What is a franchise QB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkman View Post
    I think you are the one putting the spin on it , its not even close .He didnt cry his way , he said he would play Baseball, like Bo Jackson. Bowlen had had enough not to have taken Reeves side so it is kind of a moot point. And isnt it funny that Elway would later win a Superbowl against a Reeves coached team. Reeves was a good man Cutler a good Quarterback but the question is what makes a franchise Quarterback and the answer is one who stays with his team. Elway signed and stayed even through much adversity.
    Cutler didnt ,
    So because he was going to go play baseball instead, it is OK? Also, Cutler said he was going to show at the April camp. The only thing he missed was a workout that didn't involve the playbook. He had also already worked on the playbook when noone else on the team had for the month or two before hand. He didn't go against his contract in any way. So, it was the front office that got rid of Cutler. Don't try acting like this was all Cutler.

They handled the situations the same way. They said they didn't want to play for the coaches they don't like. There is no other way of looking at it. You are just trying to comfort yourself.

Comment

I think you are the one putting the spin on it , its not even close .He didnt cry his way , he said he would play Baseball, like Bo Jackson. Bowlen had had enough not to have taken Reeves side so it is kind of a moot point. And isnt it funny that Elway would later win a Superbowl against a Reeves coached team. Reeves was a good man Cutler a good Quarterback but the question is what makes a franchise Quarterback and the answer is one who stays with his team. Elway signed and stayed even through much adversity.
      Cutler didnt ,
      Staying with your team? I am pretty sure thats NOT the definition of franchise QB.

In any case, The team stood by Elway and Reeves was let go.

In this case, the team did not stand by Cutler. The team stood by a coach that hasnt coached one game with them. McDaniels wouldnt even refer to Cutler by name, or offer any commitment to Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        Yes he did, and he was traded and the 49ers won a SB without him while Joe played out the string in KC. So, the Niners didn't consider him a franchise QB anymore, traded him away, and won a SB. So I think the Niners would consider that a good deal for them. Look, just because you are a franchise QB at one point in your career doesn't mean you will be one as long as you play. There will come a day when Brady will not be the 'Man' for the Pats. Same with Manning and every other QB. Cutler is a good QB. He just isn't/ wasn't considered a franchise QB by the Broncos management or else he would have been here still.
        I call BS... not considered a franchise QB yet they wouldnt take anything less than 2 first rounders for him? Not a bag of cheetos either it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Buenacolt11 View Post
          I call BS... not considered a franchise QB yet they wouldnt take anything less than 2 first rounders for him? Not a bag of cheetos either it would seem.
          So, do you think the Colts would take 2 first rounders and a 3rd for Manning right now? How about Brady for the same compensation?

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
            So because he was going to go play baseball instead, it is OK? Also, Cutler said he was going to show at the April camp. The only thing he missed was a workout that didn't involve the playbook. He had also already worked on the playbook when noone else on the team had for the month or two before hand. He didn't go against his contract in any way. So, it was the front office that got rid of Cutler. Don't try acting like this was all Cutler.

They handled the situations the same way. They said they didn't want to play for the coaches they don't like. There is no other way of looking at it. You are just trying to comfort yourself.
            I need no comfort I am fine and will agree to disagree

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
              Because you're wrong. McD never initiated nor did he want to trade Cutler for Cassel. Period. Move on!
              how can u say that when it is quote from mcdaniels to cutler "YA we tried to trade ya and we will do it again if it improves the team" get your facts correct
              My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Where would the Broncos be if Bowlen had made a different decission , Elway when he became a Bronco became a loyal Bronco and that is where his heart was . Elway survived years of bad defenses of no run game but stayed a Bronco and toughed it out.Cutler never fully had that loyalty so the dicision was easy Reeves tried to trade Elway ,Adios Reeves (not to mention Reeves didnt know how to use Elways talents
                McDaniels made a play on Cassell and Cutler Said I want to be traded he had no fight to stay, Adios Cutler ,
                I am hoping and believe in the long run Bowlen made the right decision both times.
                Go Broncos !!!!!!!
                i hope he made the right decision also seems like we have alot of hoping goin on around bronco nation these days. By the way if you read cutlers quotes he didnt have a problem with JMD trying to trade him. He had a problems with JMD lying to him. More power to someone in professional sports to have the leverage to get out of what they perceive as an untenable situation
                My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by it'sjustagame View Post
                  how can u say that when it is quote from mcdaniels to cutler "YA we tried to trade ya and we will do it again if it improves the team" get your facts correct

He said "initiated", do you have some proof that McD made the first call?

Comment

a franchise qb is the leader the team. THE TEAM IS BUILT AROUND HIM. SOMEONE WHO CAN GET THE JOB DONE.FACE OF THE FRANCHISE

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      There are only a few stats that really matter.....and I respectfully disagree as well. I don't care what other stats you talk about if you are a winner, and everyone on the team and the league knows it. And when put into those situations, when the pressure is on, can you make it happen? If Ben's 2 SB years don't count then "franchise" is a word for something else, and not very tangible at this point of the discussion.

In fact, I have a feeling he'll get #3.

(Again......look at the oline and the backs and the receivers this past year. As a whole they were mediocre.)
                      Being a winner has nothing to do with it, QB's in general are given to much credit and not given enough when it matters. Dont let the stats decieve you, the steelers had the best defense in the NFL last season. 1st in everything but rushing, which was 2nd. They allowed 13 points a game, the offense of a supposed great QB mustard up 20th in points, 22nd in yards,
                      17th pass yards, and 23rd in rushing yards. Those are hardly great QB numbers, judging the QB by the team.

Judging the QB alone? Maybe he will do better, 17 passing TD's 15 Int's 3,301 passing yards, and an 80.1 passer rating. What about the 14 fumbles? (7 of those were lost) 469 total attempts, of those completed only 281. 59.9 completion percentage. I know "You know who" had way better numbers, less turnovers but didnt have the joy of the "other thing" mentioned.

Simply put Big Ben is a franchise QB, average at best, and surrounded by a great defense with a respectable running game. The wins are great but he doesnt deserve the credit for them, but rightfully so, when they lose (mainly because of his bad play) he does deserve that. That TD pass to win the Superbowl is a throw away ball, a ball that should have honestly been intercepted, but Holmes makes a highlight catch to win the game.

It has been said and I will say it again, a "FRANCHISE" QB, is someone that the team builds around. That may not work for alot of people in their own minds but in the case of real life NFL, that is the case. Being a "FRANCHISE" QB doesnt instantly make you great nor does it make you bad.

Comment

Originally posted by s_paton View Post
                        I don't want to get back into the whole Mcjaygate thing so lets avoid that subject.
                        Lets have a discussion on exactly what defines or makes a quarterback a franchise quaterback. I see this term tossed around on these forums a lot.
                        In my mind, there are 3 franchise quarterbacks in the NFL, those being Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Tom Brady. Why? To me its about Super Bowl wins and regualr season wins, along with there importance to there franchise. Could they have made to Super bowls and won them without that quarterback. In the above instances, the answer imo is no.
                        Debate on
                        A franchise QB is a QB that you build the whole team around what he can do best. HAs nothing to do with Superbowls. Archie Manning was a franchise QB and he never went to the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post
                          Being a winner has nothing to do with it, QB's in general are given to much credit and not given enough when it matters. Dont let the stats decieve you, the steelers had the best defense in the NFL last season. 1st in everything but rushing, which was 2nd. They allowed 13 points a game, the offense of a supposed great QB mustard up 20th in points, 22nd in yards,
                          17th pass yards, and 23rd in rushing yards. Those are hardly great QB numbers, judging the QB by the team.

Judging the QB alone? Maybe he will do better, 17 passing TD's 15 Int's 3,301 passing yards, and an 80.1 passer rating. What about the 14 fumbles? (7 of those were lost) 469 total attempts, of those completed only 281. 59.9 completion percentage. I know "You know who" had way better numbers, less turnovers but didnt have the joy of the "other thing" mentioned.

Simply put Big Ben is a franchise QB, average at best, and surrounded by a great defense with a respectable running game. The wins are great but he doesnt deserve the credit for them, but rightfully so, when they lose (mainly because of his bad play) he does deserve that. That TD pass to win the Superbowl is a throw away ball, a ball that should have honestly been intercepted, but Holmes makes a highlight catch to win the game.

It has been said and I will say it again, a "FRANCHISE" QB, is someone that the team builds around. That may not work for alot of people in their own minds but in the case of real life NFL, that is the case. Being a "FRANCHISE" QB doesnt instantly make you great nor does it make you bad.
                          Ben Roethlisberger = Franchise QB

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Ben Roethlisberger = Franchise QB
                            True

Franchise= Player team builds around

False

Franchise QB= Great player

Franchise QB= Team leader

Franchise QB= Winner

etc...

Comment