From NFL.com / Pat Kirwan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From NFL.com / Pat Kirwan

It seems like overnight this franchise fell apart with the loss of long-time coach Mike Shanahan. The Broncos also let Jay Cutler go and many veteran players have moved on as well. The conversion of the defense into a 3-4 package will take two years to complete, which makes things tough on the offense. Time will tell if the players can move on from the departure of Cutler, and the pressure on young coach Josh McDaniels could be brutal if the fans and media turn on him.
    I dont know where to begin with the fail in this assessment. We didnt "lose" Shanny, he was shown the door.

"Many veteran players have moved on"? Ummm, I think they were also given the boot.

As for the conversion to the 3-4, isnt this why we brought in tons of players with 3-4 experience and signed UDFA like Chris Baker to make the conversion faster.

This is why I dislike analysts so much. You cant pass judgement on a book just by reading the back cover. I know these guys have alot of teams to cover, but do your homework. When a team is going through such a major overhaul, put a little more time into your research.

He ranks us 27 (after the Rams nonetheless) based on the assumption that everyone is leaving Denver like rats running from a flood. They were asked to leave because of lack of performance and replaced with players with a history of performance!

Ok, time for my blood pressure medication now.
    Last edited by McSmashie; 05-17-2009, 07:07 PM.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
    I dont know where to begin with the fail in this assessment. We didnt "lose" Shanny, he was shown the door.

"Many veteran players have moved on"? Ummm, I think they were also given the boot.

As for the conversion to the 3-4, isnt this why we brought in tons of players with 3-4 experience and signed UDFA like Chris Baker to make the conversion faster.

This is why I dislike analysts so much. You cant pass judgement on a book just by reading the back cover. I know these guys have alot of teams to cover, but do your homework. When a team is going through such a major overhaul, put a little more time into your research.

He ranks us 27 (after the Rams nonetheless) based on the assumption that everyone is leaving Denver like rats running from a flood. They were asked to leave because of lack of performance and replaced with players with a history of performance!

Ok, time for my blood pressure medication now.
    Yea he's a hack most times. Here's the thing I like us flying under the radar, it makes it that much better if/when we succeed. It drove me nuts last year all the backhanded praises we were given last year they'd praise us in one breath and put us down in the next. It was so obvious that it absolutely pained them to say good things about us. We're like the ugly girl in the corner that no one wants to talk to but has to when the star QB takes her to the prom.
    sigpic

Comment

What kills me about his (and others) "analysis" is when they talk about all the veterans we supposedly have "lost." I mean, other than Cutler (and I grant you, that's a huge "other than" ) there hasn't exactly been a run on signing these guys. I mean if these "veterans" were any good, don't you think at least a few of them would have been picked up???

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
        Yea he's a hack most times. Here's the thing I like us flying under the radar, it makes it that much better if/when we succeed. It drove me nuts last year all the backhanded praises we were given last year they'd praise us in one breath and put us down in the next. It was so obvious that it absolutely pained them to say good things about us. We're like the ugly girl in the corner that no one wants to talk to but has to when the star QB takes her to the prom.
        Im all for flying under the radar as well. I just cant stand the "experts" (hacks) not actually having a clue what they are talking about.
        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco View Post
          What kills me about his (and others) "analysis" is when they talk about all the veterans we supposedly have "lost." I mean, other than Cutler (and I grant you, that's a huge "other than" ) there hasn't exactly been a run on signing these guys. I mean if these "veterans" were any good, don't you think at least a few of them would have been picked up???
          Im with you there. Most of our old guys had seen better days. Was Dre Bly really worth the contract we gave him? But, according to Pat, he left us!
          sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

I would be upset if we kept any of the veterans we lost, other than Cutler, but even then, I'd infinitely rather have a quarterback who wants to be here than one who doesnt.

Overall, If it takes losing Cutler to make our team enjoyable to watch, and to give me hope that one day we can do it again (something i lacked last year with our defense and Cutler's instability), then it was well worth it.
            I'm Cal-I

Comment

A lot of what McD has defied conventional wisdom. For some people everything seems absurd, for others it seems as something too new for some of us to comprehend. He's putting all the pieces together the way he sees it fit his system and how his team is going to play under
              sigpic
              I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by turtle18 View Post
                I would be upset if we kept any of the veterans we lost, other than Cutler, but even then, I'd infinitely rather have a quarterback who wants to be here than one who doesnt.

Overall, If it takes losing Cutler to make our team enjoyable to watch, and to give me hope that one day we can do it again (something i lacked last year with our defense and Cutler's instability), then it was well worth it.
                Cal-I is really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                  A lot of what McD has done goes against conventional wisdom. For some people everything seems absurd, for others it seems as something new for some of us to comprehend. He's putting all the pieces together the way he sees it fit his system and how his team is going to play under
                  Innovation doesnt lie in doing things that same way they have always been done. After a 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8 (major collapse), things needed to be done differently. Different philosophy, different motivation, different personnel. Im just not sure why these so called experts dont see that.

Miami and Atlanta did the same thing last off-season and they are better for it. Why are we getting blasted for it?
                  sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by turtle18 View Post

I totally agree with your post. There is a method to the madness and I think most outside the Broncos org aren't going to see much until training camps and the preseason.

For now everyone outside of here are going to have their doubts until the team can prove everyone else wrong. Just like the falcons and dophlins of last year. Articles and opinons just like this are all we're going to hear and see.

sigpic

Comment

Innovation doesnt lie in doing things that same way they have always been done. After a 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8 (major collapse), things needed to be done differently. Different philosophy, different motivation, different personnel. Im just not sure why these so called experts dont see that.
                      A wiser man than I once said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and execting different results." One thing is certain - we won't be the same team next year.

Comment

Miami and Atlanta did the same thing last off-season and they are better for it. Why are we getting blasted for it?
                        Miami has Bill Parcells who know what he is doing and is proven and the Falcons have a stud QB. If Ryan was mediocre, they would've been an average team. We can say we are the next Miami and Falcons all you want, but those type of turnarounds normally don't happen that fast. Also, the fins and the falcons were the worst and third worst teams 2 years ago. We were .500 last year, winning one or two more games to make the playoffs isn't a turnaround, its expected. But we have an unproven coach and GM, a subpar QB, and an extremely hard schedule.
                        I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                        I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                        I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                        "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                        God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                        Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                          Miami has Bill Parcells who know what he is doing and is proven and the Falcons have a stud QB. If Ryan was mediocre, they would've been an average team. We can say we are the next Miami and Falcons all you want, but those type of turnarounds normally don't happen that fast. Also, the fins and the falcons were the worst and third worst teams 2 years ago. We were .500 last year, winning one or two more games to make the playoffs isn't a turnaround, its expected. But we have an unproven coach and GM, a subpar QB, and an extremely hard schedule.
                          Is Chad Pennington all that much better than Kyle Orton? And Bill Parcells wasnt calling the plays or designing the schemes. He was bringing in talent. They had a rookie head coach as well. And after a 1-15 season, Im sure Miamis schedule initially looked hard as well.

Matt Ryan wasnt the only reason they made the playoffs. A MAJOR reason was Michael Turner, who took the pressure off of Ryan and put him in a position to be a low-risk QB. Maybe like Knowshon will do for us?

The reality is that anything can happen. You make changes in the hopes of moving forward. Yes, it is possible to fail, but both franchises overhauled to make themselves relevant again. As we do now.
                          sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Is Chad Pennington all that much better than Kyle Orton? And Bill Parcells wasnt calling the plays or designing the schemes. He was bringing in talent. They had a rookie head coach as well. And after a 1-15 season, Im sure Miamis schedule initially looked hard as well.

Matt Ryan wasnt the only reason they made the playoffs. A MAJOR reason was Michael Turner, who took the pressure off of Ryan and put him in a position to be a low-risk QB. Maybe like Knowshon will do for us?

The reality is that anything can happen. You make changes in the hopes of moving forward. Yes, it is possible to fail, but both franchises overhauled to make themselves relevant again. As we do now.
                            Look, I'm not going to start a whole war. I'm a bronco fan. I think our D will suck again and our offense will be worst as well. Our schedule is 20 times harder. I'm not optimistic about this season. Every football analyst practically have written us off. I hope I and them are wrong. But there is a reason they think this. There is no reason they are hating on us, the are just calling it how they see it. They're kinda like weather men, they predict the future but sometimes make mistakes, but the majority of the time they're right. They are the experts and we are the optimistic fans. I just hope they are wrong
                            I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                            I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                            I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                            "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                            God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                            Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                              Look, I'm not going to start a whole war. I'm a bronco fan. I think our D will suck again and our offense will be worst as well. Our schedule is 20 times harder. I'm not optimistic about this season. Every football analyst practically have written us off. I hope I and them are wrong. But there is a reason they think this. There is no reason they are hating on us, the are just calling it how they see it. They're kinda like weather men, they predict the future but sometimes make mistakes, but the majority of the time they're right. They are the experts and we are the optimistic fans. I just hope they are wrong
                              Im not saying you are entitled to your opinion, but I dont agree with it. I dont think we would have been any better next year but putting the same team on the field again, as Shanny surely would have.

As far as weathermen, well, they are typically wrong here in NY.

Same with analysts. How many times did they change their tune over the seasons. Pats and Colts are SB favorites. Then it was an all NY Super Bowl. Then there was NO WAY Arizona was going to make it out of wild card round, much less make the SB. SF was on the way up. Dallas was going to roll.

None of this came true and it was all what the analysts were saying. They make educated guesses, yes, but it is still guesses.
                              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                              X