• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTA Update

Great report on the main site!
    http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...sing-out-camp/

Here are some of the more interesting observations

Coach McDaniels has certainly taken a hands-on approach for the first three practices. Not only has he rotated from position group to position group, he’s also gotten involved in some of the drills. He lined up as a defensive back to make sure the receivers were running crisp routes, and even tried to slap the ball away from running backs to stress ball control as they finished up a drill.

Orton and Simms split the repetitions evenly throughout Sunday’s practice

Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4. He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far — during 7-on-7 drills he read a route the whole way, jumped it and returned an interception to the endzone, which resulted in plenty of shouting from the defensive sideline.

A few new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.

“It was kind of shocking at first, but to see (Dumervil) drop out of there, him and Tim Crowder, to be able to drop back, they look like linebackers out there like they’ve been doing it for years,” Woodyard said. “So it’s been a pretty good fit for those guys.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its great to finally hear some real football news. Its great to hear that Woodyard's talent is being recognized and that Dumervil and Crowder are looking good at linebacker...no word on Moss though

Crowder at LB. *** They guy was like 280 or 290 coming out of college. I thought he would make a great 3-4 DE.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow that last bit about Crowder and DOOM has got me pumped for the season can you imagine someone Crowders size just coming off the edge and knockin Phillip Rivers into the snow at Mile High that would make the season for me (mayb a winning record aswell).

Is there any news on Moss and how he finds the new system

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
        Crowder at LB. *** They guy was like 280 or 290 coming out of college. I thought he would make a great 3-4 DE.
        Crowder is 6-4 275 which is pretty much identical to OLB's like Merriman and Ware. I'm not saying he'll play at that level, but just that he's at a good size for a 3-4 OLB. Also if you compare his combine numbers to guys like Orakpo, Ayers, Maybin, ETC... he blows them all out of the water.

I'm very excited to see how Crowder, DOOM, and hopefully Moss transition to OLB. I dont think OLB is as big of need as most do.

Comment

The part about Woodyard is exciting to me. That guy just makes plays and tackles and he needs to be on the field somewhere.

Comment

Sounds like Micro-Managing. I wonder how long that honeymoon will last.
            Understand that I am a Bears fan but also that I have followed Orton's career. His ability to improve himself makes him a very easy guy to cheer for. I am here because I will continue to cheer for Orton unless his success interferes with the success of the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by psychobear View Post
              A helluva a lot longer than the Cutler/Bears honeymoon. I love Jay, he's a great QB and i wish him the best. But with the Bears aging defense, pathetic receivers, and even worse O-line i would not be expecting much if i was a Chicago fan

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                A helluva a lot longer than the Cutler/Bears honeymoon. I love Jay, he's a great QB and i wish him the best. But with the Bears aging defense, pathetic receivers, and even worse O-line i would not be expecting much if i was a Chicago fan

Yikes. Sorry man I thought you guys would be able to see the action for what it is. However the fact that I am a Bears fan must clearly make me wrong as the observation is just way off...

I mean... a head coach playing the DB... no... that's not micro-managing at ALL!
                Understand that I am a Bears fan but also that I have followed Orton's career. His ability to improve himself makes him a very easy guy to cheer for. I am here because I will continue to cheer for Orton unless his success interferes with the success of the Bears.

Comment

Yikes. Sorry man I thought you guys would be able to see the action for what it is. However the fact that I am a Bears fan must clearly make me wrong as the observation is just way off...

I mean... a head coach playing the DB... no... that's not micro-managing at ALL!
                  Nothing wrong with a coach taking a hands on approach.

I think Bears fans need to "see the action for what it is" Cutler is not some God send/saviour for the Bears. I really dont think you guys know what you're getting.

Cutler is a good QB with the potential to be great. But like i said, With an aging defense, a bad receiving core, and an even worse O-line I would not expect much from the Bears this season.

Your're expectations are waaayyy too high for cutler, for this year anyway.
                  Last edited by Den615; 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

At least learn a little something about football before you talk...

It's not micro-managing it's coaching... Remember when the Bucs beat the Raiders in the Superbowl? Well Gruden played... Yeah that's right PLAYED QB in the practices leading up to the superbowl to help as you put it "micro-manage" or as the rest of the world would refer to it as "coach" his defense on what to expect from Rich Gannon.

The bears are a proud franchise they don't need fair weather fans like you...

Comment

Do you think that maybe he's just being a good head coach?

Perhaps he's just a new head coach that wants the players to understand that he's on their side. Perhaps that's his way of developing s rapport with the players. Maybe it's just a sound coaching technique that helps him observe the receivers. You have no proof or a legitimate reason to say that he's micro-managing. He's the head coach and it's his job to make sure all aspects of the team are on track.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                        Nothing wrong with a coach taking a hands on approach.

I think Bears fans need to "see the action for what it is" Cutler is not some God send/saviour for the Bears. I really dont think you guys know what you're getting.

Cutler is a good QB with the potential to be great. But like i said, With an aging defense, a bad receiving core, and an even worse O-line I would not expect much from the Bears this season.

Your're expectations are waaayyy to high for cutler, for this year anyway.
                        You say to-mah-to, I say to-may-to. You say hands on, I say micromanaging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement

I guess "hands on" is a bit more PC.

I don't know why you are bringing the Bears into this. There is a completely different forum for discussion of the Bears. Also, please don't say that my expectations are way to high for Cutler. I don't recall discussing my expectations with you.

I'm just saying... thus far everything he has done has seemed to be micromanaging the team. I would be concerned about the negative consequences.

I think it's kinda funny that you are bringing up our WR's like yours are so superior. You know why? Because they are better than our WR's and yet one of the first things you new head coach decided is that he needed to play the role of CB to help improve them. Does that sound like an efficient use of his time? Is that the area of the team he needs to be "hands on" with?

But yeah... he's got a plan.
                        Step 1... Trade Cutler.
                        Step 2... work directly with the recivers and get them up to speed

What's step 3? Give the defense the summer off?

Comment

Pretty good read ....

I have thought the players at DE in limbo because of the 3-4 transition made OLB not as great as need as some others on here not until we see what happens with them this year...Reading the op it seems that DL is the focus of the draft imo I would not be surprised at all to see the Broncos go up to 4 picks in the draft at DL ....including high value picks in the first three rounds....

I like what I was reading about Woodyard the guy showed all kinds of promise and one would think a well coached team could find a way to keep him on the roster at using either the 4-3 and 3-4 scheme....

I cant wait until more of these mc and tc reports start to pour in...
                          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

When it comes down to it, I think most coaches are micro managers. They have to be. The honeymoon will last as long as the players see progress and it doesn't become stale (imo).

With that I like what Brian Dawkins said in his interview about the way the gameplan is always adjusting. I think thats happening in practice also. If he's seeing something he doesn't like then he's going to address the issue now. Sept is not the time to address route running with the receivers.

I think a good quote to take from his interview about why he's micro managing now is, "Were putting in the work now, in order to win in Sept." If that means making sure routes are correct then so be it.

sigpic

Comment

You say to-mah-to, I say to-may-to. You say hands on, I say micromanaging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement

I guess "hands on" is a bit more PC.

I don't know why you are bringing the Bears into this. There is a completely different forum for discussion of the Bears. Also, please don't say that my expectations are way to high for Cutler. I don't recall discussing my expectations with you.

I'm just saying... thus far everything he has done has seemed to be micromanaging the team. I would be concerned about the negative consequences.

I think it's kinda funny that you are bringing up our WR's like yours are so superior. You know why? Because they are better than our WR's and yet one of the first things you new head coach decided is that he needed to play the role of CB to help improve them. Does that sound like an efficient use of his time? Is that the area of the team he needs to be "hands on" with?

But yeah... he's got a plan.
                              Step 1... Trade Cutler.
                              Step 2... work directly with the recivers and get them up to speed

What's step 3? Give the defense the summer off?
                              We (broncos fans) were having a discussion about our OTA's, and you just came in bashing the coach's approach, so I brought up the bears because you're obviously trolling. you have more than enough to worry about with the many problems the bears have. The sad thing is you wont even be able to address those problems now that you gave away you're draft picks.

So have fun rebuilding for the next 3-4 years. By the time you surround Cutler with enough offensive talent the bears defensive core will be well passed their prime.

Comment

Working...
                              X