Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowlen: "Some other teams have done similar things, hiring younger coaches".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogbyte
    replied
    Let's see, we had a 3 game lead and lost the division to San Diego. We looked like garbage for most of the season with a QB who thought that he was above everything. Who knows if McD will succeed but we know that Shanny had not been able to for 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• broncoinseattle
    replied
    Two necessities for a Superbowl

I won't disagree that Cutler is thin-skinned. Maybe even a whiner. But it's likely he is a franchise QB. Look at the Super Bowl winners over the last 10-15 years. They all had two things in common: Great QB's and a great coaching staff. We just dumped our QB that was on his way to being an elite player and the offensive coaching staff that yielded the #2 offense in the league. But maybe we'll trade up to get Sanchez. Who knows?

Leave a comment:

• dragster69
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    And here's why:

1. Quaterback play and Running Back play are directly linked to the play of the O-line... We have one of the best lines in the game. Is Orton as gifted as Cutler no... But talent is relative in a team sport. Hell Cutler is a faster runner and has a stronger arm then Brady... That's fact. But Brady is known as one of the best QB's to ever play the game. I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that his O-line (execpt for the SB) kept him on his feet. Think about this... Brady's wonder season of 50tds 8ints and 4,800yards even if Orton is only 1/2 as good as Brady with similar weapons and an O-line that might even be better... But for argument sake we'll say it's only as good. That would give Orton with a season of 25tds 4ints and 2,400yards... I know for sure that would equal at least 8 wins

2. Special Teams have plain sucked the last few years... McDainiels understands the importance of all three aspects... Something Shanny (who I loved) seemed to neglect.

3. Our defense is already improved over last year and that's without our draft...

I'm excited for the season and like the new direction.
    4. Running backs contribution. It's not just Oron. Our running backs will have a big role on our offense this year, so you could tack at least 8-10 TD's to the offense totals. I think the power game JMD envisions may include a lot of short yard running plays in the red zone

Leave a comment:

• Acedude
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoinseattle View Post
    Does anyone else feel extremely uncomfortable with the events that have transpired since McDaniels was hired? Bowlen hired a young inexperienced coach because that was proven where? Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh was a well-oiled machine well before Tomlin arrived. They didn't blow up the coaching staff when he arrived nor did they have to restructure the organization. Tomlin was brought in to provide leadership not revamp the organization. But in the case of McDaniels it's apparent that Bowlen is giving him more lattitude then even Tomlin has. If Bowlen is going to tell Cutler "he is the man" and then entertain a trade offer how is it a surprise that Cutler was upset. If Cutler was "the man" then Bowlen should have told McDaniels to forget about the Cassel trade. Anyone else concerned that the Broncos are giving McDaniels too much responsibility? He's blown up the coaching staff and run off the quarterback. I can't feel good about that in the least.
    Maybe if you had the facts straight you wouldn't feel so uncomfortable. If that idiot Cutler actually thought he was in a position of power because Bowlen tried to give him some props and oil the waters some in the first presser after Shanny was fired, well, Cutler was an idiot.

And good riddance to Jay. He whined his way out of town, and I'm happy to not have a whiner for a QB.

Leave a comment:

• Coachbozo
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncsSB#3 View Post
    How did we start grading Orton by using Brady's numbers? Orton has yet to have 3,000 yards or 20 tds in a season. Why don't we use his actual numbers rather than dividing Brady's or Manning's or any other top QB's numbers.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

OK here's the numbers;

Since his return, Orton threw eight touchdowns, and eight interceptions, including ratings of 39.1 against Minnesota, 49.2 against New Orleans, and 48.7 against Green Bay.[8]

Ortons last 8 games

Leave a comment:

• Broncos_in_CA
    replied
    Remember Reeves-Elway Feud

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    If the basis of you being a fan is determined by the outcome of a feud between a coach and a player then you never were a true fan of the Broncos in the first place.:go:
    You OBVIOUSLY don't remember the Reeves-Elway feud.

Guess who got sent away by the FO and who won a couple of SB's?

At least Reeves had a winning record with the Broncos, 110-73-1, 7-6 in playoffs. McD is 0-0, 0-0.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos_in_CA
    replied
    We don't have a "couple of years" and neither does McD

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post

now we have a smart QB who knows when to checkdown (probably cutlers worst tendency, would NOT check down) and a lot of extra picks. this could be a good couple of years
    A couple of years???

I don't think so.

It is PLAYOFFS or bust!

The FO is out $20M with Shanny's dismissal.

The team traded away THE franchise QB (ever wonder why Chicago gave up so much and EVERYONE else was interested, duh?)

There is tons of pressure on McD.

He has 2 years, max. Based on what was given up, Anything less than PLAYOFFS would be considered by FO and me as a bust.

Leave a comment:

• 80stheman
    replied
    I like the comment about the success of former assistant coaches from the Patriots. Let's see, Crennel, Weis, Mangini.....and now McDaniels. And while we're at it, let's run off our quarterback because this rookie coach knows what he's doing!! I'm sorry folks, I am trying to let it go.....honest.
    Good point. It seems the only way the Patriots system works is if the HC cheats. Crennel, Weis and Mangini tried it the honest way and it hasn't been successful. I know I'll get some flak for that, but face it Pats fans, Belechick cheated.

Leave a comment:

• 80stheman
    replied
    Does anyone else feel extremely uncomfortable with the events that have transpired since McDaniels was hired? Bowlen hired a young inexperienced coach because that was proven where? Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh was a well-oiled machine well before Tomlin arrived. They didn't blow up the coaching staff when he arrived nor did they have to restructure the organization. Tomlin was brought in to provide leadership not revamp the organization. But in the case of McDaniels it's apparent that Bowlen is giving him more lattitude then even Tomlin has. If Bowlen is going to tell Cutler "he is the man" and then entertain a trade offer how is it a surprise that Cutler was upset. If Cutler was "the man" then Bowlen should have told McDaniels to forget about the Cassel trade. Anyone else concerned that the Broncos are giving McDaniels too much responsibility? He's blown up the coaching staff and run off the quarterback. I can't feel good about that in the least.
    You need to read more of these posts, and you'll discover that, yes, there are a lot of Bronco fans that feel the same as you. I happen to agree with everything you said. I've said this before and I'll say it again (for the people who say we're too negative), just because we don't like the new HC doesn't mean we're not Bronco fans.
    Last edited by 80stheman; 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncoinseattle
    replied
    Analysis of the team

I'll have something positive to say after the draft hopefully. But I don't have rose-colored sunny-eyed optimism that getting rid of Cutler and blowing up the second rated offense was a good move. Orton is not the long-term solution in my opinion. The whole point of these discussion boards is for fans to talk about their team and voice their opinions. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. :go:

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    I like the comment about the success of former assistant coaches from the Patriots. Let's see, Crennel, Weis, Mangini.....and now McDaniels. And while we're at it, let's run off our quarterback because this rookie coach knows what he's doing!! I'm sorry folks, I am trying to let it go.....honest.
    Then say something positive for once.......

Another "diarrhea of the mouth" incident and you'll get a strike 3 call.:go:
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• broncoinseattle
    replied
    Another Patriot Assistant

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Originally posted by the-shuffler View Post
    Could you imagine what would have happened if Tomlin came in and said...

eh, I cant work with this Polomalu guy... I want to trade him.
    or
    eh, this Rothlisberger guy.... he is decent but doesnt fit my system.
    But you haaaaaaave to follow the coach. You haaaaaaaaaaaave to agree with him, even if you like it or not.

/sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• it'sjustagame
    replied
    Qb's that are drafted #8 are expected to start in the third year not as the other poster said puke all over himself. So yes he is a bust

#2 draft picks are supposed to be franchise talents not ST and pass catchers outta the backfield so yes he is a bust also

Leave a comment:

• Artamentous
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Everytime a start was handed to Leinart, he puked all over himself.

Drafting a RB where NO drafted him, and having him be successful in ST and receiver is DEFINITELY a bust.
    Not all QB's get it right away. Leinart had a pro-bowler and top QB behind him so his leash has been pretty short.

As for NO, I really dont' think Bush is a bust. ST TD's that he brings to the table, and the fact that he is a horrible mis-match coming out of the backfield are both very valuable things in the NFL. Like I said though, I don't think NO uses him properly, and I think he was way over-hyped since his style of play does not translate into a typical NFL RB. Definitely not a bust though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X