Get To Know Our Potential New Nose Tackle Chris Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get To Know Our Potential New Nose Tackle Chris Baker

These are some interviews giving a better glimpse into our new NT acquisition in Undrafted Free Agency. Largely considered the most talented Free Agent available, we apparently snagged him. Baker was very impressive as a Sophomore at Penn State in 2007 and he was very effective at Hamption, though against lesser competition in the MEAC. (as pointed out by Mediator12).

Read and Enjoy:

Here are three different interviews with Baker, if nothing else, it gives a better insight to the player since he is now our best hope at having an effective NT.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:.../2/853598.html

http://draftzoo.com/2009/04/chris-baker-interview/

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Draft-B...interview.html

Thoughts? I for one am very excited. I thought Baker was a 3rd-4th Round selection and a 2nd Round talent.

He's definitely the right size at least.

I wouldn't be TOO concerned with character issues, especially considering the guys we just drafted, you have to assume he is coming into a VERY positive environment for staying out of trouble.

It's not like there is a ton of depth ahead of him, so it wont be a surprise if he makes the team. Let's hope he actually sees some playing time.

If he really is 2nd round talent, maybe Nunnely and Nolan can make him a player who gets solid playing time next season...but I am not going to get my hopes up.
    Last edited by Gr3yStreet; 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM.
    sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Baker I think has the potential to be a solid starter for us this year. Not really happy about our depth ahead of him, but, his signing helps lessen my extreem worries about the defense right after teh draft.
      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Best NT in the draft behind Raji and Brace according some people. That's a good endorsement. He was projected as a late 2nd into the 3rd round type player
        sigpic
        I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

great info!

Interesting quote (among many)

A lot of teams have been in contact with my agent. I just came back from a visit with Tampa Bay; the Patriots are coming to Connecticut to give me a private work out. The Jets, Panthers, Redskins, Miami, Tampa, Green bay, Broncos, Ravens, and Patriots are all teams that have been showing interest

1. This shows the broncos were looking at D-line

2. Underscores what McDaniels said yesterday about getting to know the players.

Baker has made mistakes, but this kid has heart. He has a strong faith to go along with that strong body.

A good character.

I tell ya, the more I read about these players, the more excited I am to see how they do on the field.

Thanks MUG, for the links! Very enjoyable reading
          sigpic
          Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
          -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

Thoughts? I for one am very excited. I thought Baker was a 3rd-4th Round selection and a 2nd Round talent.
            MUG,

If you have him rated that high, and if you are reasonably accurate (which you are!!), then we may have got our Brace, w/o using a pick.......

Not a bad deal....

Comment

<i>Sources close to Hampton DT Chris Baker have said that he plans to enter the 2009 NFL Draft after receiving a 4th round grade from the NFL Advisory Board. Baker, 6'2, 298 pounds, is a former Penn State standout who had been kicked off the team after facing charges after two separate fights involving Nittany Lions football players and other students on April 1 and Oct. 7, 2007. He pleaded guilty to two counts of misdemeanor assault and criminal trespass, received two years of probation and paid $2,500 in restitution. Baker followed this setback by landing at Hampton where he received a second chance and earned 1st team All-MEAC honors after collecting 69 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 13 quarterback pressures, and one blocked field goal this year.</i>

Ouch.

He was widely considered a fourth round talent. Given how many of our draft picks we squandered, this is a great pickup.

Comment

Here is some more info that has me a bit worried.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...hris-Baker.php

Player: Chris Baker, Hampton

Height and Weight: 6-foot-2, 326 pounds

Position: Defensive tackle

Hometown: Windsor, Conn. (Windsor HS)

Senior year: 69 tackles (32 solo), 16 ½ tackles for loss, 8 ½ sacks

Honors: First-team All-MEAC

NFL Combine

4.94 seconds (40-yard dash)

24 reps (bench press)

35 ½ inches (vertical leap)

8-foot-10 (broad jump)

Is he a fit for the Patriots?

Whether or not he’s a fit for New England isn’t the only question facing Baker. He began his collegiate career at Penn State, but off-field incidents led to him being released by the team last July; he played one season at Hampton and elected to enter the draft despite one year of remaining eligibility.

Baker played at both nose tackle and end in the Pirates’ 3-4 defense last season. He has good quickness off the snap, gets leverage and pushes his man into the backfield, and has good moves to shed blockers.

Awareness and stamina are issues, as is his tendency to not work as hard against double-teams on the inside. Baker had a private workout with the Patriots on April 16; he is considered a late-round pick.

Sorce: http://www.projo.com/patriots/conten....f3ed12cb.html
                Last edited by Cire72; 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  MUG,

If you have him rated that high, and if you are reasonably accurate (which you are!!), then we may have got our Brace, w/o using a pick.......

Not a bad deal....

I'm right more than I'm wrong with the D-line prospects at least, but I have some very notable whiffs as well. I loved Frank Okam last year, and still do, but he's done nothing to legitify that to this point. I also thought that Paul Soliai could be a late round sleeper, he's a backup in Miami, and hasn't done much either.

I think the trick with Baker is that he has to behave. If he behaves, he can develop into a top DT. The fact he was so effective at Penn State as a mere Sophomore is very telling to me, and promising.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
                    great info!

Interesting quote (among many)

1. This shows the broncos were looking at D-line

2. Underscores what McDaniels said yesterday about getting to know the players.

Baker has made mistakes, but this kid has heart. He has a strong faith to go along with that strong body.

A good character.

I tell ya, the more I read about these players, the more excited I am to see how they do on the field.

Thanks MUG, for the links! Very enjoyable reading
                    No offense but how is a guy that got kicked off a team for fighting to the point of getting in trouble with the law a man of good character? Now I would give you he might have a agressive character that some of our players have lacked in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Cire72 View Post
                      No offense but how is a guy that got kicked off a team for fighting to the point of getting in trouble with the law a man of good character? Now I would give you he might have a agressive character that some of our players have lacked in the past.

I think you have to read the links. He claims it was mistaken identity but because his family was poor, they could not afford to fight it in court. The Penn State coaches seem to back up his character.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                        These are some interviews giving a better glimpse into our new NT acquisition in Undrafted Free Agency. Largely considered the most talented Free Agent available, we apparently snagged him. Baker was very impressive as a Sophomore at Penn State in 2007 and he was very effective at Hamption, though against lesser competition in the MEAC. (as pointed out by Mediator12).

Read and Enjoy:

Here are three different interviews with Baker, if nothing else, it gives a better insight to the player since he is now our best hope at having an effective NT.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:.../2/853598.html

http://draftzoo.com/2009/04/chris-baker-interview/

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Draft-B...interview.html

Baker looks like a good signing for sure. If he can perform adequately inside with Thomas and one out of Peterson/McBean/Askew/Powell on the outside, we might be okay.
                        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

It would seem that the Broncos have their legitimate NT now. I think he has to be considered a favorite to make the team.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Cire72 View Post
                            Everything in the above articles would seem to say otherwise. I think it's extremely naive to assume that the incident that got him in trouble couldn't have a perfectly reasonable explanation. Law enforcement gets it wrong all the time.
                            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

If fighting is his only problem that is good. We want someone that can kick some A**!

Comment

Working...
                              X