Orton / Cutler trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncosfan247 View Post
    damn right I'd dish out that 6k for those seats, atleast i'll enjoy watching them play rather than crying over a QB that didn't give a rats a** about his fan base.
    Looks like you have something in common with McDaniels. He lies too....

sigpic

Comment

• The fact that we've got Orton in this trade was pretty much academic. Orton will not be our starting QB. I think if we don't go out and get Brady or Stafford, that Simms will easily beat him out for the starting spot in training camp...
      sigpic
      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• Bronco fans are sad to see him go because we are confused that such a classy organization could let a situation like this explode. We thought Denver was one of the more knowledgeable organizations in the NFL.

Also, everyone saw him as Elway's heir, and Elway being the most coveted player in Bronco history, to see a kid we thought would return us to the glory days go in such a fashion pisses a lot of people off.

Comment

• Honestly, this trade shows that we still have the best ownership in the NFL. They could have gotten a higher trade value for Cutler by sending him to another team, but it was known Jay wanted to go to Chicago so that's where they sent him. Instead of shipping him off to mediocrity and a lousy career in Detriot, he ended up at a team that has potential, a team he wanted to play for. To me, that speaks volumes of Mr. Bowlen's character.

My hat's off to the entire front office for giving Jay a shot at the rest of his career. :salute!:
          I'm done with this team until they're done with Josh.

Comment

• Broncos get a steal at QB

First I must say I am surprised the trade for Cutler didn't involve going through NE (Kevin O'Connell).

So having watched Orton for more than a few years now I will explain who and what Kyle Orton is. Because the rest of the NFL has next to no clue what Orton is!

Kyle Orton is the exact opposite of Jay Cutler. I mean this in every regard!

Orton is a soldier. He is not some spoiled prima dona who complains when things don't go his way. He deals with adversity and excels.

Kyle Orton was forced to start as a rookie. The change happened in an instant. Grossman got injured and Hutchinson stunk it up in preseason. So from game 1 to 3 of preseason he went from 3rd string to starter. Worst part was they wouldn't play Orton once moved to starter - they feared him getting injured. So Orton started his first NFL game with as little NFL experience as possible. He hardly played in preseason, let alone got snaps during camp.

Orton went out and was asked not to lose games. He did a decent job of it, but you could tell he was as raw as it gets. When Grossman got healthy at the very end of the season, Orton was kicked to the curb and sat watching Grossman play the playoff game. Grossman and other teammates insulted Orton during this season publicly. Moose Muhammed would berate Orton on the field in front of the world. When in reality Moose and the other receivers did Orton no favors leading the league in drops. Not a peep was heard from Orton.

I should mention during this season Orton did something stupid off the field. Orton got drunk at a bar during a bye week... on Sunday. Photos appeared of him getting crazy with football games on in the backround. It was obvious the Bears did not look kindly on this as they brought in Griese to backup Grossman the following season. Not a peep was heard out of Orton.

Orton sat while the team dragged Grossman to a Super Bowl. Not a peep was heard.

Orton sat for the majority of 2007. Grossman stunk it up and Griese started well, but petered out. Not a peep was heard from Orton. Then they finally gave Orton another chance to show how he improved. And he did just that in the 3 worst games of the year as far as weather is concerned. Orton showed he made significant strides from the time he was a rookie.

2008 began with a QB competition between Orton and Grossman. Orton said thank you. But it wouldn't be easy..... Rex Grossman is possibly the best practice QB in the world. That's because Grossman doesn't have to worry about getting hit. Anyway Orton squeeked it out and was named starter.

Being named starting QB of the Bears in 2008 was more of a punishment than a blessing. The Bears didn't have a single WR worth a lick. The offensive line was weak. And the defense started to fall apart. But Orton carried the team for the first half of the season. NFL experts were talking about Orton as an MVP candidate. Orton was willing an offense to succeed, despite little help from anyone outside of Forte. Orton got hurt at the midway point and rushed back because the team would be sunk without him. He took a long time to get healthy after the high ankle sprain and his play suffered. Orton got criticized for his play at the end of the season despite issues that weren't his fault (WRs stink, OL sucks, and a serious injury). Not a peep was heard of Orton.

Orton is a soldier. I mean that. Not in some Kellen Winslow type of way. Whatever happens to him, he just sucks it up and keeps moving forward. He is as smart as it gets. When people speak of his arm they misunderstand things completely. Orton can throw the deep ball, but shouldn't be called upon to do so throughout a game. His deep ball is improving, but lacks accuracy. the part people don't get is Orton is a fireballer. He has as strong an arm as anybody, tremendous velocity. In fact his fastballs were some of the reason Moose and others hated him. Orton would put so much heat on a ball WRs had a hard time catching it. He has improved in this area developing some touch. Orton improves every year! He is a good guy and somebody to root for.

I really believe you got a steal. Orton was working with crap and made crap castles in Chicago. He had what possibly the worst offensive coordinator, WRs, and offensive line. Having options like Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, and Hillis will make him much better than his 80 Qb rating suggests.

Make fun of McDaniels all you like. He doesn't like a gunslinger. So Cutler is out of the question. Orton is the exact opposite of a gunslinger, more like a sniper.

The trade works out great for both parties. Turner's Chicago offense actually does better with a gunslinger (WRs also can actually catch rainbows, not bullets). And McDaniels gets a extremely smart controlled fireballer who's realm is the mid to short game. Orton can will a team to win. The fact McDaniels got Orton tells me he knows what he is doing. Orton sounds like a perfect fit for his offense. And being able to comprehend how good Orton is/could be requires somebody capable of sorting through many layers of deception and cloudiness. Don't let yourselves be fooled by the talk that comes with Orton. Other teams recognized his abilities before 2008. In 2007 Atlanta offered a 3rd rounder for Orton and the Bears declined.

Kyle Orton is OLD SCHOOL. He doesn't have all the sexy attributes. His appearance is, well.... averag joe - but he's extremely sturdy. He is a good QB perfectly capable of winning a superbowl. Just don't ask him to do a lot of running outside of the pocket. He has great pocket prescence, but outside of the pocket he is... slow. Be prepared for Jaworski to torch him any chance he gets. Jaworski has a vendetta against him... I suppose he was compensating for what he thought criticism of Grossman was unfair.

Comment

• I'm only a very occasional visitor to your forum - mostly because I'm a Falcons fan. But that does give me the benefit of looking at this deal as a complete outsider.

I think you guys have done very, very well out of this trade. No, scratch that. I think you guys have hit the jackpot with this trade.

I know Cutler was popular because he was fun to watch and put up some big numbers but personally, I was never quite sold on him. One of the biggest numbers he put up was his interceptions. I think all things being equal, sure you'd hold onto a guy with his potential until you know what you really have in him - but I don't think he was in quite the league he imagined himself to be. Not yet, anyhow.

And I don't think Orton is an upgrade. But he ain't bad. I was at the Bears v Falcons game last year when he almost pulled it out of the fire with a clutch 4th quarter TD drive (only to see his D and special teams let the Falcons steal it with 11 seconds left) and he was impressive in that game. And he didn't have the weapons to work with that he'll have with you guys. Maybe he won't be the answer long term, but he's a capable starter. And if after this season he doesn't seem the answer long term, well you've got that 2010 first round pick to go looking for it.

And with the draft picks you got into the bargain, you can put some of the remaining pieces you really need in place to build a great team. And into the bargain, you get rid of a crybaby who needs his ego stroked and makes stupid statements comparing himself to John Elway when he hasn't won diddley squat.

Seriously, as someone with little care for the Bears or Broncos, I think you guys came out ahead in this trade. With the right use of those draft picks, it could really make the Broncos title contenders for years to come.

Comment

• I think Orton is better than people give him credit for. I doubt he will ever be a star, but I certainly think he can lead a team to victory. If Cassel can win, well, so can Orton.

However, my gut says the Broncos will package their two number 1's and go for Sanchez. Orton or Simms for 2009, then welcome in the new era. A smarter move, in my opinion, would be to shore up the defense, then take your two number ones next year and shop for a QB.

Comment

• Wow. That was touching and heartwarming and almost brought a tear to my eye. Especially the part where a 35+ year fan of the team stated that he was shallow enough to give up his allegiance to his team over the trade of one player without giving any of the decisions being made or the new coach one single game to demonstrate any potential for success. That's deep, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by cdnbroncosfan View Post
                    Classy.......
                    Hey, if someone wants to shoot their mouths off about how tickets should be "given" to someone who appreciates them, they shouldn't have a problem with paying the $6000 to have them.

But you see, it's easy for them to talk a big game, but when it's THEIR money on the line, it's suprising how they run out of things to say.

sigpic

Comment

• Week 3 Pre-season. Chicago Bears at Denver Broncos

The Bears are playing the Broncos this pre-season, and Sunday Night nonetheless and again next year

DENVER BRONCOS 2009 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

Game Opponent TV / Time

Preseason Gm. 1 (Aug. 13-17) at San Francisco................................. KCNC-TV / TBD

Preseason Gm. 2 (Aug. 20-24) at Seattle........................................... ... KCNC-TV / TBD

Preseason Gm. 3 (Sunday, Aug. 30) vs. Chicago....................................... NBC / 6 p.m. MDT

Preseason Gm. 4 (Thursday, Sept. 3) vs. Arizona.............................. KCNC-TV / 7 p.m. MDT
                      sigpic
                      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• Originally posted by Atorre254 View Post
                        Exactly, Kyle Orton has heart! Jay Cutler didn't have that and that's why he is no longer with the broncos. I'm pretty sure Kyle Orton will adjust well under the new system, so i'm pretty excited about this season.
                        i agree, I think Orton will play very good. No body thought Cassell will play good and play he did.
                        :nono: :devil:

Comment

• Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                          The Bears are playing the Broncos this pre-season, and Sunday Night nonetheless and again next year

DENVER BRONCOS 2009 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

Game Opponent TV / Time

Preseason Gm. 1 (Aug. 13-17) at San Francisco................................. KCNC-TV / TBD

Preseason Gm. 2 (Aug. 20-24) at Seattle........................................... ... KCNC-TV / TBD

Preseason Gm. 3 (Sunday, Aug. 30) vs. Chicago....................................... NBC / 6 p.m. MDT

Preseason Gm. 4 (Thursday, Sept. 3) vs. Arizona.............................. KCNC-TV / 7 p.m. MDT
                          If Chicago were smart, they'd sit Cutler in that game.
                          sigpic

Comment

• because we've waited a long time for a good QB to come along and he's just got shipped to the bears for picks. just look at the teams lining up to trade their picks for cutler. we should jsut trade our best player for picks every single year if we value pick over known commodity

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              If Chicago were smart, they'd sit Cutler in that game.
                              Agreed but id love to see D.j Williams or Dawkins give him a nice big sack
                              "Just waiting for the draft"

Kyle Orton Army Fan Club #33

Comment

• From a purely football point of view I am shocked. Shocked enough to register an account and come over and see how you guys were dealing with this. I won't rag on any part of your team but I have to say I am surprised your HC still has a job. Despite your record of late you were probably only one really good draft away from being a real competitor and this happens?

Orton is not a bad guy but he is no cutler and this year's draft class doesn't have much qb talent in it.

What was so wrong about Shanahan that this new guy thinks he needs to erase his influence from this team? I am not getting that. How do you let a number 2 offense with a number 29 defense (which is an incredible feat) lose its center piece? You and the Saints are the same team and they hired a new def coordinator not a new hc. Were you guys initially glad to see Shanahan go?

Comment

Working...
                                X