Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop assuming that this 'system' will turn us around...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
    Still don't see the stat. Just a guess.
    Bottom line, we can improve on scoring, something McDaniels has proven to be pretty successful at with his offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
      Offense is not the only side of the ball that scores. ...
      Scoring stats often reflect ST & Defense as well. We were either 10th or 11th in offensive scoring last season. Hardly terrible considering we didn't have the power back getting the tough goal line yards for most of the season and a place kicker that couldn't make anything between 40-49 yards.

It would be interesting to see the defensive scoring stats for our team vs. other teams in the league during that period of time. Not being a stat monger myself, maybe someone can post some supporting data for this.
      Our RB problems became acute mid year.
      Considering the heft of the money and talent went to the Offense to make Jay look good for Shanahan, you can hardly blame the defense for the poor Offensive performance.
      We starved the defense and ST to stack the offense. And we still didn't make the playoffs. But Cutler made the Pro Bowl so all went well as far as some are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples View Post
        Considering the heft of the money and talent went to the Offense to make Jay look good for Shanahan, you can hardly blame the defense for the poor Offensive performance.
        We starved the defense and ST to stack the offense. And we still didn't make the playoffs. But Cutler made the Pro Bowl so all went well as far as some are concerned.
        im pretty sure most of the money went to the defense

Comment

I don't believe all went well. I do, however, believe we overachieved last year. Your points are very valid and I agree with most points other than the premise you present your argument. Shanahan was building around someone he brought in to be our franchise qb. But yes, Defense suffered and when we were plagued with injuries, ST became even worse than they already were.

All I was saying is that the stat that was cited is not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by McKeough View Post
            Look what that virtually identical offense did with Cassell at the helm? Stats that were far from jaw-dropping, missed the playoffs, and weren't spectacular.
            This is where your rant loses all credibility. The Patsies went 11-5. How often is it that an 11-5 team misses the playoffs? I'll give you a hint, it's not very often. The fact that the Patsies went 11-5 and missed the playoffs only illustrates how good the AFC was last year, outside of the AFC West. The fact is, the Patsies were a winning team last year, with a career back up starting at quarterback. The fact that they were not as productive as the year before is completely irrelevant. It is unlikely that they would have been much better if Brady hadn't gotten hurt. Even if they would have been, the bottom line is, they were still a winning team without Brady.
            You Mad Bro?

Comment

While I'm always optimistic about the upcoming season, I'm also a realist...
              maybe not so much. More like a negativity magnet.

We were terrible last year with the exception of our offense, and we have, arguably, gotten worse.
              We needed to balance the team out as you are admitting as well we went nowhere.

We've brought in a bunch of washed-up defensive players who have never been stand out, with the exception of Dawkins. Even then, he's 36 and clearly lost a step.
              Conjecture, opinion, and of course negative. Why not wait to see how they perform on the team before coming to such rigid conclusions?

I wouldn't consider our defense any worse, but I certainly wouldn't consider it any more than marginally better.
              Always optimistic it seems.

Our offense? Well, you're all familiar. We lost one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL (and no, just cause he isn't a Bronco anymore doesn't mean he now sucks) and brought in Orton, who, despite his now Bronco-status, isn't that good. He was in open competition with Rex Grossman and Brian Griese at one point and didn't win. Gives you an idea.

We downgraded HEAVILY at the QB position and our offense will suffer.
              but he did win, and is a winner to this day. Optimistic as always. My opinion is Cutler was not worth having considering his needs, and his performance. Yes he broke Elways records, but it took decimating the Defense and ST to accomplish that.

We added some much needed depth at RB, however, none of them are standout players. We proved last year that we have some quality players at the position (Hillis) and now we're stocked with average at best backs. We're looking at cutting a few because of roster spot issues, so we won't even be keeping them all.
              wow. you're getting as optimistic as ever! You haven't seen the new system, have not seen how these players will adjust to it, and you're condemning them before they get their pads on. Nice.

Now, Josh McDaniels doesn't have some 'magical' system that is going to turn Orton and our offense into something unstoppable. No, this 'system' (a style of offense) worked because of the immense talent on that offense -- not because he's an offensive guru with some magical playbook that the rest of the NFL just doesn't know about.
              And you are basing this expert analysis on what exactly? Because I am just wondering what makes you think you are a superior offensive guru than McDaniels is.

If it was as flawless as some of you make it sound with your predicted stats for Orton next season, EVERY team would be doing it.
              If things were as bleak as you and others make it sound with your predicted doom and gloom you should not watch any of the games.

Look at what that style of offense did with Tom Brady in it. Undefeated season and numerous records. A FRANCHISE quarterback.
              I suppose that's why he was drafted in the 6th round- because EVERYBODY KNEW he was that Franchise QB... or did it have something to do with McDaniels...No, of course not that would illogical...

Look what that virtually identical offense did with Cassell at the helm? Stats that were far from jaw-dropping, missed the playoffs, and weren't spectacular.

Sure, Cassell had a decent year - statically though, Tarvaris Jackson of the Vikings was on track for a better year, and I don't think ANYONE here would consider him a good quarterback.
              Considering it was his first NFL start since High School, I think he and his team did extremely well given the difficulties the team was in losing their FRANCHISE 6th rounder QB.

Sorry for the rant, it's just been a long offseason, and all the people banking on this 'system' to turn Orton into a Pro-Bowl quarterback, and lead us to the playoffs are getting annoying.
              Well, it is as long an off-season as it is every year. And all the Cutler backers/Mcdaniel-Bowlen haters whining and moaning about their baby gone bye-bye and the doom and gloom they spread is getting equally if not more annoying.

We're worse than we were last year. And last year, we were bad.

And there ends the always optimistic post. Hopefully!

Comment

The only thing that's going to really turn this ship around is the defense.

And sadly, we have hardly improved on that unit. It could be a couple years until that defense (with hopeful drafted DE's/DT's) will start being...a real defense.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
                  im pretty sure most of the money went to the defense
                  Pretty sure eh?

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                    The only thing that's going to really turn this ship around is the defense.
                    I'm happy to see you've finally come around to accpeting that the Offense will be just fine even without our baby wonder.

And sadly, we have hardly improved on that unit. It could be a couple years until that defense (with hopeful drafted DE's/DT's) will start being...a real defense.
                    And yes it very well may be a couple of years. At least we are starting and have draft picks to do that with. I don't see how we are any worse off than we were last year where the defense and ST were abhorrent, and the Offense was at the peak of its performance. What would have changed and when if major changes were not made? I will wait to see how they perform in the new system together before drawing any conclusions as to improvements or not. No sense throwing up your hands in the air until then.

Comment

I'm happy to see you've finally come around to accpeting that the Offense will be just fine even without our baby wonder.
                      Well I don't think the offense will be as strong, mainly because we clearly downgraded with our QB position.

It's more like: Nothings really changed or we've gotten worse for next year.

The offense was what kept us in games last year, and the defense was the unit to point the finger at.

Next year could be brutal. With a new system and a lesser quarterback trying to keep us in ball games (with a brutal schedule), it doesn't look as bright as it did with Jay. Not to mention the defense hasn't really gotten better... whether some people want to look at the REAL picture on defense and realize that the front seven is utter crap.

Now if those draft picks actually PAN out and give us some quality playmakers 3 threes down the line, then it will be a nice trade.

But next year? I think it's going to be tough... and that's without the orange colored glasses/ Jay Cutler gayism.

Comment

dont yall think we will be a more balanced team this year?with defense first with the draft, and all the free agent sighnings,we should be equally balanced this year more than last year.so what if cutler was a great fantasy QB last year,i want to win games!Bring Plummer back

Comment

Originally posted by bmexg View Post
                          dont yall think we will be a more balanced team this year?with defense first with the draft, and all the free agent sighnings,we should be equally balanced this year more than last year.so what if cutler was a great fantasy QB last year,i want to win games!Bring Plummer back
                          Hopefully we'll be more balanced. Hell, especially on defense I hope.

It all rides on those draft picks really, and how well some of the guys can transition to the 3-4.

We better go D-line early in the draft.... And still with those guys selected, it takes a long time for a DL member to actually "get" the NFL game because their is a large learning curve for that position.

The defense needs to improve, or we'll be almost worse than last year.

Comment

Originally posted by bmexg View Post
                            No thanks, I'll take my chances with Orton. :salute!:

Comment

While I'm always optimistic about the upcoming season, I'm also a realist...

We were terrible last year with the exception of our offense, and we have, arguably, gotten worse.

We've brought in a bunch of washed-up defensive players who have never been stand out, with the exception of Dawkins. Even then, he's 36 and clearly lost a step.

I wouldn't consider our defense any worse, but I certainly wouldn't consider it any more than marginally better.

Our offense? Well, you're all familiar. We lost one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL (and no, just cause he isn't a Bronco anymore doesn't mean he now sucks) and brought in Orton, who, despite his now Bronco-status, isn't that good. He was in open competition with Rex Grossman and Brian Griese at one point and didn't win. Gives you an idea.

We downgraded HEAVILY at the QB position and our offense will suffer.

We added some much needed depth at RB, however, none of them are standout players. We proved last year that we have some quality players at the position (Hillis) and now we're stocked with average at best backs. We're looking at cutting a few because of roster spot issues, so we won't even be keeping them all.

Other than that, our team is pretty much intact from last season.

Now, Josh McDaniels doesn't have some 'magical' system that is going to turn Orton and our offense into something unstoppable. No, this 'system' (a style of offense) worked because of the immense talent on that offense -- not because he's an offensive guru with some magical playbook that the rest of the NFL just doesn't know about.

If it was as flawless as some of you make it sound with your predicted stats for Orton next season, EVERY team would be doing it.

Look at what that style of offense did with Tom Brady in it. Undefeated season and numerous records. A FRANCHISE quarterback.

Sure, Cassell had a decent year - statically though, Tarvaris Jackson of the Vikings was on track for a better year, and I don't think ANYONE here would consider him a good quarterback.

Sorry for the rant, it's just been a long offseason, and all the people banking on this 'system' to turn Orton into a Pro-Bowl quarterback, and lead us to the playoffs are getting annoying.

We're worse than we were last year. And last year, we were bad.

Yet another Bronco "fan" that firmly believes games are won and lost on paper, and actual coaching decisions and player development is non existent.

Comment

Pretty sure eh?
                                yeah im pretty sure mr.pro infedel

dre bly
                                champ bailey
                                dewayne robertson
                                boss bailey
                                niko koutevides
                                marlon mccree
                                jarvis moss
                                john engleberger
                                Ekuban

were part of the highest paid players for denver last year. and what side do they all play?

and DJ williams got a nice new contract as well.

Besides Hamilton, Stokely, and nalen, most of our offense was on cheaper rookie contracts.

why do you think when we cut our entire defense, we all of the sudden got a lot of cap room?

Comment

Working...
                                X