Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is more important for a defense?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I had to think about how to answer it because the question is way too simplistic.

    You should have broken it into DL, LBs, Secondary. In that case, I would answer Secondary. The most impactful single position on defense is the FS, followed by the SS. But clearly having a star DL and LB corps would be better than only having a star secondary. That's like saying is it better to have a great RB and an average OL or a great OL and an average RB. I think that's a no-brainer too.

    There is a misconception that the Broncos defense was bad because of the front 7 last year. When a team gives up the most long yardage runs, the worst 3rd down passing percentage, and the fewest turnovers, the issue is your safeties.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by jhns View Post
      I think a front 7 is by far more important. The front 7 needs to be the one stopping the run if you are a good defense. The front 7 should also be the one putting pressure on the QB to force them to throw. The front 7 also is resposible for covering TE's, RB's, and FB's a large percentage of the time. The secondary can feed off the front 7.

      The best corners to ever play the game still get burnt when the front 7 isn't generating a pass rush. There are many corners that played horrible until their team got a pass rush or they got traded to a team with a pass rush, those same corners were very good when they had a good pass rush. I can't name an instance where a corner came in and made the pass rush better or stopping the run easier.

      The last 3 teams to win the SB off of defense have done so with the majority of their stars in the front 7. The Giants, Ravens, and Steelers were all known for their front 7's the years they won the SB.

      I think you can get by with a weaker secondary if you have a good front 7. I don't think you can get by with a weak front 7 and a strong secondary.

      Those are my thoughts on the subject. The front 7 is far more important.
      I would agree with this assessment to a point. We had a good front 7 last year, but our secondary was awful. Teams were converting third and long on us as if they were a 3rd and short. Offenses were putting in an extra blocker to take care of the pass rush and our secondary was getting burned. I think we were last in letting up 3rd down conversions over 10 yards.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Lomax View Post
        You should have broken it into DL, LBs, Secondary.
        I would but we had a very specific debate going on. This poll was to see what everyone else thought about this exact question.

        Also, this isn't about the Broncos being bad last year or this draft. Everyone needs to stop trying to twist their answer to fit the Bronco homerism. Just answer it for what it is.

        I will also say that I agree with everyone that you need both to have a great defense. But again, this was a debate and the question is the way it is for a reason.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Lomax View Post
          I had to think about how to answer it because the question is way too simplistic.

          You should have broken it into DL, LBs, Secondary. In that case, I would answer Secondary. The most impactful single position on defense is the FS, followed by the SS. But clearly having a star DL and LB corps would be better than only having a star secondary. That's like saying is it better to have a great RB and an average OL or a great OL and an average RB. I think that's a no-brainer too.

          There is a misconception that the Broncos defense was bad because of the front 7 last year. When a team gives up the most long yardage runs, the worst 3rd down passing percentage, and the fewest turnovers, the issue is your safeties.
          great post !

          Comment


          • #35
            Just think of it this way..

            If you had a defense with Champ, Asomough, Ed Reed, and Palamalu, and the worst 2 starting DE's, worst 2 starting DT's, worst starting MLB, worst starting SAM lb, and worst starting WLB, would that be a better defense than say

            Peppers - Haynesworth - Kevin Williams - Jared Allen

            Bullock - Ray Lewis - Peterson



            Worst starting Corner - 2nd wost CB




            Worst starting FS - Worst starting SS


            Ya the point is not who is the best player at each position, I'm not going to argue with people who want to say there are better players at what position or what not. The point is that there is one really good front 7, and one really good secondary. Personally I feel that its pretty obvious that the front 7 would be the much better defense.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by jhns View Post
              I would but we had a very specific debate going on. This poll was to see what everyone else thought about this exact question.

              Also, this isn't about the Broncos being bad last year or this draft. Everyone needs to stop trying to twist their answer to fit the Bronco homerism. Just answer it for what it is.

              I will also say that I agree with everyone that you need both to have a great defense. But again, this was a debate and the question is the way it is for a reason.
              Regardless, it's a poor question. You might as well ask who's more important, Peyton Manning or everybody else on the Colts roster.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Lomax View Post
                Regardless, it's a poor question. You might as well ask who's more important, Peyton Manning or everybody else on the Colts roster.
                Obviously that is exactly the same..... All kinds of people talk about front 7 vs secondary. This isn't the first time. Amazing that they actually have their own designated names like front 7 and secondary. Obviously that is the same as a player vs a team.

                If it is a poor question, leave it alone. No need to make your own parameters. Make a different poll if you want to see it changed.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
                  Just think of it this way..

                  If you had a defense with Champ, Asomough, Ed Reed, and Palamalu, and the worst 2 starting DE's, worst 2 starting DT's, worst starting MLB, worst starting SAM lb, and worst starting WLB, would that be a better defense than say

                  Peppers - Haynesworth - Kevin Williams - Jared Allen

                  Bullock - Ray Lewis - Peterson



                  Worst starting Corner - 2nd wost CB




                  Worst starting FS - Worst starting SS


                  Ya the point is not who is the best player at each position, I'm not going to argue with people who want to say there are better players at what position or what not. The point is that there is one really good front 7, and one really good secondary. Personally I feel that its pretty obvious that the front 7 would be the much better defense.
                  No **** its 64% of the defense.

                  This is a better question:

                  Would you rather have:

                  A. 3 playmaking players in Front 7, rest are average
                  B. 3 playmakers in secondary, rest are average.

                  I would by far take the secondary because Safeties and corners can come up and get sacks/pressure, can help in the run game, can get interceptions, can stop big plays, and can shut down wide recievers. Sure linebackers can help in coverage and get occasional picks, but once the defender is past them, it's in the hands of the secondary to stop big plays.
                  I'm Cal-I

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    if you cant pressure the qb and stop the run it does not matter how good your secondary is

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X