Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we seriously keeping Prater as our kicker?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are we seriously keeping Prater as our kicker?

    We need a better kicker this year!! Anyone hear anything about it?

  • #2
    Keeping him is one thing, because despite his inconsistency, he has talent. The problem is keeping him without competition. There should be another kicker around, and as far as I know, Colquitt is a punter.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by justklees View Post
      We need a better kicker this year!! Anyone hear anything about it?
      At this moment, he is the only kicker on the roster. Not saying that that might not change, but he has no competition at the moment.

      Prater showed alot of promise at the start of the year, so I think it may be premature to call him a failure at this point. Statistically, his numbers are very similiar to Jason Elam's in his first year.

      I think alot of his problems can in some way be related back to the team as a whole. With Denver's inability to score in the red zone, he was called upon ALOT to put points on the board. That is alot of pressure for a rookie trying to fill the shoes of a kicking legend.

      Plus, most of our players under-performed as the season rolled on, not just Prater.

      I think he needs some experience and I think he will be fine. He has a tremendous leg and that can be hard to find. I want to give him one more season before we write him off. :go:
      sigpic

      I adopt andrewmlb.

      Comment


      • #4
        Kern and Prater

        After looking over the Roster it show Kern as our Punter and Prater as our kicker. The kicker needs to be more consistant than what we saw last year! Too many times we messed out on points because of the kick.

        Comment


        • #5
          I understand your frustration, but I think this is the one good move our Front Office has made so far. Prater has a lot of greatness in terms of kicking. His leg clearly gave out on him in the second half of the season, he needs to learn to keep his conditioning up, or maybe it's in the way he kicks it.

          When he develops he will be awesome for years to come.

          Comment


          • #6
            Good Point!!

            I suppose that is the optimistic look at it. I had no idea he is doing just as good as Elam was doing his rookie year. Maybe it was just a stark contrast to how we normally performing in that situation. I sure hope he improves then!

            Comment


            • #7
              I think Prater can only get better. Besides, who wouldn't want a Kicker who can kick the 50 plus yard field goal? We just got to kick the easy ones, which I'm sure will be addressed this offseason.

              I think he will be good for us for awhile. But I agree that we do need some competition, as that would make him better quicker.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by justklees View Post
                I suppose that is the optimistic look at it. I had no idea he is doing just as good as Elam was doing his rookie year. Maybe it was just a stark contrast to how we normally performing in that situation. I sure hope he improves then!
                I think one of the things that most of us forget when it comes to kickers is that so much of it is pressure. Everybody loves to dog on kickers for just needing to be able to kick the ball far and accurately, but the "under pressure" aspect of it is so underestimated.

                One of the reasons why Elam was such a great kicker for so long was because he could step up to any kick under 40 yards and hit it so consistently. He obviously had tremendous control over his nerves and you just can't expect that out of Prater in his rookie year.

                I think Prater has great potential. We all know he has the leg and the accuracy, he just needs to find that consistency under pressure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  :
                  Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                  At this moment, he is the only kicker on the roster. Not saying that that might not change, but he has no competition at the moment.

                  Prater showed alot of promise at the start of the year, so I think it may be premature to call him a failure at this point. Statistically, his numbers are very similiar to Jason Elam's in his first year.

                  I think alot of his problems can in some way be related back to the team as a whole. With Denver's inability to score in the red zone, he was called upon ALOT to put points on the board. That is alot of pressure for a rookie trying to fill the shoes of a kicking legend.

                  Plus, most of our players under-performed as the season rolled on, not just Prater.

                  I think he needs some experience and I think he will be fine. He has a tremendous leg and that can be hard to find. I want to give him one more season before we write him off. :go:
                  Props to the ava you IRISH F#@K..... Me too....
                  YAAAA!!! YOU TRIED BABY!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by avsfan987 View Post
                    I think one of the things that most of us forget when it comes to kickers is that so much of it is pressure. Everybody loves to dog on kickers for just needing to be able to kick the ball far and accurately, but the "under pressure" aspect of it is so underestimated.

                    One of the reasons why Elam was such a great kicker for so long was because he could step up to any kick under 40 yards and hit it so consistently. He obviously had tremendous control over his nerves and you just can't expect that out of Prater in his rookie year.

                    I think Prater has great potential. We all know he has the leg and the accuracy, he just needs to find that consistency under pressure.
                    I agree with this. I think Prater can be great. Althought, I have to admit that every time he came out to kick in a game last year, I got a little nervous.

                    I think you can equate kicking with a golf swing. If you keep your swing consistent, you can't go wrong. But you're right, it's a mind game for these guys out there.

                    All in all, I like Prater. I do hope he's been working on strength and conditioning. He admitted to his strength dropping off last year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rookie kickers historically don't do well ver often, so give him a bit of a chance to develop a little more. I think the guy is a solid kicker, he just needs to learn how to deal with clutch situations a little better. He'll be fine, just give him a little time.....

                      Besides, who needs a kicker anyway, we won't ever be kicking FG's so it doesn't matter!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dieselpower View Post
                        :

                        Props to the ava you IRISH F#@K..... Me too....
                        Defend Ireland!
                        sigpic

                        I adopt andrewmlb.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
                          Rookie kickers historically don't do well ver often, so give him a bit of a chance to develop a little more. I think the guy is a solid kicker, he just needs to learn how to deal with clutch situations a little better. He'll be fine, just give him a little time.....

                          Besides, who needs a kicker anyway, we won't ever be kicking FG's so it doesn't matter!!
                          There still is a problem with the extra points, which we saw for Prater, aren't a given. Haha

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            we got a legit special teams coach this year, lets see what good coaching can do for the guy.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X