as John was. I've had to suffer through 7 years of watching mediocre QBs after we lost John and even during wins it just wasn't fun. Broncos football is fun again, even in the losses, because we have a guy who, god forbid, likes to take chances and believes he can make every throw on the field and won't back down from a challenge.
              How many just SICK throws has he made so far - a ton. Ya, he makes some head shaking mistakes, but he is super fun to watch. He has a live arm, throws well on the run, throws well in the pocket, can scramble, throws blocks. Dude is a FOOTBALL PLAYER who is listed @ QB.:salute!:
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                How many just SICK throws has he made so far - a ton. Ya, he makes some head shaking mistakes, but he is super fun to watch. He has a live arm, throws well on the run, throws well in the pocket, can scramble, throws blocks. Dude is a FOOTBALL PLAYER who is listed @ QB.:salute!:
                Don't forget him making a fool out of Demorrio Williams. He reminds me so much of Favre (in good ways). Not afraid of anyone, fiery, and willing to take big risks for potential big rewards. I'm sorry but I just can't see why some people hate Cutler. I can understand frustration over the whole mess, but to just hate on the guy is quite frankly confusing to me. Most fans would kill to have a guy like this to root for at QB. When did my fellow Broncos fans lose their taste for the thrill of never knowing what will happen on the field. I think the SBs spoiled many of us. I remember what it was like to watch John before those SBs. It was an up and down rollercoaster ride, and although it ended up in disappointment as many times as success, it was always fun, even watching the losses was fun because you just never knew what would happen but you always knew that John would never quit until 00:00 on the clock.
                Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                  Don't forget him making a fool out of Demorrio Williams. He reminds me so much of Favre (in good ways). Not afraid of anyone, fiery, and willing to take big risks for potential big rewards. I'm sorry but I just can't see why some people hate Cutler. I can understand frustration over the whole mess, but to just hate on the guy is quite frankly confusing to me. Most fans would kill to have a guy like this to root for at QB. When did my fellow Broncos fans lose their taste for the thrill of never knowing what will happen on the field. I think the SBs spoiled many of us. I remember what it was like to watch John before those SBs. It was an up and down rollercoaster ride, and although it ended up in disappointment as many times as success, it was always fun, even watching the losses was fun because you just never knew what would happen but you always knew that John would never quit until 00:00 on the clock.

                  I'm with ya, man. I think there's just too much of a "Madden mentality". People honestly think you can just plug in some other dude and your team will magically be perfect.

                  Cutler is very good and those who refuse to see it will never be satisfied because NO QB will ever live to their standards.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                    I'm with ya, man. I think there's just too much of a "Madden mentality". People honestly think you can just plug in some other dude and your team will magically be perfect.

                    Cutler is very good and those who refuse to see it will never be satisfied because NO QB will ever live to their standards.
                    Well, let's face it. In some people's minds, no one will ever live up to John unless they win 3 Super Bowls. I know that we'll never replace John Elway. He's my favorite pro athlete and one of my personal heroes because of his never give up approach to football and his leadership skills. He led by example and made those around him better players. That debate on the Lions forum about Elway is a ****ing joke because they have never even seen a real football legend other than Barry Sanders and they even drove him from the game of football.

                    John will always be a legend to me and others who grew up with Broncos football, but to hold any current QB who's only been in the league a handful of years to that standard is nuts. And the funny thing is, statistically, Cutler is far ahead of Elway at the three year mark on so many levels. I have no idea what Cutler will end up being known as. Will he be the next Elway, or the next Jeff George, or the next Marino (all of the stats, none of the trophies)? Who knows. But I look forward to the journey.
                    Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                      Don't forget him making a fool out of Demorrio Williams. He reminds me so much of Favre (in good ways). Not afraid of anyone, fiery, and willing to take big risks for potential big rewards. I'm sorry but I just can't see why some people hate Cutler. I can understand frustration over the whole mess, but to just hate on the guy is quite frankly confusing to me. Most fans would kill to have a guy like this to root for at QB. When did my fellow Broncos fans lose their taste for the thrill of never knowing what will happen on the field. I think the SBs spoiled many of us. I remember what it was like to watch John before those SBs. It was an up and down rollercoaster ride, and although it ended up in disappointment as many times as success, it was always fun, even watching the losses was fun because you just never knew what would happen but you always knew that John would never quit until 00:00 on the clock.
                      Agreed. I don't understand some people either. This year was the first in a long while that I actually got overly excited over a win and extremely heartbroken over a loss. Football is fun again. :go:

                      Some argue that no player is bigger than the team (which I think applies anywhere and is just a bogus argument) and that people shouldn't get attached to great players or coaches because it's a business. Well you know what? I'm a consumer and I like a lot of the players we have on staff. And as a consumer, I don't like what McD & Xanders have done to this organization in a matter of months. It's just mind blowing!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                        Elway had average offensive talent around him for the longest time.

                        Cutler makes mistakes with great receiving targets and a top pass blocking offensive line. He doesn't distribute the ball as much as he should.
                        Elway had far better defenses then Jay has had thus far.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Breezer View Post
                          Why does he get such a bad rap about his interceptions? Have you all forgotten how many interceptions Elway through? I did a little research and came up with this....

                          Cutler averages 1 interception thrown per game.
                          Elway averaged .97 interceptions thrown per game.
                          Plummer averaged 1.2 interceptions thrown per game.
                          Griese averages 1.1 interceptions thrown per game.

                          If you ask me, he isn't any worse than these former Broncos QBs at tossing interceptions, and none of them ever passed for over 4500 yards!

                          Elway was the man, but Cutler is damn good too! He deserves some respect.

                          Elway was no saint when it came to INT's and only really improved that at the end of his career.

                          PS. Averaging one INT a game is terrible.
                          [IMG]

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                            Don't forget him making a fool out of Demorrio Williams. He reminds me so much of Favre (in good ways). Not afraid of anyone, fiery, and willing to take big risks for potential big rewards. I'm sorry but I just can't see why some people hate Cutler. I can understand frustration over the whole mess, but to just hate on the guy is quite frankly confusing to me. Most fans would kill to have a guy like this to root for at QB. When did my fellow Broncos fans lose their taste for the thrill of never knowing what will happen on the field. I think the SBs spoiled many of us. I remember what it was like to watch John before those SBs. It was an up and down rollercoaster ride, and although it ended up in disappointment as many times as success, it was always fun, even watching the losses was fun because you just never knew what would happen but you always knew that John would never quit until 00:00 on the clock.
                            It's not that hard to see -

                            1. There are those that hate him because he said he had a stronger arm than John Elway (in response to a question)

                            2. There are those that got their panties into a bunch when he was upset over the firing of Mike Shanahan (who for many was enemy number 1 and who ironically enough are now giving the "if you don't want to root for the head coach, go to another team" advice that they never followed themselves while Shanahan was here)

                            3. As to those non-Broncos fans spouting off about Cutler, most of it started around the time ESPN did a survey of a few GMs, scouts and head-coaches and found that Cutler was considered the best young QB in the league. The vitriol towards Cutler from non-Broncos fans took off from that.

                            4. Finally, for Dolt "fans" it was the incident from two years ago that exposed their d-bag of a QB to the rest of the league that sparked their hatred for Cutler.

                            In short, every reason except his play on the field.
                            Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              Thats not accurate. The problem is, you haven't shown you know what a QB should do, nor show any knowledge in how a QB should "distribute" the ball.
                              I believe his statement was just common sense from watching the games. Sometimes Jay throws deep into double coverage to Marshall, when the replay showed that there was a guy open underneath. Obviously I can't really prove that I know what she should have done or how he should distribute the ball, but I think that its just common sense that if you have a guy wide open underneath you should throw it to him, rather than force a deep throw to a guy who is covered by 2 guys. I know you love to defend Cutler, which for the most part you are right, but c'mon, its no secret Cutler was "throw it deep to Marshall" happy for a good portion of the year. Jay has all the physical tools in the world to be a great QB, and i've said physically, he's easily a top 5, possibly top 3 QB in the league. He just needs to make better decisions, like throwing the ball to the open receiver and take the deep ball when its there. IMO, this is Cutler's biggest and virtually only problem. And when he gets that corrected (I believe he will), man will this offense be scary good.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
                                I believe his statement was just common sense from watching the games. Sometimes Jay throws deep into double coverage to Marshall, when the replay showed that there was a guy open underneath. Obviously I can't really prove that I know what she should have done or how he should distribute the ball, but I think that its just common sense that if you have a guy wide open underneath you should throw it to him, rather than force a deep throw to a guy who is covered by 2 guys. I know you love to defend Cutler, which for the most part you are right, but c'mon, its no secret Cutler was "throw it deep to Marshall" happy for a good portion of the year. Jay has all the physical tools in the world to be a great QB, and i've said physically, he's easily a top 5, possibly top 3 QB in the league. He just needs to make better decisions, like throwing the ball to the open receiver and take the deep ball when its there. IMO, this is Cutler's biggest and virtually only problem. And when he gets that corrected (I believe he will), man will this offense be scary good.
                                I'm not going to disagree with the general notion of the post, but the line in bold is something I'm often curious about. I've seen games where they show replays of a Cutler interception or incompletion and another receiver looks open. However, they never really show the field at the point when Cutler is about to make the throw (i.e. the field he sees). They invariably begin the replay focusing on Cutler in the backfield and follow the trajectory of the ball to the targeted receiver. It is at this point that we notice that someone else may have been open or single-covered (which is kinda obvious because the defenders flow in the direction of the throw). I don't know if it's fair to look at these replays and conclude that the other guy was truly open.

                                The only people who knew how well Cutler read defenses were Shanahan and Bates. If he did indeed read defenses poorly or make poor decisions relative to the play called, they would have limited his role in the offense (as Shanahan had no hesitation doing with Plummer). The fact that Cutler's responsbilities only grew would indicate that Shanahan had complete confidence in Cutler's ability to process his complicated, weekly-changing playbook, read opposing defenses and make good decisions. I think that tells us everything we need to know about Cutler's decision-making process.
                                Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X