Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler's gets a bad rap on interceptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC1
    replied
    Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
    Ok I can see what your saying, but I'm saying that IMO, a lot of his deep passes were questionable, basically because a good portion of his deep throws were thrown into double coverage. This brings me to conclude that their was probably a higher percentage pass somewhere else on the field if the guy he was throwing to was doubled (as not every1 can be double covered).
    He had to throw into double coverage because with our defense giving up points by the gallon and our running game not instilling any fear into the opposing defense, they would drop 7 and 8 back waiting for the pass.

Leave a comment:

• Breezer
    replied
    Bettendorf (right next to Davenport/Quad City area). Go to school at Iowa now. You?
    Wow! My dad is originally from Bettendorf! If you know of any Huscko's they are related to me (my dad's mothers side). I lived most of my childhood in Cherokee Iowa, about an hour east of Sioux City. Moved to Minnesota in 1984 at the age of 17 and have been here ever since!

Leave a comment:

• iowabronco24
    replied
    Originally posted by Breezer View Post
    Thanks, no offense to you! I am just pointing out that we all get too carried away with thinking that we have all the answers to something we really have no knowledge or experience with. It is all in fun, my Iowa friend! I am originally from Iowa! Now in Minnesota. Broncos fan since 1977!!! Where about in Iowa are you?
    Bettendorf (right next to Davenport/Quad City area). Go to school at Iowa now. You?

Leave a comment:

• Breezer
    replied
    Wow, good one.

Never said it was easy buddy, just said that his decisions making is questionable at times. Am I wrong? I really don't understand what your trying to prove here.
    Thanks, no offense to you! I am just pointing out that we all get too carried away with thinking that we have all the answers to something we really have no knowledge or experience with. It is all in fun, my Iowa friend! I am originally from Iowa! Now in Minnesota. Broncos fan since 1977!!! Where about in Iowa are you?

Leave a comment:

• iowabronco24
    replied
    If it is so easy to be a professional QB in the NFL why don't you try out? Then come back and tell us why didn't make the team!
    Wow, good one.

Never said it was easy buddy, just said that his decisions making is questionable at times. Am I wrong? I really don't understand what your trying to prove here.

Leave a comment:

• Breezer
    replied
    Ok I can see what your saying, but I'm saying that IMO, a lot of his deep passes were questionable, basically because a good portion of his deep throws were thrown into double coverage. This brings me to conclude that their was probably a higher percentage pass somewhere else on the field if the guy he was throwing to was doubled (as not every1 can be double covered).
    If it is so easy to be a professional QB in the NFL why don't you try out? Then come back and tell us why didn't make the team!

Leave a comment:

• iowabronco24
    replied
    Originally posted by AC1 View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with the general notion of the post, but the line in bold is something I'm often curious about. I've seen games where they show replays of a Cutler interception or incompletion and another receiver looks open. However, they never really show the field at the point when Cutler is about to make the throw (i.e. the field he sees). They invariably begin the replay focusing on Cutler in the backfield and follow the trajectory of the ball to the targeted receiver. It is at this point that we notice that someone else may have been open or single-covered (which is kinda obvious because the defenders flow in the direction of the throw). I don't know if it's fair to look at these replays and conclude that the other guy was truly open.

The only people who knew how well Cutler read defenses were Shanahan and Bates. If he did indeed read defenses poorly or make poor decisions relative to the play called, they would have limited his role in the offense (as Shanahan had no hesitation doing with Plummer). The fact that Cutler's responsbilities only grew would indicate that Shanahan had complete confidence in Cutler's ability to process his complicated, weekly-changing playbook, read opposing defenses and make good decisions. I think that tells us everything we need to know about Cutler's decision-making process.

Leave a comment:

• Justblaze2729
    replied
    Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
    Elway won them at the end of his career, and he also had a solid defense throughout his career.

Also it should be noted that Elway threw more INT's than Cutler in his first 3 years... in fact his 3rd year he threw 23 INT's. He also had the 2nd best defense in the NFL his 2nd year (points allowed).

Cutler's done damn good for having to deal with the pressure of constantly knowing you have to score, and dealing with 7-8 defenders in the backfield due to an absent running game via 7 IR RB's.
    I know elway threw tons of ints during the start of his career my point is until cutler wins a superbowl some people will always call him out on that
    Last edited by Justblaze2729; 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Justblaze2729
    replied
    Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
    The packers had a much better defense than us.
    Exactly so that says that much more about how amazing it was that cutler got this team to 8 wins

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by StugotsII View Post
    Elway was no saint when it came to INT's and only really improved that at the end of his career.

PS. Averaging one INT a game is terrible.
    WOULD THAT IMPROVEMENT COINCIDE WITH THE EMERGENCE OF THE FAMOUS BRONCO RUNNING GAME?...you know something cutler is lacking

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    I believe his statement was just common sense from watching the games. Sometimes Jay throws deep into double coverage to Marshall, when the replay showed that there was a guy open underneath. Obviously I can't really prove that I know what she should have done or how he should distribute the ball, but I think that its just common sense that if you have a guy wide open underneath you should throw it to him, rather than force a deep throw to a guy who is covered by 2 guys. I know you love to defend Cutler, which for the most part you are right, but c'mon, its no secret Cutler was "throw it deep to Marshall" happy for a good portion of the year. Jay has all the physical tools in the world to be a great QB, and i've said physically, he's easily a top 5, possibly top 3 QB in the league. He just needs to make better decisions, like throwing the ball to the open receiver and take the deep ball when its there. IMO, this is Cutler's biggest and virtually only problem. And when he gets that corrected (I believe he will), man will this offense be scary good.
    I'm not going to disagree with the general notion of the post, but the line in bold is something I'm often curious about. I've seen games where they show replays of a Cutler interception or incompletion and another receiver looks open. However, they never really show the field at the point when Cutler is about to make the throw (i.e. the field he sees). They invariably begin the replay focusing on Cutler in the backfield and follow the trajectory of the ball to the targeted receiver. It is at this point that we notice that someone else may have been open or single-covered (which is kinda obvious because the defenders flow in the direction of the throw). I don't know if it's fair to look at these replays and conclude that the other guy was truly open.

The only people who knew how well Cutler read defenses were Shanahan and Bates. If he did indeed read defenses poorly or make poor decisions relative to the play called, they would have limited his role in the offense (as Shanahan had no hesitation doing with Plummer). The fact that Cutler's responsbilities only grew would indicate that Shanahan had complete confidence in Cutler's ability to process his complicated, weekly-changing playbook, read opposing defenses and make good decisions. I think that tells us everything we need to know about Cutler's decision-making process.

Leave a comment:

• iowabronco24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Thats not accurate. The problem is, you haven't shown you know what a QB should do, nor show any knowledge in how a QB should "distribute" the ball.
    I believe his statement was just common sense from watching the games. Sometimes Jay throws deep into double coverage to Marshall, when the replay showed that there was a guy open underneath. Obviously I can't really prove that I know what she should have done or how he should distribute the ball, but I think that its just common sense that if you have a guy wide open underneath you should throw it to him, rather than force a deep throw to a guy who is covered by 2 guys. I know you love to defend Cutler, which for the most part you are right, but c'mon, its no secret Cutler was "throw it deep to Marshall" happy for a good portion of the year. Jay has all the physical tools in the world to be a great QB, and i've said physically, he's easily a top 5, possibly top 3 QB in the league. He just needs to make better decisions, like throwing the ball to the open receiver and take the deep ball when its there. IMO, this is Cutler's biggest and virtually only problem. And when he gets that corrected (I believe he will), man will this offense be scary good.

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
    Don't forget him making a fool out of Demorrio Williams. He reminds me so much of Favre (in good ways). Not afraid of anyone, fiery, and willing to take big risks for potential big rewards. I'm sorry but I just can't see why some people hate Cutler. I can understand frustration over the whole mess, but to just hate on the guy is quite frankly confusing to me. Most fans would kill to have a guy like this to root for at QB. When did my fellow Broncos fans lose their taste for the thrill of never knowing what will happen on the field. I think the SBs spoiled many of us. I remember what it was like to watch John before those SBs. It was an up and down rollercoaster ride, and although it ended up in disappointment as many times as success, it was always fun, even watching the losses was fun because you just never knew what would happen but you always knew that John would never quit until 00:00 on the clock.
    It's not that hard to see -

1. There are those that hate him because he said he had a stronger arm than John Elway (in response to a question)

2. There are those that got their panties into a bunch when he was upset over the firing of Mike Shanahan (who for many was enemy number 1 and who ironically enough are now giving the "if you don't want to root for the head coach, go to another team" advice that they never followed themselves while Shanahan was here)

3. As to those non-Broncos fans spouting off about Cutler, most of it started around the time ESPN did a survey of a few GMs, scouts and head-coaches and found that Cutler was considered the best young QB in the league. The vitriol towards Cutler from non-Broncos fans took off from that.

4. Finally, for Dolt "fans" it was the incident from two years ago that exposed their d-bag of a QB to the rest of the league that sparked their hatred for Cutler.

In short, every reason except his play on the field.

Leave a comment:

• StugotsII
    replied
    Why does he get such a bad rap about his interceptions? Have you all forgotten how many interceptions Elway through? I did a little research and came up with this....

Cutler averages 1 interception thrown per game.
    Elway averaged .97 interceptions thrown per game.
    Plummer averaged 1.2 interceptions thrown per game.
    Griese averages 1.1 interceptions thrown per game.

If you ask me, he isn't any worse than these former Broncos QBs at tossing interceptions, and none of them ever passed for over 4500 yards!

Elway was the man, but Cutler is damn good too! He deserves some respect.

Elway was no saint when it came to INT's and only really improved that at the end of his career.

PS. Averaging one INT a game is terrible.

Leave a comment:

• gmjones2001
    replied
    Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Elway had average offensive talent around him for the longest time.

Cutler makes mistakes with great receiving targets and a top pass blocking offensive line. He doesn't distribute the ball as much as he should.
    Elway had far better defenses then Jay has had thus far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X