Steeler fan here on the Orton/Cutler deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steeler fan here on the Orton/Cutler deal

Hi guys. I am Bryant and am a Steeler fan. I didn't come here to gloat or anything like that. I simply came to give my opinion as an outsider looking in on the Cutler/Orton trade. I happened to catch a couple of Bears games on NFL replay here recently and the awful offensive scheme they have makes the Cowher era Steelers look like "the Spread." They were extremely predictable and the receivers didn't have much talent (though as Hester matures, he may become a good receiver.) Given what Orton had to work with, I think he did a good job. He probably will never be quite what Cutler could have become as a Denver QB, but I honestly think the guy could be a good QB.
    Now I am not trying to sound like some guru who knows more than anyone else. I am nothing more than a reasonably educated fan. However, I know when it is YOUR team that has some major changes occur, it gets tough to look at things from a true perspective as I have been there myself. Good luck to you until you Nov. 9. Of course I hope we kick your butts then.

Bryant

Originally posted by bryant View Post
    Good luck to you until you Nov. 9. Of course I hope we kick your butts then.

Don't worry you will

Comment

Originally posted by DrewB View Post
      Don't worry you will
      ha ha ha ha! That smiley, or crying face just cracks me up everytime!

Comment

Originally posted by DrewB View Post
        Don't worry you will
        thats what we all said on sunday night in 2007.

Comment

Now that is a fair assesment. I actually do think we might have a good QB but to be honest I havent seen much to be impressed. He could be like Pennington who just needed a change in venue to flurish. However I just cant get over the fact that even on a team with no line no receivers it is bad to have just as many td's as int's because its not good decision making that made cutler a bad qb when it came down to it yes he was athletic but he was overconfident and tried to force plays.
          2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Hi Bryant,

first of all congrats on your team's Superbowl win!

It's always interesting to hear the opinion from an outsider and I think that you're right with the fact that Orton did a nice job with the WR he had in Chicago. The WR situation and the O-Line in Chicago are going to be the big tests for Cutler... as we've seen in Denver, Cutler loves to do bad decisions when he is under pressure. If you keep in mind that he made many stupid decisions with a ProBowl-type O-Line in Denver, he's going to have fun with the extra pressure in Chicago PLUS WRs like Royal and Stokley helped Cutler a lot to make a good play out of a bad QB-decision.
            I don't want this to sound like that I wish Cutler to fail, maybe he will step up in Chicago and surprise us all (like: 'Why didn't he play in Denver like that??'), but I think that Cutler might get a hard time in Chicago and pretty soon will regret his childish behaviour.
            Kyle Orton is a good QB and maybe McD can help him to step up to a next level, but I think I'm not going to think too much about Orton until Draft Day is over... after all those firings, trades, etc., I would not be surprised if there are more changes to come at QB.
            sigpic

BRING BACK ORANGE!!

Comment

To be honest i want to see te bears not draft an o line the old addage reap what you sue comes to mind. I am not a fan of Oton but he was under appreciated in Chicago

Also Next years qb class honestly looks better so if we are going to need a new franchise qb lets wait and see and we will be all the better

I just wish simms wasnt our back up i dont see him as having much value
              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by bryant View Post
                Hi guys. I am Bryant and am a Steeler fan. I didn't come here to gloat or anything like that. I simply came to give my opinion as an outsider looking in on the Cutler/Orton trade. I happened to catch a couple of Bears games on NFL replay here recently and the awful offensive scheme they have makes the Cowher era Steelers look like "the Spread." They were extremely predictable and the receivers didn't have much talent (though as Hester matures, he may become a good receiver.) Given what Orton had to work with, I think he did a good job. He probably will never be quite what Cutler could have become as a Denver QB, but I honestly think the guy could be a good QB.
                Now I am not trying to sound like some guru who knows more than anyone else. I am nothing more than a reasonably educated fan. However, I know when it is YOUR team that has some major changes occur, it gets tough to look at things from a true perspective as I have been there myself. Good luck to you until you Nov. 9. Of course I hope we kick your butts then.

Bryant
                Thank you Bryant, and welcome to the board.

I don't know why so many on this board are down on Orton. When I see what
                he accomplished, in his second year as starter, with a high ankle sprain the
                second half of the season, rather ordinary receivers, and a less than ideal
                O-line, I am pleased to see him here, and I believe he will be good QB for us.

-----

Comment

Nothing against the OP, but I get a chuckle anytime a fan of another team comes on to give their assesment of Orton. Is it that obvious that Broncoland as a whole is devistated with the loss of Cutler?

It always seems to be a fan from a team who has a franchise QB too. Whether it be the Steelers, Chargers, Chicago (now has ours). They all say things like, "I think you'll be suprised by what Orton can do." But in the back of their mind I'm sure they are saying, "I sure am glad my team isn't going into the great unknown with Kyle Orton when we had a clear franchise QB last year. Those Bronco fans must be nervous."

I don't blame McDaniels or the F.O. for how things turned out. I think Cutler went out of his way to make sure he was gone. However, I sure would like the past couple months back. I was starting to really like watching him play. Hopefully Kyle Orton becomes fun to watch. Nothing about him excites me enough to buy sunday ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                    Nothing against the OP, but I get a chuckle anytime a fan of another team comes on to give their assesment of Orton. Is it that obvious that Broncoland as a whole is devistated with the loss of Cutler?

It always seems to be a fan from a team who has a franchise QB too. Whether it be the Steelers, Chargers, Chicago (now has ours). They all say things like, "I think you'll be suprised by what Orton can do." But in the back of their mind I'm sure they are saying, "I sure am glad my team isn't going into the great unknown with Kyle Orton when we had a clear franchise QB last year. Those Bronco fans must be nervous."

I don't blame McDaniels or the F.O. for how things turned out. I think Cutler went out of his way to make sure he was gone. However, I sure would like the past couple months back. I was starting to really like watching him play. Hopefully Kyle Orton becomes fun to watch. Nothing about him excites me enough to buy sunday ticket.
                    Sorry but Cutlers not a franchise QB. thats the problem the kool aid is soo good that people just cant let go.

Franchise QBs take responsibility and show leadership .Jay has yet to do those things . hes not one yet and so everytime someone tries to put him in that category thats where the problem comes from because there is nothing to back up that claim but a lot of passing yards.
                    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83 :logo: :smug:

Comment

Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post
                      Sorry but Cutlers not a franchise QB. thats the problem the kool aid is soo good that people just cant let go.

Franchise QBs take responsibility and show leadership .Jay has yet to do those things . hes not one yet and so everytime someone tries to put him in that category thats where the problem comes from because there is nothing to back up that claim but a lot of passing yards.
                      All these NFL GM's and coaches must not be as smart as you. Seeing as how there were reportedly 10+ teams that looked into Cutler after his trade value was set at 2 first round picks. Oh, and the fact that he went for even more than that. I would say the NFL views him as a franchise QB.

Comment

Cuter IS a franchise QB.

You don't build an offense around a guy, if you don't consider him long term solution.

Too bad that #2 offense only needed a couple more years to gel together... They could have done some amazing things.

Comment

Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post

I understand Cutler shows a lack of leadership and since he's no longer on my team I hope he NEVER grows up. However, I think he's a young talent that could have been amazing in this organization for a long time to come. It's over now, he was immature and showed that over and over again in the past couple months. He reminded me why pro athletes annoy me. Too much ego.

I'm waiting for a QB with Cutler's ability and Plummer's laid back Honda Element lifestyle. That would be a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                            I'm waiting for a QB with Cutler's ability and Plummer's laid back Honda Element lifestyle. That would be a breath of fresh air.
                            Well, Orton drives a Prius - does that help?
                            "That's a crap question."
                            - Kyle Orton

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                              All these NFL GM's and coaches must not be as smart as you. Seeing as how there were reportedly 10+ teams that looked into Cutler after his trade value was set at 2 first round picks. Oh, and the fact that he went for even more than that. I would say the NFL views him as a franchise QB.
                              Does he has the potential to be one ? YES But hes not a franchise QB yet because franchise QBs are given responsibility for how well their teams do and as of this time Cutlers problems are still blamed on those around him .

With the Broncos its the defense although the defense was good enough for them to have a 3 game lead in the division ?

Now hes on the bears and you notice no one is saying how this makes the Bears SB favs or even division conference favs even though they supposedly have a top defense and STs . Now they are saying they have to protect him and he needs someone to throw to. But wait wouldnt any QB need those and if thats the case why is Orton judged so harshly if he didnt have those things while in Chicago ?

Considering that the bears had a shot at the division title and the wildcard on the final Sunday of the year how is these people around the nfl saying Cutler gives them a good chance to win the division makes them a franchise QB.

Its all potential until he shows the mental toughness and leadership abilities to get a team through adversity and into playoffs.
                              "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83 :logo: :smug:

Comment

Working...
                              X