Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowlen: "Some other teams have done similar things, hiring younger coaches".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compare Baltimore

The Baltimore Ravens succeeded last year with a new coach because they had a talented GM and talented defensive coordinator who carried over. The new coach came in and changed expectations, but did not undermine anyone. Sure, some players have now moved on, but not because of inept handling by the coach.

Baltimore had a strong defense in 2007, it just had lots of injuries and needed some minor retooling. Without belittling prior efforts on offense, new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron introduced some innovative play calling and used the personnel he had, with the help of the draft, to turn the offense around. On special teams, a new placekicker was brought in to do kickoffs, saving Matt Stover's leg for clutch kicks.

You can bring in young coaching if they respect what was there before and not be disruptive. From what I see, Denver's new coach has shown little respect to anything that happened before him. That's odd because Mike Shanahan was as successful at beating New England as just about any coach. We will see about the new coach's brilliant new systems. I don't understand why the new coach continues to trash the offense that was there before him when it was obvious that the running back situation deteriorated badly due to injuries. On special teams, why replace Mike Leach with someone whose major difference is allegiance to the new coach?

Maybe the new coach will prove us wrong, that it was wise to shake the team out of complacency. Make no mistake, however, that some good players came to the Broncos due to the efforts of Mike Shanahan, and some good offensive strategy, and it would be really silly to waste the talent and experience with the old offensive system that is still here.

Comment

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
      Plummer was a great QB at ASU though. Didn't they go undefeated one season?
      Matt Lienart and Reggie Bush were awesome in college too. Both are busts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hockey Guy View Post
        The Baltimore Ravens succeeded last year with a new coach because they had a talented GM and talented defensive coordinator who carried over. The new coach came in and changed expectations, but did not undermine anyone. Sure, some players have now moved on, but not because of inept handling by the coach.

Baltimore had a strong defense in 2007, it just had lots of injuries and needed some minor retooling. Without belittling prior efforts on offense, new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron introduced some innovative play calling and used the personnel he had, with the help of the draft, to turn the offense around. On special teams, a new placekicker was brought in to do kickoffs, saving Matt Stover's leg for clutch kicks.

You can bring in young coaching if they respect what was there before and not be disruptive. From what I see, Denver's new coach has shown little respect to anything that happened before him. That's odd because Mike Shanahan was as successful at beating New England as just about any coach. We will see about the new coach's brilliant new systems. I don't understand why the new coach continues to trash the offense that was there before him when it was obvious that the running back situation deteriorated badly due to injuries. On special teams, why replace Mike Leach with someone whose major difference is allegiance to the new coach?

Maybe the new coach will prove us wrong, that it was wise to shake the team out of complacency. Make no mistake, however, that some good players came to the Broncos due to the efforts of Mike Shanahan, and some good offensive strategy, and it would be really silly to waste the talent and experience with the old offensive system that is still here.
        Inept handling by the coach? I don't recall Cutler being the pillar of reason in the situation. I do recall Cutler threatening that his offensive coordinator better stay via the media. How about the inept handling by the QB?

You use Baltimore as an example of a young coach who "respected what was there before." Then you point out that he brought in Cam Cameron to turn around the offense essentially insalling his system. Isn't that the same thing as McDaniels letting Bates go to install his sytem?

Yes, Mike Shanahan has had success beating New England in the past but I recall last year when McDaniel's "system" blasted Shanahan 41-7 with a career backup QB at the helm.

I'm ready to give McDaniels a chance...even without a super star QB.

Comment

It is just my opinion, but I've felt deep down inside that McD does not like or respect Shanahann at all. You can hear it in the way he speaks about our history or records and refers to our previous staff as "they" in a similar fashion that he calls Cutler "the player". I do not feel that he loves the Broncos like we do. I view him as a similar specimen to Lane Kiffin. It is a job and he wants to succeed, a bit of an over achiever. I just hope it translates to wins, but I feel he's in over his head. His ego is bigger than this team and when he's gone, we'll still be left holding the bag of crap and tarnished reputation that he left us with. It's pretty unsettling for me.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post

Yes, Mike Shanahan has had success beating New England in the past but I recall last year when McDaniel's "system" blasted Shanahan 41-7 with a career backup QB at the helm.
            Did you watch the game? Cutler injured his hand on one of the first plays of the game and when Champ went out, it left Moss open the rest of the game. Oh yeah, that was Shanahan's fault. That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
              now we have a smart QB who knows when to checkdown (probably cutlers worst tendency, would NOT check down) and a lot of extra picks. this could be a good couple of years
              HAHA a couple of weeks ago most of these fools didn't even know who Orton was...and now he's suddenly morphed into a "smart QB". This is called irrational justification of incompetency...in other words, DENIAL.

"This could be a good couple of years." Wow, do you feel the same way about the economy? Because right now I'd put my money on the economy over this Orton-led mess.
              http://timtebowtime.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
                It is just my opinion, but I've felt deep down inside that McD does not like or respect Shanahann at all. You can hear it in the way he speaks about our history or records and refers to our previous staff as "they" in a similar fashion that he calls Cutler "the player". I do not feel that he loves the Broncos like we do. I view him as a similar specimen to Lane Kiffin. It is a job and he wants to succeed, a bit of an over achiever. I just hope it translates to wins, but I feel he's in over his head. His ego is bigger than this team and when he's gone, we'll still be left holding the bag of crap and tarnished reputation that he left us with. It's pretty unsettling for me.

I hope he proves me wrong.
                I agree. Let's see if the new coach gets results like the prior coach did when he took over the reins.

Comment

We should have gone and got Lane Kiffen

Hes a Shanny mold... eg. hates/has been fired from Raiders lol

Comment

Originally posted by sntnl View Post
                    We should have gone and got Lane Kiffen

Hes a Shanny mold... eg. hates/has been fired from Raiders lol
                    Any Raider hater is cool in my book. LOL.

But in all seriousness, when Al Davis came out at the press conference after he fired Lane Kiffin looking all crazy, well, we thought he was crazy. But as time went on, a lot of what Al Davis said was true. Then, for a brief second, I thought, "maybe Al is not as crazy as I thought?" But it was only a brief second!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                      Matt Lienart and Reggie Bush were awesome in college too. Both are busts.
                      Uh, you definitely can not say that Lienart is a bust.

And Reggie Bush isn't a bust.. He is great in special teams, and as a receiver out of the backfield. Personally I don't think he is used properly in NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
                        Uh, you definitely can not say that Lienart is a bust.

And Reggie Bush isn't a bust.. He is great in special teams, and as a receiver out of the backfield. Personally I don't think he is used properly in NO.
                        Everytime a start was handed to Leinart, he puked all over himself.

Drafting a RB where NO drafted him, and having him be successful in ST and receiver is DEFINITELY a bust.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Any Atlanta Fans?

I wonder if there are any Atlanta fans on this board who could tell us Mike Smith's successful approach to turning around that team. Whenever I listen to Mike on the radio, I sense a genuinely humble, caring guy. I wonder how he handled the transition from the former team to his new era?

Comment

From what I see, Denver's new coach has shown little respect to anything that happened before him.
                            I don't understand why the new coach continues to trash the offense that was there before him

I don't think he trashed the O. He left what is the most important and underrated part of the team intact. The O line is in place along with the coaching. So to say Mcd did not respect what the Broncos did before is not entirely correct. Even went as far as to say the the ZB will be used this year also.

This year is going to be interesting for sure. I can't wait for the first snap. Even preseason is going to be interesting this year. I bet the starters will play all four games this year.

sigpic

Comment

Plummer took AZ to the Playoffs to when he had Rod Moore as a receiver he was not bad. Look whats done is done. Are d has had holes since we lost al wilson an our peronel were no doing well to chane it. Heck Shanny getting the power of GM got him into this mess. Bowlen need to hire someone like Parcels to oversee team development because givin it to a coach is askin for trouble. Are special teams last year was horrible as usual we needed a change and gettin a well known defensive head coach like Jim Bates made an above average d into what it is today. Still Nolan will focus on impoving our LB core which we need to do and in denver i think a strong lb core is better for us because at this elevation less big men is better unfortunately in the 3-4 you increAse the size of the line

Also reading the initial post it sounds like u think our new coach came from Pitt not NE
                              Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 04-16-2009, 05:52 AM.
                              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Could you imagine what would have happened if Tomlin came in and said...

eh, I cant work with this Polomalu guy... I want to trade him.
                                or
                                eh, this Rothlisberger guy.... he is decent but doesnt fit my system.

Comment

Working...
                                X