What is a franchise QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a franchise QB

I don't want to get back into the whole Mcjaygate thing so lets avoid that subject.
    Lets have a discussion on exactly what defines or makes a quarterback a franchise quaterback. I see this term tossed around on these forums a lot.
    In my mind, there are 3 franchise quarterbacks in the NFL, those being Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Tom Brady. Why? To me its about Super Bowl wins and regualr season wins, along with there importance to there franchise. Could they have made to Super bowls and won them without that quarterback. In the above instances, the answer imo is no.
    Debate on

A franchise QB is one that a team gets and then builds around. Most, including the OP, do not understand what a franchise QB is. Just listen to people in the NFL. A franchise QB doesn't even have to be good. If you spend money on a guy and then build around him, he is a franchise QB. If he sucks, then your team is dumb and is going to suck. If the QB is good, then you will be good when you finish building the team.

Winning and SB's have nothing to do with franchise QB's. Guys right out of the draft are franchise QB's and they haven't done anything yet. They are guys that teams are spending money on and building around though.

Comment

Originally posted by s_paton View Post
      I don't want to get back into the whole Mcjaygate thing so lets avoid that subject.
      Lets have a discussion on exactly what defines or makes a quarterback a franchise quaterback. I see this term tossed around on these forums a lot.
      In my mind, there are 3 franchise quarterbacks in the NFL, those being Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Tom Brady. Why? To me its about Super Bowl wins and regualr season wins, along with there importance to there franchise. Could they have made to Super bowls and won them without that quarterback. In the above instances, the answer imo is no.
      Debate on
      I understand this line of thinking, but I choose to disagree. If you are going to make absolute statements like that about championships, then Trent Dilfer is a franchise QB and Dan Marino is not.

IMO a franchise QB makes the ocassional play when necessary, and he makes good decisions under pressure and is a good game manager. I think there are far more than 3 in the league.

I would also included Matt Hasselback, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner (how can you not have a 2 time league MVP and Superbowl MVP?), and there are probably a few others worthy of making that list.

By the way, if you take Ben R. and put him on a team that doesn't have an awesome defense like the Cardinals, do you think that the Cardinals make the Superbowl last year with Ben instead of Warner? IMO the answer is no. His QB rating is in the bottom half of the league. People shower praises on Ben because he will have one or two good drives in a game, but how much would that help if he had a bad defense?
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        I understand this line of thinking, but I choose to disagree. If you are going to make absolute statements like that about championships, then Trent Dilfer is a franchise QB and Dan Marino is not.

IMO a franchise QB makes the ocassional play when necessary, and he makes good decisions under pressure and is a good game manager. I think there are far more than 3 in the league.

I would also included Matt Hasselback, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner (how can you not have a 2 time league MVP and Superbowl MVP?), and there are probably a few others worthy of making that list.

By the way, if you take Ben R. and put him on a team that doesn't have an awesome defense like the Cardinals, do you think that the Cardinals make the Superbowl last year with Ben instead of Warner? IMO the answer is no. His QB rating is in the bottom half of the league. People shower praises on Ben because he will have one or two good drives in a game, but how much would that help if he had a bad defense?
        I've been waiting for someone to admit this about Big Ben for a while and am glad you did I also completely agree with every word awesome post
        "Just waiting for the draft"

Kyle Orton Army Fan Club #33

Comment

Interesting question to ponder, actually. I'd say it's a difficult thing to pin down. I mean, there are a few no-brainers as you (OP) point out, although I would disagree about Big Ben. As AW4M and Jonesboro stated, he's overrated because of the strength of the team he is fortunate enough to play for.

Originally posted by jhns View Post
          A franchise QB is one that a team gets and then builds around. Most, including the OP, do not understand what a franchise QB is. Just listen to people in the NFL. A franchise QB doesn't even have to be good. If you spend money on a guy and then build around him, he is a franchise QB. If he sucks, then your team is dumb and is going to suck. If the QB is good, then you will be good when you finish building the team.

Winning and SB's have nothing to do with franchise QB's. Guys right out of the draft are franchise QB's and they haven't done anything yet. They are guys that teams are spending money on and building around though.
          Great post, jhns. I agree that often a "franchise" QB often is dubbed as one before he does anything. This is definitely one way for us to think about the whole "franchise QB" label.

I think another way to look at it is a blend of the posts so far. A QB who is someone a team builds around, who also has shown an ability to win games (not just manage them), and who possesses a certain level of innate physical ability.

In the end, using W-L and Super Bowl success as the measuring stick is too simplistic. For every "successful" franchise QB you could name, I could probably come up with one who did not have the success as them, but would have been as valued by his team (if not moreso).
          Last edited by Flatlander Fan; 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM.
          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
          FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post

Honestly, i just normally read the forums a lot and don't post much. I didn't intend by starting this thread to make people believe what i believe, i just wanted to get a general consensus on what opinions were. It seemed to me everytime i seen it used on here, that it was being used incorrectly.
            However, after reading your thoughts on the subject, it appears that the club decides who there guy is and we can assume by the personel acquired after that player is acquired that the player is there franchise player.
            I never looked at it like that, and it has merit. Thats why I started the thread.

Comment

Honestly, i just normally read the forums a lot and don't post much. I didn't intend by starting this thread to make people believe what i believe, i just wanted to get a general consensus on what opinions were. It seemed to me everytime i seen it used on here, that it was being used incorrectly.
              However, after reading your thoughts on the subject, it appears that the club decides who there guy is and we can assume by the personel acquired after that player is acquired that the player is there franchise player.
              I never looked at it like that, and it has merit. Thats why I started the thread.
              I think it's a difference of who a "perceived" franchise QB is and who an "established" franchise QB is. Quite often the two are different.
              FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                I think it's a difference of who a "perceived" franchise QB is and who an "established" franchise QB is. Quite often the two are different.
                Thats an excellant distinction also which leads to more questions. I had this debate with a co-worker recently, and I got the idea that my view on it was maybe a little uneducated.

Comment

franchise QB would be someone like Jay Cutler.

Comment

Thats an excellant distinction also which leads to more questions. I had this debate with a co-worker recently, and I got the idea that my view on it was maybe a little uneducated.
                    More likely that your view matches up with the ambiguity of the term.

In the end, it helps a team to have a strong QB, but it does not make the team a success. If that was the case, Elway would've had more than 2 SB victories during his career and Favre would've had more than 1 (yep, inferior to John).
                    FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by PatsOwnU View Post
                      franchise QB would be someone like Jay Cutler.
                      Not without WR's an O-Line and better coaching

Comment

Originally posted by JonesboroBronco View Post
                        Not without WR's an O-Line and better coaching
                        That was not the question was it, read it again.

Comment

In my opinion, you have a franchise quarterback when you no longer have to worry about drafting for that position (other than a backup).

Comment

Originally posted by PatsOwnU View Post
                            That was not the question was it, read it again.
                            Even if you build a team around a guy if he's no good he's not really a franchise QB just take Jamarcus Russell

Comment

Originally posted by JonesboroBronco View Post
                              Even if you build a team around a guy if he's no good he's not really a franchise QB just take Jamarcus Russell
                              Again that was not the question, you are throwing out variables to it.

Make a thread saying what makes a franchise QB with a certain type of O line and these type of wide outs and this style of head coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X