Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop assuming that this 'system' will turn us around...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oldster View Post
    We had less punts per drive because we gave the ball back through other means prior to a punt. We were among the leagues worst in turnovers, interceptions and fumbles.
    Which is also not a surprise with the way games were played, especially in the second half.

Comment

• The system will help due to the players we have on the roster, I still don't really think we should be copying a team so much...

Comment

• Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
        Which is also not a surprise with the way games were played, especially in the second half.

I'd have to agree although I have nothing to back it up other than a feeble memory. Seems like we would start out strong and sloooooooooooowly fizzle.

Comment

• Originally posted by sntnl View Post
          The system will help due to the players we have on the roster, I still don't really think we should be copying a team so much...
          Do we real know what our system is going to be yet?

Comment

• Well just a guess but offense will run the pass spread which has been so good in NE and I would think for the first year the defense will run 4-3, 3-4 similar to the Ravens and the 9ers.

Comment

• Originally posted by sntnl View Post
              Well just a guess but offense will run the pass spread which has been so good in NE and I would think for the first year the defense will run 4-3, 3-4 similar to the Ravens and the 9ers.

I'm sure there will be similarities but I'm hoping that if a young coach is dynamic he's going to add his own flavor to things.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldster View Post
                I'd have to agree although I have nothing to back it up other than a feeble memory. Seems like we would start out strong and sloooooooooooowly fizzle.
                3rd qtr was pretty bad for most of the season, but I think this may be due to our opponents adjusting to figure out how to best counter our powerful O. If I'm not mistaken, 4th qtr O stats are tops. We had quite a few game winning or tying drives. Our O was often trying to keep us in the games, but as we all know by now, one side can't compensate for the shortcomings of the other. O can't always be flawless, but our D could rarely help.

Comment

• Originally posted by jhns View Post
                  Just imagine if they didn't have to go so far and had a run game to balance the offense. I bet a lot of those mistakes are gone.
                  How far would they have had to go without being 31st in offensive turnovers?

Originally posted by JTC View Post
                  So we know where the average Bronco drive started. Where did the average Bronco drive stop? How many offensive points did that translate to. How many turnovers did the offence have? What was the average starting position of the other team after those turnovers? How much was the average starting position of the Broncos offence and defense affected by the number of turnovers that the offence committed? What were the league wide averages for those same stats? Etc.
                  And what were the running stats? I believe they avearged a 1/2 yard more per rush than did the Chargers. Where did they rank league wide?
                  Belichick stressed Saturday that he errs on the side of caution with NFL rules

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2008

Here we are. Team rushing stats for 2008. Denver is #12 by this system.

edit: more interesting stats. Denver is 12th in total yards due to fewer attempts. Yet they are tied for 2nd in yards per attempt. Sounds like the Broncos have a running game to me.
                    Last edited by JTC; 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Just imagine if they didn't have to go so far and had a run game to balance the offense. I bet a lot of those mistakes are gone.
                      I don't think the starting field position is that big of a deal if you can trust your defense. But with a defense that ranks 31 or 32 in every drive category, there isn't much worth trusting there. Despite knowing how bad our defense was, their drive numbers still surprise me. That was horrendous. The best drive stat our defense had was starting field position. Everything was downhill from there on. It is the defense IMO that caused Cutler to make the risky throw instead of just throwing it away, more so than the league-worst starting field position.

The league-worst field starting field position does go a long way towards explaining the disparity between our #2 ranking in offense yards and #10 ranking in offensive scoring.
                      Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by JTC View Post
                        http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2008

Here we are. Team rushing stats for 2008. Denver is #12 by this system.

edit: more interesting stats. Denver is 12th in total yards due to fewer attempts. Yet they are tied for 2nd in yards per attempt. Sounds like the Broncos have a running game to me.
                        We were also ranked 28th in rushing attempts. In the 2005 season when we went to the AFC Championship game, we were ranked 2nd in rushing attempts. Considering we had a head coach who was known for having one of the best running systems in history, his lack of faith in our running game last year doesn't say much about it. Of course, it could have been one of the league's worst defenses forcing his hand.
                        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                          We were also ranked 28th in rushing attempts. In the 2005 season when we went to the AFC Championship game, we were ranked 2nd in rushing attempts. Considering we had a head coach who was known for having one of the best running systems in history, his lack of faith in our running game last year doesn't say much about it. Of course, it could have been one of the league's worst defenses forcing his hand.
                          So the head coach had little faith in a running game that was 28th in rushing attempts, 12th in total yards and 2nd in yards per attempt? If your 2 choices were the only explanations, I would go with the second option so as not to question the intelligence of the head coach.

Comment

So the head coach had little faith in a running game that was 28th in rushing attempts, 12th in total yards and 2nd in yards per attempt? If your 2 choices were the only explanations, I would go with the second option so as not to question the intelligence of the head coach.
                            Averages always come down the more you rush. Also, we wouldn't have had such a good average without Cutler. Last year teams did not stack the box a lot because of Cutlers arm. That inflated the run game stats.

We did have a good run game at times this season though. I don't think anyone can dispute that. It is the fact that we had to finish the season with a cell phone salesman that killed us. Those last games, which we needed one of, did not go well because noone cared about our run game. They completely stacked against our receivers and that didn't work out so well for our passing game.

Comment

So the head coach had little faith in a running game that was 28th in rushing attempts, 12th in total yards and 2nd in yards per attempt?
                              Yeah. You get it. :thumb:

Comment

Averages always come down the more you rush. Also, we wouldn't have had such a good average without Cutler. Last year teams did not stack the box a lot because of Cutlers arm. That inflated the run game stats.

We did have a good run game at times this season though. I don't think anyone can dispute that. It is the fact that we had to finish the season with a cell phone salesman that killed us. Those last games, which we needed one of, did not go well because noone cared about our run game. They completely stacked against our receivers and that didn't work out so well for our passing game.
                                It looks like the head coach decided to pass the ball on 62% of the seasons offensive plays. Also, by your analogy, the more you pass the ball, the more the passing stats come down. Except for the turnover rate, that tends to go up. Although the running game turnover rate was only slightly better than the passing game turnover rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X