Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowlen Interview

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bowlen Interview

    I found Woody Paige's interview of Patrick Bowlen interesting. Bowlen has been a good owner. If anything, his major fault has been delegating too much of the power in his organization to his head coach, a deficit he has again repeated with this last hire. We all need checks and balances and I see too few over this new coach and the others who have Bowlen's ear at the moment.

    However, I must give the man respect and I will refrain from getting further involved on either side of the great Bronco debacle of the Spring of 2009. I think the draft was a good, if not great one, and the free agent signings were good. I would not want to bet my family's future on being a player for the new coach, but he might well get some performance out of the guys he has picked.

    So, let training camp come sooner rather than later and I will judge both owner and coach by the record on the field, not by whether they are good, ethical humanists. The Broncos will be judged by whether they win, not by whether I think the organization treats people properly.

  • #2
    I believe he is one of the best if not the best owner. As far as any faults...His kindness, but I still feel that is not a bad thing. Giving to much power...not sure on that one. Just because all I know is what the media says. What some fans say(speculative). Look, all I know is he has given us his all and got us 2 sb. I will never have to argu with a Raider fan on the fact we never won one. That was alot of other team fans amo, we had no sb wins. Since then like magic, no more raider a** hole telling me that. So Thank you Pat Bowlen for all you have done and will do.:go:
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      There were two things that concerned me about that interview:

      1. Bowlen is experiencing short term memory loss. Is it possible that he DID tell Cutler that he wouldn't get rid of Bates and then just forgot that he had said it? Could Bowlen, himself, have created some of the problem because he looked like a liar in Cutler's eyes but in reality he is just getting older and slightly senile?

      2. Ellis has taken over all the decision making. I suppose in a way, it makes sense if Bowlen is worried about his mental acuity, but it is disconcerting. It says in the article that Ellis is the one who was responsible for the Shanahan firing, the McDaniels hiring, and the Cutler trade. What do we know about Ellis? and do we really want him running the franchise instead of Bowlen?

      I have put my faith in Bowlen over the years because he is a class guy. I hope Ellis is the same. And I hope Bowlen can still keep people accountable, especially his COO.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pilfin View Post
        There were two things that concerned me about that interview:

        1. Bowlen is experiencing short term memory loss. Is it possible that he DID tell Cutler that he wouldn't get rid of Bates and then just forgot that he had said it? Could Bowlen, himself, have created some of the problem because he looked like a liar in Cutler's eyes but in reality he is just getting older and slightly senile?

        2. Ellis has taken over all the decision making. I suppose in a way, it makes sense if Bowlen is worried about his mental acuity, but it is disconcerting. It says in the article that Ellis is the one who was responsible for the Shanahan firing, the McDaniels hiring, and the Cutler trade. What do we know about Ellis? and do we really want him running the franchise instead of Bowlen?

        I have put my faith in Bowlen over the years because he is a class guy. I hope Ellis is the same. And I hope Bowlen can still keep people accountable, especially his COO.

        . . . or did Bowlen just realize that he had been publicly caught in a lie and wanted to cover his tracks. Who knows? :devil:

        Comment


        • #5
          <----- Thats me after reading that interview! I am floored.



          Ellis is the man behind all of this?

          Heres the article link http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12281980
          sigpic


          Comment


          • #6
            What is the link

            Comment


            • #7
              • Even now, he doesn't understand why former quarterback Jay Cutler wouldn't return his calls and wanted out of Denver.

              I wonder how bad his memory loss is? He must have a good guess as to why cutler wanted out

              • The Broncos will "probably not" win the Super Bowl next season.

              • He would have preferred that the Broncos had drafted more defensive players last weekend.

              I agree with Bowlen on this, but many posters on this board dont.

              • He has not spoken to Mike Shanahan since he fired him.

              This one blows me away. I thought they were great friends. They havent even had a barbecue or gone to dinner?

              • He has turned over additional organizational responsibilities to chief operating officer Joe Ellis.

              I have a new man to hate. His name is Ellis.

              • He has "absolutely" no plans to sell the franchise.

              • His new coach, Josh McDaniels, committed "rookie mistakes," but he fully supports him and is growing more assured he will be outstanding in the long term.

              Bowlen better not post that on this site. he'd get called a teenager and be told that Chicago is that way ----->

              • His health "is good," but he has experienced "short-term memory loss" in recent months.

              Ive questioned his memory many times. It is sad when age takes away the essence of a man. For Pat's sake, i hope it is a slow process.
              sigpic


              Comment


              • #8
                I'm glad Pat mentioned the draft.

                Couldn't agree more.

                Pat really needs to groom someone in his family to take over, Joe Ellis is not the answer.

                As for McD, Pat doesn't usually say negative things....so....my advice to him is to hit it out of the park on June 1 at DT/DE/ILB because consumer confidence is gone and he wil be looking at empty seats if he doesn't.

                Comment


                • #9
                  IM in the same boat as Pura Vida. This interview floors me. While im still not a JMD fan I think hes doin the best he can with a very bad situation created by Ellis and himself. If shanny was right and the 2008 team was supposed to make the playoffs( if Hillis hadnt of gotten hurt we would have). Of course we wouldnt have done well but we still would have been in the dance. Just maybe there is a little talent on team after all. Who knows maybe shanny would have done about the same thing JMD had done with the dead weight. as people have stated you cant fix this problem in one off season. Back to the inteviews of Bowlen. Lets see Pat may say hes 100% behind his rookie head coach, however there have been 3 statements by Pat that would seem too say maybe hes not 100% 1. During the Cutler fiasco he stated " im very disappointed in the situation", that included all parties. 2. My coach has made some "rookie mistakes". 3. I wonder why we didnt draft more defensive players . Rememeber Pats a smart business man he know he cant undermine the coach so hes always gonna say he backs him 100%, but his rookie coach has him questioning a few things. As the aricle stated JMD's honeymoon was short and very chaotic. He gonna have to win and win lots real fast to placate the fan base . Hopefully he does that. One of the things that is being rumored around the news outlets around denver is JMD has a very short leash around Dove Valley, Mr Bowlen want to know whats goin on alot more now. Seems he doesnt want the "well it never reached Bowlen's desk " excuse to cause another fire storm. If i were a JMD blind loyalist i would be a little worried because even the owner is wondering whats goin on. Last question in this rant I wonder if Joe ellis has received many annoying phone calls after this article was published.
                  My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

                  What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

                  “They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”


                  Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Flavor of the day: Pat Bowlen
                    Next!
                    sigpic
                    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have always considered Pat Bowlen one of the best owners in the NFL, but after reading that he’s experiencing short term memory loss it makes me wonder about some things he has said or done over the years. Perhaps this memory loss isn’t that recent of a development. For example:

                      In 1997, before the new uniforms were unveiled, he said they were “predominantly orange”. Did he see them and forget what they looked like?

                      A couple of years ago he said Mike Shanahan had a job as HC as long as he wanted it. Apparently he forgot he said that.

                      He intimated after firing Shanahan that he wanted more control of his team, but according to this interview, Ellis has much of that control, and he seems to have given a lot of power to a rookie HC.

                      After firing Mike, he told Jay Cutler that Jeremy Bates and the offensive staff would be retained, and we all know what happened with that.

                      He said he made “repeated attempts” to contact Cutler over a twelve day period, and when Jay ignored him he decided to trade him. Now, in this interview, he says that he tried to call Jay twice. I wouldn’t use the phrase “repeated attempts” to describe two calls. Either he forgot how many calls he placed, or he was exaggerating to make Cutler look bad.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
                        I have always considered Pat Bowlen one of the best owners in the NFL, but after reading that he’s experiencing short term memory loss it makes me wonder about some things he has said or done over the years. Perhaps this memory loss isn’t that recent of a development. For example:

                        In 1997, before the new uniforms were unveiled, he said they were “predominantly orange”. Did he see them and forget what they looked like?

                        A couple of years ago he said Mike Shanahan had a job as HC as long as he wanted it. Apparently he forgot he said that.

                        He intimated after firing Shanahan that he wanted more control of his team, but according to this interview, Ellis has much of that control, and he seems to have given a lot of power to a rookie HC.

                        After firing Mike, he told Jay Cutler that Jeremy Bates and the offensive staff would be retained, and we all know what happened with that.

                        He said he made “repeated attempts” to contact Cutler over a twelve day period, and when Jay ignored him he decided to trade him. Now, in this interview, he says that he tried to call Jay twice. I wouldn’t use the phrase “repeated attempts” to describe two calls. Either he forgot how many calls he placed, or he was exaggerating to make Cutler look bad.
                        Oh my God, Pat Bowlens is losing his memory, oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        sigpic
                        I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                          Oh my God, Pat Bowlens is losing his memory, oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          you really need to go away till you have something half way intelligent to add to this board
                          My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

                          What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

                          “They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”


                          Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by it'sjustagame View Post
                            you really need to go away till you have something half way intelligent to add to this board
                            Really, like these your retarded replies?
                            Like you agreeing with Pura Vida distorted responses to Bowlens interview on the Post?
                            I'm sorry, but I'm not going to post retarded comments backing up comments from another retarded...
                            sigpic
                            I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Did anyone else catch two mis-characterizations by Woody Paige?

                              First, Bowlen didn't express that he had a preference that the Broncos would have picked more defensive players in the draft. He merely agreed that he was puzzled by the fact that they hadn't.

                              Second, he never stated that McDaniels made rookie mistakes.

                              Paige has been a critic of McDaniels and I think it is clear that he has let his personal opinion of McDaniels interfere with his work.

                              For the most part though, it was a good article and a good interview.

                              McDaniels haters should not interpret this article as a reason to believe that Bowlen has doubts about McDaniels and Xanders. He made no such assertions or implications. He made it clear that he is going to give McDaniels an opportunity to succeed.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X