Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler's gets a bad rap on interceptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breezer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I hate to say this, PP.. but.. none of these statements are true whatsoever. he didn't play in an option system, and he most certainly can read defenses.

If he couldn't read defenses, how is it that he only threw 18 INTs with that many pass attempts?
    If I remember right a few of those interceptions popped out of the hands of his receivers. I still think those should not be counted against the QB, but against the receiver.

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    Originally posted by Patent_Pending View Post
    He wouldn't throw as many interceptions if he didn't look for Marshall from the moment the ball is snapped.

He can't read coverages. Not to be unexpected from a quarterback who played in an option system in college.
    One of the reasons Shanahan liked Cutler a lot coming out of the draft is the fact that Cutler ran a pro-style offense at Vanderbilt. One of the reasons Jeff Fisher recommended Cutler to Shanahan is because of his intelligence and ability to pick up systems quickly (as evidenced to him watching Cutler for four years in Nashville and working him out prior to the draft).

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Patent_Pending View Post
    He wouldn't throw as many interceptions if he didn't look for Marshall from the moment the ball is snapped.

He can't read coverages. Not to be unexpected from a quarterback who played in an option system in college.
    I hate to say this, PP.. but.. none of these statements are true whatsoever. he didn't play in an option system, and he most certainly can read defenses.

If he couldn't read defenses, how is it that he only threw 18 INTs with that many pass attempts?

Leave a comment:

• Patent_Pending
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SlyBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Pubs07 View Post
    Elway played the first half of his career in a qb unfriendly system and with virtually no talent around him. Cutler has had just the opposite. Nothing negative about Cutler here, but the comparison isn't really fair to Elway.
    Playing in a system where the other teams defense has to do nothing but play the pass, While throwing making him throw the ball 600 times and with out having a defense that can get you the ball. IS NOT A QB FRIENDLY SYSTEM.

People bring up the #3 OLine, While I think they were good Cutler was a BIG factor in the number (or lack of) sacks agianst us. You put most other QB's in there and the OLine doesn't look quite as good as they did. Not that they wouldn't be good, but Cutler is a huge part of how good they did do. When you add in the fact that we had no play action or running game. The blitz knew exactly where to go.

Leave a comment:

• acpell671
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    and that comparison isn't fair to Cutler.

How is having no defense, and asking him to throw the ball 600 times a season, "Friendly" to the QB if you are comparing INTs per game????? Throwing that many more times, you EXPECT to see more INTs. So if anything, its unfair to Cutler in THIS comparison.
    Agreed. Even Shanahan was concerned about Cutler's development and has stated numerous times that they put too much on Jay's shoulders.

Man Ravage, did you study debate? You rock!

Leave a comment:

• acpell671
    replied
    Originally posted by Breezer View Post
    Why does he get such a bad rap about his interceptions? Have you all forgotten how many interceptions Elway through? I did a little research and came up with this....

Cutler averages 1 interception thrown per game.
    Elway averaged .97 interceptions thrown per game.
    Plummer averaged 1.2 interceptions thrown per game.
    Griese averages 1.1 interceptions thrown per game.

If you ask me, he isn't any worse than these former Broncos QBs at tossing interceptions, and none of them ever passed for over 4500 yards!

Elway was the man, but Cutler is damn good too! He deserves some respect.
    Seriously. I think he deserves some respect, too, but it seems that everyone wants to kick him to the curb. Some think that we are going to get a better qb or a "good enough" qb by trading Jay. I think spoiled is a good word.

Some don't want a baller here. Some want a nice guy. Seriously... look at some of the posts here. Jay said this and Jay said that or so and so around the league doesn't like Jay so we shouldn't, too, or his attitude sucks...and it goes on and on.

I think some mix up his demeanor in the press with his work ethic. It gets under my skin when people say "he's a terrible leader and is not well liked in the locker room." I don't even know where that comes from... Did I miss some report about his team mates, past or present, talking bad about him? From what I gather, he seems to be well liked by his peers. I agree that he needs to mature some but that can be coached by a really good mentor, which he had in Shanahan. That is why people are undestimating the value of the coach/qb relationship at this time, saying he needs to shut up and show up for work. I would love for him to show up. I would be ecstatic, but I understand his need to be mentored by someone who cares about his career development. McD does not. This also raises the Bus Cook question but it's an entirely overdone subject for some other thread.

People around the nation have been clamoring for a decent qb. Some fans have been crying for a lot longer that we have. And we were even fortunate to have a great one for well over a decade who helped usher in back to back Super Bowls.

Leave a comment:

• UberBroncoMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    Plummer and griese dont even count because they had nowhere the talent that jay does so expectations werent high for those 2 bums

Elway won 2 superbowls

And jay cutler well yeah ..
    Elway won them at the end of his career, and he also had a solid defense throughout his career.

Also it should be noted that Elway threw more INT's than Cutler in his first 3 years... in fact his 3rd year he threw 23 INT's. He also had the 2nd best defense in the NFL his 2nd year (points allowed).

Cutler's done damn good for having to deal with the pressure of constantly knowing you have to score, and dealing with 7-8 defenders in the backfield due to an absent running game via 7 IR RB's.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Pubs07 View Post
    Elway played the first half of his career in a qb unfriendly system and with virtually no talent around him. Cutler has had just the opposite. Nothing negative about Cutler here, but the comparison isn't really fair to Elway.
    and that comparison isn't fair to Cutler.

How is having no defense, and asking him to throw the ball 600 times a season, "Friendly" to the QB if you are comparing INTs per game????? Throwing that many more times, you EXPECT to see more INTs. So if anything, its unfair to Cutler in THIS comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Pubs07
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    I agree about that. A lot of the fans here come across as incredibly spoiled like they are entitled to something. I don't mean that in a disrespectful manner but I find it quite puzzling how many people here consistently **** on Cutler as if he is anything less than a top 10 QB and one of the best pure passers in the game.
    I just like to quote the visiting fans that are posting from non divisional teams. Thanks for your perspective

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
    i agree, whatever excuses fans want to make for cutler you can't deny that cutler has the best recievers and blockers that ANY broncos QB has had....maybe ever. but then again a running game wouldn't help....

btw, on your sig, marshall looks REALLY furious maybe you could try flipping the picture?
    Really? you think our OL and WRs are better than what we had during the SB years with Schlereth, Zimmerman, and a healthy Nalen????

You think our WRs were better than a top Rod Smith and top Ed McCaffrey along with Shannon Sharpe???

I think you are showing your young age.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Elway had average offensive talent around him for the longest time.

Cutler makes mistakes with great receiving targets and a top pass blocking offensive line. He doesn't distribute the ball as much as he should.
    Thats not accurate. The problem is, you haven't shown you know what a QB should do, nor show any knowledge in how a QB should "distribute" the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Pura Vida
    replied
    Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    For all the people that say jay made 2 many mistakes that cost the team just look at the packers record this past year ....

That would have been us if cutler didnt take all those chances

Basically the packers were the same team as us last year
    The packers had a much better defense than us.

Leave a comment:

• Pura Vida
    replied
    [QUOTE=broncos1997;2672734]i agree, whatever excuses fans want to make for cutler you can't deny that cutler has the best recievers and blockers that ANY broncos QB has had....maybe ever. QUOTE]

I'd trade our line and wrs for those on the 98/99 teams in a friggin second. Youd be crazy if you didnt make that trade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X