Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Thing That Keeps Us All Happy...OLINE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One Thing That Keeps Us All Happy...OLINE

    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...600?source=rss

    There's basically only one spot on the Broncos roster that Josh McDaniels has left untouched in the nearly four months since was named the team's new coach — the offensive line.

    The team returns all five starters: tackles Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris, guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper and center Casey Wiegmann.

    "It makes the transition a lot easier," said Harris, who plays right tackle. "We trust each other tremendously, and we're working hard so that we can be a stable unit for this offense."

    The offensive line last season allowed only 12 sacks — a team record — which tied for the fewest in the NFL. Left tackle Clady, the team's first-round draft pick in 2008, allowed only half a sack, and Harris, who was a first-year starter, only 2.5 sacks.

    Harris said he "couldn't have dreamt" of a better year personally, but said he knows he and the rest of the line can play better.

    "There have been guys that have done it better, longer and that's something I hope to be able to do and say when my career is done," Harris said.

    McDaniels kept Rick Dennison, a long-time assistant for Mike Shanahan, in place to continue coaching the offensive line, and McDaniels has tried to implement some of Denver's old zone blocking scheme into the new offense.

    "They've done a good job of incorporating what worked for us in the past with what has worked for (McDaniels) in his past," Harris said. "Coach McDaniels has really let us do what is best for us given what he needs. That's helped a lot and made that transition less difficult."

    CanDB's comments:

    If there's one part of our game that should produce big time, day one, it's our offensive line.....or as some of us call them "The Mile High Wall". If they play the same or (try to imagine it) any better than last year, which gets me giddy just thinking about it, expect a ton of yards passing and running. In fact, some of the wholes they were opening for our beaten up backs were genuinely "spacious".

    This is the group that will define our offense once again, and help solidify any tactics we employ in 09.


  • #2
    That would be the strong link that will hold both our running game and passing game together and competitive
    sigpic
    I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      "They've done a good job of incorporating what worked for us in the past with what has worked for (McDaniels) in his past," Harris said. "Coach McDaniels has really let us do what is best for us given what he needs. That's helped a lot and made that transition less difficult."
      This is the best quote I've heard all season.

      thanks for the post.

      :salute!:

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you!

        Well, well! Something I can thank McD for! Thank you for keeping Dennison and keeping the OL! Mile High Wall? Great name! Keep the positive posts going. We need some of that, specially in these times.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by OverseasBronco View Post
          Well, well! Something I can thank McD for! Thank you for keeping Dennison and keeping the OL! Mile High Wall? Great name! Keep the positive posts going. We need some of that, specially in these times.
          Bobby Turner, RB's coach was retained. So, our whole OL will be looking pretty good this season...
          sigpic
          I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

          Comment


          • #6
            Honestly guys, some of you don't realize how amazingly good our oline was last year. EVERYONE check out this link:
            http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

            I mean seriously. We ranked 3rd in the league in yards/play (only behind Carolina and NYG) and 1st in pass protection. That is crazy good.

            I LOVE CLADY HAMILTON WEIGMAN KUPER AND HARRIS!!!!

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
              Honestly guys, some of you don't realize how amazingly good our oline was last year. EVERYONE check out this link:
              http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

              I mean seriously. We ranked 3rd in the league in yards/play (only behind Carolina and NYG) and 1st in pass protection. That is crazy good.

              I LOVE CLADY HAMILTON WEIGMAN KUPER AND HARRIS!!!!
              I am on the same page as you. And it's not like we are taking them for granted or anything like that, but they definitely PRODUCED in 08. And to think of it.....

              Clady - I thought he'd take another year
              Harris - Most of us weren't expecting much
              Kuper - Decent
              Hamilton - Getting old and torn
              Wieg - Last stand

              It's good that we are adding some depth, because I can see one more year with this unit, and then some replacement. That should work out just fine.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm honestly very glad we got some depth to our offensive line seeing that majority of the starters are aging.

                My question is can the offensive line play to the standards they played last year? Because honestly asking them to play at that level again is asking a lot which isn't saying they shouldn't but still.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The best part is we're set at both tackles for a long time to come, hopefully.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                    I'm honestly very glad we got some depth to our offensive line seeing that majority of the starters are aging.

                    My question is can the offensive line play to the standards they played last year? Because honestly asking them to play at that level again is asking a lot which isn't saying they shouldn't but still.
                    I certainly believe they can play at or above that level. Three of these guys are maturing and the other two are very experienced. Oliners takes years to gel, so anything we got last year can only get better.

                    I think the run game is where we witness their development, which will come together nicely with a fresh set of backs, and a lot less bad luck!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In a post months ago I stated one simple principle. In front of the Elways, TD's, Aikmans, Smiths, Bradys, Mannings, etc? In any dominant team you care to name there is one common factor that remains unchanged. An Offensive Line that can get the job done.

                      In our own case we had the Orange hush. The unit themselves wouldn't even speak of their own greatness but left it up to their play to shine for them. Shine it did, through two superbowls and against one of the largest nose tackles to ever play the game in the 1st Superbowl win. They consistently opened up running lanes that TD could easily find and run through. They also consistently protected Elway and gave him those extra seconds to find that open receiver. Does anyone else remember the last touchdown of that game? When TD walked into the endzone standing up, untouched by a single defender? You could have ran an 18-wheeler through that hole.

                      We have the core group on offense that we need, and thats the men in the trenches. They can not only do their jobs better than most during a game, but they also provide a challenge to our Defensive linemen in being able to penetrate that "mile high wall". How can that NOT make our d-line and LB groups better when they have to face that level of play during each practice?

                      I am getting more and more excited as this year moves along. I sincerely do expect us to play at a higher and more passionate level than we have in the last few years. Afterall when change comes along you have to step up your game to keep from being swept out the door. Go Broncos

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
                        Honestly guys, some of you don't realize how amazingly good our oline was last year. EVERYONE check out this link:
                        http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

                        I mean seriously. We ranked 3rd in the league in yards/play (only behind Carolina and NYG) and 1st in pass protection. That is crazy good.

                        I LOVE CLADY HAMILTON WEIGMAN KUPER AND HARRIS!!!!
                        QFT

                        Seriously to anyone who doesn't think KO or simms can get'er'done realize this with an o-line like ours it's almost automatic, even mediocre QB's can prosper behind a good o-line.


                        I mean just look at jacksonville, Garrard was a joke last year, the year before that he was one of the best in the league. The difference? O-line! KO and Simms both played behind junk lines, people need to just simmer down and wait to see what these guys can do with some protection. No one honestly knows what we have on our hands yet with this many weapons and this much protection!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by knoxman36and2 View Post
                          In a post months ago I stated one simple principle. In front of the Elways, TD's, Aikmans, Smiths, Bradys, Mannings, etc? In any dominant team you care to name there is one common factor that remains unchanged. An Offensive Line that can get the job done.

                          In our own case we had the Orange hush. The unit themselves wouldn't even speak of their own greatness but left it up to their play to shine for them. Shine it did, through two superbowls and against one of the largest nose tackles to ever play the game in the 1st Superbowl win. They consistently opened up running lanes that TD could easily find and run through. They also consistently protected Elway and gave him those extra seconds to find that open receiver. Does anyone else remember the last touchdown of that game? When TD walked into the endzone standing up, untouched by a single defender? You could have ran an 18-wheeler through that hole.

                          We have the core group on offense that we need, and thats the men in the trenches. They can not only do their jobs better than most during a game, but they also provide a challenge to our Defensive linemen in being able to penetrate that "mile high wall". How can that NOT make our d-line and LB groups better when they have to face that level of play during each practice?

                          I am getting more and more excited as this year moves along. I sincerely do expect us to play at a higher and more passionate level than we have in the last few years. Afterall when change comes along you have to step up your game to keep from being swept out the door. Go Broncos
                          Amen knox!!!!

                          Need to spread some CP love before I get back toy you.....:thumb:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Games are WON & LOST Up Front.....
                            We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of


                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Moreno is gonna go crazy behind this line!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X