Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did McDaniels get personnell rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is definitely something strange about this whole scenario.

Now, McDaniels definitely has an interest in the players that come in, but that was the poison that lead to Shanny's demise. That's my opinion. Given the transactions that have taken place during this 'transition', I gotta believe this had more to do with Shanny's style than personnel moves because personnel moves are always going to be a question mark.

I really don't know - but I know this - X man is a capologist and I really think if I had to chose between McD and X on talent acquitision target through FA or the draft, McD should be the guy.

If he's good or not remains to be seen. Either way, the power is BACK at HC in Denver.
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Originally posted by psychobear View Post
      I don't know that there is a misconception about NT. You are right... the NT's job is to hold a few linemen from getting on the linebackers. They won't put up huge stats... but the effect they have on this style of defense is tremendous.
      I meant a misconception with posters on these boards. Asking why we didn't draft for d-line when/if we go 3-4 the pressure is going to come off the edge with the lbs.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bahn View Post
        Signing Haynesworth would have crippled the Broncos salary cap wise. We wouldnt be able to get other players needed to improve the team.

Maybe because they saw that the personnel we already have will be able to handle the load. Regarding NT, we signed Fields and Baker (3rd best NT in the draft according to some people).

The defense isnt the only part of the team that needs improvement. Denver's Special Teams was probably as worse as the Defense. Some of the players signed will play SP.
        The salary cap is about value rather than cost. Would Haynesworth have cost a fortune? He would have and he did. But he would make everyone on that D better... so he may be worth that amount of money (although age is a concern). I really don't think Fields or Baker is the answer. I don't know that the answer was even available in the draft.
        Understand that I am a Bears fan but also that I have followed Orton's career. His ability to improve himself makes him a very easy guy to cheer for. I am here because I will continue to cheer for Orton unless his success interferes with the success of the Bears.

Comment

The salary cap is about value rather than cost. Would Haynesworth have cost a fortune? He would have and he did. But he would make everyone on that D better... so he may be worth that amount of money (although age is a concern). I really don't think Fields or Baker is the answer. I don't know that the answer was even available in the draft.
          At $100 million? I dont think any player is worth that much.

Way too early to tell how Fields and Baker will do at NT but the're all we got (maybe Powell or Thomas can play NT). If not, Terrance Cody is available next year.
          Last edited by bahn; 05-03-2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Mike Nolan knows exactly what he needs to make his defense work. He apparently was more worried about the secondary than the front 7. To say that it was all McDaniels I think is foolish. To not listen to your defensive coordinator who your fortunes are tied to is a stupid move. McD may be construed as many things, but I don't think stupid is one of them.

Comment

Way too early to tell how Fields and Baker will do at NT but the're all we got (maybe Powell or Thomas can play NT). If not, Terrance Cody is available next year.
              The mark of a dynasty that competes year in and year out is a healthy salary cap. You keep your salary cap situation healthy by getting bargains. You don't keep your salary cap situation healthy by overspending on free agents.

Comment

after reading the post today, Id say McD got the power because Joe Ellis decided to give it to him.

Joe Ellis is the man with the real power in dove valley.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, Haynesworth's contract is a typical Redskin contract. It's loaded on the back end which makes the total number seem huge but really it's money he'll never see. It's essentially a 4 year deal worth 48 million. He is guaranteed 41 million and it has a 5th year option of 29 million (and it's a 7 year deal... the Redskins history is to work out this type of contract and then ditch the player before they get the big money) It breaks down to roughly 12 million a year... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3940991

Think of it this way... if signing him made the 4 linebackers better and you see them playing great then is that money worth it? Is he going to make them that much better than they typical replacement? If the answer is yes than the 12 million a year is worth it because you could take those millions and attribute it to lower paid players that benefit from his presence and would be productive because of him. In the meantime it gives you 4 years to develop and draft a replacement at a lower cost.

I believe in building through the draft... and everyone always points to new england as far as how you do it. If you look at their history, they have made some pretty significant free agent signings in their history. You use the draft to build for the future by taking the best player available. You use free agency to address immediate needs. That is what new england has done time and time again.

I also think about the scheme... you hear time and time again that the key to a 3-4 is the NT. It makes sense that this player would take up more of your salary cap than other positions. Look at the Ravens as an example, remember when Ray Lewis basicly told the Ravens who to draft to help him out?
                  Understand that I am a Bears fan but also that I have followed Orton's career. His ability to improve himself makes him a very easy guy to cheer for. I am here because I will continue to cheer for Orton unless his success interferes with the success of the Bears.

Comment

Working...
                  X