This May Be My Favourite Broncos Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This May Be My Favourite Broncos Team

Over the many years I've pulled for the Broncos I have to say that this may be my favourite team of them all, from a people perspective. I used to love this team without knowing them as individuals, partly because I live so far away and do not get daily stories on the players themselves as you would living in the hometown of the team, and I wasn't a member of a site like this, full of great player stories on a regular basis.

And I have to thank Shanny and the new FO for building this team with character people. After posting an article on Rulon Davis today, and thinking about the quality of the people we have on this great team for some time now, I realized that this my be the Bronco team that pulls at my heart more than any before. I know that's a bit of a stretch given how much I loved the Elway, Smith, TD, McCaffrey years, and the days of the OC "over-achievers". But to be honest, I never knew as much about the individuals as I do now, and what I see is what I like.

Lasy year was a very character-oriented draft, with class men like Clady, Royal, Hillis and so on. In fact, I remember Mayock saying something about the character of the Broncos draft, after he took a moment to assess the overall group we had signed up. It was like, "I get it".

And this year....the FAs we have acquired are pretty much described as leaders on and off the field, and quality type individuals.....pretty much every one of them. Of course, Dawkins takes the cake, but what I read about Davis, Gaffney and the others always seems to end up with a comment about their character.

And after the draft......well it's been mentioned many times the appproach taken by our team in terms of signing quality people. I am already pulling big time for Moreno, Ayers, Smith, Davis and the others, for what I have seen and read about them. I get the feeling that Orton and Simms are good folks, and the list goes on.

Here's to the 2009 Broncos....maybe not the most talented, maybe not SB bound for a couple of years, but definitely a class act and likely to over-achieve in the coming season.

Last edited by CanDB; 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM.

Great post, CanDB. I agree with your sentiment, too. One thing that really stuck out to me when reading about our draft choices this year was how many scouting reports had the words 'team captain' in them. The captains are selected by the team, not the coaches, and that indicates respect and leadership from their peers. Check it out and you'll see the same thing. And that's just from our rookies -- it goes without saying that we have a quality group of individuals that will come together as a team and win some games for their fans. Dawkins, to me, is just the icing on the cake.
    sigpic

Comment

I am pulling alot for those guys too. Hopefully they don't pull our hearts right out of our chests this season and give us something to hold on too for next season.

On another note, man is going to be refreshing to see a good player wearing #33, not the embarrassment that was Marquand Manuel. Good luck Alphonso, show that your worth that pick next year!

Comment

I love how Alphonso Smith respectfully challenged his veteran colleagues for their jobs. This guy is so comfortable in his own skin and mildmannered, but has such a fire for the game of football just the same. Great press conference of his.

I simply cannot wait for NFL ....... at least preseason.
        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
          I love how Alphonso Smith respectfully challenged his veteran colleagues for their jobs. This guy is so comfortable in his own skin and mildmannered, but has such a fire for the game of football just the same. Great press conference of his.

I simply cannot wait for NFL ....... at least preseason.
          This guy is a charm!! Other than a small height issue, everything else reads star player. I love his confident and assured nature, along with his friendly smile. I would not be surprised for him to package a few key interceptions and return some kicks for some distance, and give us better field position....something that is sorely lacking on this team.

Comment

The passion is nice...

My Favorite Teams will always be the 95 to 99 Teams because we fought so many nah sayers and with the Big Crushing lost to the Jags at home and bouncing back to Win Back 2 Back titles after so many losses...Story Book
            We are the Organization that " EVERYONE " wants to be a part of

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theflammer View Post
              The passion is nice...

My Favorite Teams will always be the 95 to 99 Teams because we fought so many nah sayers and with the Big Crushing lost to the Jags at home and bouncing back to Win Back 2 Back titles after so many losses...Story Book
              No doubt......loved those teams!!

My thought process is as follows: I just didn't have enough detail on who the individuals were, because the news I got back then was minimal in terms of "character" and so on. Basically, when you are a distant fan, especially back then, you didn't always get the details like we do now. Whereas this new group we are fielding have a high level of character and class, who are out to restore the Broncos image of being a truly competitive force in the NFL.

I pull for an assortment of types including worthy underdogs, class people, comebackers, and so on, as many folks do. This Broncos team has lit a new fire in my belly, and not only do I like them as individuals, I believe they will surprise others along the way. And there is this hard to describe thing that is pumping the old adrenaline of late, each time I watch another interview or read another story about these men.......and believe me, I have not forgotten about Champ and the others who I have great admiration for as well.

Comment

You spelled favorite wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                  You apparently didn't attend school in Canada.
                  sigpic

Comment

In think they have amassed some incredible talent, I was pretty intrigued with some of the picks, and wondered about the trade in the second, but we’ll have to see how that pans out. Camps will be awesome, and so will the preseason games, It will be interesting to see the team that is fielded for the first game of the year, and watch this progress, but as excited as I can ever remember to see the product on the field, and how it comes to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                      You apparently didn't attend school in Canada.
                      Well done BB!!!

It's no wonder I want to return to Disneyworld and all the other is great sights in and around Orlando........must be the people!!!

:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                        Now you spelled it wrong!!!!

See BB's explanation above.....

Call it an exchange thing......

Comment

My favorite Broncos team was the one that won 2 SB's. Call me crazy, but I value play over character when it comes to building a team. We won SB's with a ton of questionable characters. This team doesn't even come close to comparing to those SB teams.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            I know that's a bit of a stretch given how much I loved the Elway, Hill, TD, McCaffrey years, and the days of the OC "over-achievers".

Who's "Hill"?

Character traits aside, more people will fall in love with the '09 team if they win 10 or more games.
                            Omaha! Hurry! Hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                              My favorite Broncos team was the one that won 2 SB's. Call me crazy, but I value play over character when it comes to building a team. We won SB's with a ton of questionable characters. This team doesn't even come close to comparing to those SB teams.
                              That was an easy one for ya jhns......

I didn't say it was my favorite ("may be"), but it may turn out to be, based on the few things that are quite clear to me........we have talent and we have tons of character. And for me, it's a lot about "likeability". I've pulled for teams before and didn't know the players that well, other than a few key ones. Turned out I wasn't impressed with some of the surrounding cast, which changed my views altogether.

This is just my perspective.....you have yours. Sometimes it does make me think a bit, how 2 so called seasoned posters like ourselves (although I'm relatively new still) never seem to agree on things. Hmmmmmm.

I'm going to work on this. Do you like beer? Do you like sunshine? Do you like nature?

I'm sure we can find some common ground.....

Comment

Working...
                              X